PDA

View Full Version : African And Indian Descent

curlyhead07
11-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Based on this forum and what I heard..many black people seem to be mixed with Indian/native American/Asian (the catergory in which theyre held)... Even my father (whose from Haiti) is half black (his fathers side) and half white and indian (his mother, who is half white and indian)..but why do I keep hearing this thing about how apparently theyre racist???? Wth??? Why if theyre so racist would they even concieve with a black person??? Since we seem to have so many blacks mixed with Indian/native? I hope this "Racist factor" isnt true. what do you guys think?

nappyroots89
11-09-2008, 07:11 PM
To be for real, I dont think its as common as people (of African descent) make it seem. Its just like the "in" thing to be mixed with indian. Especially when we got people looking tens of generations back specifically for Indian just to be able to say I have (.00000000000000025) Indian in me etc. No offense. Not to say youre one of them, I mean your dads half white/indian so I guess thats 50% african 50% white/indian (so thats 25% indian). Making you 75% black, 12.5% white and 12.5% "Indian" I guess thats relevant enough to claim. Thats just my two cents. As for this so called "racist factor", I dont know about that. Because some Indians did help free the blacks during the times of slavery. So :unsure: ?

bajanempress
11-09-2008, 08:04 PM
In the Caribbean it varies from island to island but in some islands it is common. In islands such as Trinidad and Jamaica there has been a great deal of intermingling of people of African, White, Chinese and East Indian descent.

In Barbados we tend to be a lot less mixed than other islands. And even in islands that there is a lot of interracial mixing, there are racial tensions.

Does that answer your question in any way?

curlyhead07
11-09-2008, 08:14 PM
In the Caribbean it varies from island to island but in some islands it is common. In islands such as Trinidad and Jamaica there has been a great deal of intermingling of people of African, White, Chinese and East Indian descent.

In Barbados we tend to be a lot less mixed than other islands.
Does that answer your question in any way?
[/b]
Kinda..not really..I just wanted to know why, if Indians are so racist, are theyre so many people of african descent mixed with Indian? And do you know anything about people of Indian descent in Haiti? I know my Haitian born grandmother is half, (and she's not racist obviously) but is this common?. As for what Nappyroots said about it being the "in" thing to be, I kinda see where youre coming from but we cant just assume that everyone who says it is lying...

Soulsearch72
11-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Based on this forum and what I heard..many black people seem to be mixed with Indian/native American/Asian (the catergory in which theyre held)... Even my father (whose from Haiti) is half black (his fathers side) and half white and indian (his mother, who is half white and indian)..but why do I keep hearing this thing about how apparently theyre racist???? Wth??? Why if theyre so racist would they even concieve with a black person??? Since we seem to have so many blacks mixed with Indian/native? I hope this "Racist factor" isnt true. what do you guys think?
[/b]

There are racist people in EVERY ethnicity!!! If I'm not mistaken, there were indian slaves, too. So they were all in the same boat. Also, just like now, there were people who were not caught up in color. Oh yeah, and don't forget about the people that were raped. You just have to really look at your sources. When it come down to it, it's what YOU want to believe to be true.

Hadasah
11-10-2008, 01:04 AM
Are you asking why people say Native Americans are racist, or why Indians are racist?
IA with soulsearch.

curlyhead07
11-10-2008, 01:43 AM
Are you asking why people say Native Americans are racist, or why Indians are racist?
IA with soulsearch.
[/b]
Both, why do alot of the ladies on this forum state that native Americans are racist when there seems to be so many blacks mixed with indian. And if theyre so racist why do they keep concieving with us???

Hadasah
11-10-2008, 01:58 AM
As far as I understand, most black people's connection with Native Americans go a few generations back- that's why you hear, "My great-great-grandma was Cherokee, my great grandma was Blackfoot", etc. That was a few generation ago, not now, so they don't keep concieving with us, at least not on a general level. I'm not very informative about the goings-on around me but I rarely hear about any present day relationships between blacks and Native Americans.
One of the major events to have people think that Native Americans don't like blacks is the expelling of blacks from their tribes; even though a black person may have NA blood, s/he will not be recognized as part of that group, even though whites can be recognized.
ETA: I can't say anything about Indians, though, cuz I'm not familiar with West Indian culture or history.

sunnysmile751
11-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Well at least here in Arizona, I've been surprised with all the Black-Indian mixes I see. (It's not that unfamiliar on the east coast).

