PDA

View Full Version : Portabella Mushroom Recipes

snuckles
04-12-2004, 05:43 PM
I have some in my fridge right now and not sure what to do with them. I'm not interested in cutting them up and stir frying them which is what I usually do. Anyone got any other recipes for these babies?

BlaqEmpress
04-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Do you have caps? If so, you could grill them (Foreman grill is killa).

grill (or broil them in the oven)
I remove the stems and use them in salad. I make up a sort of marinade using olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, coarse salt, and italian seasoning. I brush the marinade over the tops and liberally under the gills. Hit 3 on the Foreman grill and that's 'bout it. I usually have these when DH eats burgers so I won't feel left out since I'm vegan.

You could also make like an antipasto with them or put them in a macaroni salad or toss them in olive oil with sauteed onion, bell pepper, garlic over some pasta

HTH
~Blessings

skn
04-13-2004, 05:57 AM
You could try stuffing them. I've done this before and ppl just go crazy. Cut the stems out and chop them up, adding: garlic, shallots, cheese, cilantro. (Basically whatever you like.) Brush the caps with a little olive oil, add the stuffing and put them under the broiler. You can add bread crumbs too, if you like.

Portabellos are usually pretty big, so if I serve them as an appetizer I cut them into quarters. HTH.

marissasensei
04-13-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by skn@Apr 12 2004, 09:57 PM
You could try stuffing them. I've done this before and ppl just go crazy. Cut the stems out and chop them up, adding: garlic, shallots, cheese, cilantro. (Basically whatever you like.) Brush the caps with a little olive oil, add the stuffing and put them under the broiler. You can add bread crumbs too, if you like.

Portabellos are usually pretty big, so if I serve them as an appetizer I cut them into quarters. HTH.
This sounds good, but I'm a little slow--you mix the chopped up stem with the other ingredients? Do you scrape off the gill things on the underside of the cap? How long do you broil them for? And you broil them cap side down?

I'm not that imaginative--I usually just chop up portabella mushrooms and add them to my veggie lasagna to make it a bit more 'meaty.'

skn
04-13-2004, 07:29 AM
This sounds good, but I'm a little slow--you mix the chopped up stem with the other ingredients? Do you scrape off the gill things on the underside of the cap? How long do you broil them for? And you broil them cap side down?

Sorries, I guess I left out a couple of steps. :doh Yes, you clear out the gills. You can use the gills in the stuffing too, if you like (they add good flavor). You mix the chopped up stems with your other stuffing ingredients then saute them for a bit. (I kind of do this according to my audience. If I'm cooking for ppl that don't like strong flavors, I saute the garlic and spinach first.) And for the stuffing anything goes -- whatever your palate calls for. I mentioned a few that I like, shallots and garlic being key, but you can also toss in chopped spinach, arugula, really anything.

Then, you stuff the caps and broil the caps stuffing side up/cap side down in the broiler. The whole thing should be nice and bubbly by the end (10-12 minutes or so.) If you have no objections to cheese, it's easiest to do this the first time with cheese. (Parm works great) You can tell when it's done when the cheese starts to brown lightly on top.

Wow, all of a sudden this sounds really complicated, but it's not. I promise. :)

(You can cook the other side of the caps for a minute if you want before stuffing -- I've never found that to be necessary. The caps cook with the stuffing ingredients.)

I hope that makes sense.

snuckles
04-13-2004, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all of the responses.

Funny Skn that you'll mention stuffing them because that's exactly what I did last night and they were wonderful. Ooooh, thanks for mentioning spinach that sounds like it would've been a good addition to what I made last night. Here's a link to a recipe for stuffed portabella mushrooms that I made last night: http://maindish.allrecipes.com/az/PrtbllNirvn.asp

Tonight, I think I'm gonna get some more of these suckers and stir fry them after all. I need my jalapeno, salsa and sour cream fix, plus I found some spinach low carb wraps that I'd love to try.

marissasensei
04-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the recipes, skn & snuckles. Will definitely be trying them out.

QueenLocks
04-22-2004, 03:43 PM
I use them in my pasta. :pop