PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Older Napptural Sisters....

extremelynappy
07-28-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm calling on all sisters who adopted their napptural hair after the age of 30 to encourage others in a similar position. Sometimes I feel lost in a room of teenagers on this site and I would like to be reassured that I am not alone in my journey. This is more than a teenage whim, but a journey for anyone with kinky, curly hair regardless of age. Let's support each other.

ImageCoach
07-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey there!
I decided to adopt my napptural hair at age 44 and just turned 45 this year. Why now? I think because I know myself better and I'm tired of the drama around cfc'd hair. I'm trying to work toward a healthier me and the chemicals I was putting in my hair were not helping that.

Nice to meet you! :hug:

swingbolder
07-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Hi there and welcome!

There are a lot of us "old folks" on NP we just don't engage in all the yikkety yak like the young'uns do. I guess at this point I usually say my piece and then let it lie. No point in spending all day typing away trying to convince some stranger of your position. I'm also way past the "gotta talk to my girlfriends all day long" phase of my life and that cuts down on my desire to post all the time. So while it seems like this board is overrun by teenagers, I think they just post more than other people. I could be wrong though.

I went natural at age 20 so I really can't answer your question directly, as far as going natural later in life, but I would think that at our age it's probably easier then when you're younger. There's less peer pressure, and I think we are also past the point in our lives where we obsess over our looks all the time. That makes it easier to just be yourself and do you, as they say.

Anyhow, here's my story in case you're interested:

http://www.nappturality.com/notm/swingbolder.html

extremelynappy
07-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Thank you all for responding. I was feeling a bit down about starting this journey and having some company helps to keep my spirits up. Thank you. Swingbolder, I saw your journey. Who needs Jill Scott with you around ... you are officially my napptural inspiration.

sunschild57
07-29-2008, 01:09 AM
Hi, I went natural for the last time when I was 37. Before then, I would do the big chop only to go back to creamy crack a couple of years later. It was a cycle, 2 years natural, 2 years fried. I still don't know much about natural hair (i'm 51) so I can offer no advice on how to take care of it. I've gotten into discussion with other women, some nappturals on whether i'm napptural because I usually wear my hair really short or no hair at all. Some women think no hair isn't napptural. I say as long as i'm not using chemicals, i'm napptural :D

I like my short hair or no hair. When my dh rubs my head I feel this intense rush of warmth. OK, TMI :blush:

Anyway, you're not alone :)

SilverQ
07-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Older Napp checking in. I went napptural before I discovered this board, so my method of transitioning
is pretty boring...wore a chignon and kept cutting. (I think it was 1990-1992).

Like Swingbolder, I don't post alot, but I do enjoy the "conversation". I lurk, might post, and keep it
moving. I really enjoy the diverse, international flavor of this board.

I'm also at the stage of life when I don't give a rat's booty about what others think,(re. nappy hair)--
so enjoy the company, get some great product and styling info and know you've made the right choice in going napptural!

SilverQ

anabwi
07-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Did the BC at 43, I'm 52 now. I just got tired of spending 3 hours or more in a salon, after my stylist showed up late for the umpteenth time, and still paying him. Best decision I ever made. :) :afro:

Denny
08-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Older young napp checking in :P . Had my last p.ermocaine Sept 2003 at 35 years old, just cos I figured why waste time and money sitting in a salon to p.erm hair that was going to stay in a pony tail for 8 weeks. So I transitioned by wearing braids when I got some length chopped off the p.ermed ends and wore a BAA or twists for a few years then in 2005 decided to lock. My only regrets are not locking earlier in life and not joining nappturality from its creation. This site is a blessing!

I think as one gets older you develop a 'I'm gonna do me' attitude - at each stage I did not discuss the matter with anyone, not even my S.O at the time, its my hair I needed no permission to style it.

I&#39;m on here almost every day cos I&#39;m an internut addict... <_<

simplyberry
08-02-2008, 07:39 AM
I started in my 50&#39;s. I call this a restart; because I was natural in the 60&#39;s and I wish I had never gone back to being a non natural, because it was hard to do the transition psychologically for all the people who had seen me change. For example, family members were accepting of my natural state in the 60&#39;s, they chalked it off as me going through a hippie trendy time. But when I decided to go back to natural now in my 50&#39;s they were mortified. Too bad. This works for me. And then there are co-workers who are straight and can&#39;t get their head out of the lye. I&#39;m not against perms if that is your thing--but leave my thing alone. Anyway, going through hot flashes and the general convenience of ignoring the weather, rain, fog etc. I&#39;m happy. So my advice is to commit and not quit.

Older young napp checking in :P . Had my last p.ermocaine Sept 2003 at 35 years old, just cos I figured why waste time and money sitting in a salon to p.erm hair that was going to stay in a pony tail for 8 weeks. So I transitioned by wearing braids when I got some length chopped off the p.ermed ends and wore a BAA or twists for a few years then in 2005 decided to lock. My only regrets are not locking earlier in life and not joining nappturality from its creation. This site is a blessing!

I think as one gets older you develop a &#39;I&#39;m gonna do me&#39; attitude - at each stage I did not discuss the matter with anyone, not even my S.O at the time, its my hair I needed no permission to style it.

I&#39;m on here almost every day cos I&#39;m an internut addict... <_<
[/b]

LBellatrix
08-03-2008, 09:11 PM
I went natural at age 30 years, 5 months, and 11 days. Does that count? ;)

I&#39;m 43 now. For most of the past 13 years I&#39;ve worn my natural hair out (not under extensions or wigs) and been responsible for my own hair care (no stylists/salons). I have the very kind of nappy hair that uneducated black folks insist CAN&#39;T be worn natural...but I do it and I usually give the :huh: look to anyone who dares suggest there&#39;s something wrong with it. I don&#39;t have to give that look often because I&#39;m not around uneducated black folks often.

(Just being real...and trust that "uneducated" runs the gamut from no-degree to Ph.D. Nonblack folks usually like my hair or keep their opinions to themselves.)

I have to co-sign Denny here:

I think as one gets older you develop a &#39;I&#39;m gonna do me&#39; attitude - at each stage I did not discuss the matter with anyone, not even my S.O at the time, its my hair I needed no permission to style it.[/b]

That&#39;s what a lot of (uneducated black) folks didn&#39;t get when I first BC&#39;d and later when I started locking: that I&#39;m a FREE HUMAN BEING just like every (nonblack) body else out here and just like those (nonblack) people I don&#39;t need anybody (black, nonblack, or other) to tell me how to wear my hair. ^_^

I&#39;m on here almost every day cos I&#39;m an internut addict... [/b]

Gotta co-sign on this too <_< though I&#39;m about to get Internet at home again and I&#39;m making a solemn vow to keep my addiction under control this time... :lol:

canarsiechik88
08-04-2008, 04:28 AM
younger napptural has stepped in :P

just wanted to say hello and i hope everyone is doing good!!!!!

:P ttyl

cc88!!

okay youguys can kickme out ^_^

SilverQ
08-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Gotta co-sign on this too <_< though I&#39;m about to get Internet at home again and I&#39;m making a solemn vow to keep my addiction under control this time... :lol:
[/b]

Yeah right... ;)

SilverQ

Fedyfro
08-05-2008, 12:45 AM
I started my transition this year at 44. I think it took me so long because I kept looking for a haircare professional to assist me with my journey and I finally realized that was not going to happen.

This is a good place to connect with others in your age range who understand that for many it is a psychological journey but who also know once you get to be over 35 you care less and less what others think.

KimGrayer
08-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Hello all,
I&#39;ll be 42 next month and this is my fourth time going natural. I&#39;ve been napptural a year and locked for 11 months. I don&#39;t post that much and lurking works fine. I&#39;ve gotten many good tips from this site as well as many laughs. I am usually on here all day while I should be working which is now! Good meeting everyone!

msdeevan
08-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Checking in ...I decided to go natural in my late 40&#39;s close to 5 years ago.

I had wanted to do it for a long time. I was never into going to the salon . I hated the waste of time and energy and all the rest that went with going to the salon. and I never wanted that bone straight shiny look that so many black women love.

I made my final decision after i got sick and I noticed the top of my hair was thinning out. There are so many older black women that are slaves to wigs or have very little sparse hair and that&#39;s not what I wanted for myself so I took the plunge and just started cutting my long, relaxed hair up as the new growth grew out.

That was the best thing I ever did and I don&#39;t regeret it for a minute.

kellistarr
08-06-2008, 11:46 PM
I&#39;m calling on all sisters who adopted their napptural hair after the age of 30 to encourage others in a similar position. Sometimes I feel lost in a room of teenagers on this site and I would like to be reassured that I am not alone in my journey. This is more than a teenage whim, but a journey for anyone with kinky, curly hair regardless of age. Let&#39;s support each other.
[/b]

Hello,

I decided to change into a Napp Girl when I was 40. I&#39;d think of how great it would be if I could just wash my hair and style it without all of the aggravation of the blow dryer and curling irons, curling rods etc... I loved styling my hair and wanted the freedom of wearing ponytails, twists, braids and even curls without chemicals and tools. I saw other race (s) of women wearing their hair natural and thought: I want natural hair.
I actually wanted to do this earlier (in my 30&#39;s) but didn&#39;t research what I&#39;d need to do to take care of my hair in its natural state. Once I got educated, I decided to save my hair while I still had some on my head to save! Good Luck!!!!!

nappiejean
08-07-2008, 10:45 PM
A 54 year old nappy signs in to say that I sure am glad to see that the number of over 40s is growing here on the site.

I&#39;ve been natural all my adult life. Never had a perm, but I did use the flaming hot tool of hair torture back in high school. I went off to college in &#39;72 with an Afro and never looked back. After sporting a huge &#39;fro for about ten years, from 1982-2006 I settled on a twa. When I decided to ditch my barber in&#39;06 I knew next to nothing about caring for a head full of natural hair. All I knew was that I wanted a change. Five months into hair growth and, quite frankly, on the verge of going back to my barber out of frustration I stumbled on this website and learned (from many younger nappies here on this site) everything I need to know about caring for and styling shoulder length nappy hair.

I look forward to exchanging styling and hair care ideas with women who are my contemporaries.

extremelynappy
08-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Wow Nappiejean, no r.elaxer all your adult life!??

:clap:

Just curious, was it deliberate or just a passive action.

nappiejean
08-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Sorry it took me so long to respond.

How did I manage all these years to avoid a perm?

Much of my adult life has been in academia where you&#39;re likely to find lots of nappies. All that reading and teaching about history, culture, politics, and race have a way of keeping you up to date on how subjugated peoples are influenced by their oppressors and make you tend to constantly interrogate your own values and sense of beauty. I simply never was tempted to perm nor press.

Even now, I haven&#39;t had this much hair and this length of hair in over 30 years. All those years of wearing a twa I never had to fret over how to wear my hair. Growing my hair out was probably part of a middle age transition thing. But I love it. I love being nappy. Always have.

