Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cleansing Loc Rinse - Alternative to Washing

Hello All,
    Next month I'm going to spend 12 hours a day for the better part of a week on a pig farm, working on a film. I don't want the smell of pig poop stuck in my hair everyday, but I worry that washing daily won't be the best solution for my 11 month old Sisterlocks, especially those in the front, which have a tendency to loosen and unravel. Does anyone have any suggestions or recipes for rinses intended to cleanse or act as a shampoo substitute? Or does anyone have suggestions for a daily shampoo that isn't moisturizing or conditioning but isn't as drying as the Sisterlocks Getting Started Shampoo? Also, I live in Singapore, so all of the American, all-natural, order online only brands are not an option.
    I was also going to wear one of those multipurpose headwear things (they look like an infinity scarf, feel like a t-shirt and can be worn in just about anyway on the head) but I don't want to get lint in my locks.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like

I've Sisterlocks. You don't have to use that SL shampoo. There's nothing special in it.

It's not the shampoo or product that causes your hair to unravel. If anything, it's how you wash. Are you banding your locks?

I'd say take any shampoo, Dr. Bronners soap, soap bar, etc., water it down, and put it in a spray bottle. Wet your hair, then spray with shampoo, and squeeze it through your locks. Then rinse with water. Done. That should remove any dirt, debris, or odor.

If you need a moisturizer, use something water based like Greg Juice. Or look for a recipe to make your own that include vegetable glycerin, water, castor oil, etc.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt
    New things coming in 2014.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Chacha. I'm sure that after working close to pigs all day you will want to wash even if you don't feel like it. Suave clarifying is a good one to dilute and it's cheap too.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. I'll try that. I actually do two shampoos when I wash, one with the Sisterlocks Shampoo and one with an Aveda Shampoo, either the Rosemary Mint or the Scalp Remedy. I find that the over-drying effect of the Sisterlocks Shampoo actually helps my locks because Singapore is ultra humid. But once I return to the States, I am tossing the Sisterlocks Shampoo. For this pig farm adventure though, I have a Klorane shampoo for daily use and I'll try diluting it per your suggestion.

I got the go ahead about a month ago from my original consultant to stop braiding and banding to wash. It's only a few locks (maybe 6 in total, all shorter than my pinky or ring finger) on the hairline, at the temples, that are short and have a softer, finer texture that haven't settled, and it's those locks that I worry about loosening and unraveling. I took the retightening class, so I can catch the locks before they come completely undone, but I'd like to have to retighten less in general as I don't want thinking down the road.