PDA

View Full Version : A Few Issues With My Locs

EmpressKee
04-08-2004, 12:20 AM
OK, so I have been locing for a year and a few months. My first issue is this: I think my roots are a little choppy. I think that my hair fuzzes out at the roots to quickly. I wash my hair on Sunday and by maybe Wed. it's all fuzzy at the roots. What can I do to prevent? Also, I want to try a new style. Maybe curling them or something? How do I do that instead of being straight all the time? They are probably like 3 inches long or so. My pics are at..

http://public.fotki.com/empresskee

password is golden

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks guys! :mad

Sunchild
04-08-2004, 12:24 AM
Concerning the roots there is nothing to prevent that. That is apart of locking. There is another type of maintenance you could try called latching. That will keep your hair from unravelling after a maintenace session, but it wont prevent fuzzies.

To curl them you could set them on rollers, or perhaps twist them or bantu knot them while wet. Then take them aloose after they dry for a curl or crinkle effect.

Your locs are beautiful!

realbeauty
04-08-2004, 12:41 AM
Empress,
I have a question for you. Why did you make your locs so thick? I just starting my locs and they are much thinner.

aquababie19
04-08-2004, 01:13 AM
i second everything that AK said. your locs are so thick and pretty :)

stillwater09
04-08-2004, 01:22 AM
my locs are about the same age as yours and i go thru that too. i have 'larger' (a little smaller that yours) locs that just kinda hang there...i use sponge rollers sometimes. you may be able to pin-curl them too to get a slight bend.

fuzzy is locs... if it's your roots unraveling i would try latching like AK said. but read up on that.

ok, now give up the info on the red tips! ?? they look great!

Red
04-08-2004, 02:38 AM
Your locs are beautiful

Beryl
04-08-2004, 02:40 AM
Your locs look great and you look great in them.

thenewme
04-08-2004, 03:59 AM
Your Locs are cute. Whatever you are doing, you are doing it right!

rockinlocs
04-08-2004, 04:02 AM
Your locs are TOO cute!

ReddyLoques
04-08-2004, 04:11 AM
Your hair is beautiful... absoloutely wonderful..

(don't worry bout the fuzz and new growth so much.. enjoy your hair, and let it be.. you and the hair will be happier)

sonshinescoils
04-08-2004, 05:21 AM
just lovely. i'm digging the thickness of them on you.

nappyme
04-08-2004, 10:44 AM
very nice :app

alma2254
04-08-2004, 11:26 AM
your locs are gorgeous! I love the thickness too!

Don't worry about the fuzzies, its all part of the process and normal. Whatever you're doing to your locs is working well, they look great!

flybutter
04-08-2004, 12:09 PM
Hey EmpressKee

I couldn't get into your album to see the pics but I can relate to the fuzzies.

I latch mine and within a week the fuzzies are back. I just embrace them. The loctitian I went to in to beginning told me that I would always have a lot of what she called "filler". She called it before she even began locking my hair. She was just going by my texture. It's just loose hairs that just stand around and do their own thing.

When I latch, I just figure out which lock they belong to, wind them around the base and pull them thru. It works for me and my fuzzy head! :lol

thunderstorm
04-08-2004, 12:30 PM
it's the thickness that i love about your locs! they look healthy and beautiful. :)

locdbutterfly
04-08-2004, 01:12 PM
your locs look amazing...i am digging the thickness...

flynppy
04-08-2004, 01:14 PM
your locs are very pretty........ :)

flybutter
04-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Forgot to tell you that when I wash my hair, I braid 2, 3, or 4 locks together - then let dry completely. It gives it the crinkly look. May even braid then sort of roll, but just thinking about doing all that is making my arms tired!

sharynleigh
04-08-2004, 01:29 PM
:app :app Your locs are so nice. They look very good on you.

QueenLocks
04-08-2004, 01:45 PM
:pop What's Up?! Fuzz is the second stage of locs! [I call it the "Make or Break" a person stage, as some "HATE" it so much, they do the Big Chop, and quit the loc journey] Go through it sis, if it gets that bad, wear a hat! :-) http://www.Berzu.com :-) Oh, and for style, in my first three years, I used [I guess they're called "old school gollum fire cream for eradicating the napps Rods" or Gheri Curl Rods"] OR I used small sponge rollers, sat under a dryer for an hour [I used medium heat NOT High, it scorches my hair]. This will give you a little curl.... Take Care!

Wise1
04-08-2004, 03:39 PM
Your locs are beautiful. Stay strong what ever you are doing now is working. The Fuzz is part of the process. The thickness of your locs is beautiful and will make for strong root beds which will let your hair grow very long. Be patient ...remember it is s virtue!! Please keep up posted with your progress!

TEASIA
04-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Girl,
You are working them locs!! It's all apart of the process, keep up the good work! :amour

Ravensholst
04-08-2004, 09:38 PM
Your locs are looking good!

All-Natural
04-08-2004, 10:18 PM
I've been locking for 2 yrs now and I went through that phase around my third month.
But I got over it after I learned to

---Embrace the Fuzzies---

Your hair is beautiful girl, even if every strand is not in place.
That's what natural hair is about.
Our hair is like our people, strong and hard to tame.
Natural hair IS as Natural hair DOES.

moonchild
04-09-2004, 07:11 AM
Your locs are very attractive. It looks like you've picked an ideal thickness as well. As they grow, so will you and soon the "fuzzies" won't be a big deal. My youngest sister has been locing for about 8 years, her locs are long and about the same thickness. They are absolutely gorgeous and versatile. The styling options are endless. You've got a lot of wonderful hair days in front of you.

frohead
04-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Your locs are really pretty. I don't see anything wrong with them!

QueenLocks
04-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Hey? what's this GOLLUM FIRE Stuff? is P*E*R*M a bad word on this board now? :-? :huh

Clarity36
04-09-2004, 09:06 PM
You are not alone, two or three days after I wash my hair, it unravels. Part of the process.

silvi
04-10-2004, 04:53 AM
your locs are beautiful, and you wear them well. how did you achieve that color on the tips. it is very nice

Virtuous1
04-10-2004, 01:13 PM
Your locs are nice. I can see you are doing you. Don't change. The red tips are jazzy 2.

EmpressKee
04-11-2004, 04:55 PM
[B]Hello All..

First I would like to say thank you to you all for your kind words. All your replies and wonderful compliments are appreciated. I have never been a community as wonderful as this...

I began my locs at a loctician, so the thickness was based on her experience and the texture of my hair (so she said and I believe it). I will read up more on latching, perhaps it will work. But as for your suggestions on other styles and ways of curling. I will take into major consideration and next Sunday (today is Easter Sunday..washed my hair last night in lieu of today's events) I will be doing some creative things with said locs. Once again, I thank you all very much. Reading all your replies to my post made me feel so welcome and it also reminds me of how much I appreciate me and being natural all around.

Nothing but love for you all. :heart
Empress Kee

PS: I will embrace the FUZZIES! :bis

mommytimes2
04-24-2004, 04:20 AM
Follow up question....have you tried curling your locs yet? :) (I usually braid mine after shampooing and get a nice crinkle effect in the morning.) Let us know how it turned out :blah :blah

SoulStar
04-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Greetings,

Part of having natural hair is expecting it to be nappy or fuzzy especially when locking. So...get used to it and embrace the fuzzy's. They add character.

Bless