PDA

View Full Version : Fall/end Of Summer Protective Challenge

liberationtheory
08-16-2008, 03:02 PM
so anybody down for another protective style challenge?

i've had to give up the expectation that i can keep my hair out. the back is bsl and the sides are a little past shoulder. wearing my hair out is tangle city and thrives when it's in protective styles.

i'm committed to doing this for a month. anyone else want to try?

amberdcox
08-16-2008, 03:41 PM
i'm in. i have twists in right now that i'm going to take down next week. i'm going to put them back in next sunday.

hopefully i can get some growth, retain length and minimize breakage.

perhaps we should share routines?

tentatively, i am going to wash and deep condition every two weeks between twisting sessions. currently using trader joes nourish spa and ORS hair mayonnaise for conditioners. I'm going to let it dry banded on Friday night into saturday. Saturday I will twist the front and wear a puff with twists in the front. Finish twisting on Sunday and be good for another week to week and a half. Wear a twist out for a couple days, and then start over.

iheartmyhair
08-16-2008, 04:06 PM
yeah, I'm in a challenge :D

I need to learn some new protective styles because my hair is so frizzy, twists only lasts about a week. So what to do, what to do??? :dunno:

I washed this morning with my rosemary mint shampoo bar, conditioned with V05 to detangle, then added castor oil to my HHC as a leave-in, then massaged some BSP into my scalp and ends.

I don&#39;t know what to do next, I just took out some three strand twists, and wore the bomb twist out for the past two days. Maybe I&#39;ll just go back to those until I figure something out, but I know that won&#39;t take me to next saturday cuz I&#39;m so not in the mood to twist for six hours <_<

Any suggestions?

i :wub: myhair

damaria
08-16-2008, 04:31 PM
IM IN!!!!!!!!!! I have to give big props to Liberation who put me in my first set of twist since BC and I must say I am luuuuuuuuving them!!!!!! :wub: I did not realize how much more easy it is to stretch and maintain twists!!!! :Cool_049: So I will keep these in until September with minimal maintenance and rock my first twist out with pride!!!

Once again big ups to Liberation Theory for hooking me up with the twists!!! :afro:

liberationtheory
08-16-2008, 04:44 PM
aww you&#39;re welcome!

i&#39;m keeping these twists in for september also. hopefully the rest of my hair will catch up to the back portion.

moe&#39;s grow oil is the trufe (yeah i said trufe)

BANGBangbby
08-16-2008, 04:44 PM
I can&#39;t join...I have a twa. :(

tt1989
08-16-2008, 05:09 PM
im already in a protective style challenge on NP!.. check my siggy But it ends september 2nd (and i will be protective styling after that) ...so when does this one end because i would like to join if it goes longer than that?

tt1989
08-16-2008, 05:27 PM
[/b] Sure you could...you could wear Headwraps, Scarfs, Put in Lil Twisties, wear wigs, BUT i guess all that wouldn&#39;t REALLY be needed since breakage/knotting issues USUALLY come with longer hair

street froetry
08-16-2008, 06:13 PM
I&#39;m in, I&#39;ve been rocking twists a lot lately anyway so why not :)

monappy28
08-16-2008, 06:59 PM
I&#39;m in! I&#39;m sitting with conditioner on my hair right now DCing! I washed with CD Rosemary Mint Shampoo which I actually like. Now I have some Vatika Oil and some Oyin HHC on with a plastic bag over my head! I will rinse in about an hour and get to twisting!

serendity
08-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Well I guess I join as well. I really need to protect my hair from breakage and I need to start retaining length.

I hope I can keep up with this challenge with college and possibly work. When I have a tough schedule I normally slack off on my hair, but hopefully I can still manage to take care of it with a hectic schedule.

liberationtheory
08-16-2008, 08:42 PM
well, let&#39;s just try until sept 15. that&#39;s a 30 day challenge unless anyone has a different idea.

i have the same issue with twists, etc not lasting. for me, when i rinse or wash twists, that&#39;s when it all goes down hill for me.

so for the duration i&#39;m going to try and massage my scalp with moe oil, spritz every day and leave them alone for at least 2 weeks. then after that, i&#39;m not sure.

ideally i would say a twist out, but that will just lead to too much exposure which means dryness and breakage. so i&#39;ll cross that road when i get there.

extremelynappy
08-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Can I do it with a weave? It&#39;s coming out before the 15th, and I plan to style my own with twists and a half wig after that.

amberdcox
08-16-2008, 10:25 PM
does anyone know if anyone on this site is a pro at making moes growth oil? or if i asked her to send me some and i pay her for it, does she take orders? i need some but I don&#39;t make stuff that well.

i&#39;d be willing to pay.

liberationtheory
08-16-2008, 10:46 PM
why dont you PM her.

i&#39;ve only made it once and am not planning on making more anytime soon.

classicsh101
08-17-2008, 01:12 AM
I am so in. 30 day challenge sounds cool too me. I have mini braids right now and im going on my 3rd week. my hair goes downhill after i wash too (every week). Mini twist does not last at all for me unless i braid the root then twist the ends. . Mini braids last. For the first and 2nd week i rocked the mini braids. This week (3rd week) after my wash I two strand twist my mini braids. In the 4th week I plan on untwisting my mini braids( a twist out but still have braids in) . In the 5 week I plan on braiding or three strand twist my mini braids. I guess my routine will count as a protective style since my hair is still in mini braids no matter what week. This routine should help me keep my mini braids or mini twist in for a while. I plan on dc and washing every week.

NewlyNappyNelle
08-17-2008, 03:44 AM
I&#39;m definitely in. I&#39;m washing and conditioning tomorrow after the NPinic in the park so I can twist on Monday for school.

BANGBangbby
08-17-2008, 06:36 AM
Sure you could...you could wear Headwraps, Scarfs, Put in Lil Twisties, wear wigs, BUT i guess all that wouldn&#39;t REALLY be needed since breakage/knotting issues USUALLY come with longer hair
[/b]
tt, twisties ain&#39;t possible with my hair yet and headwraps aren&#39;t allowed in my school, any hats or scarves either. I like wigs... I might try that :) a short lil cute pixie wig. If my mom allows me to wear a wig in school, I&#39;m in

claire2172
08-17-2008, 07:03 AM
let me go ahead and toss myself in the mix too. i already have my hair in box braids with extensions from the beginning of this month. hopefully i can stay strong until late september. in the mean time i better get my butt in the lab and make some moe&#39;s growth oil. :bolt: i&#39;ve been dying to try it for a good minute.

monappy28
08-17-2008, 11:12 AM
My hair is now twisted and protected! I may Clip these ends while it&#39;s twisted.........I can do that right?? But when I was twisting my ends feel so coarse and dry so they have to go!

iheartmyhair
08-17-2008, 01:01 PM
okay, so I asked a friend to cornrow the front of my hair and I twisted the back. I thought I was okay (they did feel a little tight), but then around 2 am I couldn&#39;t take it anymore. I had to take them out, it hurt so bad :(

As a permie I was not tenderheaded, but now my scalp is like :angry: :pinch: :noway:

So now I have two strand twists in the back and a twist-out in the front. I guess I&#39;ll have to give in and twist it up. *sigh*

I need an easy protective style, that will last for more than a week. I guess I could try flat twists but I suck at those <_<

iheartmyhair
08-18-2008, 03:45 PM
I have found my solution, the ultimate protective style ------------------------LOCS!

I&#39;ve decided to go back to my first love :wub:

Happy protective styling ladies

:bolt: to loc forum

hervirtue
08-19-2008, 11:13 AM
I&#39;m definitely in. My hair is really working my nerves right now so I need to just leave it alone anyway ;)

Sunbubbles
08-19-2008, 12:02 PM
MOS DEF! Im in twists right now. But i ACTUALLY plan on being in protective styles from
now until next Spring!! Im so lazy! :lol:

street froetry
08-19-2008, 01:45 PM
MOS DEF! Im in twists right now. But i ACTUALLY plan on being in protective styles from
[/b]

:lol: me too Sunbubbles... I need to leave my hair alone for a while anyway

NewlyNappyNelle
08-19-2008, 01:48 PM
I finished my twists last night and they are much bigger and fluffier than any other set I&#39;ve done. I like them. Hopefully I&#39;ll remember to take pics when I get in.

Trezher
08-19-2008, 05:32 PM
[/b]

I have a twa as well, but when I was transitioning I wore the headwraps/scarves. Would that be acceptable for this challenge?

Fuesha
08-19-2008, 07:00 PM
I may join :) Im wrestling with the thought of doing protective styles a.k.a braid and twist extentions until Jan 09 to give my hair a break, let it grow even more, and such.

tt1989
08-19-2008, 07:38 PM
[/b] im with ya girl my hair thrives in protective styles.

liberationtheory
08-24-2008, 01:36 PM
my twists have to come down today b/c they are itching like crazy. so i&#39;m going to rock a twist out today and then clarify wash this evening. i&#39;m not sure what style i&#39;m going to put it back in, but i&#39;m thinking flat-twists unless i get some other inspirations from some of your albums.

how&#39;s it going for everyone else?

Jazitones
08-24-2008, 02:07 PM
I&#39;m in, one of these days I will stick to a challenge for a consecutive 6 months. :P

NewlyNappyNelle
08-24-2008, 02:51 PM
So my twists are almost a week old and I just did a braid out on them. I wish I was home so I could go to church. Today will be an all about ~Nelle~ day. :)

liberationtheory
08-24-2008, 07:18 PM
okay i lied slightly. i&#39;m not in the mood to take down these twists though they look raggedy now. so i&#39;m gonna wash with them in, moisturize, and maybe do a bantu knot style with the ones in the front. we shall see. i&#39;ll post pics later.

LBellatrix
08-24-2008, 09:14 PM
I&#39;m in, one of these days I will stick to a challenge for a consecutive 6 months. :P
[/b]

One of these days I will stick to a challenge for a consecutive 6 DAYS...maybe this will be the one. :lol:

I&#39;m taking a break from twisting right now. It&#39;s going real slow because last night while looking for a comb I reached into a bag without looking and sliced open my middle fingertip on a razor with its cover off. :angry: You should see me trying to touch-type right now with a double-bandaged finger. :rolleyes:

Last night I co-washed with Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut, applied my homemade leave-in (conditioner, castor oil, olive oil, aloe vera gel, rosemary EO), detangled, put in fat braids and went to bed. Today I made my first-ever batch of shealoe (using the Vatika coconut oil that&#39;s been sitting around for months) and got to twisting while watching the first season of "Soul Food" on DVD.

So is the goal to keep the style in through 9/15? That&#39;s not gonna happen with my hair. What I&#39;m trying to do is basically wear my hair "out" for only 1-2 days between styling sessions.

OT: Liberation, you guys are pregnant??? Why am I just now seeing this? CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D

liberationtheory
08-24-2008, 09:18 PM
thanks for the congrats.

the goal is to keep your hair protected and not manipulated through mid september. for me, no style is gonna last that long, so i&#39;ll have to redo it about once a week.

LBellatrix
08-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Okay, cool. I usually have to redo my hair after about 10-12 days.

grwingslwly
08-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Never did a protective challenge but I&#39;m in. Just finished a set of kinky twists today. They will prolly stay in until October. Just need to find a way to control the itchies and promote growth in the spot in the middle of my head.

classicsh101
08-25-2008, 12:56 AM
Im going on my 4th week with my mini braids. Longest I have ever lasted. They don&#39;t look so bad . After my wash and Dc on thursday I braided my mini braids into medium sized braids. I think im going to extend my protective challenge until the end of Sept. wish me luck.

hervirtue
08-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Ok, so I put in some really small twists last night and I pray that I go for at least two weeks before I take them down and re-do them. Wish me luck, cause usually my head starts itching like crap after about four days.

mymy
08-25-2008, 03:24 PM
I&#39;m in. I just deep conditioned and put in a new set of twists over the weekend. I will redo mine every 7-10 days to keep them looking fresh.

liberationtheory
08-25-2008, 06:05 PM
i did it yall! i was able, for the FIRST TIME, wash my hair with twists in. (don&#39;t laugh)

i did it in sections and used a gentle shampoo- j/a/s/o/n&#39;s tea tree. then i followed by an acv rinse and then conditioner. then i applied my moegrow to my scalp AND twists, put it in two fat twists, and slept with my microfiber turban overnight. this morning, nice crinkly twists and no more itchy scalp.

it&#39;ll last me through the week and then i HAVE to redo it b/c it&#39;s so frizzy. i look like a child that just came in from recess with their hair falling all in their face.

frumny2nc
08-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Is it too late to join. Cuz I&#39;m in too. I guess I&#39;ll start from today and count 30 days. So From today until Sept. 25th. My hairline thanks you :D

liberationtheory
08-25-2008, 06:19 PM
it&#39;s never too late!

street froetry
08-25-2008, 06:31 PM
wait... i&#39;m not sure if i&#39;m cheating right now :unsure: ... i have most of my hair in a twistout [see avatar]

Laquita
08-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Im going on my 4th week with my mini braids. Longest I have ever lasted. They don&#39;t look so bad . After my wash and Dc on thursday I braided my mini braids into medium sized braids. I think im going to extend my protective challenge until the end of Sept. wish me luck.
[/b]

:D I&#39;ve been wearing my mini-braids for about 4 weeks as well - I plan to take mine down and re-do sometime this weekend so I&#39;m also in. - My long-term goal is to keep my hair in protective styles until the summer - the idea of 30 days at a time sounds much better ;)

liberationtheory
08-25-2008, 06:55 PM
i think that achieves 1 of the 2 ideals behind a protective style. it *does* allow for low manipulation but the ends and shafts aren&#39;t protected at all, so it could lead to damage.

at least that happens for me.

what are your goals for protective styles? what outcome are you looking for?

use the answers to that to assess whether or not your style is truly protective.

Majesti
08-25-2008, 08:04 PM
:) I am in. I just BC&#39;d on Mother&#39;s Day and I&#39;m already twisting. Mind you they are TWT&#39;s (aka teenie weenie twists) but they&#39;re cute and the hubby loves em&#39; so I can roll with it. My daughter&#39;s hair is also all natural and I have been trying for years to get her hair right. It just gets so dry so during this challenge, I&#39;m gonna keep her in twists and follow a suggestion I picked up from Miss Batyah&#39;s fotki about an oil she&#39;s used.

Besides I just Pinked myself last night so I can&#39;t wait to get involved.

myzzvicky
08-27-2008, 11:39 PM
ooohhh can i think i want to join. right now i have my hair braided in the fron with twists in the back. I plan to keep these in for two weeks, hopefully, and then do something else to my hair. :)

amberdcox
08-28-2008, 12:14 AM
well i&#39;m wearing an afropuff until next week. but i take it down, pin my hair in some messy knots, and cover it until the next day.

it seems to be working pretty well. i will twist it when i get some more time, but i&#39;m swamped.

frumny2nc
09-02-2008, 07:31 PM
One week strong. Anybody else still in?

Wonderfully Made!
09-02-2008, 07:33 PM
I&#39;m in, but I want to put my twists in in October. I&#39;ll keep em for the whole winter, and I&#39;ll be using Moe&#39;s Growth stuff during that time! :D

hervirtue
09-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Bumping this for those of us who will be in this challenge for the upcoming winter season.

I&#39;m still wearing my twists and so far I am not having a problem with retaining moisture thanks to my Qhemet Biologics products. I&#39;m having a really hard time stretching my twist to last two weeks. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to make them last. They start to look a bit fuzzy and unkept after about 5 or 6 days and my scalp starts itching.