Kalia
08-17-2008, 03:11 PM
I went natural at the age of 35. I am now 40 and although at times I contemplate going back. I am like the girl in "Coming to America" when she says "naah". Being natural has helped me in many ways embrace my true self. Being a sufferer of alopecia too the benefits of going back are simply none. I regret not staying natural from childhood because perhaps my scarring alopecia would have never occurred.

I have informed my daughter that she will not be allowed to perm her hair. If she chooses that as an option she will be an adult doing so. She checks out the site with me occassionally and I show her the progress that some of us have made. She seems to be encouraged so we will see.

Our hair in it&#39;s natural state is best.

Nappiejean-Kudos to you. I just told my daughter about you:)

AfroAngel67
08-18-2008, 06:18 PM
I went natural at the age of 38. My hair was extremely damaged from beauticians straightening my hair with lye or no lye fire cream to death because they felt that it was too kinky and that it needed to be bone straight and me not knowing any better allowed it to go on since the age of 20. I&#39;m 41 now I and am very happy that I made the decision to go natural, when I was younger I was not knowledgeable of the damage that chemicals could do to hair, in the 2 1/2 yrs that i&#39;ve been natural my hair is much healthier, sure wish i had known this when I was younger.

bebedee
08-19-2008, 08:09 PM
I went napptural for the 2nd & last time at age 32.

The 1st time around, I was 19 & had an awful experience with a chemical fire cream left on too long. I decided to wear micros for a few months, & a few months turned into a year. Next thing I knew I had all this hair on my head & no clue what to do with it :unsure: . Now I know that I was listening to the wrong folks :blah: (hairdressers who were trying to keep me in their pocket) and was trying to make my relaxed hair routine & products work on natural hair in vain :brickwall:. After hearing "Your hair is too thick and dense - you NEED a chemical fire cream" & "You think someone is going to hire you after college with your hair looking like that?" for the eleventy-hundredth time, I gave in. Yet, my love for natural hair never died.

I would have gone natural again at some point, but NP helped me to STAY NATURAL. When I commit to a lifestyle change, I do my homework, which is how I found this wonderful website. Now, I know who I am & what&#39;s important to me. My view is, if you don&#39;t like it, STEP! Haters&#39; opinion have no bearing on my passion for my naps.

My only regret is that I can&#39;t go back & tell the young college-age me that I was right after all. ^_^

smpb200
08-22-2008, 03:19 AM
Over the years I&#39;ve been natural off and on while keeping my hair hidden under braids and weaves.I didn&#39;t understand about scab hair (it was so coarse and rough)and it scared me so I always ran back to the lye. I finally went natural almost 10 years ago and I&#39;ve been loced 3 years.

tori_monty
08-31-2008, 04:26 AM
Awesome thread! I was starting to feel a little old too. :lol: I just started transitioning this year at the age of 39. I only seriously considered it within the last 2 years - and those thoughts were fleeting. Within the last year, I realized I was trying to camouflage damage (thinning and breakage) and my hairline was taking a beating. I admire the younger girls for having the independence and courage to be natural. It wasn&#39;t even on my radar screen when I was in my twenties. When you know better - you do better. So glad I&#39;m on my journey now.

blkbyrd0302
09-01-2008, 10:57 PM
my 2 cents, I am a child of the 60&#39;s and wore my huge afro for probably 10 years or more (natural not a blowout) and loved it.

Then by the time I got to corporate america in the mid 70&#39;s I felt that I had to assimilate and did the perm thing for quite a number of years. I became natural again in my mid 40&#39;s, and locked when I was 51. It has been 6 years and I have no regrets

I too mostly lurk as it seems that the board is much younger than I am. I am wondering if there are any other natural sisters who are my age (57) and older.

extremelynappy
09-05-2008, 08:31 PM
To all those who replied. My 37th bday is rapidly approaching. I can honestly say that on Jan 1st of this year I was not happy about time passing. I was in a loop trying to keep my hair from falling out. Perm it. Then flaming hot tool of hair torture the roots where it grew back to blend it in... that broke it off, start over.....

This site, and the people in it, helped me look forward to every day since I found this site. Always a new joke, always a new poster, always a new experience to share, always a new lesson to learn.

Now I sport what was unthinkable to me a few months ago, a TWA. And I am grateful for all of you and your support for that.

Happy Growing and Thank You

Bella13
09-09-2008, 12:27 AM
hello, everyone!

i began my napptural journey practically a year ago but didn&#39;t know it. september 10, 2007 was my last cfc and i was 38. i decided to give up the lye because i was trying really hard to eliminate toxins from my body...as much as possible. i had changed my makeup, lotions, soaps, and food and decided the lye had to go!! why would i take out all this other junk and still p.erm my hair?? it wasn&#39;t making much sense. i decided around the end of september that this was it. no more burning for me!

i transitioned for about 8 months and did the bc on june 20, 2008 at the age of 39!! since that time i have learned a lot about my hair and me as a person and others as well. it has been quite educational. if someone had told me last year this time that i would be fully napptural not a year later i would have thought they were crazy. i am just so very happy that i finally opened my eyes and allowed myself this liberation!!!

creativecarla
12-27-2008, 10:58 PM
I have been wearing my hair in a bald fade for about 10 years now. Prior to that I wore a hot top fade (remember those :D). Even before going natural, I too went the permed route. but I was so-o-o-o tired of spending all day that beauty salon because the beautician had overbooked (as always); and when I didn&#39;t roll up hair at night, I had the electric curlers in the morning trying to get to work on time. I finally got off that crazy rollercoaster about 15 or 16 years ago. Instead of going for a touch up for new growth that was about an inch long, I took a pair of scissors and cut off all my hair. I have never looked back and have never missed it. It has been truly liberating not to have to worry about my hair. Now after wearing a bald fade for so many years, I am going on my own "journey" to grow my natural hair out. I have tired to before, but there is a point when my hair is too long to be called a bald fade and too short to twist or braid. It is at this point that I have run back to the barber and got it call all off again. This time I plan to stay on the path of my Journey to grow my natural hair out. Wish me luck.

