PDA

View Full Version : Starchetarian Recipies

Artsyblack
04-11-2004, 12:02 AM
I'm not a meat eater and although I call myself a vegetarian, the truth is that I only eat 50 % vegetables ( this includes juicing) and I eat quite a bit of starches. I'm trying to up my percentage in veggies by 25%. Guess that makes me a vege-starchetarian!

So in the meantime does anyone have any good starchetarian recipes that you would like to share?

I found a nice yummy dish that closely mimicks an authentic india curry dish. :heart

You can find all the ingredients at Trader Joes.

Jar of Vegetable Curry Sauce ( Trader Joe's brand)
Can of light Coconut Milk ( green can)
White Basmati Rice from India
Lavish Bread

Eventhough the intructions do not recommend adding coconut milk, this is what gives the dish an authentic taste. IMO without it, the sauce is too salty and very spicey.

Pour contents in jar into a pan and add a can of coconut milk, let simmer for 4-5 minutes.

You can also add your favorite vegetable(s) or not. I prefer no veggies.

Serve over a bed of rice and to top it off, I found a flat bread that mimicks the thin bread that is traditionally served with curry at trader joes as well.

Look for a package of Lavish Bread ( clay oven bread). The trick is to heat the bread to get it crispy enough without burning it. In my trial and error and oven (there all different), I timed mine down to 5 minutes @ 250 degrees.

No need for a pan, just place the bread ( I tear mine into peices) on the rack. When done, serve with dish.

It's so good and may cause a little weight gain. So any of you who are attemping to loose weight it would be a nice treat when you've been really good with you diet. :)

Artsyblack
04-17-2004, 10:50 PM
Oh com'on, I know someboby's eatin potatoes :lol

Blackanese
04-27-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Artsyblack@Apr 10 2004, 06:02 PM
I'm not a meat eater and although I call myself a vegetarian, the truth is that I only eat 50 % vegetables ( this includes juicing) and I eat quite a bit of starches. I'm trying to up my percentage in veggies by 25%. Guess that makes me a vege-starchetarian!

So in the meantime does anyone have any good starchetarian recipes that you would like to share?

I found a nice yummy dish that closely mimicks an authentic india curry dish. :heart

You can find all the ingredients at Trader Joes.

Jar of Vegetable Curry Sauce ( Trader Joe's brand)
Can of light Coconut Milk ( green can)
White Basmati Rice from India
Lavish Bread

Eventhough the intructions do not recommend adding coconut milk, this is what gives the dish an authentic taste. IMO without it, the sauce is too salty and very spicey.

Pour contents in jar into a pan and add a can of coconut milk, let simmer for 4-5 minutes.

You can also add your favorite vegetable(s) or not. I prefer no veggies.

Serve over a bed of rice and to top it off, I found a flat bread that mimicks the thin bread that is traditionally served with curry at trader joes as well.

Look for a package of Lavish Bread ( clay oven bread). The trick is to heat the bread to get it crispy enough without burning it. In my trial and error and oven (there all different), I timed mine down to 5 minutes @ 250 degrees.

No need for a pan, just place the bread ( I tear mine into peices) on the rack. When done, serve with dish.

It's so good and may cause a little weight gain. So any of you who are attemping to loose weight it would be a nice treat when you've been really good with you diet. :)
Well I don't know if this really counts as a recipe, but my boyfriend and I LOVE baked potatoes covered with Hormel vegetarian chili and shredded cheese. He likes his with habanero Tabasco sauce mixed in for some added kick.

Also, vegetable gyoza (potstickers) from the Asian market (in the freezer) and rice. The gyoza is great with Yoshida sauce (usually found with the teriyaki sauces or the barbecue sauces).

Hmm, those aren't recipes but they are delicious (and easy)