Likes Likes:  2
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How often do you co-wash your transitioning hair?

I'm only 2 months into my transition and i've been co-washing my hair twice a week and washing with shampoo at the end of the week. I wear braid outs so when they get old which is usually after 2 or 3 days i co-wash my hair and rebraid it. But as im doing more research i've learned that co-washing is good for NATURAL hair; i'm not natural. um i would say that %95 of my hair is relaxed. I understand co-washing if you had more natural then relaxed hair.

also when i wash my hair i notice a lot of hair shedding, its kind of scary. I've also done my research on that so i know that its normal but i've never shedded this much.
    Has anybody ever gone through this and if so how did you deal with it?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there is no rule as to how often you co-wash your hair. I co-wash my hair maybe once a week if that. The main thing to remember is to keep your hair moisturized, and deep conditioned. I have been transitioning for 20 months and what I have learned is that what works for somebody hair do not work for mine. I have bought tons of products to find out it do not work for me.

During the early months of my transition my hair shedded alot, and my scalp was sore. After doing research, I was told to keep my hair moisturized and to treat it as if it was all natural even if it is only 95% relaxed.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just started co-washing my hair as well. I'm nearly 4 months in, and now my new growth is really noticeable, and to make matters worth, my relaxed ends are coming out in clumps when I try to comb my hair wet. I'm working hard to keep manipulation to a minimum, so I can only wash my hair once a week (I can't do wash n go's yet, so I have to comb it every time it gets washed, so I keep washing slightly less often than I'd like to.) I've got nearly two inches of new growth, and it's really starting to show so I totally know what you mean. Don't be too alarmed with losing hair unless you see more of it with the little white bulb at the end than usual. Hair with that little white part are shed hairs. The rest is breakage (which is also normal though extremely disconcerting). Low manipulation definitely helps, especially since I have that delightful matting going on at the line of demarcation. I can't wait until it grows out a bit more so that I don't have to deal with all that so close to my scalp!
    Last edited by Tel8; 12-25-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm three months now and i kind of figured out what works for my hair right now as far as co-washing goes. I know only co wash once a week and wash my hair at the end of the week. This past week i went without co-washing and my hair was a hot mess. I had so much product build up and re-twisting my hair at night wasn't working either so i kept it in a ponytail until it was time to wash my hair. i wanted to see if co-washing once a week was a must and it is, for my hair at least.
    as for as my shedding, i'm still trying to figure out that whole problem, it might not even be a problem. I'm still learning learning about my hair. we should become transitioning buddies. lol

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive been transitioning for a little over two months. I co-wash once a week and regular wash it 4 days after. It is early in the transitioning for my hair to start shedding. Last year when I attempted to transition at month 3 or 4 my hair was shedding alot. But then again it might have been because I didnt know how to take care of my hair then....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tashi_21 View Post
    I'm only 2 months into my transition and i've been co-washing my hair twice a week and washing with shampoo at the end of the week. I wear braid outs so when they get old which is usually after 2 or 3 days i co-wash my hair and rebraid it. But as im doing more research i've learned that co-washing is good for NATURAL hair; i'm not natural. um i would say that %95 of my hair is relaxed. I understand co-washing if you had more natural then relaxed hair.

also when i wash my hair i notice a lot of hair shedding, its kind of scary. I've also done my research on that so i know that its normal but i've never shedded this much.
    Has anybody ever gone through this and if so how did you deal with it?
    I have not co-wash in a very long time, co-wash was not doing it for me after a while as my hair is very thick and coarse. Beside there was build up on my scalp. I find pre-poo with oils and then a good shampoo followed up with a nice moisturizing DEC with oils and AVJ juice was my best friend.

Btw I am 23 months post and I plan to BC at my 24 months mark.

For your shedding issues, try Aloe Vera Juice (AVJ), it helps with shedding and it is also a good detangler. Also start learning to detangle with your fingers, be patient and tale your time. You are going to need all this and more the further along you get in your transitioning. HTH

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this is an old post but I've been looking for a co-washing post. I wanted to hear from other ladies and give my experiences too.

I don't think there is any rules for co-washing. It's what ever works for your head of hair really.

I first started co-washing when I was completely relaxed & I honestly don't know why I ever stopped!! [well ... I guess it was bc my last year of school was getting hectic & I got lazy]. When I think back to the times when my hair was healthiest ... it was when I co-washed Daily!

So, I've started do it again! Now, with my roots getting thicker I do it to make sure my hair doesn't break where the two textures meet [this combined with twice weekly deep conditioning has been the best!] If I don't feel like co-washing & dealing with a whole head of wet hair I'll wear the style for a couple days before co-washing again. Or lightly mist my hair & throw some rollers in before bed to help maintain the style a little longer.

Also, since I co-washed so much I would shampoo once a week and use an ACV rinse when needed. I also keep a cheapy clarifying shampoo around. Lately I've found that mixing baking soda in my shampoo & condish has helped keep my hair soft. So, this is something new I'm going to try with my transitioning/natural hair.
    Last edited by Abstraction; 09-15-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abstraction View Post

Also, since I co-washed so much I would shampoo once a week and use an ACV rinse when needed. I also keep a cheapy clarifying shampoo around. Lately I've found that mixing baking soda in my shampoo & condish has helped keep my hair soft. So, this is something new I'm going to try with my transitioning/natural hair.
    Not a good idea to mix baking soda with your shampoo and especially your conditioner as you are actually changing the PH and damaging your hair. More info on the science here - http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/...ampoo-and.html

If you need it may be worth put a bit of coconut oil on your hair before you wash. If you wash in the morning you can put the coconut oil on at night.

9. Likes Abstraction liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for this Bluebug! I had held off from trying it for a while & looked up several articles of about it before trying it out. It worked just fine for me & my hair responded well. But I don't think I'll do it anymore ... I don't want to mess with the science behind it hah

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There really is some great advice in this thread. Thank you to all who contributed.

12. Likes Miss T liked this post