PDA

View Full Version : Want A Loc Buddy?

Sierradiamond
08-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Hiya,

I'm starting locs with 2 strand twists tomorrow and I'm DIYing it. I'm really excited but a little scared so would love a buddy to share the journey with.

I'm in the UK but this is the internet so I guess it doesn't really matter where we are. I was planning on getting sisterlocks but it's way outside of my budget and since I'm used to plaiting/weaving/twisting my hair myself I figure I can do this without a loctician. Is this foolish of me???

Take a look at a few pics I have up if you can and let me know if you'd like to help a gal out.

http://public.fotki.com/SierraDiamond/

Thanks guys,

S

guapa1
08-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Alright fellow Londoner!!!

I'm doing the same except with braids. It is exciting isn't it? Have you told your family?

Sierradiamond
08-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Hiya! So I'm not alone!

Your braidlocs look really good, well done. A great size too and very neat. Kinda wish I started with braidlocs now because my ends keep loosening a little. Oh well, no way I'm taking them down now - I ended up with about 350 twists so they HAVE to stay.

My friends and family are all cool with it really, so cool I don't think they care, lol. My cousin got locs installed at the start of the year and I have a few uncles with locs so it's not really a big deal for us. I'm trying to get my Mum to join me with it so watch this space. How about you?

Have you washed your hair yet? I'm a lil scared to do it but gonna face it and do it tonight. Wish me luck :-)

Whereabouts in London are you?

guapa1
09-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Lucky! My dad is a rasta so that's alright, but on my mums side it's very different. My gran has told me numerous times that she'll disown me if I loc.

I decided to do it while I'm not well she has sympathy for me at the moment!! :lol:

The reason I chose braids is so I can continue to wash my hair. I'm going to wash it tonight for the first time. I know they'll be alright, because I do it all the time when I'm wearing fine braids. In fact it helps the locing process!

How did your wash go?

miss_hotti
09-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Lucky! My dad is a rasta so that's alright, but on my mums side it's very different. My gran has told me numerous times that she'll disown me if I loc.

I decided to do it while I'm not well she has sympathy for me at the moment!! :lol:

The reason I chose braids is so I can continue to wash my hair. I'm going to wash it tonight for the first time. I know they'll be alright, because I do it all the time when I'm wearing fine braids. In fact it helps the locing process!

How did your wash go?
[/b]

Hi Guapa! Remember me from back in the day? Hope your keeping well. Congrats on starting your lock journey. There looking great from your pics so far. I'm Starting my own lock journey in November, so it will be interesting to see how your locks progress and mature a few months ahead of mine.

miss_hotti

Msafiri
09-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Hey Sierradiamond and Guapa1,thanks for sharing your journeys.Both of you ladies have fantastic locs,can hardly believe they are new.I am a new locker too and am pleased to see fellow lockers going through teh same journey.
Guapa, how do you maintain braidlocks,I mean relock them or something?
Thanks for the inspiration.

guapa1
09-10-2008, 08:02 AM
But wait... MISS HOTTI!!! **HUGS**

Where you been? How you been? Great to hear you are starting locks! How you going to start them?

Hiya NJ. I haven't done my first retightening yet, but I'm going to latch. I'm going to buy a latch hook and do it myself.

miss_hotti
09-11-2008, 04:23 PM
But wait... MISS HOTTI!!! **HUGS**

Where you been? How you been? Great to hear you are starting locks! How you going to start them?
[/b]

Sorry for hijacking your post Sierradiamond.

Hey Guapa. I've been AWOL :D Since we were in touch last, I've been working my *** off at work, and extending my family. It's all taken up a lot of time :blush: Even though life is hectic, I've been really good thanks. I'm just getting on with life the best way I can. How are you anyway? What you been up too? You haven't changed one bit looking at your fotki, your still looking good. Do still link up with Roseburnt? And hows Anita G doing?

Anyhoo back to the locks lol. I decided I wanted to lock a while back but didn't really know how to go about it. I really liked the look of Sisterlocks so have been researching consultants and stalking lock blogs and lockitup forum. I'm not actually getting Sisterlocks but microlocks which look very similar. I'm not bothered what there labelled, I just know my consultant does a wicked set of locks, and she's very encouraging of self maintenance once there settled etc. I'm seeing her soon for a consultation. If were both happy I'll be getting installed in November. So I'll be coming down south on the regular getting my hair retightened until I'm good to go myself. I thought I'd catch up with nappturality and look at the lock boards and lo and behold I see a blast from the past lol, so thought I'd say hello.

Hows your braidlocks coming along?

guapa1
10-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Ahhh, so glad to hear about your family! I talk to RosieB every so often. Anita is fine, just had a lovely baby.
I'm so glad you've got a good consultant.

Believe it or not for the first time ever I'm nervous about doing my hair. So I've them in for nearly 2 months now and I should tighten. I bought a latchhook, but it looks too big to go through my new growth.

Also I've realised how small I've actually done them. To sit down and latch is gonna take years!
I'm thinking of going to Morris Roots for some advice.

Sierra... How you doing?

poetical
10-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Wow, ok, so both Guapa and Sierra Diamond are in London and have just started locking their hair... GREAT, I'm also a Londoner and been meaning to start for a little while now, wouldn't mind knowing how you guys maintain it after you've twisted it, do you palm roll or latch? (which is a term I am still puzzled by :( )

Neway, it would be cool if you let me know!! thank you!!!

guapa1
10-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Hiya Poetical welcome!

I've only just started, I'm around 6 weeks in and attempting my first tightening. Latching is using a tool (some use a latchhook, nappytool, fingers or a hair pin!) and looping the loc through the new growth and pulling through. That tightens it up.

There is loads of info on here, read through the stickies.

When do you think you're going to start?

MrsMac
02-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi,

thought I'd jump in and say hello. I'm also in London and loc'ed in '07. How's everyone doing?

DefinitionAfro
08-12-2009, 01:51 AM
Hey,

I'm in luton..and will be moving to London in september. I'm getting interlocked dreads on the 1st sept! :) I think ill be getting them done in crystal palace.. at a place called Strictly dreadz in SW or SE london? Do you know of any other good locticians in london? x

belthom
09-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Well.. I HAVE TO REPLY TO THIS TOPIC....Londoner also but now living in N'pton.... been doing mine for 9months now.. maybe us UK folk can be helping each other as we don't have the same things as other countries may do..... Brands, hairdressers, etc.. i'm sure you understand.... x