PDA

View Full Version : Please Recommend A Shampoo Loc Sistahs

cymonebreathe
08-29-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm looking for a shampoo that can really get out all of the dirt/lint/oil build up I have in my hair since I only wash about 1-2 a month. But I don't want anything that leaves my hair feeling "Stripped" or too dry. Also, I can never get a shampoo that actually lathers up my hair. A shampoo that can offer some body to my hair would be nice as well.

If anyone can suggest something that would help so much!

In positive energy,
Cymone

truediva27
08-29-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm looking for a shampoo that can really get out all of the dirt/lint/oil build up I have in my hair since I only wash about 1-2 a month. But I don't want anything that leaves my hair feeling "Stripped" or too dry. Also, I can never get a shampoo that actually lathers up my hair. A shampoo that can offer some body to my hair would be nice as well.

In positive energy,
Cymone
[/b]

Hi loc'd sis,
I personally use JML and it does dry my locs a bit, but I combat the dryness with coconut milk/EVOO conditioner mix. I see a lot of sista's/bro's on this site highly recommend Dr. Bronner's shampoos. I hear that it thoroughly cleans the scalp. I haven't tried it myself but I think I will. But you can do a search for shampoo's and you will probably see all kinds of things recommended. I think its all about trial and error to see what your hair likes. good luck.

Sole_Rebel
08-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Bless!

Funny Diva mentioned Dr. Bronners, it dries out my scalp AND hair. You can try Avalon as well, its a bit pricy but it's only a bit more than Pantene--but don't use Pantene unless you're using a clarifying shampoo. You can also try using organic coconut oil after washing.

One Love
SR

Mahdahenne
08-29-2008, 06:18 PM
hi cymone, i was just wondering, how are you using the shampoo? i, myself, usually dont lather after the first wash. usually by the 2nd or 3rd time i lather up is when i actually see the it(the bubbles from shampoo) i have had my locs for 4 years and one month. (i need to put in a link for a photo) i found it very helpful when i actually put the shampoo in a spray bottle with water. (1 part shampoo: 2 parts water) I spray the scalp first and then i spray along the loc. then you squeeze it thru your locs. doing it this way will save on shampoo and you still get the job done.

now for the types of shampoo you might wanna use, well currently im using avalon organics- lemon clarifier and the conditioner. i have so many types of shampoo in my bathroom, that i cant really suggest one for you. why? well im a recovering product junky. and i have in my closet, pantene's relaxed and natural, isoplus the one with orange oil i it, paul mitchell's tea tree- too stripping, a brand of jason's, head and shoulders, suave clarifier, that dr bonners stuff and anything else im forgetting. (im not at home right now, so im not looking in my closet)

so maybe someone else can help you with the kind of shampoo that might work for you. Heck, for me too!

cymonebreathe
08-29-2008, 06:28 PM
hi cymone, i was just wondering, how are you using the shampoo? i, myself, usually dont lather after the first wash. usually by the 2nd or 3rd time i lather up is when i actually see the it(the bubbles from shampoo) i have had my locs for 4 years and one month. (i need to put in a link for a photo) i found it very helpful when i actually put the shampoo in a spray bottle with water. (1 part shampoo: 2 parts water) I spray the scalp first and then i spray along the loc. then you squeeze it thru your locs. doing it this way will save on shampoo and you still get the job done.

now for the types of shampoo you might wanna use, well currently im using avalon organics- lemon clarifier and the conditioner. i have so many types of shampoo in my bathroom, that i cant really suggest one for you. why? well im a recovering product junky. and i have in my closet, pantene's relaxed and natural, isoplus the one with orange oil i it, paul mitchell's tea tree- too stripping, a brand of jason's, head and shoulders, suave clarifier, that dr bonners stuff and anything else im forgetting. (im not at home right now, so im not looking in my closet)

so maybe someone else can help you with the kind of shampoo that might work for you. Heck, for me too!
[/b]

thanks everyone. wanna know something? i had never heard of Avalon before. i went onto their website and i think i'm convinced! gonna try'em. but as for your question Mahdahenne I usually just wet my hair a lot and pour in tons of shampoo to get it really sudsy, then i rinse and i'm on to conditioner. i don't wash more than once at one time because i'm afraid of over-drying my hair so much. i think the coconut oil recommendation is great. never thought of that before either, but i'm sure it will do the trick! cocunut oil really helps my hair lock in moisture (which is importante for me because i've bleached and otherwise colored my hair so it's really dry).

