PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had a lump removed from a breast ?

Knottygal
01-24-2003, 10:40 PM
I'm 28 and I have a lump that needs to be removed. I am real nervous. The doctor says a lot of young women have them and most are caused by consuming a lot of caffeine...I just wanted to know if anyone has been through this and how was the actual surgery. I have the option of full anesthesia or local anesthesia....

ihgemini
01-27-2003, 12:44 AM
Blessings Knotty,
I had a tumor removed from my breast in 1996. It was a rare tumor that grew within and comsumed the nipple. After numerous "second" opinions I was advised to remove the lump. The consensus among all the doctors was if the lump can be felt, I needs to be removed. I had the tumor removed under general anesthesia, and had to care for the incision with anti-bacterial cream while bandaged. Because I am well endowed, I wore a bra at all times to prevent pulling on the incision area. Even while sleeping, but everything turned out fine, and no recurrance of growth. I currently have a mass in the other breast that is seen on film but is not palpable. So I had mammograms every six months when first discovered, and now have them yearly to keep track that there is no change in the mass. If you have any further questions, please feel free to respond on board or PM me. I'd be glad to help in any way.

Knottygal
01-27-2003, 08:03 PM
Thanks so much for getting back. I guess this isn't a common thing since not too many have posted.

NubiRubi
01-27-2003, 09:32 PM
Actually, I think it is more common than thought. Quite a few women have these lumps but most doctors aren't pushing for removal (for varied reasons). I was diagnosed with a fibroadenoma late last year...and I really wanted to get it removed, but the doctors suggested I wait. I've calmed down about it more now...but I still think that I might get it removed this year...I just don't like thinking of what it might become...

NaturalK
01-28-2003, 07:35 AM
I've had 3 lumps removed. The first was when I was in high school and the last was in spring 2000.

The first 2 times I had them removed, I was fully awake during the biopsy. They just numbed the area and removed the lump. This last time I had local anesthesia that was to make me drowsy, but I was pretty much awake during that procedure too.

Each time I had them removed I was very nervous about the test results, but they were always benign. I guess some women just have very fibrous breast tissue. In my case, I believe it's genetic.

Melody0329
08-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Yes I have had a lump removed from both breasts. I was only 12 when it happened...I was told that it was due to excessive caffeine intake. I understand the nervousness. I had full anesthesia.

littlelibra
08-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Yes..I was in my early twenties and am now 32. I found it in my teens and was told that it was a cyst...so no worries. My gyno explained to me that as we age, our bodies change and felt that having it removed was in my best interest. So I did. I was put to sleep and had to take a few days off of work. But it was an easy surgery. You'll be fine, sis!

swingbolder
08-16-2011, 09:52 PM
I had one removed when I was in high school. General anesthesia. Don't be scared, it's completely routine. I did not drink a lot of caffeine at the time, lumps just run in my family.

I have another lump that developed over 20 years ago. One or two doctors have tried to convince me to get it removed but I didn't listen to them.

Dovechild20
08-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Yep, back in 2005, in just one breast, i had two cysts that needed to be removed. I was up and at em in a lil under a week (and was put under general anethesia (sp?)).

~GAN~
08-17-2011, 11:09 PM
I had a cyst removed about 5 or 6 years ago. I was out the same day and didn't experience any pain. It was scary at the time, but it was benign so nothing major.

OHR
08-17-2011, 11:27 PM
I had one drained maybe 15 years ago. Relatively painless. And yes, I'm prone to lumpy breasts [caffeine]. A goal is to drink less coffee beginning this school year. My gyn has been after me about that.