I've seen Black/O'odham, Black/Apache, Black/Navajo. Radmilla Cody is Black and Navajo and was voted Miss Navajo, which is a Navajo nation cultural pageant. Yes there were some grumblings but in Navajo culture she is Navajo since she inherits a clan from her mother.

I've even gone to First Mesa, which is a really remote historical mesa where Hopi people still live and there was a Hopi grandmother taking care of her grandchildren two of which were Black.

In the Caribbean, well having Caribs mixed with Black is not unusual and they have never kicked any one out. I'm Carib and Black and it's not uncommon on my mom's island. Caribs took in Blacks to help fight the Europeans so their history goes a while back.

The point is some Indians are racist and some are not just like in any other race.

Hadasah
11-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Oh... well, I stand corrected.
(In my defense, I was speaking out of speculation. :P)

But then you have articles like these (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6416735.stm) that have people on here, at least, saying that Native Americans don't like us.

sunnysmile751
11-10-2008, 04:33 PM
While I'm for the Cherokee Freedman, to the Cherokee Nation's credit they have not kicked out every member with Black blood. They're only kicking out the descendants of those who were not listed with any Cherokee blood on a particular roll (The Dawes Roll.)

As long as you have ONE Cherokee ancestor on the Dawes Roll, even if that ancestor was a descendant of some full blood from the 1700s, you are considered Cherokee no matter how you look and are eligible to enroll.

Where the Freedmen lucked out is that either their Cherokee ancestor was not recorded, or they don't have one at all. In some cases even siblings were given different status. It's something that the Cherokee nation could totally take the time out and fix the mess but they won't. Especially since the Freedmen largely voted against the Cherokee nation's current administration.

Interestingly the Keetoowah Cherokee Nation, another smaller group of Cherokee who have a higher blood quantum have spoken out in support of the Freedmen.

It's the same way that people say all whites/blacks/asians/mexicans etc are racist. And yeah as a group they may have done things that are racist but you have the other side of the coin.

fabuloushair
11-12-2008, 03:33 AM
To be for real, I dont think its as common as people (of African descent) make it seem. Its just like the "in" thing to be mixed with indian. Especially when we got people looking tens of generations back specifically for Indian just to be able to say I have (.00000000000000025) Indian in me etc. No offense. Not to say youre one of them, I mean your dads half white/indian so I guess thats 50% african 50% white/indian (so thats 25% indian). Making you 75% black, 12.5% white and 12.5% "Indian" I guess thats relevant enough to claim. Thats just my two cents. As for this so called "racist factor", I dont know about that. Because some Indians did help free the blacks during the times of slavery. So :unsure: ?
[/b]

I gotta disagree with you sis. I am studying this now and it is EXTREMELY prevalent. Many blacks claim the whole "I got Indian in my family" because they have probably heard it from a grandparent or great grandparent but can't exactly trace it.

African-Americans ARE for the most part a mixture of African, Native American, and European blood. The same way that hispanics are a mixture of, you guessed it.. African, Native American, and European blood.

The Seminole tribe actually gets its name from the word "cimarron" which the word "maroon" also came from. As many of us know, maroons were former slaves who ran away to form their own communities. Africans fleeing to Spanish Florida joined with the Creek Nation to form the Seminoles. In a class of mine, we viewed numerous slides of Seminoles and other Native American groups that were mixtures of African and Amer-Indian groups. I mean, these photos looked like STRAIGHT UP Africans, dressed in the moccasins, feathered headresses, etc. that we normally associate with Native American culture. Hollywood likes to portray this in a different way..

A large number of the Seminoles left Florida and headed west toward Mexico and Oklahoma, later giving birth to the Cherokee Nation. Again, these were AFRICANS.

It is important to do the research on this because it is, quite actually, a very interesting story.

fabuloushair
11-12-2008, 03:45 AM
Both, why do alot of the ladies on this forum state that native Americans are racist when there seems to be so many blacks mixed with indian. And if theyre so racist why do they keep concieving with us???
[/b]

Many of us are mixed with Native American because of slavery and maroonage. I don't think that it is so much as that they are racist, but you have to understand that when you have a powerful majority (in the case of the United States, whites) who have oppressed a certain ethnic group (those of African descent), you are going to have people who try with all their might to disassociate themselves with the oppressed group. This is no different from lightskinned blacks who tried to "pass" as white in order to survive, or some hispanic cultures who refuse to claim African ancestry, when in reality they are JUST as African as we (African-Americans) are! For example, in the Dominican Republic, you had a dictator, Trajero, who for about 30 years tried to rid the island of its African culture when he, himself was Afro-Haitian.