Mahdahenne, does the spray bottle trick really work? hmm..maybe i can do that in between washes. do u find that it unravels your twisted new growth though?

Mahdahenne
08-29-2008, 06:40 PM
my locs are interlocked so i dont worry about the unraveling so much. i do like the coconut oil because i tried it, but like most product junkies, the last time i used it, i used too much. so no heavy-handedness. lol

funny thing is that lately i have been thinking about either combining my locs or starting over sometime next year. if i do, then i might try using the braidloc method and just palm rolling for maintenance.

oh yeah, by the way, i only bought avalon organics shampoo and conditioner because Target had it on clearance for, i think $3.50 or $4.50 a bottle. i would've never paid the regular price for it. its interesting that $4.50 is considered clearance on shampoo when the bottle is small and the regular price is around $7-8 dollars.

cy, as of right now, my roots are fuzzy though, but not enough for a touch-up yet. :P

MYBELOVED
08-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Hey. I've been locked 23 mos. Basically used same shampoo as on loose hair. I'm really digging Taliah Wajiid Black Earth Shampoo, for about $10. I'm still using the same bottle I bought in Oct 2007. Tia @ Duafe advised me to dilute my shampoo since locs tend to hold onto product. The TWBE does not strip my hair. My locs feel really soft and plump when I'm lathering up. I use natural oils as a conditioner afterwards. My hair feels fine, growing well. HTH

justkinah
08-29-2008, 09:15 PM
I use Burt's Bees products that are good and leaves my head clean. It also makes my color stand out once I shampoo and condition my hair.

Poetic_Butterfly
08-29-2008, 10:11 PM
I use Burt's Bees products that are good and leaves my head clean. It also makes my color stand out once I shampoo and condition my hair.
[/b]

I would like to try Burt's and Bees shampoo. :) I wondered how Burt's and Bees products would work on locs.

Peace,
Rasta

thefineprint
08-29-2008, 10:49 PM
I recommend Dr. Bronners. It is a very concentrated shampoo and must be diluted. In my experience, some people have experienced dryness because it wasn't diluted properly. I've used it for a year on my sisterlocks and they stay soft and buildup free. I always follow up with moisture though - usually an oil mix. Good luck!

I also used to wash with Aveda Rosemary Mint and that worked great too.

stephbut
08-30-2008, 12:05 AM
you wash your hair 1 to 2 times a month!? :(...... Maybe if you washed your hair more the build up wouldnt be such a huge problem. no snark meant by this. also tea tree shampoo leaves my hair feeling EXTRA fresh, but i dont stress over shampoos though. i wash about once a week, depending on how much product i end up putting in her my hair. if i find myself slapping on the beeswax, i find myself washing more frequently. but the less i put in my hair, the less dirty it is, and the less of a difference it makes what shampoo i use. i mean i could use bar soap if i wanted.

CurleeDST
08-30-2008, 12:12 AM
Also sounds as if you are over saturating your hair with shampoo which will definitely dry it out.

thanks everyone. wanna know something? i had never heard of Avalon before. i went onto their website and i think i'm convinced! gonna try'em. but as for your question Mahdahenne I usually just wet my hair a lot and pour in tons of shampoo to get it really sudsy, then i rinse and i'm on to conditioner. i don't wash more than once at one time because i'm afraid of over-drying my hair so much. i think the coconut oil recommendation is great. never thought of that before either, but i'm sure it will do the trick! cocunut oil really helps my hair lock in moisture (which is importante for me because i've bleached and otherwise colored my hair so it's really dry).

Mahdahenne, does the spray bottle trick really work? hmm..maybe i can do that in between washes. do u find that it unravels your twisted new growth though?
[/b]

cymonebreathe
08-30-2008, 03:19 AM
you wash your hair 1 to 2 times a month!? :(...... Maybe if you washed your hair more the build up wouldnt be such a huge problem. no snark meant by this. also tea tree shampoo leaves my hair feeling EXTRA fresh, but i dont stress over shampoos though. i wash about once a week, depending on how much product i end up putting in her my hair. if i find myself slapping on the beeswax, i find myself washing more frequently. but the less i put in my hair, the less dirty it is, and the less of a difference it makes what shampoo i use. i mean i could use bar soap if i wanted.
[/b]

no stark taken stephbut! i probably should wash my hair more often but, truth be told, i hate having to retwist my hair so often like that. i really want the new growth to lock and washing it more often than what i do slows that from happening. so i kind of *cough*...let the oils and shea butter build up until i can't take it anymore (2-3 weeks). really, i should adopt a regimine or at least some helpful haircare tips from my fellow loc brothers and sisters. up until now i haven't paid much attention to my hair. time for change.

so keep the recommendations coming. you should see me. i literally have a notepad out HAH.

