PDA

View Full Version : Protective Style Challenge

hervirtue
09-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Hey yall, I just bumped liberation's protective style challenge but I just noticed that it ends on Sep. 15th so I thought I'd start this one. I am so excited about protective styles right now because I finally have enough length for twists, I'm hoping by the end of the year my hair will be long enough for braids. I suffered last winter having to do a lot of co-washing every other day with my TWA so I'm glad I don't have to struggle with that this year. My routine will consist of washing my hair every week to two weeks and conditioning every week. So far I have not been able to wear the same set of twists for more than a week so I'm hoping I can figure out how to extend that to two-three weeks. I'm looking for ideas on achieving this so please respond if you have any suggestions. If you join please post your routine so that others may be able to get some ideas from you. :)

catrina2223
09-11-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm going to join on this one! Ive been doing this since August 15th and i wanted to end on the 31st of December so this is right up my alley! :)

My protective style is half cornrows and a phony puff.

My routine:
Once a week (or week and a half) i take out the cornrows and deep condition/co-wash. I use a cholesterol dc and garnier fructis co-wash. I then moisturize my damp hair with bb oil moisturizer and olive oil. once my hair is dry, i put in some cornrows on the top section.

Whenever i put on the phony puff, i spray my hair with water and moisturize. i take off the puff at night or when im home. I also wash the puff once a week.

By day 3 my braids are looking scruffy, so i have scarves or fabric that i tie around my braids until wash day!

madame_mila
09-11-2008, 07:03 PM
I've never joined a challenge. This will be my first

Sept 15- til Dec is great.

It's gonna be tough though.

Well.. what I plan to do is

wash with REVLON'S 2in1 Shampoo and Conditioner for Dry, Permed or color-treated hair (my hair is dry)

I'll wash once a week

then.. wear my hair in twists.. rope twists (which is the same as two strand twist ... I THINK)

then.. wear that for 2 weeks.

during that two week period.. i'll use a leave - in

(im still deciding which leave-in to use. The one I'm using now.. is sucky.. literally) **my hair sucks it up like a slurpee.

Once the two week period of twists is over... I'll wash it again with the same product. except .. at the end I use REVLON'S conditioner for dry, permed or color treated hair.

I want to grow my hair. It's shoulder length now... and I want it to grow past that.

I've never coloured or permed my hair. But.. I've treated it badly over the years. So, now.. eith the help of this site. I will strengthen my hair.

Late October/ Early November - to - Late February is winter here in Canada. So, this will be a good way to help my hair stay healthy during the cold times

I love you all.. and I appreciate all the help I've been given since I've joined this site. I really appreciate it

If there are any tips that I could use in my routine. Donne-moi! (Give me!) \

Thanks in advance...

MiLaaaa

iLoveBlu3
09-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Im in! I was planning on keeping my hair in twist for the rest of september. Since its gonna get colder i might as well just keep 'em going till december.

My plan is to wash my hair every two weeks, deep condition or hot oil afterwards, twist/flat twist/or cornrow my hair. The only time my hair would be out would be on the weekends after washing(for drying purposes). I hope it stays healthy. This is my first winter natural so im kinda nervous. If anyone has any tips, or suggestions please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it!

NOLA_Freebird
09-12-2008, 03:15 AM
I'm in...this one starts on my bday, and will be my 1st challenge ever. My plan is to dc w/ ORS replenishing pack 9/15, 10/15, 11/15 and 12/15 with weekly suave strawberries and cream cowashes. I'll moisturize weekly w/ jm&l cactus oil, and peppermint spritz daily. I've recently been obsessed w/ head wraps and scarves, so this will more than likely be my protective style of choice, w/ a few shrunken fros thrown in for good measure.

Only1biancab
09-12-2008, 03:56 AM
All hair boards are starting their new challenges on that day. Is there something significant about September 15th? It is the start of the week but is there another reason too?

hervirtue
09-12-2008, 01:10 PM
All hair boards are starting their new challenges on that day. Is there something significant about September 15th? It is the start of the week but is there another reason too?
[/b]

I didn't even notice that..pretty interesting! My only reason for that day was because liberation's PSC ended on the 15th.

mymy
09-12-2008, 01:43 PM
I'll join too.
My routine will be to wash and condition my hair with the twists still in, take them down individually and retwist using shealoe. I will do this every 7-10 days or so. I plan to deep condition (with the twists in) every 2-3 washes. I will sometimes co-wash my twists in between shampooings. I use either CON or Dr. Bronner's to wash my hair; Infusium 23 to condition and co-wash; and will deep condition with cholesterol. To moisturize I spritz my hair with a conditioner, oil, and water mixture as needed.

street froetry
09-12-2008, 02:05 PM
well i'll join this one & just keep up the protective styling :D

ETA: my routine is pretty simple... i wash once a week, do a scalp massage with peppermint & rosemary EOs then style

hervirtue
09-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Hey everyone, the challenge has officially started. Happy hair days :D ! I did my twists last night to wear through the week. I plan on doing a henna treatment this weekend and will put in some mini twists. I'm still looking to achieve my goal of being able to wear my hair twisted for at least two weeks before I take it down.

madame_mila
09-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Hey everyone, the challenge has officially started. Happy hair days :D ! I did my twists last night to wear through the week. I plan on doing a henna treatment this weekend and will put in some mini twists. I'm still looking to achieve my goal of being able to wear my hair twisted for at least two weeks before I take it down.
[/b]

I started Saturday. My hair is in single plats

their tiny... and neat

Little bit of a change from the usual twists that I do

So.. yep, the challenge begins!

Good Luck to everyone :D

catrina2223
09-16-2008, 02:49 PM
I had my hair in small twist since friday. My twist never seem to look good :P I usually pull hem into a ponytail and put my puff over them and a scarf around the front...so kind of like double protection ;)

I will take out the twist (maybe) on Friday. If not i will see if i can get 2 weeks out of them. I probably can. The only thing is my nape area will not hold twists/braids for nothing, so i have to redo them every now and then.

I will try to rinse them one day this week.

Good luck!!! :)

hervirtue
09-16-2008, 02:51 PM
I had my hair in small twist since friday. My twist never seem to look good :P I usually pull hem into a ponytail and put my puff over them and a scarf around the front...so kind of like double protection ;)

I will take out the twist (maybe) on Friday. If not i will see if i can get 2 weeks out of them. I probably can. The only thing is my nape area will not hold twists/braids for nothing, so i have to redo them every now and then.
I will try to rinse them one day this week.

Good luck!!! :)
[/b]

You too. I'm ALWAYS having to retwist the ones in my nape area :P

Puffalishous
09-16-2008, 03:13 PM
I am in !! I just put a nappy weave in on Saturday. I have my cornrowed my hair and bobby pinned the weave in. I am going to keep it in for a month. At that point, I will wash my hair and cornrow again and put it back in. I had planned on doing this for the next year as I just cut about 4 or 5 inches of hair off due to split ends in the middle of the strand. I vowed that I would not go through trying to grow my hair again and not take care of it. This time I will protect my hair as I grow it again.

catrina2223
09-16-2008, 03:17 PM
I am in !! I just put a nappy weave in on Saturday. I have my cornrowed my hair and bobby pinned the weave in. I am going to keep it in for a month. At that point, I will wash my hair and cornrow again and put it back in. I had planned on doing this for the next year as I just cut about 4 or 5 inches of hair off due to split ends in the middle of the strand. I vowed that I would not go through trying to grow my hair again and not take care of it. This time I will protect my hair as I grow it again.
[/b]

Got any pics of your nappy weave??!! :)

I want to get one but don't know what hair to use.

iLoveBlu3
09-16-2008, 03:41 PM
I had a bit of a setback before the challenge began. I was hoping to keep my minitwist that I did last tuesday in till the end of this week. But after washing them once my scalp still itched like crazy. I had to fight the lazy bug to style my hair last night. I did flat twist in the front and regular two strands in the back. This style will be in till friday or saturday.

Secrets
09-16-2008, 06:09 PM
I will join since I have done protective styles twice being napptural. My routine is to wash my napps twice a month, deep condition once a month and keep my twist in for a month.

catrina2223
09-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Well, i thought i could have gone maybe 2 weeks with these twists...but its not gonna happen!!

I'm going to wash my hair today after my hubby gets home from work and we go to the grocery store :)

I'll probably put a few cornrows in the front and my puff in the back.

hervirtue
09-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Well I made it a week, but it doesn't look like I'm gonna get two weeks out of my current style. I'm gonna henna (adding some fenugreek powder, I think henna really helps keep my dandruff at bay) my hair this weekend and will put in some mini-twists and then hopefully I can go for two weeks with having to redo my hair.

NapturalCollegeQueen
09-19-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm in.

Routine:

Wash, condish and add leave in while hair is in braids.

Let air dry and then style (either box braids, or twists)

After a few weeks or when my hair is dirty to the point I can't take it (whichever comes first) I'll repeat the above. Let's see how long I last. :)

Good luck.

street froetry
09-19-2008, 11:24 PM
:unsure: gracefully bowing out of this one... sorry yall I just can NOT keep up w/the protective styles... good luck to everyone else

lea23
09-20-2008, 09:27 AM
I am willing to give this a shot. I just braided my hair in individual braids (no extentions) and I am hoping this will help me at work and in the winter time.

good luck to everyone

catrina2223
09-21-2008, 01:54 AM
Well I made it a week, but it doesn't look like I'm gonna get two weeks out of my current style. I'm gonna henna (adding some fenugreek powder, I think henna really helps keep my dandruff at bay) my hair this weekend and will put in some mini-twists and then hopefully I can go for two weeks with having to redo my hair.
[/b]

Hey, what does the fenugreek do for your hair? Everytime i think of that herb i think of breastmilk :lol: It increases milk production so i took it for that a few times...but if i knew it was good for hair too i wouldnt have stopped :lol:

catrina2223
09-27-2008, 02:49 AM
How is everyone coming along???? :)

I deep conditioned today and flat twisted the top of my hair. I also bought a new phony pony (yay me :D )

I have a question though:
I am real tired of cornrowing the front of my hair. It takes long and my toddler just won't have it :lol: Flat twists are way easier for me and actually look much neater than my plaits, and stay fresh looking longer. I tie of my flat twists with small rubber bands that i tie loosely (like 4 loops). I'm scared that it may cause damage, which i definitely do not want.

Is there any way i can still have flat twists and not use rubber bands...and do u think if i tie the rubber bands loosely i can prevent any breakage??

iLoveBlu3
09-27-2008, 05:13 AM
^^when I do my flat twists I usually twist them all the way to the end. That helps them stay. I pin then up if i have the back out.

iLoveBlu3
09-27-2008, 05:31 AM
How is everyone coming along???? :)
[/b]

I put my hair back in twist on this past wednesday. It almost didnt happen cuz i also did my line sisters hair in twist and was tired of the motion. I ordered some products and they were en route so that was my motivation. I did my hair so that by the time they get delivered it will be time for a redo and I can put my oyin or qhemet goodies to use.

iLoveBlu3
09-28-2008, 08:06 PM
I just did another set of twist but this time I did them on wet hair. I think this will simplify this challenge for me. It was so much quicker and looks much neater. I am definitely going to keep these for over 10 days thats my goal. I looked up an old thread and decided to give wet twisting a try. I am so glad I did. Everyone says they last longer than dry twist. If I make it to my goal I am going to post it in that thread too.

hervirtue
10-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Just checking in to see how everyone is doing ;) My hair is finally long enough (about 3 1/2in.)...YEAH :P to do box braids so I'm gonna try and wear them only for the rest of this year. I'll wear a set of two weeks then wash and deep condition and re-do. Will probably just water rinse them once a week.

catrina2223
10-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Hey girl! After 3 months of doing the protective thing...ive got to bow out. I'm tired of my phony pony and i'm not really feelin the twists and box braids on me. I'm going back to my trusted wash?shake and go's!! I'm not sure if that qualifies as protective...but i usually get my most growth this way!

Good Luck ladies! I'll still be checking on all of your progress!

EmpressRi
10-08-2008, 09:39 PM
i do the same ish all fall and winter when it gets cold, wash, deep condish, twist and keep it moving. i hate washing my hair in the cold so twists work for me.

MzBNS2010
10-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Well, I jumped in this challenge about 3wks late on 10/2 but I am in it for the long run. I love these box braids on me and I plan on redoing them row by row every 2-3wks. I am starting this challenge with 8". Let's see how far I grow! :)

hervirtue
10-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Mrs. B, girl your hair is grow so freakin fast :wub: . What's your routine?

BTW..I didn't realize you're in Tally. I'm from Marianna...I miss da South :(

MzBNS2010
10-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Mrs. B, girl your hair is grow so freakin fast :wub: . What's your routine?

BTW..I didn't realize you're in Tally. I'm from Marianna...I miss da South :(
[/b]

u really think so? I don't know why so many ppl say that! :lol: I wish it would grow faster. It hasn't even been growing the "average" 0.5" per month. Almost tho. I retained about 5" in a yr. I have this thing with healthy ends. If they feel crisp to me, * snip snip!* :D so I've probably cut more than I should. Anyway, my ROUTINE is *drum roll* .................................................. .......................................
.................................................. .................................................. .......................
.................................................. ......................
.................................................. .................................................. .....................
.................................................. .................................................. .........................

NOTHING ^_^ It is not consistent at all! however I do my hair for the day or week, depends on the mood I'm in. This summer, I wore it out more than I should have. If I have tests coming up, I put it in twists or individual braids b/c I know I won't have time to mess with it. I wash my hair whenever it gets dirty which is every 2-3wks (it depends on if I have in a protective style) I can't do cowashes b/c I don't have time to let it air dry during the week or wash and go's b/c of the tangles. I have to wash with about 16 braids in my hair. I have to put in this many b/c it will unravel otherwise. I always make sure it is detangled b4 putting in the braids and then I let it air dry in braids after washing to keep it detangled. I rarely use combs; using my fingers saves me a lot of hair. Anytime I feel a knot at the end of a strand, I cut it instead of ripping it out. Most importantly, I try to go for styles that can last me at least a week of not doing my hair. Otherwise, I would probably not have as much hair and would probably flunk and get kicked out of pharmacy school from lack of studying :lol:

I do not do growth aids b/c I am not consistent (obviously). I try my best to take my vitamins BUT I never seem to be around them when I am eating so I forget. lol

oh yeah! I try to use all natural products now. And yes, I am in Tally getting my pharmD degree on :D

mymy
10-09-2008, 07:05 PM
My hair has been in twists since I joined this challenge, and I'm happy with it. I am going to put in another set either tomorrow or this weekend. When I do I will be deep conditioning because I haven't done it in about a month. Time to get back on track.

lw_sweets5
10-10-2008, 05:11 AM
I'm a lil late but I'm in I plan to get a sew in again.
If i don't get the sew-in i will be wearing twist outs :)
Good luck ladies :D

missnso
10-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Im joining Heres what Im going to do

I do small two strand twist with flat twist in the front

After two weeks ill take the front two rows down as well as the flat twist in the front out....

NOLA_Freebird
10-10-2008, 04:13 PM
This is my 1st time updating since the challenge started, but so far, so good. I've been sticking to my regimen (which is an accomplishment for me). I've also been focusing on my edges, being sure to massage them with peppermint oiil to stimulate the growth.

2nappy
10-11-2008, 12:53 PM
wow, i just took out my two strand twist, they had been in since aug 18th....i was going to get a weave but i did not know if this was considered a protective hairstyle. does it have to be a nnappy weave or can i use a curly texture? my intent is just to protect my hair this winter. i would like to join the challenge if i still can.

monappy28
10-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Since it's cooling off, my protective routine is back on! I wash, deep condition and twist with some heavenly products! All winter long, that's how I do!

Natrlchallenge
10-11-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm going to join this challenge. Currently my twist skills suck, but it won't stop me from rocking busted twists. :blush I hide my hair under a wrap any how so only I know what they look like. I am getting better, but I can currently on do my right side very good flat twists. I'm transitioning so the twists aren't holding well. I plan on BCing in December.

Praise Hymn
10-13-2008, 03:34 AM
Hello ladies!

I would like to go ahead and join the festivities... I've had my hair braided up since the 20th of August. Micros in the back, and my natural hair in cornrows in the front. I did this so I could change the front every two weeks. It was my intention to eventually braid the front into micros too, but I like the fact that I can take the cornrows out, wash the front, braid it up again, and boom, my whole style is fresh and different.

Last night, I washed/deep conditioned the front, and also rinsed the micros in the back. I then let it all air-dry, and pinned the micros up in a french roll, while rebraiding the front in some design braids. Everyone has been asking me about my hair all day in church... I told them, "same weave... just changed the front."

This style has been a life saver since I found out I was pregnant. I don't have morning sickness (thank God), but I've been exhausted for the past three months. I'm almost five months now, and don't have to sit and do my hair except for twice an month. I'm finally getting some energy, so I don't mind washing and braiding the front.

I do miss my big fro though... and twists... and being able to play in my hair all day... don't miss having to braid it up every night... This style may become a staple after I have the baby in March... I know time will be very important with a newborn...

Anywho, sorry for all the randomness... haha... please do add me on the challenge! December will be here before you know it!!!!!

Monqiue
10-13-2008, 01:37 PM
I am doing this challenge. Last night I put in some box braids with my own hair (a first for me). I hope to keep this set in at least for six weeks. But it depends on how they look.

ckisland
10-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Hey can I join *waves*!!! I know I'm about a month late, but I'm ready to go now :lol: .

So my hair is in a fresh set of twists with braided roots. I plan to keep these in for at least 2 weeks (maybe even 3). I'm going to rinse every other day, and cowash once a week. Once they start getting too busted, I'll shampoo, detangle, condition, and retwist. This is going to be my plan until the end of winter (with my hair loose when I go home for Christmas). I have never done protective styles for more than 10 days, If my hair grows like it should, then I can add buns to my regime. Either way the plan is to protective style for 4-5 months.

Wish me luck, 'cause I'm really going to need it. :blush:

ckisland
10-16-2008, 11:39 PM
I realized that I didn't do any starting measurements. . .

Front: .5 in from top lip
Back: collarbone
Sides: 1-1.5 in from shoulder
Crown: eyes

I haven't taken exact measurements since August. I think I might do it again on my Nappiversary, but I don't really care about numbers anymore :lol: . I'm going to update once a month.

iLoveBlu3
11-13-2008, 12:07 PM
How is the challenge going for everyone? I just put in my second set of box braids. Im mad I didn't find this style sooner. I will most likely redo them twice before the challenge is over to finish out. Then keep them for the rest of the winter, unless I get braid extensions.

hervirtue
11-13-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm in box braids. I did an oil rinse last night (yall missing out if your sleeping on this technique btw :P ), sealed my ends with JBCO and put some rollers in my hair. First time wearing braids with curls, so far me likey :) .

iLoveBlu3
01-01-2009, 12:02 AM
How did everyone make out? I stayed true to my reg and goals. I also joined the longterm protective style challenge so I will be in protective styles for the long run.

Praise Hymn
01-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Hoping that we all made it through the end of December!

I've been braided up since August, and finally I've started to take my braids down. I plan to continue on with a protective style challenge, since it is finally getting cold in SC... My growth is awesome, and I can't wait to feel the softness of my hair after my wash and deep condition.

Is there another challenge on the board? I don't remember joining a longer one...

iLoveBlu3
01-02-2009, 03:24 AM
There is the long term protective style challenge...

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127653