PDA

View Full Version : Help! Buildup In Locs

MaiNaps
04-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Hey ladies- you all were so helpful before when I started my husband's locs in January....I have another request/inquiry.....my husband rinsed his hair on the shower and now it seems as if in the back of his head where the locs are there is brown buildup on/in the locs- none on the root- how can we remedy this? is there a shampoo that can lift the buildup/dirt(?) from the locs? what should be the best way to wash this out? his locs are about as long as the avg pinky finger.... thanks in advance for all your help!!!!

W8N2XHL
04-10-2004, 07:50 PM
A deep cleansing or clarifying shampoo is best. VO5 and Suave both have clarifying shampoos and at a very reasonable price. Tressemme (sp) has a fabulous deep cleansing shampoo. It is a little above average in price, but works very well. If his locs can take it, do three washes of squeezing the shampoo in the locs until a rich lather is formed. Rince WELL. Reduce the amount of products that he uses in his locs, too. I use nothing more than an oil water spritz with 10-12 drops sweet almond oil, 10-12 drops tea tree oil 2 oz of olive oil and 6 oz of water. I spritz in the morning and it may not be everyday.

FreedomPlease
04-11-2004, 04:05 AM
Kiana7 is right on the money...I personally make sure to use a clarifying shampoo at least one a month or so. I don't use a lot of products but I have found that it keeps my locks healthy.

Good luck, and remember don't use the clarifying shampoo too much because it can really dry the hair out.

exhort
04-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Hope you are not using wax in your DH's locs. The wax can cause an awful mess which is often hard to remove. :-? Agree with the others try calrifying and go easy on the products. STAY AWAY FROM WAX BASED PRODUCTS.

aquababie19
04-12-2004, 04:04 PM
for the first two or three months, i had buildup on the tips. i used the lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. cleared it right up.

kaoticcoil
04-15-2004, 01:51 AM
Every one is heading in the same direction. STAY AWAY from the products. If you are maintaining with gels, I have found that gel can cause a build up too. My Sweetie has rather long locs & he was having issues with buildup before I began maintaining his hair. I used lemon juice when I had to break down the build-up but now I use a clarifying shampoo & conditioner.

mlinyear
04-15-2004, 07:15 AM
Whatever product you are using on your husbands locs may be attracting excess dirt or build up. I once let a "loctitian" use honey and lemon in my hair. It was bad. I had so much build up in my locs I had to pick them apart and wash the dirt out. If changing products or using clarifying shampoo doesn;t do the whole job, consider this...
No matter how much you wash and pick at your hair there will always be little stray pieces of lint making locs look dull and kinda ashy, if that makes any sense when referring to hair. I die my hair regularly. (Like every 3-4 mos) I use a dye that is my natural color. I just use black. But afterward my hair looks great. No body really knows what I did with it. It just looks really clean and moisturized. I get comments like..."Oh, I see you washed your hair this weekend."