Namaste
-Cymone

Socalady25
08-30-2008, 11:07 AM

In positive energy,
Cymone
[/b]

it's all about trial and error...try different brands and see what works for you. I use Aveda's Brilliance Shampoo. It's supposed to deep clean, but it doesn't leave my hair feeling dry.

delleaux
08-30-2008, 11:38 PM
I recommend Dr. Bronners. It is a very concentrated shampoo and must be diluted. In my experience, some people have experienced dryness because it wasn't diluted properly. I've used it for a year on my sisterlocks and they stay soft and buildup free. I always follow up with moisture though - usually an oil mix. Good luck!

I also used to wash with Aveda Rosemary Mint and that worked great too.
[/b]
I have been locked for 3 years and only used Dr. Bronners and you are right it will not dry the hair out unless you dilute it properly. It really cleans my dreads. That is all I have been using. It is very economical because you dilute it it stretches more. I made the mistake buything pureology this overpriced clarifying shampoo that had more chemicals than I can pronounce. My dreads never suffered from excessive drying because after a wash I use essential oils w/o water and use eo and water daily until my next shampoo!!!!!! Have you tried their new citrus? Smells devine!!!!! :D :D :D

ms_rite
08-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi there

As the other posters have said it is a matter of trial and error. Because I have problems with dryness of my scalp and lockers I have had an awful time looking for products that helped with my journey.

Through trial and error I worked out that natural products are best for me, nothing with cones or SLS is doing me any favours. So I steer clear of them. I recently bought some Anita Grant (http://www.anitagrant.com)samples - and I was blown away with the results. I have been through every commercial product you can think of even the the pseudo natural ones...and I have had dry locs, and a flaky scalp. AG products have helped with the dryness, hey are thoroughly clean, my locks feel strong and I don't worry about build-up any more.

Just a question OP, I know you are still looking for the right product, but have you considered washing your locks more frequently, even just rinsing will help significantly.

EarthyDiva
08-31-2008, 02:19 AM
The spray bottle technique really works. I also let it sit for half hour to an hour to really allow it to break down dirt.

I would also focus on a shampoo with no SLS'. Burts Bees, Trader Joes Nourishing, ABBA and lots of others have none.

I don't put a whole lot of gook in my hair, so there is not much to wash out but sweat. But especially in the summer, the salty sweat can have my hair drying out, so even a really good rinse can help.

thefineprint
08-31-2008, 03:04 PM
so i kind of *cough*...let the oils and shea butter build up until i can't take it anymore (2-3 weeks).

[/b]

If you are letting the oils and shea butter build up for weeks then you are most definitely on the road for buildup - which will lead to even drier scalp and locks. I think the general consensus on this board is to wash regularly and often. You won't be able to keep the manicured look but your *clean* locks will form in due time. I don't think its worth starting your journey off with buildup - it will just cause even more troubles down the road.

Sole_Rebel
08-31-2008, 05:58 PM
. i really want the new growth to lock and washing it more often than what i do slows that from happening. so i kind of *cough*...let the oils and shea butter build up until i can't take it anymore (2-3 weeks).
[/b]

Sister I MUST clear this up for you before your journey becomes frustrating. H2O is the ONLY thing that will help you hair loc!!!!! you'll be wise to remember this. Twisting does not help the hair loc, it just keeps it neat...And using a lot of products especially artificial ones will only engrave the Build-up situation down the road. I'm telling you from experience, you can look at my fotki if you wish and I'd be happy to help you find a more rewarding regime based on what has worked for me and other sisters in this forum.

Be Blesses
One Love
SR

ms_rite
08-31-2008, 07:07 PM
^^^ This is great advice!!!

