Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Copenhagen, Denmark

who's been and who lives there?

i decided to say eff it to my london trip at the end of the year and visit someplace more exciting since i've always wanted to visit : copenhagen! or stockholm, more than likely copenhagen but i havent quite decided. i plan on going between dec 25-jan 2 and finding a place via airbnb.

i'll be starting a danish class in august so i can at least have some rudimentary knowledge of the language.

what's the city like? what's cool there to do?

2. Likes ValleyOfDecision liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't been, but I love that there's such a huge bike presence there.

Is this place where Santa Claus has helpers in blackface skippering around after him? Or is that just the Netherlands? That's the only thing that would turn me off about visiting that area during Christmas. You'll be there right after, though, so maybe they'll be done with that.

In any event, I know you'll have a great time! Be sure to update us with pictures and a trip report.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so jelly right right now

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skittles04 View Post

Is this place where Santa Claus has helpers in blackface skippering around after him? Or is that just the Netherlands?
    honestly, i have no clue nor do i care. i have better things to do with my vacation than to potentially get riled up about cultural differences and customs.

kari the tickets are so cheap!! i was going to go to london originally but those tix are $1500.. the copenhagen tickets are like $850!! granted the weather is going to be worse and colder and probably start getting dark around 4 PM, but it's cheaper

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skittles04 View Post
    Is this place where Santa Claus has helpers in blackface skippering around after him? Or is that just the Netherlands? That's the only thing that would turn me off about visiting that area during Christmas. You'll be there right after, though, so maybe they'll be done with that.
    That's Black Pete of Netherlands and the region. I'm going there soon. Blackface is your taboo not theirs. Not fair to impose your sensibilities on a totally different country and its customs. Black Pete is black, whether because he hangs around the chimney or because he's historically a darker skinned servant/slave/helper of the man who is now fashioned to be SinterKlaas. Unless, you are suggesting that real people of colour should play him these days especially as there is more colour in the populace of the country thanks to immigration.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl2012 View Post
    kari the tickets are so cheap!! i was going to go to london originally but those tix are $1500.. the copenhagen tickets are like $850!! granted the weather is going to be worse and colder and probably start getting dark around 4 PM, but it's cheaper
    I regularly look up prices to anywhere in Scandanavia from Montreal and the prices are pretty much in teh 15-1600$ range whereas by hounding the websites I was able to score tix at less then 700$ round trip to London. I will look into that Google Flight sight to see if I can put an alert in there for deals.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tenachie View Post

That's Black Pete of Netherlands and the region. I'm going there soon. Blackface is your taboo not theirs. Not fair to impose your sensibilities on a totally different country and its customs. Black Pete is black, whether because he hangs around the chimney or because he's historically a darker skinned servant/slave/helper of the man who is now fashioned to be SinterKlaas. Unless, you are suggesting that real people of colour should play him these days especially as there is more colour in the populace of the country thanks to immigration.
    Some of the black (& white) people born/living in the region find it unsettling, too. That's the only way I even know about it from reading articles and accounts that have somehow made it's way over here. I'm not trying to start a whole culture forum type post over it, though. It was just something that occurred to me as I was typing.

Anyway, I didn't mean to harsh your travel buzz. Here are a few Copenhagen-specific travel blogs to make up for it!

http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes....in-copenhagen/

http://www.mysweetcopenhagen.com/?m=1

http://unlike.net/copenhagen

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://americanblackchickinlondon.blogspot.dk/ <---- she's in Denmark now.

http://nicoleisthenewblack.com/ <----- she visited Denmark during Christmas break.

10. Likes ValleyOfDecision liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ thanks!!

Good news, my manager approved to have the company reimburse me for danish lessons

he thinks i should try to go to hamburg for a visit while i'm there (we have an office there) but i dont think i'll have enough time.

12. Likes Sahha liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl2012 View Post
    ^ thanks!!

Good news, my manager approved to have the company reimburse me for danish lessons
    Most Danes speak English so you aren't going to have a problem communicating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast