PDA

View Full Version : Hair Salon In Columbus, Ohio

Dezibkw
07-22-2008, 01:24 AM
Hi,
I am trying to transition and I haven't had a chemical fire cream since January of this year.
It is becoming challenging to deal with the two types of hair. Additionally, I am
ready for everyone else to be able to see the beautiful coils and curls that I can
feel. Does anyone know of a good salon that I can get my hair cut down to about
an inch and a half where my curls are? Thanks

kinkytwixts
07-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi,
I am trying to transition and I haven't had a chemical fire cream since January of this year.
It is becoming challenging to deal with the two types of hair. Additionally, I am
ready for everyone else to be able to see the beautiful coils and curls that I can
[/b]

The only place that I have tried is Touch of Class on Livingston Ave. Val is the best woman for the job in working with natural hair... good luck.. you'll be happy with the results.. she doesn't take all day either..!

OHR
07-29-2008, 11:36 PM
The only place that I have tried is Touch of Class on Livingston Ave. Val is the best woman for the job in working with natural hair... good luck.. you'll be happy with the results.. she doesn't take all day either..!
[/b]

I wish that I didn't have to drive so far to get to a natural hair stylist in Columbus. (I live on the NW side of town).

nawTgrl
08-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi,
[/b]

Is Val the stylist with Locs? She did my hair once before, I didn't care for the product she put in my hair. That was maybe 3 years ago. There seems to be a shortage of stylists for Natural Women. :afro:

Mojito Chica
08-13-2008, 07:40 PM
OMG, I've found Columbus people! I'm going to check out Val. I saw some ads on Craig's List but was not brave enough to call any of them.

eyezm4js
08-19-2008, 08:00 PM
A friend of mine found a girl. Her name is Karen and she works at Salon Lofts on Main Street in Whitehall. I've heard so many good things about her. Check out her website:

http://matchstylist.com/wwwsynergisaloncom/

or

http://www.synergisalon.com/

The only problem is that she only accepts new clients during certain days and times and she doesn't work weekend. I've talked with people who've went to her and she gets you out in 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

My friend and her daughter have appointments with her this month and I have an appointment the beginning of September. We will let you know how it goes.

prttygrl21
08-20-2008, 05:02 PM
People I know seem to really like Dani Carter at Queen Bee's Beauty Salon (http://queenbeesbeautysalon.com/index.html). It's across from OSU and near Eddie George's. I need to get my ends trimmed sometime in the near future and I think I'm going to try her.

I also recently received a card from a woman from Napps, Kinx & BB's Urban Day Spa (http://nappskinxbbs.com/). I've never been. I took a look at the website and the prices seemed kind of high. I think I might have to wait for somebody else to try that one out first.

eyezm4js
09-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Just wanted to give everyone an update. I went to see karen at Synergi salon (Salon Loft on main Street in Whitehall). I love my hair. It looks great and it feels great. I got to my appointment right on time @ 3pm and I was walking out the door at 4pm. She had other people in there, but she is so organized that you did not have to worry about them. She did not try to sale me anything. She did spend the first 10-15 minutes explaining to me what I need to do in order to keep my hair healthy in this process. She encouraged me and let me know that as long as I am willing to put in the work at home she is more than happy to help me grow my hair to its former beauty. You guys should check her out. She is honest enough and will tell you if she can help you or not.

OHR
09-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Just wanted to give everyone an update. I went to see karen at Synergi salon (Salon Loft on main Street in Whitehall). I love my hair. It looks great and it feels great. I got to my appointment right on time @ 3pm and I was walking out the door at 4pm. She had other people in there, but she is so organized that you did not have to worry about them. She did not try to sale me anything. She did spend the first 10-15 minutes explaining to me what I need to do in order to keep my hair healthy in this process. She encouraged me and let me know that as long as I am willing to put in the work at home she is more than happy to help me grow my hair to its former beauty. You guys should check her out. She is honest enough and will tell you if she can help you or not.
[/b]

Thanks for the update! I just wish there was a place to go in NW Columbus (Worthington) area, though.

delta98
09-04-2008, 12:36 AM
[/b]
what did you have done to your hair to get out in an hour?

luvmynaps
09-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Try Devin at Voltaire salon on E. Broad Street. She did my hair a couple of times when I lived in Columbus and she always did a great job.

eyezm4js
09-15-2008, 04:42 PM
what did you have done to your hair to get out in an hour?
[/b]

Right now I am just getting my hair washed, conditioned, blown out and then flat ironed until my hair starts to show some kind of new growth. I just got a chemical fire cream in July and decided then that I didn't want to do it anymore. The next time I go back I will try something different. I'm trying not to cut my hair so we are working together so that I do not have to.

prttygrl21
09-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Right now I am just getting my hair washed, conditioned, blown out and then flat ironed until my hair starts to show some kind of new growth. I just got a chemical fire cream in July and decided then that I didn't want to do it anymore. The next time I go back I will try something different. I'm trying not to cut my hair so we are working together so that I do not have to.
[/b]
Sorry, NP doesn't promote flat ironing and things. You should really think about letting go of the dependency on that as a styling option. But let us know about your experience at that salon once you've had some non-heat styled services.

Why is the site limited to tightly coiled, highly textured Black hair?