KnottyAuthor
08-31-2008, 08:23 PM
I love black soap. It moisturizes and cleanses. just LOVE it! Dr Bs- I love it! I'm hooked to the smell...BUT...I have an allergic rxn through the whole shampoo session..sneezing and whatnot. Lots of choices! Keep it simple!

congobrava
09-01-2008, 02:24 AM
I love black soap. It moisturizes and cleanses. just LOVE it! Dr Bs- I love it! I'm hooked to the smell...BUT...I have an allergic rxn through the whole shampoo session..sneezing and whatnot. Lots of choices! Keep it simple!
[/b]

co-signing on what cheleski said. i also use black soap to wash my hair and i LOVE it. im also a fan of dr. bronner's (i mix the peppermint and tea tree shampoos). i like to keep it simple and natural if possible

Denny
09-01-2008, 02:36 PM
no stark taken stephbut! i probably should wash my hair more often but, truth be told, i hate having to retwist my hair so often like that. i really want the new growth to lock and washing it more often than what i do slows that from happening. so i kind of *cough*...let the oils and shea butter build up until i can't take it anymore (2-3 weeks). really, i should adopt a regimine or at least some helpful haircare tips from my fellow loc brothers and sisters. up until now i haven't paid much attention to my hair. time for change.

so keep the recommendations coming. you should see me. i literally have a notepad out HAH.

Namaste
-Cymone
[/b]

I co sign with the others, water is your friend not your enemy, shea butter avoid if you can it might not be helping, As for shampoo I use Aveda Brilliant or Fantasie tea shampoo but both have SLS in them, having lots of suds does not mean cleaner hair (I think thats a hair myth). Plus try an AVC rinse as well, in the long run your shampoo choice will come down to trial aand error till you find what works for you. But whatever you use I recommend diluting the shampoo & conditioner and spraying it on the locks to reduce buildup.

Good luck

Natural Kinks
09-01-2008, 05:01 PM
I absolutely LOVE Carol's Daughter Khoret Amen shampoo. It's very moisturizing and a little goes a long way with diluting (which I recommend) but I have to accept that my hair and scalp just don't like castille-based shampoos - it coats and I have to be sure to do an ACV rinse. I've known it for years (couldn't let go of that scent) but that's only the drawback for ME because it's great if your hair and scalp like castille-based shampoos. I hadn't found one that even came close to that amount of moisture UNTIL :D I tried a shampoo bar from Lush. I went to the store in Soho, NYC. They have stores all over though and you'd have to go the site to find a location near you. At any rate, I got the Godiva (which smells heavenly) and Trichomania. Due to it being a bar, I can wash MUCH faster versus spraying over my scalp and they last longer since they aren't liquids. One bar will last you a good 5-6 months so it's well worth the price. My friend got Soak n Float because it's for dandruff and she loves it - said that it took care of her dandruff. I won't be going back to liquid shampoos after this. Not only is Godiva extremely moisturizing, it's residue-free (rinses out a LOT easier) and my locs are left light and full of body - actually with more body than I've ever had. I also don't need conditioner afterwards.

ETA: website with all of the shampoo bars

http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/catzoom...d=SolidShampoos (http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/catzoom.html?mv_arg=Solid%20Shampoos&expand=Haircare&sexpand=SolidShampoos)

phillygirl
09-02-2008, 01:56 PM
but I have to accept that my hair and scalp just don't like castille-based shampoos - it coats and I have to be sure to do an ACV rinse. I've known it for years (couldn't let go of that scent) but that's only the drawback for ME because it's great if your hair and scalp like castille-based shampoos. I hadn't found one that even came close to that amount of moisture UNTIL :D I tried a shampoo bar from Lush. I went to the store in Soho, NYC. They have stores all over though and you'd have to go the site to find a location near you. At any rate, I got the Godiva (which smells heavenly) and Trichomania. Due to it being a bar, I can wash MUCH faster versus spraying over my scalp and they last longer since they aren't liquids. One bar will last you a good 5-6 months so it's well worth the price. My friend got Soak n Float because it's for dandruff and she loves it - said that it took care of her dandruff. I won't be going back to liquid shampoos after this. Not only is Godiva extremely moisturizing, it's residue-free (rinses out a LOT easier) and my locs are left light and full of body - actually with more body than I've ever had. I also don't need conditioner afterwards.

http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/catzoom...d=SolidShampoos (http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/catzoom.html?mv_arg=Solid%20Shampoos&expand=Haircare&sexpand=SolidShampoos)
[/b]

I thought it was only me!!!!! Everybody raved so much about Dr. B's that I thought I was doing something wrong (plus the smell is soooo divine) that I just kept on using it, thinking that eventually it would work out. After a while, though, my hair started looking dull, and I had to stop using it. Recently, I got some Aveda Detoxifying Shampoo (after looking through your album, actually, NK), which I dilute about 40% with water, and I have found my true love! It cleans my hair thoroughly without leaving a residue and, despite what the girl in the Aveda store said, doesn't strip my hair AT ALL (may have something to do with how much I dilute it) and, as a bonus, I absolutely LOVE the smell. I was using a Suave conditioner after the castile soap, but now I condition my hair with aloe vera juice mixed with a little castor oil. My hair - and skin - have never been happier.

Himanot
09-02-2008, 02:31 PM
I use VO5 clarifying shampoo and Bath and Body Works clear moisturizing shampoo. So far...so good. No problems.

ya~akua
09-02-2008, 02:50 PM
previously i was using the generic version of Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner...now i am currently in love with the VO5 vanilla and mint tea shampoo and conditioner and there only 99cents...luv them...

delleaux
09-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I would like to try Burt's and Bees shampoo. :) I wondered how Burt's and Bees products would work on locs.

Peace,
Rasta
[/b]

I use their conditioner grapefruit and beets I think and it is pretty good. :P :P

artistnexile
09-02-2008, 08:56 PM
A shampoo that I heard great things about and may be cost efficient is the Suave Clarifying Shampoo. I do this in conjuction with an ACV rinse before to really loosen things up. After Shampooing twice. I do a deep condition with Jamaican Mango & Lime conditioner.

Godscreationnyc
09-03-2008, 02:11 AM
[/b]

Hi Cheleski!,

This is nubianlockedprincess. I was given a brick of black soap as a gift. I love the way it cleans my skin without drying. I started using it on my face and my skin cleared up! ( have some perimenopausal acne on top of oily skin. LOL)

Since my hair is in the process of locking ( 9mo old), I still don`t use shampoos because they have some softeners added,( I still experiencing slippage in some locks) My NottyBoy shampoo which I love is almost finished. I was wondering do you experience any build up with the black soap because I have notice there is a brown reidue that is left when I place it in a soap dish. I really want to try it the next time I shampoo in two weeks! Please get back with me!

Blessings!

NLP

lockedndabx
09-03-2008, 02:40 AM
Hello All!

I have had the same kind of problem the original poster had with buildup. (I'm sorry I forgot your name). What's really funny is I've had my locs now for about 8 months and I don't have a problem with dandruff, itching or anything like that. Its just when I wash it, it looks so horrible, I keep washing but nothing gets rid of the gooky, build up. So could this be a result of not washing my hair often, ( I too wash 1/month).

The majority of my hair is locked with a few that are twisted but not completely locked. I'm using Jamaican mango and lime products and like the results it gives, it's just the shampoo part. Also at what point should I be conditioning? I read I shouldn't condition in the first month or two to keep from unraveling, but now its been a few months now, so is it ok?

Thank you in advance for your help. It is very much appreciated.

JustAnAngel
09-03-2008, 06:29 AM
[/b]
oooh! I thought i was the only one who had that problem! I tried black soap, and i sneezed like crazy while I was in the shower using it. I haven't tried it again since. Dr. Bronner's dried out my scalp and hair, so I can't use it, even though everyone raves about it.

Natural Kinks
09-04-2008, 10:16 PM
I thought it was only me!!!!! Everybody raved so much about Dr. B's that I thought I was doing something wrong (plus the smell is soooo divine) that I just kept on using it, thinking that eventually it would work out. After a while, though, my hair started looking dull, and I had to stop using it. Recently, I got some Aveda Detoxifying Shampoo (after looking through your album, actually, NK), which I dilute about 40% with water, and I have found my true love! It cleans my hair thoroughly without leaving a residue and, despite what the girl in the Aveda store said, doesn't strip my hair AT ALL (may have something to do with how much I dilute it) and, as a bonus, I absolutely LOVE the smell. I was using a Suave conditioner after the castile soap, but now I condition my hair with aloe vera juice mixed with a little castor oil. My hair - and skin - have never been happier.
[/b]

I can't use Aveda Detoxifying anymore :( . There is something in it that I am allergic too. Sooo sad cause yeah it clarifies well and doesn't dry my hair out either. I think that castile-based shampoos are too alkaline for us and that's why it coats but something like Aveda Detoxifying works really well.

Truessence
09-05-2008, 05:39 PM
A shampoo that I heard great things about and may be cost efficient is the Suave Clarifying Shampoo. I do this in conjuction with an ACV rinse before to really loosen things up. After Shampooing twice. I do a deep condition with Jamaican Mango & Lime conditioner.
[/b]

I used Suave Clarifying Shampoo too. I also use Suave Tropical Coconut. It has been my staple since the birth of my locks.

Socalady25
09-06-2008, 03:40 AM

In positive energy,
Cymone
[/b]

I use Aveda products and have had good results...i get a good lather, it rinses out well, and my hair doesn't feel weighed down. I use Brilliance, and I just tried Shampure a few minutes ago (travel size I found in my suitcase). For conditioner, I use Jane Carter, and then i use a tiny amount of silk protein as a leave in...no buildup...my hair is clean and soft with that routine.

truediva27
09-06-2008, 10:35 PM
I normally use JM&L shampoo but I wanted to try Dr. B's to see what everyone was talking about. I went to target yesterday and they had the small trial size bottles. I bought the Lavender and the Peppermint shampoos and I must admit, I loved the smell. I shampooed with 1/2 teaspoon of shampoo to about 8 1/2 ounces of water in a spray bottle (Not too much lather) and my hair felt clean and it didn't appear dull at all. I guess different strokes for different folks. You have to play around with different shampoos, cleansers, soaps, etc until you find what works for you. Sometimes shampooing alone will not remove buildup. As the other posters stated, sometimes you have to do ACV rinses or Clarifiers to get that extra clean look and feeling. Good luck.

musiq43219
09-07-2008, 12:45 AM
I've been using a shampoo bar from a company based in Ohio called Chagrin Valley. I heard about it on another board (Commerical Products board). Here is a link to the site: http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/

NyckeiXXIV
09-07-2008, 02:24 AM
Okay, babycakes. Lemme try and help you a lil bit, if I may! :D

Firstly, I'd ditch the shea (or use very very very small amounts) and I would DEFINITELY recommend you ditch the beeswax.
Secondly, water is your homeboy. Water and patience are the two best keys to locing.
Thirdly, try to keep it as simple as you can. I myself rotate shampoos cause my locs be on some other ish. :lol: But hands down, I've had Suave Clarifier in my stable for an eon. I rotate it with Suave Vanilla, Herbal Essences Moisturizing and Paul Mitchell Tee Tree. I can't help you with conditioner cause, bottom line, my hair hates it. It does a lot better with an ACV rinse. And I do advise you to try Dr. B, you might like it. As for me, regardless of dilution, at this point in my journey, it's a no, no. :D
Fourthly, feel FREE to wash more often. Especially if you're doing a lot of dropping experimental blends on your locs. You're gonna have some serious build up issues if you're not careful so I sincerely advise you to clarify before you do anything else.
Fifthly, whatever you use, I'd recommend that you dilute, dilute, dilute. You are locing which means that anything you put in needs to be able to get in and out and since there's no guarantee that you're getting it all out, if the product is thinner, you have a better chance of getting it all clean and fresh and new, thus minimizing build-up.

Good Luck and let us know if you need anything else! :D

Himanot
09-07-2008, 12:34 PM
I've been using a shampoo bar from a company based in Ohio called Chagrin Valley. I heard about it on another board (Commerical Products board). Here is a link to the site: http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/
[/b]

Thanks for the link. I think I'm going to have to try a shampoo bar or two. :)

dianaw
09-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Okay, babycakes. Lemme try and help you a lil bit, if I may! :D

Firstly, I'd ditch the shea (or use very very very small amounts) and I would DEFINITELY recommend you ditch the beeswax.
Secondly, water is your homeboy. Water and patience are the two best keys to locing.
Thirdly, try to keep it as simple as you can. I myself rotate shampoos cause my locs be on some other ish. :lol: But hands down, I've had Suave Clarifier in my stable for an eon. I rotate it with Suave Vanilla, Herbal Essences Moisturizing and Paul Mitchell Tee Tree. I can't help you with conditioner cause, bottom line, my hair hates it. It does a lot better with an ACV rinse. And I do advise you to try Dr. B, you might like it. As for me, regardless of dilution, at this point in my journey, it's a no, no. :D
Fourthly, feel FREE to wash more often. Especially if you're doing a lot of dropping experimental blends on your locs. You're gonna have some serious build up issues if you're not careful so I sincerely advise you to clarify before you do anything else.
Fifthly, whatever you use, I'd recommend that you dilute, dilute, dilute. You are locing which means that anything you put in needs to be able to get in and out and since there's no guarantee that you're getting it all out, if the product is thinner, you have a better chance of getting it all clean and fresh and new, thus minimizing build-up.

Good Luck and let us know if you need anything else! :D
[/b]

I co-sign all of this (I cling to your advice, Nyck! :wub: ). I have learned so much from this site, so if I may, I'd like to add: Don't sleep on the cheapies. I thought I was going to have to put some $$$$ out on shampoo and conditioner and then I saw in another NP thread people touting Suave and VO5 clarifying. So I bought some and it's pretty much all I use!

Also, I can't say enough about how much water has helped. As a permie, water is the enemy. After running from water for so long, it took awhile for me to get used to being able to get my hair wet. Now I can't get enough of it! I only wash once a week (every Saturday morning), but I'll rinse every other day.

Once I learned to love water again, I had to get over wanting my hair to look manicured. Just a few weeks ago, I posted saying I wanted my hair to look like Goapele's. Funny how things change.

HTH,
DW

slimm16
09-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Similar question...

Since I started my locs this last time, I have been using the Olive Oil line up(the shampoo, conditioner, hair lotion, oil, oil sheen, and even tried the beezwax that had olive oil in it!!!) well, my girlfriend says that alot of olive oil will break out her face. So I was wonderin, what's a good substitution for my line up :( ?? My hair is ALWAYS thirsty!! I can oil it up and in a couple hours its like i never put anything in it! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

Denny
09-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Similar question...

Since I started my locs this last time, I have been using the Olive Oil line up(the shampoo, conditioner, hair lotion, oil, oil sheen, and even tried the beezwax that had olive oil in it!!!) well, my girlfriend says that alot of olive oil will break out her face. So I was wonderin, what's a good substitution for my line up :( ?? My hair is ALWAYS thirsty!! I can oil it up and in a couple hours its like i never put anything in it! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!
[/b]

Thirst is quenched with water not oil, try rinsing your locs or spraying with water more often.

slimm16
09-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Thirst is quenched with water not oil, try rinsing your locs or spraying with water more often.
[/b]

I rinse daily in the shower!! Could that be a reason why its so dry?? Would I need to use a shower cap??

Denny
09-08-2008, 10:16 PM
I rinse daily in the shower!! Could that be a reason why its so dry?? Would I need to use a shower cap??
[/b]

mmmm for some too much water can be drying, so maybe that is another solution - cutting back on the rinsing. let us know if it works

slimm16
09-08-2008, 10:35 PM
mmmm for some too much water can be drying, so maybe that is another solution - cutting back on the rinsing. let us know if it works
[/b]

hope it works.. will do!! Oh, and I love ya hair.. I was thinkin bout dying my tips but I'm not sure!! :dunno:

Denny
09-08-2008, 11:47 PM
hope it works.. will do!! Oh, and I love ya hair.. I was thinkin bout dying my tips but I'm not sure!! :dunno:
[/b]

Thanks the colour is all over now, need to update my pic when I get my camera fixed. :)
I'm a colour fan so I'd say go for it, test it on one lock at the back somewhere and see how it looks.

sharynleigh
09-10-2008, 01:37 AM
I have a rotation of shampoos that I use. Right now, my favorites are Teawyn shampoo by Nasabb, Mastey Pure Gentle shampoo, Hello Hydration by Herbal Essence, black soap or VO5 Strawberries and Cream. I tried Bronners but I have to doctor it up with olive oil to get the same effect. I try to wash 1-2 times per week and apply a quarter size of coconut, jojoba, sweet almond or olive oil from root to tip only when my locs are wet. If they look dull, I will use a bit of baking soda in my shampoo or do an ACV rinse. That is it. My locs and scalp have a nice clean sheen and these products leave them nice and soft, never dry.

nappynae
09-10-2008, 06:20 PM
I just started locing in January and have been getting my hair washed & retwisted once a month. But I want to start doing it on my own. Sounds like I need to do it more often? Also, for those that do wash every week/2 weeks, do you retwist then as well or just wash & go?

As far as clarifying & following up with conditioners, leave-ins, spritz and eo's - I'm so not good at mixing things, what do you all suggest for the "mix-challenged"? Also, I think the water here has a lot of mineral deposits or something (water turns reddish where it sits and my hair came out terribly dry when I tried to wash it myself), should I use distilled/some type of bottled water instead when I wash my hair? Or is rinsing really well enough?

Right now I use Oyin's Greg Juice and/or CD Black Vanilla Leave-in Conditioner in between visits.

thanks!

NappiRouts
09-11-2008, 03:15 AM
I have used Dr. Bronners on my loose hair and have found it to be okay. Thing is when I went for a consultation when I was first starting my locs, I was told that the stuff shouldn't be used because it causes build up. I can't think of what is in it that would cause that, but if anyone knows, please feel free to share. I would definatley dilute it, I did even back when I used it on my loose hair. What are the dilution ratios? Do the different scents they have do different things? Is there a certain look that locs with buildup have?

Akonga
09-11-2008, 09:31 AM
I use Luster's Pink . It smells nice and leaves your hair shiny and clean.

BornKinky
09-15-2008, 12:01 AM
There is a natural hair care set called LOVE by Ohm Body. It is an exclusive right now, so you have to email them to purchase the set, as it is not yet available online at their site. The shampoo is made with Irish Moss, Aloe Vera Jelly, and Flax Seed for extra softening and conditioning. The entire set also peppermint in it and it is scented with the essential oils of lavender, frankincense and mryhh.

The set includes shampoo, conditioner, and hair oil. You have to email them at goingohm@gmail.com. Say nappturality referred and i think they give an discount.

Crickett
09-15-2008, 03:36 PM
I use JML and Fantasia IC Shampoos. I do an ACV rinse afterwards and I have not had any build up problems or dry locs. Suave Clarifying Shampoo and VO5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying Shampoo is great also.

reciprocity81
09-22-2008, 06:45 PM
I absolutely LOVE Carol's Daughter Khoret Amen shampoo. It's very moisturizing and a little goes a long way with diluting (which I recommend) but I have to accept that my hair and scalp just don't like castille-based shampoos - it coats and I have to be sure to do an ACV rinse. I've known it for years (couldn't let go of that scent) but that's only the drawback for ME because it's great if your hair and scalp like castille-based shampoos. I hadn't found one that even came close to that amount of moisture UNTIL :D I tried a shampoo bar from Lush. I went to the store in Soho, NYC. They have stores all over though and you'd have to go the site to find a location near you. At any rate, I got the Godiva (which smells heavenly) and Trichomania. Due to it being a bar, I can wash MUCH faster versus spraying over my scalp and they last longer since they aren't liquids. One bar will last you a good 5-6 months so it's well worth the price. My friend got Soak n Float because it's for dandruff and she loves it - said that it took care of her dandruff. I won't be going back to liquid shampoos after this. Not only is Godiva extremely moisturizing, it's residue-free (rinses out a LOT easier) and my locs are left light and full of body - actually with more body than I've ever had. I also don't need conditioner afterwards.

[/b]

@ natural kinks- i picked up a godiva bar and although it smells really good, the little rice shaped bits got stuck in my hair. i'm not sure if this is because i'm not fully loc'd (2 months in ) or if that even matters. have you experienced this? if so what did you do about it?

Natural Kinks
09-23-2008, 09:18 PM
^I did not. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with them being babies but I wouldn't think so. You can try trichomania (sp?) if Godiva doesn't work due to the bits. I think that it will work just as well as it is very moisturizing too. Make sure that you always let the bar air out to dry and put it back in the container after it's dried.

Ariessyreeta1982
09-23-2008, 09:53 PM
I wash weekly and I rotate my products for wash/condition.

I use Suave Coconut
TJ Nourish
Dr. Bronner's Almond
Aphogee
KMS (not sure if I really like this one but since I bought it im going to use it)

Other than wash/condish, the only other thing that goes in my hair is Vitamin E oil.

brwndot
09-24-2008, 08:12 PM

[/b]

I have a shampoo bar from Oyin but I haven't used it in months. I have a hard time getting the shampoo through my hair since it's in bar form. Maybe the bar just doesn't make a lot of suds. Is there a way to liquefy a shampoo bar?

I tried a sample of Olive Oil shampoo from the body shop last week. Loooove the smell and it didn't strip my hair.

These suggestions are great!

Natural Kinks
09-24-2008, 11:35 PM
^The ones from Lush give plenty of suds. A suggestion with yours from Oyin is to rub the bar on your locs rather than on your hands first.

delleaux
09-25-2008, 12:23 AM
Honestly, I think all conditioners and shampoos leave some type of residue behind just how much is the key. I use Dr. Bronners for 3 years and about every 6mos I just switch up with another shampoo and it works for me. Then I go back to Dr. Bronners! I remember when Neutrogena came out with their shampoo to use between your old shampoo because of the residue. When I do use Bronner's I put some olive oil in it too just so it leaves my hair soft and moisturized. I wash about every 3 days and acv about a couple of months and it seem to do the trick. Once you know how your hair responds you act accordingly....! :-)DREAD PRIDE!!!!

Str8toFro
09-25-2008, 01:47 PM
I like the shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley. I like the low lather and I never feel dry. I use them from head to toe, she has face, body and shampoo bars. I rarely use conditioner and it has nothing to do with having dreads it's just that I never find a commercial conditioner that works for me. I have sided with coconut milk and that works. Sorry anyway um trail and error is all it is. If you get build up know that there is always a way to remove it and not to fret.