PDA

View Full Version : Olive Oil And Water Spray

eemon2006
06-29-2006, 05:00 PM
I use olive oil on my hair and it made it really really soft and i was thinking if i could put it in a spray bottle so i could spray it on my hair when i comb out my hair but then i was thinking that olive oil only could be too thick and i usually comb out with water but with the combine them together i would have a get mixture that would leave my hair soft and moist so i was wondering if anyone tried this better and how it worked for them

blackernsweeter
06-29-2006, 05:03 PM
yup! i love my olive oil and water spray. i added tea tree oil to mine, feels good on the scalp.

ChelWren
06-29-2006, 05:27 PM
I always spray with olive oil and water. I love it.

70ssoulchild
07-03-2006, 02:27 PM
I keep olive oil, water in a spray bottle in my bathroom with a drop or two of lavender essentional oil added..it keeps the olive oil from going rancid and makes your hair smell great! I'd be lost without it.

MissThing606
07-03-2006, 03:21 PM
I used to use almond oil and water with some EOs. Does the olive oil and water separate at all?

datnat
07-03-2006, 03:24 PM
can tea tree, rosmary, or lemon EO also help keep the Olive Oil from going rancid?.....

blackernsweeter
07-03-2006, 04:47 PM
I used to use almond oil and water with some EOs. Does the olive oil and water separate at all?
[/b]

yeah, they separate. you can see one sitting on top of the other. i shake the bottle before i spritz.

can tea tree, rosmary, or lemon EO also help keep the Olive Oil from going rancid?.....
[/b]
this is a good question, i'd like to know too.

LilShortRib
07-03-2006, 07:35 PM
I have a bottle 1 part EVOO and 2 parts water. Shake it up well and you're good to go...

aunatural86
07-05-2006, 04:39 PM
I just started to do this and it works great. It makes my hair feel softer and most and makes combing easier. ^_^

Daughter-of-Diaspora
07-05-2006, 06:00 PM
I call it my "magic spray" ^_^

It leaves my hair so soft and easy to comb through.
I use a mix of evoo, water and a drop of leave-in conditioner.

Intisar_1229
07-08-2006, 08:56 PM
When do you put it in only after you wash or whenever you need to soften your hair? I think I want to try this.

Intisar

nappy_crown
07-11-2006, 11:58 AM
I use olive oil, suave coconut condish, castor oil and aloe juice; and mix with water (sorry no measurements....just kinda of eye ball it) and add peppermint and rosemary EO....my hair LOVES this stuff!!!

blackangel73
07-11-2006, 10:28 PM
I've just switched from patchouli EO to rosemary EO in my spritz .

I know that rosemary EO is beneficial for hair (I have locs), but I don't know exactly how.

Anyone know what the benefits of rosemary are?

BlackPearls
07-12-2006, 06:06 AM
Just to note, if ou ladies wanted to get your oils & water to mix a bit more as oppose to layering. You can find a cheap emulsifyer at your health food store called "lecithin". It comes in capsul form or in liquid form.

NappyHead11
07-13-2006, 02:26 PM
I have a question,"LilShortRib" what do you mean 1 part evoo to 2 parts water? does that mean like one cup evoo and 2 cups water?

Help me out, please!

The second thing is i heard that avocado oil works really good on your hair but what does it do? does help it grow the hair out or does it keep your hair from getting dry.
Ditto for the spray bottle w/evoo and water
:huh:
-Nappy

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Rae Rae
07-21-2006, 01:21 AM
I'm goin to have to try this.. only thing i been usin is the shine you buy at store but it just leave my hir feelin funny and still lookin a bit dry and floor be slippery as well

pheonixphire
08-07-2006, 03:54 PM
I keep olive oil, water in a spray bottle in my bathroom with a drop or two of lavender essentional oil added..it keeps the olive oil from going rancid and makes your hair smell great! I'd be lost without it.
[/b]
just told my sis to make a water,olive oil, glyserine concation i didnt know olive oil could go rancid what should we do to keep it from going rancid andhow long can she have this mixture before the oil gose rancid?

zaftig77
08-07-2006, 03:59 PM
::sniff, sniff::
I just had to give up Infusium-23 after reading Dee's post about ingredients, and I am trying EVOO, Tea Tree Oil, Water, Jamaican Mango and Lime's Island Oil, Glycerin, and a few drops of Lavendar EO.
It smells alright, and until I can make some home-made Leave-in it will have to do, but reading these posts makes me feel a little better about giving up the all the cones and yuckky stuff in Infusium-23's Leave in.

NaturalInnerRhythm
08-07-2006, 04:01 PM
just told my sis to make a water,olive oil, glyserine concation i didnt know olive oil could go rancid what should we do to keep it from going rancid andhow long can she have this mixture before the oil gose rancid?
[/b]

I didn't realize olive oil went bad either. I got brand new this morning and made a mixture of distilled water, glycerin with rose water, with a hint of carrot oil. Now, I will say i've never made a spritz with carrot oil - so, I will tell you guys how it is working for me later. Actually this thread reminded me that I brought my mixture with me... I am off to give my hair a little evening touch up...

