Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get my locs started tomorrow(thanks again for the referral, Danielle). Is there a different product I can use to cleanse my scalp besides Seabreeze? My scalp is dry as it is and Seabreeze has a lot of alcohol in it. I was told that I could use vitamin E oil to moisturize my scalp as it won't disturb the locking process. But I will need something to remove build up. Will witch hazel work? Anything else? Thanks.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wash it! you can retwist them.
    TO BE LOCKED IS TO BE FREE!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with delleaux honestly, but witch hazel should work also if you're really against washing or rinsing your hair.

If you're worried about washing hindering the locking proces, think about the alternative...locking with dirty hair! Talk about build up! Oil is good, but should be cleansed off the scalp regularly. For some, washing may slow the process a teeny bit but at least the hair will be healthy and clean when it does lock.

There are tons of threads/posts on this site about how to wash/cleanse/rinse your hair if you are inclined to search for them. Also the pinned topic "A Must Read for all Lockers" has great info for newbies.

Best wishes to you.
    ~~Started Locks (2STs): April 20, 2006~~
    Fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the beginning I played it straight down the middle..got it washed every 3 weeks. The washes weren't really strong, but at least water/shampoo touched my head. Meanwhile, you can use tea tree oil (full strength, or a blend by Hollywood Beauty, which is in every beauty supply store). If you get the pure stuff, use a little at a time, and make sure you don't have open cuts on your scalp. It, like any other cleansing/antiseptic agent, can be drying. It also has a strong smell...but the blended version isn't so bad.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with delleaux honestly, but witch hazel should work also if you're really against washing or rinsing your hair.

If you're worried about washing hindering the locking proces, think about the alternative...locking with dirty hair! Talk about build up! Oil is good, but should be cleansed off the scalp regularly. For some, washing may slow the process a teeny bit but at least the hair will be healthy and clean when it does lock.

There are tons of threads/posts on this site about how to wash/cleanse/rinse your hair if you are inclined to search for them. Also the pinned topic "A Must Read for all Lockers" has great info for newbies.

Best wishes to you.
    [/b]
    Thanks, and I DO have every intention of letting water touch my head...lol. I will rinse, but was told not to wash it in the same was as if I didn't have locs so not to disturb the process. I guess a good warm water rinse periodically along with the witch hazel may be good. I'll take a look around the boards and see what other info I can find.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it depends on what method because I can't for the life of me understand a process that prevents one from washing their hair! Freeformers do not seem to have this problem nor backcombing people so I ask is coils and twist worth all this? Dirty hair? I would think the more you wash the more your hair would be incline to lock. I would assume that is what freeform does? I just want to understand! :blush:
    TO BE LOCKED IS TO BE FREE!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you know i had been on the fence about this for a while but now i think witch hazel/shampoo alternatives are more harm than good. just wash your hair and gently twist it back in place. your scalp will thank you and you'll have less build up in the end.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ladies, you misunderstand. Reese will NOT be walking around with dirty hair. I'd NEVER let my hair stay dirty. Locs or no locs! Even when I wore braids, I washed my hair, unlike a lot of women I know of. The person who started my locs simply gave me an alternative way to cleanse my scalp and hair, rather than getting under a forced shower stream, with water-weight and fingers pulling and separating the twists. I couldn't stand to have stinky, dirty hair. I was just wondering about a different product other than seabreeze that I could use for my scalp that wouldn't be too drying, especially in between washing my hair. As far as the washing, I will wash with warm water at times, but will also do diluted shampoo washing. Even when I had my 'fro, I didn't always use shampoo or conditioner because I don't put a lot of heavy product in my hair to begin with.

I went to buy witch hazel, but forgot about how strong the odor is. I guess I'll use the seabreeze.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if you get one of those "net hats" and tie your locs down...you can do a fairly decent wash. Put your shampoo in a spraybottle - and spray your hair. Rub with fingertips gently - through the cap - then rinse by standing under the shower. Wrap head in towel with the cap on and all. squeeze - DON'T RUB!!! ....remove the cap and then retwist.

Dirt don't help your locs [/b]LOCK[/B].

HTH

:wub:
    Karma is a boomerrang that will bust you in the eye.
    PrincessDrRe, 2004
    The grass that is lush and green can very well be growing over a septic tank.
    Anabwi, 2008

SaPhia...it will return!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just rinsed my hair to get rid of the dandruff. My baby locs are still holdin' on! I was concerned being that the twists are only a week old. I couldn't stand to see those little flakes. I'll pick up one of those nets today! I already have my spray bottle. My hair is really thick so maybe I shouldn't worry too much about them unravelling if I get under a shower stream. Thanks for the advice ladies. I do appreciate it. I'm browsing the boards and have found some good info on keeping the itchiness away. I forgot about how well tea tree oil works. I'll have to pick up some more for my scalp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast