PDA

View Full Version : So Is A Blow Driyer Safe?

reesespep
09-12-2008, 03:02 PM
hello nappy ladies and gents!!! i hope all is well today!!!!
i was just wondering i still have a twa and refuse to use any kind of heat on my hair what so ever b/c i am so in love with the few defined coils that i have on my head that i they disappeared i would BC again...lol but thats besides the point...when my hair gets longer...i dont want damp hair cause even with my twa my hair take a while to dry... so i was thinking of investing in a blow dryer that had a built in cool setting and not just the one with a button on it that you have to push when you want a cool blast of air...do they make those?....is blowdrying hair on a cool setting safe for my precious coilies?

meraki
09-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Well...I anticipate a quick lock on this thread.

Some people will say "yes" and some people will say "no." Do a search for "bonnet dryers" or "dryers" and you will see conflicting views about whether or not any heat at all is 'safe' for our hair. The official stance is "no," because a dryer is a heat tool.

My solution = wear the towel on your head longer. Some people use a microfiber towel that wicks moisture more quickly than a cotton towel.

reesespep
09-12-2008, 03:12 PM
hmmm i was thinking that it might get closed as well b/c but i was thinking maybe not b/c blow dryers do have that cool blast thing...and if there were som,e nlow dryere that had a cool setting i could use that b/c heat would most def. be out for me...the reason i am wondering about the cool setting blow dryer is that it's faster than a bonnet dryer... but the bonnet dryer thing is a good idea just in case i wanna do roller sets or something ...i dont think i'll need the bonnet dryer for straw sets...

oh and the microfiber towel idea is a good idea as well(hope it's not too expensive...lol)

meraki
09-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Really, with a TWA... just wear the towel on there for longer. Seriously. It's the cheapest option. Granted, my hair dries quickly, but I haven't heat-dried my hair in years and years, and my hair is on the longer side of naturals (not "long," mind you).

mzpoetic
09-12-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't think talk of the blow dryer is acceptable on NP. If you must use it, I would say use the cool setting and use a diffuser. Overhead dryer is better in my opinion, but that's debatable as well. Check the flaming hot tool of hair torture and blow dryer archive.