sunschild57
12-29-2008, 09:28 PM
I have been wearing my hair in a bald fade for about 10 years now. Prior to that I wore a hot top fade (remember those :D). Even before going natural, I too went the permed route. but I was so-o-o-o tired of spending all day that beauty salon because the beautician had overbooked (as always); and when I didn&#39;t roll up hair at night, I had the electric curlers in the morning trying to get to work on time. I finally got off that crazy rollercoaster about 15 or 16 years ago. Instead of going for a touch up for new growth that was about an inch long, I took a pair of scissors and cut off all my hair. I have never looked back and have never missed it. It has been truly liberating not to have to worry about my hair. Now after wearing a bald fade for so many years, I am going on my own "journey" to grow my natural hair out. I have tired to before, but there is a point when my hair is too long to be called a bald fade and too short to twist or braid. It is at this point that I have run back to the barber and got it call all off again. This time I plan to stay on the path of my Journey to grow my natural hair out. Wish me luck.
[/b]
Oh, you sound so much like me :D I have a twa now. It&#39;s the longest my hair has been in 4 years and i&#39;m so tempted to cut it off. 5 years ago, I decided I wanted locs but did not want to start out with baby locs so for a year I let my hair grow. It was so hard but I did it and my hair was below shoulder length. I went to a natural hair salon and got my hair twisted for locs. I went home and that same night, I shaved my head bald, completely bald. Ive decided to start the loc journey again and must get over the urge to cut my hair. Wishing success for both of us...cheers :)

In.All.Ways.Me
12-30-2008, 03:10 AM
I started thinking about going natural appoximately 4(?) years ago. When I was really looking around on the internet I found some info but not nearly as much as I have been able to find on NP. I probably would be well into my journey if I had found NP at that time. I was feeling it coming on in 2007. I made my final decision to just do it after finding NP this year and have been transitioning from a press with LC&#39;s since May 2008.

I forgot to add that I turned 45 this month.

Beryl
01-01-2009, 11:30 PM
When I went natural at 38, I had little/no support from my contemporaries. Many of them have since come over to the nappy side, however. I&#39;d hoped that by now self-imposed image standards and nap-hatred would be history. Guess not. I admire women at all ages who permanently stop using chemicals embrace their natural hair textures.

yround
04-09-2009, 09:49 PM
I&#39;m 51 and went natural last year at the ripe young age of 50 and I&#39;m loving it! I tried to go natural about 5 years ago, but chickened out. I got to the point where I was more comfortable and confident with who I was and decided to go for it. Being natural has made me feel even more confident. This website is so inspiring but I would like to hear more from the over 40 crowd.

sunschild57
04-11-2009, 06:52 PM
I&#39;m seeing more natural women in my age group (i&#39;m 52) and it&#39;s so cool. You would think that this wouldn&#39;t excite me since the women my age more than likely wore afros in the 60s and early 70s. We were so proud then. I don&#39;t know what made us by into the lye. What made us think that being black and natural was no longer beautiful? Why did we let Madison Avenue dictate what beauty was? Anyway, i&#39;m glad we are coming to our senses :D

OHR
04-12-2009, 03:06 AM
Greetings and Salutations everyone! http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/party/party0049.gif

I was natural back in the 60&#39;s, then again for most of my college life (&#39;72-&#39;77).

It was my hairdresser who suggested I wear it natural! She told me that it would suit me...plus I was a bit concerned that my crown area was thinning from the chemical fire cream. This was maybe 6 years ago.

I went natural &#39;full time&#39; 5 years ago, save for last year when I lost my hair from chemo. I&#39;m back better than ever with almost 4" of new growth. I had a consultation w/a SL stylist last Thursday. She was very, very nice and informative! Who knows....locks may be in my future!

chocodoll
06-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Greetings and Salutations everyone! http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/party/party0049.gif

I was natural back in the 60&#39;s, then again for most of my college life (&#39;72-&#39;77).

It was my hairdresser who suggested I wear it natural! She told me that it would suit me...plus I was a bit concerned that my crown area was thinning from the chemical fire cream. This was maybe 6 years ago.

I went natural &#39;full time&#39; 5 years ago, save for last year when I lost my hair from chemo. I&#39;m back better than ever with almost 4" of new growth. I had a consultation w/a SL stylist last Thursday. She was very, very nice and informative! Who knows....locks may be in my future!
[/b]

did you ever get SL&#39;s?

My first attempt at being natural was in my 20&#39;s and I wanted locs ( I had not had the mental transition). My 2nd attempt was when I was 33. I loved being natural but I relapsed due to frusration. I am now 36. I have not had a CFC since 6/08 and I bc&#39;d 5/09. This is my last go round. Nappy til death do us part.

OHR
06-15-2009, 02:34 AM
did you ever get SL&#39;s?

My first attempt at being natural was in my 20&#39;s and I wanted locs ( I had not had the mental transition). My 2nd attempt was when I was 33. I loved being natural but I relapsed due to frusration. I am now 36. I have not had a CFC since 6/08 and I bc&#39;d 5/09. This is my last go round. Nappy til death do us part.
[/b]

Chocodoll,
I did speak with a SL stylist, but with money being funny right now, I had to pass. I am still considering locs...maybe start them off as 2 strands though.

GiiGii
06-17-2009, 09:17 PM
I began this journey at 42. I was so frustrated with the damage chemicals were doing to my hair and scalp. Natural hair was always beautiful to me but I never consciously considered it for myself until October of last year. Happy to join all the natural ladies in the age of elegance. :)

anabwi
06-17-2009, 10:09 PM
I began this journey at 42. I was so frustrated with the damage chemicals were doing to my hair and scalp. Natural hair was always beautiful to me but I never consciously considered it for myself until October of last year. Happy to join all the natural ladies in the age of elegance. :)
[/b]

I :wub: :wub: your gray hair !!! See if mine would gray all over I&#39;d put the bottle of hair color down in a hot minute. When did you first start graying?

GiiGii
06-18-2009, 12:16 AM
I :wub: :wub: your gray hair !!! See if mine would gray all over I&#39;d put the bottle of hair color down in a hot minute. When did you first start graying?
[/b]

I started graying in my twenties thanks to my Dad. I inherited the premature graying from him. My Mom has only a few strands and she&#39;s in her sixties. Where is your gray? I work with a lady who has a lovely patch in the front with the rest very dark brown. Her TWA looks so unique.

nita4
06-18-2009, 01:24 AM
[/b]

I&#39;m digging your grey hair too. I began my journey this year at 48. I too was frustrated with the damage from chemicals. My hair was shoulder length, but it was thinning from relaxing. And I relaxed every 13 weeks. I have always admired women with the courage to go natural. I tried several times, but always went back to the CFC. On May 19th I cut my hair off. I didn&#39;t consult my husband, it was my decision. He does not like it and I don&#39;t care. Like someone else mentioned in this thread earlier, it&#39;s time to do me. I like my short, nappy hair. Peace and blessings to you all.

39wlctttrue
06-18-2009, 06:02 AM
I started my journey May 2008. I have always hated the burning that came along with relaxers and the 4 hour salon visit, then I would go home comb out the style and wear my hair in a ponytail for three months and start all over again. Its such a relief to wear my hair natural that I cannot seem to stop touching it. I am 40.

anabwi
06-18-2009, 02:20 PM
I started graying in my twenties thanks to my Dad. I inherited the premature graying from him. My Mom has only a few strands and she&#39;s in her sixties. Where is your gray? I work with a lady who has a lovely patch in the front with the rest very dark brown. Her TWA looks so unique.
[/b]

I got the halo across the front and what I call a few skunk patches, 2 in the top, a few in back.

jaye
06-19-2009, 03:17 PM

[/b]

:rolleyes: I too went natural when my hairdresser suggested I wear my hair natural. I went online, researched and found Nappturality. So three years ago, at the age of 49 I went natural. One year ago, I got SL and I haven&#39;t looked back. My next milestone was becoming a DIYer. Now nothing can hold be back! I thank Dee for this site and all the inspirational people that have answered questions, given advice and just been there. This has been a wonderful journey. :D

sonance
08-11-2010, 02:43 AM
I had my last relaxer when I was 35, which was 5 years ago. I did it because I was mving from an extremely humid climate (New Orleans) to an extremely dry climate (Denver). I wasn't true to my naturalness until 2 years ago when I stopped wearing weaves, wigs and braids. I have been wash and go for two years and IN LOVE!! I wish I would have embraced my naturalness when I was younger but I am so glad my daugher (15) who is natural and have so many girls wishing they had her hair!!

Sinamin2
08-12-2010, 06:02 PM
I never mind telling people my age the big 52. I allways say it's better than NEVER have gotten to this age at all, If someone youngster calls indicates to me that I'm old, I just say, u better hope u live 2 get this age, Cause lots don't, and we all no the alternative.
So yeap..52 and if you visit my fotki you will see that I've been keeping up with my napptural journey maybe since 2006, maybe even eairler, I'd have to check my fotki, that's what the fotki is for documenting ur nappy journey, and I've done that. But I never once thought ABOUT the age thing.
I'm not sure why, I guess it's because I THOUGHT it was a hair thing, not a age thing. I don't think we should seperate ourselfes, it's bad enough others are allways trying to seperate us from one thing or another for one reason or another. I just don't think this is something we should seperate ourself from.
Anyway I find myself writting on this site and my fotki, facebook, uTube, I could go on, but I think you all what I'm saying. I find myself uploading pic's maybe more than I should :-)
But yeah I just jump in there and do what everyone else is doing in tearms of this hair. Documenting it's just fun supporting each other no matter what age, and something to do. I So there I've said it.
It's simply a hair thing not a age thing.
If you don't get me, check out my fotki in my sig. cut and paste it in the address bar, it should take u 2 my page. LuV-U all. See u there..

QueenLocks
08-12-2010, 08:00 PM
I do not think we are separate from others on this board, but there are some topics that women over 40 want to talk about that women under 25 are not going through [not yet anyway].... I will be 40 next year, and just my body alone is experiencing changes that I never felt under age 25 in particular.

Msretta
08-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Hello Ladies!

I am 57 and this month marks my 3yr old dreadlocks. Growing up my parents would allow the occasional press...which wasnt often...then I wore my Natural( or as some say afro)
which I loved even more if anyone told me it looked like Angela Davis'! lol
then for some reason I started perming it..myself...I didnt like all the texture of my hair being taken away..SO...I decided to wear it as it came out of my head. It helped that my daughter also decided she wanted to do the same thing..she is a loose nappy and I decided to lock! I always wanted to! so I came her to NP and cut it down to an inch, then two strand twist and voila!
It's good to meet you all...and I too am a internet addict...I love it!

OHR
08-12-2010, 09:03 PM
did you ever get SL's?
Chocodoll,
I never got the SL's. After I sat down and figured how much it would be initially, I decided to stick with loose hair for the time being.

lin19lyn
08-18-2010, 03:25 AM
Here I am! I am over 50 and just did the BC a couple of months ago. (I'm a slow learner!) Been wanting to do this for years and just decided to stop waiting for a magic moment. Back in the '70s I was natural and loved the big hair look. Back then we mostly just wore the 'fro...now there is unlimited flexibility in our naturalness. I work in a less formal atmosphere and also perhaps because of my age I haven't had any negativity issues over my hairstyle choice.

brownidqt
08-18-2010, 05:31 AM
i started my natural journey in february 2008 and have not looked back since. i will be 45 next month. i definitely agree with the poster who stated that at some point in life you come to the conclusion to just do you. besides, i got really fed up with going to salons and trying to explain to the "stylists" that i wanted to transition to my natural hair and have them look at me and say "we really have to relax all that stuff." i knew what i wanted, so i just decided to do it myself and i have not looked back. you are definitely not alone.

jean51
08-18-2010, 12:13 PM
After loosing my hair from chemo (age 51) I decided not to put anymore perms in my head. I'm now 54 and I love my salt and pepper hair

tysonamt
08-26-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm here! 54 years young and first time 8 month transitioner. Very fortunate to have a supportive mate and family.

Sinamin2
08-27-2010, 08:33 PM
After loosing my hair from chemo (age 51) I decided not to put anymore perms in my head. I'm now 54 and I love my salt and pepper hair

Sounds very nice looking.

Sinamin2
08-27-2010, 08:36 PM

I am sadened to hear about the chemo issue, but happy to hear no more perms (:-) Very happy, and stay strong and best wishes.

MommieDearest
08-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Did the BC at 43, I'm 52 now. I just got tired of spending 3 hours or more in a salon, after my stylist showed up late for the umpteenth time, and still paying him. Best decision I ever made. :) :afro:

Ditto!

Hello to all my fellow "grown and sexy" nappy sistahs. I did the BC at 39 for the precise reason as anabwi stated above. Plus, I got tired of the vicious cycle of growth, breakage, growth, breakage that my hair had been caught in for the 10 years prior to my BC. When I got rid of the relaxed hair, all I could think was "Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty I'm free at last!!!!" LOL! My ONLY regret was that I waited so long to do it.

I am now knocking on 47 and feel as vibrant as ever and my condfidence is through the roof. I sport my naps with a smile and nobody can tell me nothing.

I haven't read all the posts, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I feel that I look younger with my natural hair. Do any of you laidies feel the same?

sonance
08-30-2010, 06:23 PM
I know how you feel. There does seem to be more younger women going natural and I didn't stop the perms until I was 35 and didn't go REAL NATURAL until 2 years ago. I wish I would have done it sooner because I truly didn't realize my daughter's curls were from me! I never knew what my natural hair looked like and when I moved to a drier climate in 2005 I stopped using perms becuase I was scared of what the dryness would do to my hair.

It was the best decision of my hair's life! I discovered myself by doing this and I am happy to say my 15 year old daugher is natural and so is my younger sister. We're all natural and me and my sister feel so foolish for using chemcials for sooooo long!!!

there are older women discovering natural hair out there. YOu are not alone!!!

KnottyAuthor
09-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Check 1 check 2.
I was (i think, i cant really 'member, lol) 36 when i was good and chemical free as well. This movement is hitting all ages-it's just those of us born pre 1970 arent online like the younger ones, lol!

naturallyblessed
09-06-2010, 07:17 AM
I'm 51 and went natural last year at the ripe young age of 50 and I'm loving it! I tried to go natural about 5 years ago, but chickened out. I got to the point where I was more comfortable and confident with who I was and decided to go for it. Being natural has made me feel even more confident. This website is so inspiring but I would like to hear more from the over 40 crowd.
i too chickened out but now iam going to stay in my lane locking and i love it i wish i could have done this about 30yrs ago :D

orangegoldfish
09-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Hi

I'm 42 and have been wearing my hair, braided without extensions for the the past two months. It has taken some getting use to. I still go to the hairdresser to wash, treat and have my hair put in cornrow. Although my hair is in good condition it needs treatments to make it more manageable as I had it in braided extensions for many years. My hairdresser actually said to me, she wished she had the confidence to go totally natural.

misawaprincess
09-10-2010, 05:29 PM
I just did my big chop at age 51 and I love it. I sported a twa about 10 years ago but fell back into the grips of a relaxed state of mind. I am definitely doing me now and loving every minute of it. The responses to my hair have all been mostly positive. Suprizingly enough the only negative came from family. Go figure!.

Anyway, nice to see many seasoned members of Napptruality.

Misawa Princess

galeb
09-11-2010, 12:22 AM
I'm 52, and did my BC 2 months ago after wearing weaves and braids for the past 2 years. For some reason at 50, I decided that I wanted a change and just be me. Right now I'm researching and reading everything I can about braidlocz, I'm just scared I can't keep them up myself, and don't know where to find anyone that can help me take care of them, or how much it will cost me. I think I'm going to just jump on out and try on my own, I can always cut them off and start over with another TWA if I have trouble. I have learned so much on this forum, I'm sure I'll have all the help and support I';; need.

JazzyPam
09-11-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm in my late 40's and have also felt old here because everyone seems to be a college student. I started my transition 11 months ago and sort of stumbled into it. A friend of mine decided to go natural and I questioned why I was relaxing my hair. I never went to a salon and my hair seemed to be in great shape so I wasn't running away from anything, but to my natural roots. I'm excited and also afraid about the future of my hair... but so far I'm enjoying the journey. BTW, my friend gave up on her transition after a month or two, but I plan to stick with it.

Nuance7
09-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Hi There! I'm 48 and made a promise to myself to go natural before 50. I big chopped 2 weeks ago 4 weeks post. I'm rocking a very TWA now. I'm looking forward to this journey.

caheglar
09-19-2010, 09:46 PM
I am 42 and I started going natural last August. I left and career that I had been in for about 15 years and enrolled in school. From there I it was easy to change my hair. I had been relaxing my hair for 40 years(yes my grandma was relaxing my hair at 2) I really wanted to see what life is like finally treating my hair the way I wanted to. It has been a hard road with looks from family and friends. I have brushed that off it is finally all about me.

caheglar
09-19-2010, 09:48 PM
me too. It is wierd. In a good way.

OHR
09-19-2010, 09:50 PM
^^^*waves* Lookin' good in your avi, caheglar

lavadava
09-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Hi!! Older natural here!

My journey is a little different so I post sometimes just to increase awareness. Like I always say, BC did not mean Big Chop for me. I lost my hair in chemo and promised God that should He allow it to come back thick and healthy then I would never fry it again. I have kept that promise as I am now 48 years old and two and 1/2 years out of treatment.Thank God. Triple Negitive Breast Cancer journey ended....10inch afro for a testimony!!! I think I am the only survivor on NP!!

OHR
09-20-2010, 08:41 PM
I think I am the only survivor on NP!!
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy33/kdjslvgds/gunnshake.gifNuh uh! From one survivor to another, congrats on your recovery!

Peaches
09-21-2010, 04:33 AM
All of yall look so good! :D

LBellatrix
09-21-2010, 11:15 AM
^^Co-signing! Y'all some GOOD-looking sisters, dang! :D

fbj355
09-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Went natural in "08 at retiremen...60 in February...still natural and loving it!

vetsnatural211
09-22-2010, 08:16 PM
I am 43 and went natural at the age of 42. Sometimes its hard finding styles that make me look like a more mature natural as oppose to younger styles. Lets try to post some styles for the more mature!

lavadava
09-23-2010, 03:18 AM
Went natural at 43 sorta, I was in chemo when I decided to keep it natural when it finally grew back. I love rocking my fro and everyone thinking Im in my early thirties! Love my hair!! No one has the balls to say anything about it after seeing me bald for such a long time.

Blackbreezey
09-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Wow, a forum for the old heads!!!! Yeah, I just turned 47 in September. I had a perm for 30 years! Been transitioning since 3/10 and it has been a struggle. I have coarse, kinky hair. According to pictures, I have 4a or 4b hair; looking like black cotton after washed. I have tried various styles and they don't turn out exactly the way I liked them to. For some reason, I deal with frizziness when I do coils or 2 stands, but I will keep trying. I have about 3-4" of new growth and recently cut about 1-2 inches of perm from my hair. These two textures, plus gray hair, which has a texture all its own are something to deal with. I have patience with myself and not rich, so I will continue on my natural journey, but will need plenty of help.

mophead
10-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Hey,just saw this post, I took the journey in 2008 and I am over the age of 30.. I love my hair.

Ebutler
10-16-2010, 11:22 PM
I am 41 and just went natural last year. (January 09) I wish I had the self confidence that I have now years ago, my hair would be much longer and stronger; but its never too late. Going natural was the best thing I could have ever done to my hair. I LOVE It!!!!

Baggettcindy
11-27-2010, 08:35 AM
I am 41 and just went natural last year. (January 09) I wish I had the self confidence that I have now years ago, my hair would be much longer and stronger; but its never too late. Going natural was the best thing I could have ever done to my hair. I LOVE It!!!!

My sentiments exactly!!!:)

msfullroller
11-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Went natural at the age of 41. Locked it up at 42. I'm 44 now and wish that I would have done it sooner.

Naturally70s
12-08-2010, 04:40 AM
I went natural at age 27 and now I'm 40. I am so envious of the ladies that have NP, Utube and other websites and information today. There wasn't any of this when I transitioned and started locs in 1998. Natural hair and locs are much more acceptable today too, than it was back then. Comments/insults were made to me, I could barely find a job because of my locs and was always "selected" for random searches at the airport, but through it all (the positive and negative-mostly positive) I embraced my natural hair throughout my late 20's, 30's and now my 40's. Today, via NP I have support, advice and encouragement and the newbies (whatever their age) do too and that makes me love every step of this journey.:D

deecoily
12-08-2010, 08:37 AM
I love this thread :)

QueenLocks
12-08-2010, 03:09 PM
I transitioned in '95 - I was in my mid-20's, and now I am two months away from
age 40. My reasons for being natural 10 yrs. ago was mostly Af. Amer. pride, and style, but now I am Naptural/Natural for health and financial reasons. In the late 90's I caught plenty of bad comments from "mostly" sisters about going natural, let alone locking my hair, but I love my hair and I have no regrets! :)

lin19lyn
12-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Okay, I'm over 50 and lovin' my natural self! I've been natural off and on thru the years since the 70's but always got tired of the BAA and didn't know many other options. So I went strai... for many years but always felt like I was denying my true self. So, I'm back to what I enjoy and it feels naturally right.

shelfrog
12-08-2010, 06:00 PM
I've been fully natural since 2005, but have had bouts of nappturality (ranging from days to years) since high school. New trick for me: instead of cutting it back down as it grows beyond finger length, I'll be persevering on and trying to take better care of it. I've got my brush and slumber cap, got my coconut oil and Shikai vanilla lotion, a bag of covered elastics, and a card full of bobby pins. So far I've tried single & double twists, but dang my arms were tired from doing what water does in 5 min ;)

sissimpson
12-09-2010, 04:04 AM
I'm 53, chopped this past April. What a glorious dame am I!

JazzWife
12-10-2010, 04:06 AM
Started transition at 45, chopped at 47 and just turned 48 yesterday. It took me one year to decide to jump in with both feet and let go of my stylist. It was the best decision for me. I have no intention of going back to relaxers . . . this is it for me. On a related note, my aunt (in her late 50s) called me yesterday to say that she's been reading my blog, and has become inspired. She called to let me know that she has decided to transition and has encouraged one of my cousins to BC. Whoa! It was enough to bring tears to my eyes.

Savvyone
12-10-2010, 06:36 PM
I went natural March 2002 and never looked back!:D Though I don't do anything with my hair except the puff I'm happy with it and won't be dependent on wigs for the rest of my life of which I'm mighty happy about!

shelfrog
12-12-2010, 04:17 PM
@ JazzWife Great for you and your fam!

lin19lyn
12-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Over 50 and I do post in the gen'l discussion area. Just like at work, there's a great mix here of all ages and perspectives.There's always something to be learned, and perhaps someone will listen to an oldster's POV.

OHR
12-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Over 50 and I do post in the gen'l discussion area. Just like at work, there's a great mix here of all ages and perspectives.There's always something to be learned, and perhaps someone will listen to an oldster's POV.
+50 here as well. I'm a "lifelong learner" #overusedphrase

Capri65
12-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Hi, I am 45, and I did the big chop on 11-29-10. I absolutely love my hair. It's so nice to have a place to communicate with women in my age range.

Napia Mia
12-14-2010, 08:59 PM
This thread is what...two years old? How the heck did I miss it!!!

The big 5-Oh here. Stopped perming in early '02 around March or April. That would have put me at about age 41 with me turning 42 later that year.

But I didn't start getting relaxers til I was 23 years old so I was no stranger to my natural texture. I just hadn't seen it in awhile.

It really wasn't a hard decision. I didn't agonize over it. I wasn't scared to do it because my nappy hair really wasn't foreign to me. I simply looked in the mirror and had a big ah-ha moment. If I wanted to stop the breakage (ha how naive) once and for all, I had to let go of the perm. So I just stopped, cold turkey and never looked back.

Now in all fairness, I had no intentions of wearing my natural texture. Save wearing it in either locs or a fro, neither of which were appealing to me, I didn't have a clue how to style natural hair. Nope, so the plan was to go back to the old school press n curl. I never had breakage from that back in the day like I'd experienced with a perm off and on for nearly 20 years.

In the meantime, I wore micros as I grew my hair out. Ended up loving them so much I stayed in them three years straight and intermittently in the fourth year. In between times I wore a press n curl.

Found NP in Feb of 2006. By then I had about 7 or 8 inches of hair. Doesn't seem like much after having worn braids for four years, but for a long time, when I would remove my braids, I'd simply cut into my own hair to get them short enough to take down. At that time I didn't have an emotional attachment to my hair. It didn't matter that I was cutting my own hair with the fake stuff cause I was covering it up anyway. But one day, after I got all my hair down and saw how thick and healthy it was for the first time in almost 20 years it occurred to me that I might someday want to wear my OWN hair. So I started being more careful about where I cut the braids so I'd stop cutting into my length.

So after getting to NP, it took a minute, but I stopped using heat and learned how to care for and style my hair right here on this board. Hanging out here also helped me get rid of hang ups I didn't even know I had about natural hair.

On another note, I have to say I don't mind hanging out with the "babies" on this board. Keeps me young!

Fedyfro
12-14-2010, 09:10 PM
I think I am the only survivor on NP!!

Nope...you are not alone. Welcome to NP!

DrBee2B
12-16-2010, 07:15 PM
I was back in nappy to stay in 2002. I first went natural in 1996, when after being a salon-rat--standing appointment every Thursday morning--I moved to Fl. My stylist suggested that I go natural, actually, and she guided me through my transition. I didn't know anyone at all in Florida and didn't want to have my hair messed up. LOL--the first shape-up I got down there was jacked up though! Anyhow, after going back and forth between straight and natural, I just took the final step in 2002. I didn't find this website until I was looking for hairstyles for my wedding in 2004! I twist my hair, wear a twist out, a puff, or, a baa when I'm feeling like I need a confidence boost.

Ofo
12-31-2010, 05:41 PM
Got my 1st perm at 18yrs. Went natural soon after. It was just the begining of a cycle that would last over 20yrs. As far as I can remember, I've been trying to go natural(except for my 20s when I went for years without breaking the perm cycle). I hit age 40 and I was getting desparate, so I went natural again. This time covered my hair with weaves and braids. Then caved in again to the lye. Finally at 43 I had had enough. I was frustrated at not being able to just...wear my hair. I was also trying to live a healthier life - toxin free. I didn't know any natural heads. I decided I would have to blaze the trail and not care what anyone thought. I went online and found NP. I remember how shocked I was to discover that not only did other women exist who had gone natural but that there was a website dedicated to going natural. This was in 2004. It was on NP that I learned WHY I had all those failed attempts and realised I had to change my mind-set and relationship with my hair. I've been natural for 7yrs now and worn locs for 51/2yrs in total. I will never EVER go back to the LYE.

c2shair
01-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Did my BC a few months before turning 41. Saying it loud older nappy and proud.

Moderator Q
01-03-2011, 05:00 AM
10 Pages. Start a new thread if you wish ladies! :D