(If this doesn't work for me, I will switch back to my olive oil or just add a little olive oil)

::sniff, sniff::
I just had to give up Infusium-23 after reading Dee's post about ingredients, and I am trying EVOO, Tea Tree Oil, Water, Jamaican Mango and Lime's Island Oil, Glycerin, and a few drops of Lavendar EO.
It smells alright, and until I can make some home-made Leave-in it will have to do, but reading these posts makes me feel a little better about giving up the all the cones and yuckky stuff in Infusium-23's Leave in.
[/b]

Question: where are you getting your EVOO from?

zaftig77
08-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Question: where are you getting your EVOO from?
[/b]

The grocery store. I got this one:
http://www.ocado.com/catalog/images-full/13886011_L.jpg

NaturalInnerRhythm
08-07-2006, 04:14 PM
The grocery store. I got this one:
http://www.ocado.com/catalog/images-full/13886011_L.jpg
[/b]

Thanks girl... I need a natural hair acronym guide to keep up with you ladies. Does the extra virgin work better than the regular stuff?

PatientDykeNYC
08-07-2006, 11:30 PM
NAMASTE EVERYBODY!
i have the same questions as y'all so i pulled out my books and also did a little research on the internet:

Olive oil absorbs well, is soothing to the scalp and contains vitamins and minerals. Olive oil is high in oleic acid and is therefore a good skin cell regenerator. It can be used in soaps, creams, balms, body butters, herbal infusions and hair preparations. Olive oil attracts external moisture to the skin and still allows normal functions of the skin to take place (sweating, shedding of dead skin and releasing sebum).

Then I got this from a COOKING site, so take the info as needed:
Olive Oil Handling, Safety & Storage:
Air, heat, light, and age affect the quality and the shelf life of olive oil, which deteriorates through oxidation (rancidity). The oxidation process is greatly enhanced when olive oil is stored in containers that are not air tight and in areas where it is exposed to heat and light. If improperly stored, olive oil can easily take on other flavors.

An unpleasant smell or taste indicates that olive oil is no longer desirable for consumption. A wine smell or taste may reveal that the olive oil was not stored properly. A metallic flavor indicates that the oil was stored in a container made with reactive metal. If olive oil has become rancid very quickly, it may prove that
the oil was improperly stored and has oxidized.

Storage Containers:
Olive oil can be kept longer than any other edible oil. Although it can get rancid, olive oil is less likely to become rancid than other oils, especially if it is stored properly. The best containers for storage are glass (especially tinted glass), ceramic, porcelain, or non-reactive metals such as stainless steel.

Olive oil will oxidize rapidly if it is not kept in a sealed container. If olive oil is stored in a bottle, always replace the cap on the bottle and keep it tightly sealed. Never put olive oil in a container that does not have a tight cap or some other method of sealing the container.

Do not store olive oil in containers made of reactive metals such as copper or iron. The chemical reaction between the olive oil and the metal will damage the oil and may produce toxins. Olive oil should not be stored in plastic containers because the oil may absorb PVC's from the plastic.

Temperature for Storage:
The ideal temperature for storing olive oil is 57°F, although a normal room temperature of 70ºF works very well if the olive oil is stored in a dark area where the temperature remains fairly constant. Olive oil will solidify at 36ºF, but it will return to a liquid state as soon as the temperature rises. In colder weather, olive oil may turn cloudy, especially if the temperature of the storage area falls below 50ºF.

Locations for Storage:
It is important to store olive oil in a cool, dark place. A wine cellar is an ideal place for storing olive oil because it is dark and the temperature is cool and constant. Since most of us do not own wine cellars, a kitchen cabinet located away from the stove and away from direct sunlight will work quite well.

Refrigeration will extend the life of olive oil without harming the oil. The oil will become cloudy and solidify in the refrigerator, but this will not significantly affect the quality or flavor. When the oil is warmed to room temperature it will return to a liquid state and its color will be restored. Refrigeration does not harm most grades of olive oil, but it is not recommended for expensive extra virgin varieties because condensation may develop in the bottle, affecting the flavor.

Shelf Life:
Olive should keep a minimum of 15 months if it is properly stored. If it is stored in its original container and remains unopened, it should last for 2 years or more.

Olive oil has the best flavor when it is used within a year after it is burnt and it is at its peak within 2 or 3 months after pressing. Unlike many types of wine, olive oil does not improve with age. As olive oil ages, it continually degrades and the acidity level rises. As a result, an older bottle of olive oil may have an unpleasant odor and taste. The oil will be neither harmful if consumed, nor very pleasing. Lower grades of olive oil usually have a shorter shelf life than top quality extra virgin oil because the acidity level is already higher at the time of bottling. A grade of olive such as semi-fine virgin, which has a much higher oleic acid content than extra virgin, may become less desirable after only a few months because the acidity level may rise to an unacceptable level.

Safety Concerns: Olive oil is safe to use even if it has oxidized. The flavor and aroma may not be very
pleasant, but it is not harmful if consumed.

[/b]
I haven't found anything that says that either tea tree oil, rosemary oil not lemon EO are preservatives. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Personally I use vitamin E oil as a preservative. I know there are other oils that can act as a preservative but i'm still looking for that information.