Now that Native Americans have been more isolated both geographically as far as being on reservations and culturally after slavery was abolished (no longer "intermingling" frequently with those of pure African descent), the image of Native Americans today is not necessarily the same one that was prevalent during the antebellum period.

Hope this helps a bit.

nappyroots89
11-12-2008, 04:20 AM
I gotta disagree with you sis. I am studying this now and it is EXTREMELY prevalent. Many blacks claim the whole "I got Indian in my family" because they have probably heard it from a grandparent or great grandparent but can't exactly trace it.

African-Americans ARE for the most part a mixture of African, Native American, and European blood. The same way that hispanics are a mixture of, you guessed it.. African, Native American, and European blood.

The Seminole tribe actually gets its name from the word "cimarron" which the word "maroon" also came from. As many of us know, maroons were former slaves who ran away to form their own communities. Africans fleeing to Spanish Florida joined with the Creek Nation to form the Seminoles. In a class of mine, we viewed numerous slides of Seminoles and other Native American groups that were mixtures of African and Amer-Indian groups. I mean, these photos looked like STRAIGHT UP Africans, dressed in the moccasins, feathered headresses, etc. that we normally associate with Native American culture. Hollywood likes to portray this in a different way..

A large number of the Seminoles left Florida and headed west toward Mexico and Oklahoma, later giving birth to the Cherokee Nation. Again, these were AFRICANS.

It is important to do the research on this because it is, quite actually, a very interesting story.
[/b]

I'm not saying that they arent but those who search for that irrelevant .0000000000000000000000025% of european/native blood just to claim "oh I got that Indian/german etc. in my family"..is kinda lame..I mean youre 99.999999% black, stop searching so far back to find some "non-blackness"..now I respect those who simply just want to know where they come from and learn about the past culture that runs through their blood (AFRICAN INCLUDED,european and indian)..but just claiming some micro decimal percentage that you arent even sure about just for bragging rights is kinda stupid.

Salafi2debone
11-12-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm not saying that they arent but those who search for that irrelevant .0000000000000000000000025% of european/native blood just to claim "oh I got that Indian/german etc. in my family"..is kinda lame..I mean youre 99.999999% black, stop searching so far back to find some "non-blackness"..now I respect those who simply just want to know where they come from and learn about the past culture that runs through their blood (AFRICAN INCLUDED,european and indian)..but just claiming some micro decimal percentage that you arent even sure about just for bragging rights is kinda stupid.
[/b]

As sad as it is, I could not stop laughing at that percentage of non African blood above..oh man lol. Lame yes it is. But I saw on that PBS special Africans in America (or something like that maybe someone can provide the real name or I will later), when the guy did the 'lineage testing' with Don Cheadle they said that the amount of Native American blood in African Americans today is NOT as high as most of us think. They even had a Native American historical expert that said that yes it happened (back in the day), but not as much as people seem to think / claim. Of course some will begin to argue, "well he's a Native and he's racist and he wants to seperate himself and his people from African Americans". Well I dunno...nor do I care that much. But another point that was mentioned that the 'proofs' of our Native American ancestry in most cases being great, great grandparents (or pictures of) with long noses, high cheekbones and straight black hair...ummm yeah straight up from *you guessed it* massa's seeds.

It was also mentioned that maybe this whole thing (seemingly a myth) about so many of us being mixed with Native American blood, came from the fact that some of our forefathers/mothers DID have straight hair, DID have straight noses, DID have lighter skin. And it was either claim the massa that raped your mother or claim the Native Americans that look somewhat like a mix of you and the massa.

And come on, its 2008 are we still claiming that a WHOLE GROUP of people can be racists? As a whole Caucasian / European people are the most racist race yet there are plently of "black & white" mixed people all over the Earth.

Lastly, the "Indians" that you speak of in the Caribbean..are you talking about the Natives or people of East Indian descent?? Those are two different groups of people.

curlyhead07
11-12-2008, 01:52 PM
As sad as it is, I could not stop laughing at that percentage of non African blood above..oh man lol. Lame yes it is. But I saw on that PBS special Africans in America (or something like that maybe someone can provide the real name or I will later), when the guy did the 'lineage testing' with Don Cheadle they said that the amount of Native American blood in African Americans today is NOT as high as most of us think. They even had a Native American historical expert that said that yes it happened (back in the day), but not as much as people seem to think / claim. Of course some will begin to argue, "well he's a Native and he's racist and he wants to seperate himself and his people from African Americans". Well I dunno...nor do I care that much. But another point that was mentioned that the 'proofs' of our Native American ancestry in most cases being great, great grandparents (or pictures of) with long noses, high cheekbones and straight black hair...ummm yeah straight up from *you guessed it* massa's seeds.

It was also mentioned that maybe this whole thing (seemingly a myth) about so many of us being mixed with Native American blood, came from the fact that some of our forefathers/mothers DID have straight hair, DID have straight noses, DID have lighter skin. And it was either claim the massa that raped your mother or claim the Native Americans that look somewhat like a mix of you and the massa.

And come on, its 2008 are we still claiming that a WHOLE GROUP of people can be racists? As a whole Caucasian / European people are the most racist race yet there are plently of "black & white" mixed people all over the Earth.

Lastly, the "Indians" that you speak of in the Caribbean..are you talking about the Natives or people of East Indian descent?? Those are two different groups of people.
[/b]

I'm just talking about people of Asian descent period(that includes all asians,and indians that range from india, to all over the middle east and east,native americans, arabs (which I belive may be grouped in this category) etc.) , that have moved and settled in the caribbean

Salafi2debone
11-12-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm just talking about people of Asian descent period(that includes all asians,and indians that range from india, to all over the middle east and east,native americans, arabs (which I belive may be grouped in this category) etc.) , that have moved and settled in the caribbean
[/b]

Here is that program I mentioned earlier. I believe that Don Cheadle's segment is when they spoke about Native Americans...I could be mistaken (the page before this link has the option to check out other ppls segments).

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/aalives/profiles/cheadle.html

well in the case of East Indians, that is really another issue. Because I hate to be generalized / grouped/ stereotyped therefore I try to refrain from doing the same..I'll just say in regards to East Indians (Desi's period), they have a long way to go in regards to race relations and colorism.

~Brandace

Lilmisssmartypants
11-14-2008, 04:53 PM
[/b]

I live near the shinnecock reservation in the hamptons. They are all mixed with Black! No one is pure. It seems like once black people found out they're mixed with shinnecock, they move from the south to the reservations for the benefits. Tax exemption!

I did not do the blood test. My mom thinks it is unlikely but I know for sure I have Italian ancestors. My great great mother was half Italian.
If I found out I did have native American heritage, the first thing I would do is apply to the most expensive University and go there for free!

sunnysmile751
11-14-2008, 05:39 PM
I live near the shinnecock reservation in the hamptons. They are all mixed with Black! No one is pure. It seems like once black people found out they're mixed with shinnecock, they move from the south to the reservations for the benefits. Tax exemption!
[/b]

Narragansetts and Pequots too. I went to Schemitzun and everybody kept thinking I was Pequot lol. But my belief is that if it's their ancestry and they can prove it then it's their right to claim it.

Lilmisssmartypants
11-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Narragansetts and Pequots too. I went to Schemitzun and everybody kept thinking I was Pequot lol. But my belief is that if it's their ancestry and they can prove it then it's their right to claim it.
[/b]
Yeah, of course.
I see you live in Arizona. Arizona State University and University of Arizona are a couple of the schools I am applying to. I know they have a few reservations there. The tuition is not bad but I still want to take the test because I would like to know my heritage and then learn about those cultures. But It would also be great if I didn't have to pay anything for college.

Let me ask you this, have you heard about either one of their film programs? UCLA and FSU are my top choices but the Arizona schools are my Safe schools.

Denny
11-16-2008, 03:39 PM
"well in the case of East Indians, that is really another issue. Because I hate to be generalized / grouped/ stereotyped therefore I try to refrain from doing the same..I'll just say in regards to East Indians (Desi's period), they have a long way to go in regards to race relations and colorism."

Too true, I can vouch for that for the U.K. The Hindu culture is very caste conscious so you can imagine where someone of African descent would fit in that system even tho a lot of us share the same brown skin tone if not phenotype. For the Asians that practise Islam generally it is said that a Arab muslim is more likely to marry an 'African' than an Asian muslim, (told to me by an Arab as a generalised statement) maybe its to do with cultural proximity?

As for Native Americans not sure how common slaves, freed black and &#39;Indian&#39;s &#39;got together&#39;. How migrant were the black community prior to the civil war, even afterwards how many of them migrated to areas were there were large NA populations? More likely whether we like it or not the percentage of us with NA ancestry is probably pretty small. Beside I don&#39;t hear of NA or even white folks looking for any black ancestry in droves like we like to look for them. <_<

curlyhead07
11-17-2008, 12:44 AM
[quote]
"well in the case of East Indians, that is really another issue. Because I hate to be generalized / grouped/ stereotyped therefore I try to refrain from doing the same..I&#39;ll just say in regards to East Indians (Desi&#39;s period), they have a long way to go in regards to race relations and colorism."

Too true, I can vouch for that for the U.K. The Hindu culture is very caste conscious so you can imagine where someone of African descent would fit in that system even tho a lot of us share the same brown skin tone if not phenotype. For the Asians that practise Islam generally it is said that a Arab muslim is more likely to marry an &#39;African&#39; than an Asian muslim, (told to me by an Arab as a generalised statement) maybe its to do with cultural proximity?

As for Native Americans not sure how common slaves, freed black and &#39;Indian&#39;s &#39;got together&#39;. How migrant were the black community prior to the civil war, even afterwards how many of them migrated to areas were there were large NA populations? More likely whether we like it or not the percentage of us with NA ancestry is probably pretty small. Beside I don&#39;t hear of NA or even white folks looking for any black ancestry in droves like we like to look for them <_< .

Lol...very good point..I dont have much NA friends but I do have a very good amount of white friends and black friends..and I can say this is VERY true. My black friends (more than my white friends) are more likely (and it seems like black people in general) to search for/claim far back non black ancestry (not saying there&#39;s much wrong with that). But we&#39;re not the only ones who are mixed! Believe it our not but whites/asians (indians) also have a mixed ancestry but rarely do I hear a white person say "I have that black in my family" or go specific searching for non white ancestry. Why do you think this is?

sunnysmile751
11-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Yeah, of course.
I see you live in Arizona. Arizona State University and University of Arizona are a couple of the schools I am applying to. I know they have a few reservations there. The tuition is not bad but I still want to take the test because I would like to know my heritage and then learn about those cultures. But It would also be great if I didn&#39;t have to pay anything for college.

Let me ask you this, have you heard about either one of their film programs? UCLA and FSU are my top choices but the Arizona schools are my Safe schools.
[/b]

Sorry I haven&#39;t heard about the film programs, but you could probably check it out online. I go to the U of A. We have a program where if your family makes 40,000 or less (I think) you can get scholarships and grants to cover all or most of your tuition.

I&#39;m not sure what you&#39;re heritage is but tribes are pretty different, so unless your ancestry is from a Southwestern tribe you might not learn much. Most of the Native students are from the Southwest.

nappyroots89
11-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Lol...very good point..I dont have much NA friends but I do have a very good amount of white friends and black friends..and I can say this is VERY true. My black friends (more than my white friends) are more likely (and it seems like black people in general) to search for/claim far back non black ancestry (not saying there&#39;s much wrong with that). But we&#39;re not the only ones who are mixed! Believe it our not but whites/asians (indians) also have a mixed ancestry but rarely do I hear a white person say "I have that black in my family" or go specific searching for non white ancestry. Why do you think this is?
[/b]

Because theyre culture doesnt promote the mixed heritage like ours does. In the black comunity its all great and dandy when your mixed, We even prefer it actually(good hair, blue/green eyes, lighter comlexion as compared to tar black, slimer noses etc.) thats why we go out of our way to not only to search far back for but to even claim our "non blackness". Point blank.

BlackAngelPlayah
01-30-2009, 07:54 PM
"well in the case of East Indians, that is really another issue. Because I hate to be generalized / grouped/ stereotyped therefore I try to refrain from doing the same..I&#39;ll just say in regards to East Indians (Desi&#39;s period), they have a long way to go in regards to race relations and colorism."

Too true, I can vouch for that for the U.K. The Hindu culture is very caste conscious so you can imagine where someone of African descent would fit in that system even tho a lot of us share the same brown skin tone if not phenotype. For the Asians that practise Islam generally it is said that a Arab muslim is more likely to marry an &#39;African&#39; than an Asian muslim, (told to me by an Arab as a generalised statement) maybe its to do with cultural proximity?

As for Native Americans not sure how common slaves, freed black and &#39;Indian&#39;s &#39;got together&#39;. How migrant were the black community prior to the civil war, even afterwards how many of them migrated to areas were there were large NA populations? More likely whether we like it or not the percentage of us with NA ancestry is probably pretty small. Beside I don&#39;t hear of NA or even white folks looking for any black ancestry in droves like we like to look for them. <_<
[/b]

I was just about to say that.. Why do we always try to put ourselves in their catagories when they fight so hard to keep from being REMOTELY related to us? My mom said we had &#39;indian in us.&#39; She said her grandmother was indian.. But miraculously... Never said which tribe.. Now there was a point in time when that was &#39;fashionable&#39;.. And I&#39;ve said it when asked. (People keep asking... That&#39;s what I&#39;ve been told, do the math..) But now days, I&#39;m more interested in this African thing.. That&#39;s the major part of my genetic make up, and I wanna know all I can about it.. And if we find some &#39;Indian in us&#39;, well that would be nice too.. :D But we should just get testing done and things like that just with the HOPES of being part NA or part German, or Irish.. If it&#39;s there, that&#39;s just part of us.. But it really shouldn&#39;t be a bigger deal than being of African decent. Why? Well, common reason.. If my black @ss walked the streets of Ireland and told them I&#39;m Irish.. Them people would laugh in my face. If I went to Africa, say Nigeria. And said I was African, well.. I&#39;m not sure what the response will be, but they&#39;ll believe it faster and would accept me faster. That&#39;s the basis I go on.. In America, if you look even REMOTELY black... That&#39;s what you are to THEM. (Them is anybody-EVEN BLACK FOLKS ARE THEM IN THIS CASE.) So if that&#39;s the way it&#39;s gonna be, why fight it so hard? And as for not liking black folks.. No body don&#39;t like black folks. The media has made villians and idiots of us to the world and so many of us play the part making it just that much more believable. It seems that EVERY body in the world would rather be any thing but black. And that&#39;s really sad.. Because when it all boils down.. African American- African.. Is just another race.. Not better or definitely not worst than any other...

Man that was longer than I intended. :P

:soapbox: Jen :soapbox:

mariajay
06-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Kinda..not really..I just wanted to know why, if Indians are so racist, are theyre so many people of african descent mixed with Indian? And do you know anything about people of Indian descent in Haiti? I know my Haitian born grandmother is half, (and she&#39;s not racist obviously) but is this common?. As for what Nappyroots said about it being the "in" thing to be, I kinda see where youre coming from but we cant just assume that everyone who says it is lying...
[/b]

i think you need to ask them why they are perceived as being racist. i do know that the european man has
gone out of his way to discredit black people and this doesn&#39;t help with race relations. there was a hughe difference in the way indians used by europeans as a labour workforce and african people were treated. we were not allowed to keep(or display) any trace of our culture and traditions and indians were.

tjolims
06-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Something nobody seems to have mentioned is that Native Americans aren&#39;t some massive monolithic group...there&#39;s lots of different cultures contained in the blanket term Native American. So yeah, some are/were massively anti-black and some aren&#39;t/weren&#39;t.

In my family, there&#39;s lots of stories about Indian ancestors, and the two that stand out illustrate my point, I think. On my father&#39;s side, there&#39;s supposedly a Seminole woman who married my great-great grandfather etc., etc. standard type of story that you hear...while on my *mother&#39;s* side, interestingly enough, one of her ancestors was supposedly owned by an Indian slaveowner, had some babies by him, and eventually she ran away with them and those babies married into Geechee family and culture...not so standard. Interesting though! But two very different portrayals of Indian/Black interaction back in the day...

And with all of that--accurate or not--I don&#39;t think I look or seem any different from regular old black folks for the most part, so :dunno:

sunnysmile751
06-19-2009, 02:52 AM
Something nobody seems to have mentioned is that Native Americans aren&#39;t some massive monolithic group...there&#39;s lots of different cultures contained in the blanket term Native American. So yeah, some are/were massively anti-black and some aren&#39;t/weren&#39;t.
[/b]

^^^ I think that&#39;s the main point right there! Even within groups you can have difference of belief.

DivineSpirals
07-14-2009, 12:42 AM
[/b]

Well, given the overall disparaging view towards blacks during the time of slavery (and beyond) Native Americans may have been about as "racist" as black people may have been "racist" towards each other. A lot of Native Americans may have not have gone as far as torturing black slaves, but they probably didn&#39;t have a tremendous amount of respect for them either (using anti-black racial epithets, not believing in our capabilities, etc.). Please don&#39;t take this the wrong way, but I suspect that similar to whites, Native Americans also had social classes (slave-owning NA&#39;s vs. poorer NA&#39;s). "Mixing" with black people could have been restricted to a certain social class of NA&#39;s, maybe. I have a NA ancestor who was a slave himself, according to oral history.