PDA

View Full Version : White Vinegar To Kill Ants?

gigglezk
08-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Has anyone tried using white vinegar to kill ants? I know, I know....all you got is apple cider vinegar, right? :P I saw this idea on a few messageboards and it looks like it does work, however only temporary. Which is fine because that's what I need right now until DH can get home to spray and the boys and I can leave. But for now, I can't use anything deadly because I'm pregnant and my oldest already has a stomach ache. We've got a few I guess they are sugar ants in the kitchen and a few in one of the bathrooms. However, the ones in the bathroom are larger than the kitchen ants. I'm worried because I'd hate for them to be fire ants in the bathroom and end up biting one of my kids while they are in there. So has anyone tried white vinegar? I've also heard that mixing dish liquid and white vinegar works too. For some odd damn reason, we have a gallon of white vinegar.

Blaqdiamond4t
08-14-2008, 12:53 PM
what! you mean to tell me there's more than acv! incredible. :lol:

i haven't tried white vinegar on ants, but i have used it for spiders. it keeps them at bay as long as the scent lingers.

someone told me to sprinkle ground cinnamon around the areas you see ants. i tried it along the door to my deck, and it seemed to work.

since you're expecting, i hope you can find something chemical free to take care of the problem.

Poetic_Butterfly
09-09-2008, 01:09 PM
I never tried white vinegar to kill ants, I am sure that it should work as long as they smell it in the area. I think that cinnamon would work too!

Peace,
Rasta

OHR
09-10-2008, 01:04 AM
Your question took me back to the time I worked in a ladies clothing store. Anyway, the manager would mix this concoction of boric acid and cayenne pepper (yes, THAT pepper) in plastic tubs to take care of the crawly critters in our back room. I have to say, it must have worked, b/c I never saw any problems after that!

PrincessDrRe
09-10-2008, 01:29 AM
I know Tide - (no other washing powder that I know of...just Tide) kills ants.

EmpressRi
09-17-2008, 01:36 AM
I put pennies down where I saw ants, and they didn't come where the pennies were.

lilletti0486
11-25-2008, 02:07 AM
I heard that if your pour grits and rice on a ants nest, that would kill them too. Supposedly when the ants eat it, the grits or rice expands in their stomaches and they explode.

Poetic_Butterfly
11-25-2008, 11:24 PM
I decided to buy some ant traps and put them on the inside and outside of my house. Also, we bought spray for immediate action to kill those pests! :angry: I don't know where these ants came from but I am ready for them to leave for the winter.

Peace,
Rasta

Chocolate CurlyGirl
12-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Hmm, I will have to try some of these remedies. Clearly there are ants in my garage because they are on the front of my car and some have ventured on the inside. I released a fogger in the garage, but evidently that wasn't enough. This morning they were crawling on my front bumper and everytime and wiped them off, more appeared! Aarrghh!!!!!!

LBellatrix
02-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Bumping...I love this site... :)

Riddle me this: How in the HELL does one get ants in Iowa in FEBRUARY??? :(o)

Fortunately I have white vinegar and a spray bottle handy...hopefully this will work because I'm having dinner guests tomorrow...

nik77natural
02-22-2010, 04:05 PM
I heard that if your pour grits and rice on a ants nest, that would kill them too. Supposedly when the ants eat it, the grits or rice expands in their stomaches and they explode.

I heard about the grits thingy too, but I looked really closely at the size of one grit, and the size of the head of an ant and how hard those things are before you cook em, and quickly discredited it. I did use Vinegar one time for some sugar ants. I think it made more of a mess than anything else. I will prolly try the cinnamin (sp) too.

kinkykhick
02-23-2010, 12:04 AM
Hey Lbell,

White Vinegar won't kill the ants (at least it doesn't work for me) but I will slow them down and throw them of the scent of their trail.

Borax and Honey/Borax and sugar water will kill ants they take it back to the nest and the colony ingests it. A product called Terro (http://www.terro.com/) uses a variation of this in their ant pesticide.

This site (http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf13063421.tip.html)has some good tips for cheap and easy Ant control.

bhop13
03-09-2010, 01:46 AM
windex or some other glass cleaner works immediately. I had some ants make a trail to my patio...they came up the tree, all the way down on the branch and onto the rail where the branch touched the rail. I sprayed to kill them and them cut the branch away...worked like a charm.

LBellatrix
03-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks, all. You're right: The vinegar wasn't/isn't cutting it.

I was going to try Ortho Home Defense (which may be ideal since normally I get other bugs besides ants) but now I'm thinking I'll try Terro first.

MsShel330
03-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Red pepper flakes. They kill ants and also keep dogs and cats away from your garbage bags when you put trash out at the curb.

Himmy
03-27-2010, 01:07 AM
This is all good information. Turns out when we bought this house, we bought the ant problem as well. We have Terminex now because the problem is so huge. We even get flying ants (yep, not termites, but flying ants) around this time of year. For a month, until they lose their wings we would get swarms of them in the house. We'd have to cover everything. HATE IT! We still get them outside a lot, so I will have to try some of these remedies.

Anyone have any good spider remedies?

Ms JC
03-29-2010, 06:24 PM
I hear that putting salt down deters the ants from entering.

DeeLite
03-30-2010, 05:21 PM
If it hasn't been mentioned before, diatomaceous earth kills fire ants and regular ants and it's a natural product.

I always used the grits remedy until I heard it was discredited as someone stated before. White vinegar is good for cleaning up the odor trails, but not much else. For a chemical solution, Ortho max home defense is good stuff.

PassionFruitPF
04-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Ive treid all of the "green" ways of killing them... but none worked very well for me... and with all of the rain we've had this sprung, the ants WERE winning the war.... I went back to my old tried & true boric acid and problem solved.....

profdefrancais
04-18-2010, 01:52 PM
I have tried lemon juice and coarsely ground black pepper to get them out of the house. It works and is kid friendly although if the little one eats the black pepper it may cause a bit of discomfort.

TianaJ
03-05-2011, 03:52 AM
Ants hate peppermint oil. My aunt would use peppermint candies (the white one with the red stripes) in each corner of the kitchen.

feepee
03-05-2011, 05:48 AM
taking notes. I used white vinagar a couple of times last year outside to destroy some small anthills. but i fear my black carpenter ant problem in the bathroom is another problem unto itself :|

Coily_Crown
03-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Vinegar is new one for me too. I use cayenne pepper. It takes out all of them!

brattilocks
03-20-2011, 01:49 PM
I just ordered diatomaceous earth. I heard it kills all. Dont breathe it in.

OHR
03-20-2011, 02:04 PM
If it hasn't been mentioned before, diatomaceous earth kills fire ants and regular ants and it's a natural product.

I just ordered diatomaceous earth. I heard it kills all. Dont breathe it in.
Do you place this in a container with holes? How long does the effectiveness last?

lin19lyn
03-20-2011, 03:03 PM
I had a problem last year with ants in one corner of my kitchen counter and someone here suggested tea tree oil. I put it on the area and never saw another ant. I cannot recall her name but she said she used to work for an exterminator and also suggested putting tea tree oil down the sink drain for those pesty fruit flies. I'll be trying that this spring.

KellyVonn
03-21-2011, 06:11 AM
Haven't tried white vinegar but I know for a fact that peppermint works. Get some peppermint oil, add some water in a spray bottle and shake, spray where you see the ants.

deecoily
03-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Thank you for all these hints! We have massive ants nests outside and I have used everything from those poisonous powders to diesel fuel and matches but they keep coming back. I am going to try the peppermint around my outside doors and see if it helps.

Cutie McPretty
03-17-2012, 03:59 AM
BUMP*********************