"Tea tree oil has gained immense recognition as the strongest anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-bacterial oil used in aromatherapy. Tea Tree Oil has a life of one year."

"Rosemary oil is herbaceous, sweet, and slightly camphorous in aroma. Rosemary oil is a stimulant, and it should be used with caution. It can help increase circulation and relieve pain in the joints. Rosemary can help control dandruff, oily scalp and skin, acne, and is said to encourage hair growth. Avoid rosemary oil during pregnancy or if you suffer from high blood pressure or seizures."

"The astringency of lemon makes it good for oily skin and hair. It can also help with bronchial problems and asthma, and it stimulates concentration. Lemon oil is said to reduce cellulite when used in body massage oils, body wraps and anti-cellulite salt soaks. When smokers are present, diffusing lemon oil helps rid the air of second-hand smoke. Note: Citrus oils may become cloudy when subjected to cold temperatures due to natural citrus wax present in the oil. Lemon oil is a strong photosensitizer. Do not use within 4 hours of exposure to the sun."

The second thing is i heard that avocado oil works really good on your hair but what does it do? does help it grow the hair out or does it keep your hair from getting dry.

"Avocado oil is enriched with vitamins, protein and lecithin (which is an antioxidant), avocado is an excellent emollient and natural emulsifier. Avocado is great on all skin types. It is an effective remedy for eczema and it absorbs well into the skin. Avocado oil has been used in African skin treatments for centuries. This highly therapeutic oil is rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, B5 (Panthothenic acid), Vitamin D, E, minerals, protein, lecithin and fatty acids. It is a useful, penetrating nutrient for dry skin and eczema. Avocado oil is said to have healing and regenerating qualities. It should be used as a massage oil at 10% dilution. Use in creams, lotions, balms, body butters, hair oils and lip balms. It also has a high percentage of unsaponifiables, making it a nice oil to use in soap."

[/b]
well vegetable glycerin has a shelf life of 1-2 years, and olive oil has a shelf life of about 15 months if stored properly, so i *think* that the concoction's shelf life would be of the ingredient with the shortest shelf life. 1 year, right?

Thanks girl... I need a natural hair acronym guide to keep up with you ladies. Does the extra virgin work better than the regular stuff?[/b]
extra virgin olive oil absorbs faster than non-virgin olive oil. so i think to best figure out the answer one should observe how your scalp and hair absorbs it.

HTH

love,
PatientSOULnyc

anthropology
08-08-2006, 02:18 AM
i use EVOO mostly every time i condition my hair.

and i add a capful to my conditioner and water leave in spray.

queenshawtii
08-08-2006, 05:21 AM
Olive oil is one of God's gifts to our hair. I like to mix mine with honey and condish. Ladies remember that whenever you add water to any oil, that mixture will have a short shelf life.Keep it in the fridge and use a small bottle so u are using it up in less than a week. Unless you use a preservative (Vitamin E is an antioxidant- it increases the shelf life of oils but it does not preserve water+ anything mixtures) you will get microbe growth that u may not be able to see in your mixes about after a week and it can lead to scalp infections.

MsTee
08-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Olive oil is one of God's gifts to our hair. I like to mix mine with honey and condish. Ladies remember that whenever you add water to any oil, that mixture will have a short shelf life.Keep it in the fridge and use a small bottle so u are using it up in less than a week. Unless you use a preservative (Vitamin E is an antioxidant- it increases the shelf life of oils but it does not preserve water+ anything mixtures) you will get microbe growth that u may not be able to see in your mixes about after a week and it can lead to scalp infections.
[/b]

Thanks for this tip! I shuddered when I read the last part...hurried to pour out the remaining mix I had, made a new one, and put it in the fridge!

kenkesha
08-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Goodness, so much to take in. Thanks, Ladies!

sweetbanana86
12-18-2006, 11:37 AM
I use olive oil, suave coconut condish, castor oil and aloe juice; and mix with water (sorry no measurements....just kinda of eye ball it) and add peppermint and rosemary EO....my hair LOVES this stuff!!!
[/b]

what is this EO i keep seeing in just about eveyone response and where could i purchase some Rosemary EO

and what do you mean by rancid

FaithSoulSistah
01-04-2007, 03:38 PM
what is this EO i keep seeing in just about eveyone response and where could i purchase some Rosemary EO

and what do you mean by rancid
[/b]

Hi Sis.

EO = Essential Oil
Rancid = Spoiled :)

Scarletjazz
01-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Made up a small bottle yesterday of olive oil and water a 1/4 pinch of rosemary
the seasoning cause I didn't have any rosemary... used it last night after
a cowash.. then again this morning just alone.. hair is not hard and rough.. good thing.
Once I get to the healthfood store I'll pick up some rosemary... I only made a small half
bottle cause I don't know the longevitiy of it.. will pour out after a week.

Scar

Secrets
01-10-2007, 11:24 AM
There is too much to take it, but I appreciate the advices on Olive Oil as well as the dangers. Dang! I gat to throw out that one I did two days ago and store a new one in the fridge now. Thanks ladies.