PDA

View Full Version : Bellydancing for fitness..

Moxie574
04-07-2003, 06:10 AM
I was just wondering if anyone here has tried Bellydancing for fitness? I picked up a couple of tapes "Basic Moves" by Veena & Neena and a few of their other tapes...so far I can only complete the Basic Moves tape but I noticed toneing in my arms not long after I began doing the routine. Just wondering if anyone had any to recommend. My goal is to attend an actual class and not make a fool of myself.

CrazeeDCoil
04-07-2003, 11:56 AM
I haven't had any tapes or classes. I only belly danced once at a restaurant, following the moves of the professional. I did quite well actually, the owners were like... You want an application? Lol. anyway... i can definately see all of the benefits. It gets to be hard work... I'm surprised at how long these dancers can keep going and go from table to table and even talk while doing it for like 30 minutes at a time. It's lots of fun. I had been wondering about Veena and Neena's tapes. So you like them? Do you feel it will sculpt a desirable shape?

Moxie574
04-07-2003, 02:57 PM
Yeah the Neena & Veena tapes are really nice...very low impact (since you do em barefoot and all) and alot of tape I use most is also pretty easy to follow. I picked up one a few months ago called The Goddess Workout and it was alot to aspire for....really the camera was focusing on her face or belly when you really needed to see her feet..

LaKinkyFemme
04-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Yeah the Neena & Veena tapes are really nice...very low impact (since you do em barefoot and all) and alot of tape I use most is also pretty easy to follow. I picked up one a few months ago called The Goddess Workout and it was alot to aspire for....really the camera was focusing on her face or belly when you really needed to see her feet..

I have the Neena and Veena beginning belling dancing tape but I've done it like twice. Do you do it regularly? Did it make a difference in your abdomen or legs?

LaKinkyFemme

Moxie574
04-07-2003, 07:24 PM
Yeah I have found a little more defination to my abs and alot more to my waist and hips ...I have been doing them for a few months but only 2 times a week I workout with my Yoga for Round bodies the other days to increase my flexability...Im trying and do a varity so I don't get bored

lilkinkyc
04-08-2003, 01:56 AM
I have seen these tapes in the store and was wondering about them myself.

MuthaErth
04-08-2003, 02:54 AM
i took a belly dancing class for fun and i really enjoyed and and so did my husband :oops:
i mean it works out more than the abs and it made me feel kinda sexy :)

CocoDiva
04-08-2003, 05:21 AM
I happened upon a Belly dance class during a BORING stay in Canana. I took the class or 6 months. It was really good exercise. And surprisingly, half of the women in the class were there at the reccomendation of their doctors to help with back problems. The exercises are a low impact way to tone up and improve posture and back muscles. I'd never heard of Belly dance as back therapy before.
I also noticed that the dance was very good at toning arms and thighs, but I didn't notice as big a change in my stomach area.

After 6 months I was pretty good at every move but the fast "hip shimmy" moves, but that was years ago. I've been looking for a class locally, but I can't find one. Where did you buy the tapes? How much did it cost?

marissasensei
04-08-2003, 10:04 AM
Hmmm, now y'all got me interested in these tapes.

I've seen some bellydancing tapes at www.overstock.com.

Moxie574
04-08-2003, 11:40 AM
Hmm.. I picked mine up on Half.com for 10 - 12 dollars but I think the prices from overstock are actually better than Half.com

Tasha806
04-08-2003, 09:10 PM
I have the Belly Dance Slim Down tape with Veena & Neena too. I found it at Target around X-mas time last year for $6.99. I don't use it as often as I should, but I do enjoy it. On a good week i'll use it 3 times. The only thing about it that I don't like is that I cannot do it barefoot, it causes me too much pain in my knees & ankles. So I started wearing shoes and socks when I do and it and now I don't have any problems with it. Overall it's a really good workout and it's fun to do! It was also rated best video by Fitness magazine.

blumoonbabe
04-09-2003, 06:21 AM
Dag I wanna jump on the wagon too.

silvi
04-12-2003, 05:33 AM
I have wanted to try belly dancing but have been afraid to due to knee and back problems. Does it put a lot of stress on the knees? I am tempted to get the beginning tapes and give it a try 8)

zulumama
04-12-2003, 06:08 PM
I live 4 blocks from a very good Bellydancing studio,and I can tell you..I went to my first class,and it was the HARDEST workout I have ever had!!!!! She had us doing serious sit ups,push ups etc. I intend to try a different class,because I didn't find it fun,it was a lot of warm up and very little dance,which I found dissapointing for a level 1 class.

mishimee
04-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Belly dancing sounds very interesting. I really need to start exercising. I wonder if the video's are a good start for someone is overweight and hasn't exercised in a long time.

Moxie574
04-12-2003, 10:34 PM
Well I am overweight and I picked up the tapes because I wanted something fun that would help me get in shape...well get in shape enough to begin a more aerobic workout routine. The tape I started with Bellydance Fitness fore beginners (Basic Moves) helped me with that...or its in the process of helping me with that. I have never been to an actual class but the tapes are really basic and gentle. I can't speak for the other ladies but they tape I started with and the other in the series I have tried didn't bother my knees or seem like they put strain on them (there are lots of upper body exercises so you could just omit anything at irritated your knees). I have alot of workout tapes for plus sized individuals and honestly these seem to be the most gain with the least pain..in my opinion that is

Tasha806
04-13-2003, 04:28 PM
I have wanted to try belly dancing but have been afraid to due to knee and back problems. Does it put a lot of stress on the knees? I am tempted to get the beginning tapes and give it a try 8)

hey silvi! I found that it does if you do it barefoot like they do on the tape.
I have to put shoes and socks on to do it and so far no stress on my knees doing it this way.
HTH

Dreamyb
05-22-2007, 12:08 PM
i just found this site and wanted to share

it looks fun

BOCA (http://www.bellydancersofcolor.com/)

gertgert07
09-10-2008, 02:37 PM
me and another girl are going to start bellydancing on Tuesdays at 8 pm with "Shimmy", a show on Fit TV. I think it will be pretty cool. One thing tho...does toning hips mean I'll lose thickness in the booty area?

JaDazzle
09-14-2008, 05:40 PM
During the summer I started watching a show twice a day on FitTV called Shimmy. It's really good, and a lot of the moves were hard for me at first but now I'm really good the more I practice, and it definitely works the belly and arms and hips and legs. And it's really fun!

nrages
09-16-2008, 08:36 PM
me and another girl are going to start bellydancing on Tuesdays at 8 pm with "Shimmy", a show on Fit TV. I think it will be pretty cool. One thing tho...does toning hips mean I'll lose thickness in the booty area?
[/b]

hmmmm, don't know... but, most likely you will love the results!

One of the first things I noticed is that belly dancing helped to define my waist.

I :wub: belly dancing!!!

Neriah
09-18-2008, 01:11 AM
I think it is nice to but the problem with videos is if you do not have the correct posture which is hard tot ell from dvds even when they are telling you . You can have injury and soreness. Please be careful.

nayaboo28
09-18-2008, 04:11 AM
I have been doing bellydancing as part of my aerobic plan for years. I am a thick woman but I was real big at one point and I had lost my curves. So I started doing belly dancing and it helped shed off my weight and it toned my body. My calves were sculpted and my stomach went down. Bellydancing if done correctly can work you out. There is this video called Ultimate Belly Dancing. It is awesome! Trust me you will shimmy your pounds away. I had rented this video off my blockbuster account (the online rental and exchange program) and I kept it for over a month. I returned it. I am going to buy it now. :lol:

LBellatrix
09-19-2008, 02:03 AM
I've now taken two (out of 8) "Arabic dance level 1" classes.

I continue to be walking talking proof that not all black folks have rhythm. :lol: But I'ma get it...just give me time...

It's pretty low-impact so I don't feel I'm getting a huge workout but given that I'm currently doing about 50 minutes of cardio 6 days a week I think I can use this as my "rest" day.

Jess82
09-20-2008, 06:50 PM
I ordered "Discover Bellydance: Basic Dance" by Neena and Veena :) I can't wait to receive it. I will also attend the belly dance classes at my gym but I want the DVD to practice at home first...

assia
10-01-2008, 05:02 AM
I'm going to try bellydancing 4 times a week. I have Luscious: The Belly Dance Workout. I've used it about 3 or 4 times in the past but left it alone due to having other better ingaging dvd's. I don't have that much floor space now so i'll pick it up again.

I'll try for 30 min 4 times a week to start.

jorjeni
10-06-2008, 12:32 AM
I've now taken two (out of 8) "Arabic dance level 1" classes.

I continue to be walking talking proof that not all black folks have rhythm. :lol: But I'ma get it...just give me time...

It's pretty low-impact so I don't feel I'm getting a huge workout but given that I'm currently doing about 50 minutes of cardio 6 days a week I think I can use this as my "rest" day.
[/b]

I don't think rhythem has anything to do with it LOL!!! I took ballet, jazz and pointe for 10 yrs. I love to dance!!! I thought I could swing my hips with the best of them but when I tried bellydancing classes last year. While I LOVED EVERY MINUTE of the class I felt like I had somebody elses body. I was like I know my body can move better then this :lol: I could do nothing but laugh but I loved it!!!

Knsoroma
10-08-2008, 03:21 PM
I have been taking beginning bellydance 1/week for about a month. I don't think I have a good instructor. She keeps trying to make us do coreography when we don't have the basics down. It's kinda frustrating. Do you know of a good beginners bellydance dvd?

RunsWithScissors
10-08-2008, 03:34 PM
I have been taking beginning bellydance 1/week for about a month. I don't think I have a good instructor. She keeps trying to make us do coreography when we don't have the basics down. It's kinda frustrating. Do you know of a good beginners bellydance dvd?
[/b]

I don't know if any of the ones I have are good or not...I really couldn't get into them. But I'll PM you with my phone number and you are welcome to borrow them if you want to.

Also have you seen Shimmy on FitTv? They seem to break the moves down for beginners. Again, I'm not an expert, so I don't know if this is a good quality program either.

BTW, where are you taking your classes?

Knsoroma
10-08-2008, 10:37 PM
I don't know if any of the ones I have are good or not...I really couldn't get into them. But I'll PM you with my phone number and you are welcome to borrow them if you want to.

Also have you seen Shimmy on FitTv? They seem to break the moves down for beginners. Again, I'm not an expert, so I don't know if this is a good quality program either.

BTW, where are you taking your classes?
[/b]

Hey Dezi, thanks a lot. I'll call you. I am taking my classes at Vandy. The teacher knows what she is doing but just doesn't know how to convey it to us in a way we understand.

msdimpled1
10-14-2008, 11:07 PM
I would love to take a class but currently my gym does not offer it..

Chroma75
10-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Do the DVD's have you jumping around? Just wondering... I live on the 3rd floor.

LuvJones
11-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Going to take some bellydance and striptease classes to help with the stress of school. :P

I'm so excited!

Ebonique
11-17-2008, 01:29 AM
I might try to order the neena & veena videos