Likes Likes:  1
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I feel like I've had an epiphany in my natural hair journey. I've been natural for about 7 years and did another big chop about two years ago allowing me to sort of start over again. I've been an avid cowasher for most of my hair journey. To the point where I often didn't even have shampoo in my house. I loved the frequency of it (little did I know, co-washing required me to "wash" more often than necessary) and my hair seemed to be doing ok. I also prided myself on co-washing "the right way" avoiding products with "cones" in them and using water soluble styling products and plant based conditioners. Fast forward to my second big chop where I started to reevaluate my hair care regimen. I had some sensitive/sore spots on scalp that I always assumed they were left over from years of relaxing, however as a result I began to focus on scalp health and my decision to cowash exclusively. Aside from what I researched online, etc. it was my personal experience that sold me on the idea of not co-washing anymore. After only two weeks of going back to shampooing with a sulfate free shampoo, I noticed that my hair was softer and retained moisture longer. I don't need to co wash or wash daily or even ever other day because my hair isn't constantly dry and in need of replenishing. If anything, for styling purposes, wetting my hair and adding some oil to seal works better for me than cowash ever did since I'm starting with clean hair.

My goal going forward is to actually get to a point where I use a sulfate based shampoo for cleaning (I know perish the thought!) than follow up with a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. The sore spots aren't gone yet, but I'm noticing a reduction and the health and moisture of my hair seems to be improving. I know most of you probably know all this already but it was a huge epiphany for me That I thought I'd share. What have your experiences been with go-wash vs shampoo?
    Last edited by ebonyquean4u; 08-29-2016 at 09:43 PM.

2. Likes Miss T liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ni more cowashing for me

Our scalp is highly porous skin that exchanges secretions and metabolites(a lot like our arm pits). Both need soap n water. Now, I like Aubreys brand for sulfate free, and a few others from organic store. But I tried cowash for a minute, never liked it...scalp continued to feel grimey and I've read about others developing fungus issues...alopecia from cowash only. Good call! Thanks for sharing!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't find co-washing useful for me either, it's important to use a chelating shampoo too, to get rid of product build up.I used Afro Hair Solutions' Sulfate Free Shampoo and Deep Conditioning Bar. afrohairsolutions.co.uk.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went back to consistent weekly shampooing around the time of my last BC (summer 2015) or possibly earlier. For coil definition I used to be a big fan of bentonite clay masks but for some reason they stopped working for me. I figured out that I could get the same results from a good cleansing with a shampoo that really removes residue.

These days, I will co-wash in the middle of the week if I feel my hair and scalp needs it. Typically I can get away with a plain water rinse instead. However, my "real" wash day involves sulfate-free shampoo.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!