Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

When I was younger, I was told by my mother as well as others that our hair grows faster if its dirty and we shouldnt wash it often. I was told that washing it every week would cause it to dry out and break off. Now that I look back on those days I cant believe that I would go months without washing my hair. I used to go around telling all the other neighborhood kids that if they wanted long hair they shouldn't wash it... and they believed me and stopped washing their hair too... :P The sad part about it is I was 17 years old at the time. :lol: What are some myths that you've heard about our hair?
    <strike>Currently Transitioning</strike>
    BC: July 19, 2008

My Fotki- SMALL UPDATE 5/18/09~~~ [b]<span style="color:#993399">"I guess ignorance is still in style."[/i]

Ally787 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was younger, I was told by my mother as well as others that our hair grows faster if its dirty and we shouldnt wash it often. I was told that washing it every week would cause it to dry out and break off. Now that I look back on those days I cant believe that I would go months without washing my hair. I used to go around telling all the other neighborhood kids that if they wanted long hair they shouldn&#39;t wash it... and they believed me and stopped washing their hair too... :P The sad part about it is I was 17 years old at the time. :lol: What are some myths that you&#39;ve heard about our hair?
    [/b]
    Destiny giiiiirrrllll I thought I was the only one! You are NOT alone on this myth! I have heard that we shouldn&#39;t wash our hair often too! I don&#39;t know where people got that from. I think some people can cowash everyday and some cant. But hair should be clean! Think about all of the bacteria and grossness that we let sit in our hair when we werent washing it in the name of hair growth! Ugh! Makes me itch thinking about it! The other most popular myth is "greasing the scalp". My mother used to put VASELINE in our hair! Imagine that!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Destiny giiiiirrrllll I thought I was the only one! You are NOT alone on this myth! I have heard that we shouldn&#39;t wash our hair often too! I don&#39;t know where people got that from. I think some people can cowash everyday and some cant. But hair should be clean! Think about all of the bacteria and grossness that we let sit in our hair when we werent washing it in the name of hair growth! Ugh! Makes me itch thinking about it! The other most popular myth is "greasing the scalp". My mother used to put VASELINE in our hair! Imagine that!
    [/b]
    Lol... yes the beloved vaseline... I was suffocating my scalp for years with that crap!

My Fotki- SMALL UPDATE 5/18/09~~~ [b]<span style="color:#993399">"I guess ignorance is still in style."[/i]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats the same thing with hair grease. People thought rubbing it into your scalp made your hair grow, but just clogs your pores.
    Call me BAWB, please!!
    Reached my one year nappppppppiversary! OH boy!!
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a15...ssjuly-1-1.jpg
    Here&#39;s my Fotki!!! :D

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep! I have heard that too growing up - dirt and vaseline. All you get is nasty hair with goop on your scalp.
    http://khitaylor.com/Family/images/Siggys/hair2009.jpg

LADY 205 - BC'd 1/1/2008 - My life has had new meaning ever since.
    Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/Lady205/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because s/he doesn't do what you do, or think as you think. there was a time when you didn't know what you know today." ~malcolm X

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too was told that washing often was bad. But by a friend, not a parent. I didn&#39;t listen anyways, and my hair never grew. Of course not because of the washing but rather the heat, creamy crack, and styling abuse that I put my hair through before my revelation. I&#39;ve also gotten flack from my grandmother especially about not greasing my scalp for years, then one day I looked at those nasty ingredients and was glad I was too lazy to grease my scalp regularly. There was a period that I tried to do it, but I&#39;m too impatient for that kind of tedium. I&#39;m glad I&#39;m free of that foolishness now, though. And that&#39;s all that&#39;s important
    my fotki: http://members.fotki.com/babi71686/about/ feel free to leave comments, tips, and questions!!!!

****Found some creepy old guy in My Guests on fotki so now I have a password: nappylove

Samielle1 Guest

I heard that myth.

red_980 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh here are some different ones (from a friend who is natural ).

1. You must stra.ighten your hair once or twice a year to keep it healthy.
    2. You have to strai.ghten your hair to trim it.
    Thank you for making me pink, anonymous contributor!

Last CFC - March 7, 2008,BC - June 28, 2008

My Fotki - Updated Jan 2010
    http://public.fotki.com/realrednapps/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh here are some different ones (from a friend who is natural ).

1. You must stra.ighten your hair once or twice a year to keep it healthy.
    2. You have to strai.ghten your hair to trim it.
    [/b]
    Wow :lol:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast