PDA

View Full Version : Massaging Challenge/experiment

newnatural17
07-30-2008, 12:32 AM
According to the Hair Growth Tips section (http://motowngirl.com/content/content/view/12/9/) on Motown Girl:

Massage your scalp nightly to promote oil secretion and to increase blood circulation, which brings oxygen and nutrients to the scalp and hair follicle. U Use light oils such as jojoba, sweet almond, lavender and/or rosemary. Use your fingers and in a gentle, circular motion all over your scalp. You can do this with or without oils.

Also to increase blood circulation, try tapping gently all over your scalp or hanging upside on the end of your bed for a few mins.

Exercising helps to get blood flowing to the scalp and encourage growth.
[/b]

This really interests me. And it makes me wonder, does massaging your scalp really show that much of a difference??

So, I thought maybe it'd be fun to do a challenge/study. o-o; If thats okay.
With one group who massages/exercises/taps/hangs upside down (:lol:) daily and a control group that only massages when washing their hair.

I guess wanna see over the course of a month how much people's hair grew in comparison to when they didnt massage daily. We have not even need the control group if you know how fast your hair normally grows.

SO, would anyone be interested in doing something like that??? ^_^

GalaxyGirl2012
07-30-2008, 12:44 AM
interesting idea.. i think this would work both both groups would have to know ahead of time what their regular growth rate is. maybe 5-10 people in each group?

i'd be interested in joining.. i'm on the lazy group :lol:

newnatural17
07-30-2008, 01:51 AM
Cool! Thats one person. (I was thinking about the same thing with the numbers.)

Do people's routines really matter? :huh: Or should knowing your normal growth rate be enough?

NowIamnappy
07-30-2008, 02:42 AM
I would like to join this challenge, I wanna join the massage your scalp everyday.My friend likes to massage my hair most days and I was wondering if that was helping it grow. Does working out count or should I work out and massage afterwards?

yesitsreal
07-30-2008, 02:53 AM
I'm in. I haven't been able to massage my hair like I usually do because of these yarn braids, so I know now how my hair growth is w/o it. It's all over the place. I noticed 1/4 inch (front), 1/2 inch (sides), 3/4 inches (middle), and 1 inch (back) :unsure: WTH?

They are extremely loose now, so I can massage to my heart's content! I will begin an ayurvedic routine next month and plan on massaging anyway (so my growth can become somewhat more consistent)

newnatural17
07-30-2008, 03:09 AM
Yay! Lets try to do at least six on each side!! :yes:

~~~~~~~~

Massagers:
NowIAmNappy
ilikeitkinky
(4 to 8 empty slots)

No-massagers:
GalacticalFro
(5 to 9 empty slots)

~~~~~~~~

I'll definitely massage, but I dont know if I can include myself in the results because I dont know my normal hair growth yet. :unsure:

Can we start in September? I dont want to interrupt any other challenges and I'm planning on going into a protective style October to December.... cooold. o.o

ETA:: YES, working out counts!! :) But dont limit yourself to just that, for the sake of the challenge! :lol: There are other options!

jamgirl
07-30-2008, 03:11 AM
hey, are you like reading my mind or something, big afro wanna be?? :P
i've been doing this for a couple of weeks now. i'd be willing to be on the "massagers" side. the problem is, i don't really pay that much attention to my growth, so i don't really know my "normal growth rate. :unsure:

natural06
07-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Count me in but I will be doing this experiment while wearing my box braids and I will do it until december to see if I get some actual results.

hervirtue
07-30-2008, 11:09 AM
OOH...this sounds cool, I'm in!! I want to be part of the massagers group :)

Natural Beauty
07-30-2008, 12:50 PM
I dont wanna rain on the parade here...BUT if u want this experiment to really work...both groups have to have the same hair type and the same hair routine. You have to take into consideration all of the determing factors. A more effective idea would be for everyone to massage everynight while measuring growth for X amount of time and then when that time is up everyone massages only when washing for x amount of time and compare the growth at the end...I hope that makes sense

Alastri
07-30-2008, 02:14 PM
i would help, but i don't know my normal growth rate :(

NasdaqDiva
07-30-2008, 02:23 PM
I would like to join in and be a scalp massager.

jamgirl
07-30-2008, 02:31 PM
I dont wanna rain on the parade here...BUT if u want this experiment to really work...both groups have to have the same hair type and the same hair routine. You have to take into consideration all of the determing factors. A more effective idea would be for everyone to massage everynight while measuring growth for X amount of time and then when that time is up everyone massages only when washing for x amount of time and compare the growth at the end...I hope that makes sense
[/b]
hey, i think this is a really good idea-we should do this! results would be more accurate! BAWB, would you mind-since this was your idea? :)

mwedzi
07-30-2008, 02:56 PM
[/b]

First, your dress and flower are sooo pretty. I really love the black, white, and yellow combos I've been seeing a lot of the last couple of seasons.

Back to topic, I think she might be right. Galaxy would be a good contender because she regularly dyes her hair and I think that's probably the most sure way to know how fast your hair grows. Otherwise, we don't know how fast our hair grows because there's always breakage to contend with. It would be most helpful if someone like Galaxy, who had a record from last year this time how much her hair grew in a certain amount of time, followed the same routine she followed from last year but changed only the massaging element. And she's on the lazy group! But Majesty's idea is a good one, as long as the periods of time for the 2 sections aren't so long that, say, there's a seasonal change.

I'd offer to join in, but at this point there are so many variables that seem to be influencing my growth/retention I just don't think I could contribute any real info.

naturallykristin
07-30-2008, 03:10 PM
I'll join as a non-massager, if those original options are still valid.

newnatural17
07-30-2008, 05:19 PM
[/b]

Ummm. That makes sense. But as long as everyone knows their normal growth rate, shouldnt everything be fine? Like, if my hair normally grows from about a quarter of an inch to half an inch each month and I start massaging and those numbers jump, than wouldnt that be enough evidence? :dunno:

But I see what you're saying. :yes: I guess we can wait and see what the others think.
Btw, are you in the experiment?

~~~~~~~~~

Massagers:
NowIAmNappy
ilikeitkinky
natural06
hervirtue
NasdaqDiva
(1 to 5 slots open)

No-massagers: \
GalacticalFro
naturallykristin
(4 to 8 slots open)

On the fence/(not sure about normal hair growth rate):
raq
Alastri
mwedzi

~~~~~~~~~

Raq, I was thinking. Maybe you should get on the no-massagers side since you already massage regularly to see if you see a change. Just a suggestion, but you can massage if you really wnat to. :lol: But since we're starting in September (or whenever everyone thinks they can.) maybe you should measure your hair at the beginning of August, massage, and then remeasure in September, to see your growth over the span of a month.

GalaxyGirl2012
07-30-2008, 06:17 PM
hmmmm what i was thinking was we'd know from the start who's in the groups and take an average of what that groups growth rate is... so everyone would need to know what their average is.... as far as how to tell that, it was easy for me to tell because of the dye, but i wonder if you can tell via something like a boxed braid?

i see the point about hair types so maybe each group can have a mix of loose textures, cnapps, coily heads, fine hair, thick hair, etc?

but yeah i see the point that if you dont color (which i dont do anymore :lol: ) then the only way you'd know is if everyone started with a baldy.....

newnatural17
07-31-2008, 04:49 AM
hmmmm what i was thinking was we'd know from the start who's in the groups and take an average of what that groups growth rate is... so everyone would need to know what their average is.... as far as how to tell that, it was easy for me to tell because of the dye, but i wonder if you can tell via something like a boxed braid?

i see the point about hair types so maybe each group can have a mix of loose textures, cnapps, coily heads, fine hair, thick hair, etc?

but yeah i see the point that if you dont color (which i dont do anymore :lol: ) then the only way you'd know is if everyone started with a baldy.....
[/b]

I guess another part of the challenge will have to be eliminating things that might slow down the process from your hair regime. No dye, no heat etc? :yes: But its just for a month or two anyway.

Any more people wanting to join? We still need more people!! :o

mzdrea2008
08-08-2008, 01:22 PM
I guess another part of the challenge will have to be eliminating things that might slow down the process from your hair regime. No dye, no heat etc? :yes: But its just for a month or two anyway.

Any more people wanting to join? We still need more people!! :o
[/b]

I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN THE MASSAGING TEAM.... I LIKE TO MASSAGE MY SCALP! PM ME WITH MORE INFO , LET ME KNOW!

NasdaqDiva
08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm still doing the scalp massages. I'll be honest, I get bored doing this after like 5min. I know some people like to lightly scatch their scalp during the massage. Anyone doing that? I've done it a couple times..feels so good!

mstrina911
08-08-2008, 03:45 PM
I would like to join as a messager. I just received my Lavender and Rsoemary yesterday.

newnatural17
08-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Sorry guys!! The thread got pushed back and I didnt think anyone else replied!!! I might have to make a new thread when the challenge actually begins.

We'll start in September, so make sure you track your hair growth this month with NO massaging.
Also, we need a list of hair types for everyone participating and for this month (and the next), please do NOT use dyes or anything that might interrupt normal hair growth. You might wanna go ahead and trim your hair if you're a scheduled trimmer! Also, the no-massagers might have to switch over to the massaging side next month. Everything isnt straightened out yet, but we'll see! If I'm forgetting anyone or anything, please dont be afraid to remind me.

Massagers:
NowIAmNappy
ilikeitkinky
natural06
hervirtue
NasdaqDiva
MissAndreal
BlackButterflyy
(FULL, but more can done!!)

No-massagers:
GalacticalFro
naturallykristin
(4 to 8 slots open)

On the fence/(not sure about normal hair growth rate):
raq
Alastri
mwedzi
Big Afro Wanna Be (me!!!)[/b]

Soon2bnatural27
08-09-2008, 01:06 AM
I'll join the massaging team. I do it anyway.

newnatural17
08-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Yay! :D
Thanks!

GalaxyGirl2012
08-09-2008, 06:27 PM
:unsure: why aren't there more non massagers? :lol: y'all ain't got to do NATHAN. bawb come to the non massaging side with me

as fas as me... my average is about 1/3-1/2" growth each month... my hair type is coily/cumpy 4..A. wiry and dense. i'm taking a multivitamin and exercise 5-6 days a week.

also to be honest i think this needs to be a 2 months commitment at least where we switch in october. so massagers in september become non massagers in october. especially if you aren't certain of what you're rate is.

also i'm going to measure from a section in the front since it's easier to see in the mirror.

newnatural17
08-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Makes sense. o-o;
Should I make a new thread with the rules, etc? I dont think people remember tihs one.

Wont pills affect your results?? :unsure:

tlwnurse
10-23-2009, 03:18 AM
bump... What was the results?