The reason it is limited to this hairtype is because we have found that it is the hairtype most feared and vilified in our community. It's the only hairtype we can't stay natural with for long with if we "fear the 'fro" (thanks to Taritac & LBellatrix for that term). Napptural hair is the type labeled "bad", nappy hair that needs to be "fixed."

This perception needs to change. We need to stop being afraid of our hair. We need to learn about our natural hair. We need to see natural hair worn on women who have embraced it. And the only way we can do that is to showcase our natural hair on its own merit without seeing it compared with other hairtypes.

1. Nappturality is all about acceptance of our hairtype and not carrying false expectations of what it can or can't be or do.
2. It's not about taking the easy road and conforming.
3. It's not about destroying your hair through continual straightening.
4. It's about accepting yourself and your hair as it was intended to be.

delta98
09-15-2008, 08:25 PM
[/b]
wow, i was wondering who was washing and braiding/twisting hair in under an hour!! lol

that explains that...but i think most people are looking for stylists that DON'T blow dry/flat flaming hot tool of hair torture. you may want to look through the heat archives to get some insight into what those processes do to your hair , i don't think you will get the kinks , curls, coils you want if you are doing that long term. you will will eventually have to cut the straight ends off because they will not curl or kink up.

redgal
10-15-2008, 04:53 AM
People I know seem to really like Dani Carter at Queen Bee's Beauty Salon (http://queenbeesbeautysalon.com/index.html). It's across from OSU and near Eddie George's. I need to get my ends trimmed sometime in the near future and I think I'm going to try her.

I also recently received a card from a woman from Napps, Kinx & BB's Urban Day Spa (http://nappskinxbbs.com/). I've never been. I took a look at the website and the prices seemed kind of high. I think I might have to wait for somebody else to try that one out first.
[/b]

Napps, Kinx & BB's: Don't they just do massages? I got the card too. It said nothing about hair. :huh:

redgal
10-15-2008, 06:07 AM
Napps, Kinx & BB's: Don't they just do massages? I got the card too. It said nothing about hair. :huh:
[/b]

Oops! My bad! They do hair! I was looking at the business card for massage. They sure do specialize in natural hair etc. Check them out.

OHR
10-16-2008, 12:30 AM
PrttyGirl,

I went to Queen Bee's last summer. I was less than pleased with the overall service, though. I thought I was very clear with my stylist (well in advance) as to my preferences several days before the appt....no brown gel and keep my hair as product free as possible. I arrive before my app't time..she's not there. I went with someone else who really tried to make me happy....but no. It didn't help that she made comments like: "Oh, your hair is so dry....oooh it's so short" She used the brown gel to do my twists, which I ended up washing out a few days afterwards.

Call me saditty..but the look of your salon is important to me. I come from a family of hairdressers...mom, auntie, sister, brother in law (he's a barber and hairdresser)...you get the idea. This shop was cramped. With kids hanging out while Mom got her hair 'did'. Big Mistake! I was taken to the 2nd level of the salon (which was ok w/me because it was quieter) while someone was found to do my hair. Mind you, it took me 20 minutes to drive from home, then find the nearest parking lot...then I had to walk from the parking lot to the salon, then wait until a stylist opened up the shop.

The original stylist never called me to touch base.....I'll never go back. Ya never know who your clients talk to...nowadays w/the internet, it could be to the hundreds. I will pay the acceptable going rate for quality hair care IF you do a good job. Just my 3 cents worth.

If ANYONE from Queen Bees' happens to see this....if you can fix some of the problems that occured the 1st time....maybe I'd reconsider.

Mojito Chica
10-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Dang, I'm just looking for someone to do my BC.

sweetmx85
10-26-2008, 08:15 AM
OMG, I've found Columbus people! I'm going to check out Val. I saw some ads on Craig's List but was not brave enough to call any of them.
[/b]

i thought the same thing when i saw this thread!!! im in galloway but still downtown cbus is like 20 min away if that. im so glad i found this site!! :):)

LTM1
11-07-2008, 02:54 PM
This is my first time posting, so here goes. I moved back to Ohio after living in DC for several years. While I was in DC, I wore long 2 strand twists. After moving back home and getting a divorce, I needed a change. I cut it all off and now wear it a couple of inches long, twisted in a little fro. I have tried Val and Karen. Val uses a product that is somewhat heavy. When I asked what it was, she said it was her personal mixture of curl activator and aloe vera. I like my hair a little lively and the product made it weighted down. I also had to wait. Waiting for my appointment time is hard for me because I think my time is just as valuable as everyone else's. I love Karen. She does not push the flat flaming hot tool of hair torture or chemicals, although she can do both. She respects your time and will get you in when she says and out. She took my hair short this summer and showed me how to move from my 2 strand twist to a finger rolling technique. She runs a very professional shop. As a matter of fact, I was searching for her site to schedule an appointment on line when I found this thread. I've also tried a couple of other people. In addition to wanting my hair to look nice, I also want to start at my appointment time, or pretty close to it. Not 1/2 to an hour later. And I like a quiet shop, some talking and laughter, but no drama.
Good luck.

Dezibkw
11-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi,
[/b]

Hi everyone, that you for all of your responses. It seems like there are very few places in Columbus.
As an update, I did the big chop shortly after making the previous post. If anyone is curious, I simply
went to a barber shop/beauty salon since it was pretty easy to see where the chemical fire cream ended and where
my natural hair began.

dgoins1
09-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Anyone have any good places to go in columbus or surrounding areas I want to start my dreads asap