nita4 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How did you know when you were ready to loc?

I have like such mad loc envy. Of course there are some that I like more then others, but for the most part, I am totally digging them. I have done research, stalked albums, asked questions, and "think" that I am ready. I became natural on May 19, 2009. I wore my hair for about two/three weeks...loved it, but because of life, it was too much work to deal with at the time. I have been in two strand twist since. I love smaller to pencil sized locs. However, I think that I want to start mine either from my existing twist or braidlocs. I currently have about 106 twist and anything over 150 would be enough to maintain. Not sure which method of maintenance I would use, latching or twisting. My only concerns are...am I really ready for this journey; do I have the patience; and wanting to play in my hair.

How did you know when you were ready to loc?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew I was ready when I could no longer stop thinking about locs. I'd even have dreams about them. Plus, I'm not a hair person but I wasn't ready for a TWA.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CinnamonBiscuit View Post
    I knew I was ready when I could no longer stop thinking about locs. I'd even have dreams about them. Plus, I'm not a hair person but I wasn't ready for a TWA.
    ^^^^

That was from 2010. This time around, my hair decided it wanted to be in locs again. It grew out from a shaved head and kept tangling long before I had officially decided.

Himmy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, I had always...always loved locz, but was afraid to go against the norm. As I grew older (and wiser), I knew if I was going to continue to grow and truly be Himmy I was going to have to do what was going to make me happy and keep me healthy. I've always been a huge health nut (and some what militant). One day, my son looked at me and said "Mom, did you know every time you relax your hair you go against everything you believe in?" That day my son became my teacher. That was the last day I ever relaxed. I started my babies 2 weeks later...with the relaxed ends (I went completely natural 8 months later), and I've never looked back.

Good luck...I wish you all the best with your journey.
    Thank you, Jah!!!! Thank you!!!!

I updated my picture album here on NP ya'll. Year 4! What a blessing to be a loc sistah!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thought of TOUCHING my hair made me tired and a bit resentful. I was tired of loosing length with each protective marathon I did, I was tired of the 4-6 hour twist sessions, I was tired of it ALL.

So I locked.
    Best thing ever.
    Last edited by cheleski68; 03-21-2010 at 12:35 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i say go for it...if the first set doesn't work for you, learn your lessons and try another method at locking.I knew i wanted to loc when I started leaving my TSTs in to long, but was still digging the look the longer they stayed. Tried several attempts, and this current set is my longest.

TRRRRY IT!!!
    "Eventually I knew precisely what hair wanted: it wanted to grow, to be itself, to attract lint, if that was its destiny, but to be left alone by anyone, including me, who did not love it as it was..."
    -Alice Walker

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cheleski68 View Post
    The thought of TOUCHING my hair made me tired and a bit resentful. I was tired of loosing length with each protective marathon I did, I was tired of the 4-6 hour twist sessions, I was tired of it ALL.

So I locked.
    Best thing ever.
    Exactly. I couldn't have said it better.
    My blog - NappyLove
    Celebrating 10 Nappy Years - January 18, 2012!
    Follow me on Pinterest!
    Rock That Natural Board
    Loc Love Board
    Sisterlocks Board

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KnottyAuthor View Post

So I locked.
    Best thing ever.
    Exactly! I love my hair, and the thought of r.elaxing again has not crossed my mind, but geez I hate styling it. I just always want it in mini twists or braids anyway. I am tired of detangling and spending all day (or 2) twisting/braiding my hair. I have loved locs forever, but never got them, because my grandmother discouraged it (dirty hair, they stink, I won't be able to get a job, etc.). Being on this site and around nappturals in real life made me realize that wasn't true. I am so excited and ready to embrace the life I've wanted!
    fotki: naturallykristin
    Napptural since November 2007
    3 big chops - most recent: April 2012
    Locs started: March 2, 2013 (started and maintained by interlocking)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im in the same situations Nita4!!! im pretty sure this is what i wanna do tho all my free time i spend looking at loc pictures or reading up on history of locs.( such a loser i know)lol but when your really into something you wanna learn about it all the time, thats how i am now with locs. Im mostly afraid of the process! I go tuesday to get them started the lady that is doing them is gonna start with twist because of the length im really nervous but a excited type lol Im just ready for tuesday to get here!! plus im tired of wearing a ponytail

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd been natural for 3ish years. Armpit length hair. Knots EVERYWHERE. And this is with trims, no-heat, no-dyes & other chems, protective styling & covering my hair before bed each night. The longer my hair got, the more frustrated I became. It was either lock or chop down to a TWA (and start the cycle over again). Nah, I was done with all that. lolol. So no love story for me then...locking just seemed like the better option. But now, I absolutely love my locks!
    Last r.elaxer - December 19th, 2004
    Big Chopped - October 27th, 2005
    Sisterlocked - December 29th-31st, 2008
    <<- Avatar is from September 3rd, 2011

http://public.fotki.com/DeenaSmiles/

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast