PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Tiller

jas.1984
11-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Ok,
I live in South louisiana. baton rouge to be exact. i am late on getting my winter garden started, cuz school and other things have me running ragged. so I got the mantis tiller it should be coming in this wednesday. yay. i am going to attempt to have a little veggie garden in my raised bed in the back. full of my winter veggies. have any of yall use the mantis? how do you like it? i know i am supposed to till it first then add additional dirt and then till again to blend it all right? i am really not sure of my layout since i did mostly container gardening in the spring/summer. i know i can get away with a lot more stuff so to speak with a raised bed. i also thought maybe i should make another one for my herbs. so any pointers on tilling. oh if it makes a difference my zone is 8 or 9 depending on whose site you look at. i do know 3 things i am going to have. kale, collards, mustard greens. blueberry bush. rosemary, fennel. all are hardy to withstand winter here. also maybe spinach. i want some egyptian walking onions too. if you look on burpee.com they are pretty cool and low maintance very unique too.
tia,
Jas.1984

OHR
11-10-2008, 10:38 PM
jas.1984,
Kudos to you on wanting a winter garden!! I don't live in a state (Ohio) that would support one, but I've been always interested in the Mantis Tiller. BUT...I usually resort to renting a regular small tiller from a neighborhood spot. I'll be checking this thread for info regarding that. Good luck.

jas.1984,
Kudos to you on wanting a winter garden!! I don't live in a state (Ohio) that would support one, but I've been always interested in the Mantis Tiller. BUT...I usually resort to renting a regular small tiller from a neighborhood spot. I'll be checking this thread for info regarding that. Good luck. What are Egyptian walking onions?!?
[/b]

jas.1984
11-11-2008, 02:30 AM
jas.1984,
Kudos to you on wanting a winter garden!! I don't live in a state (Ohio) that would support one, but I've been always interested in the Mantis Tiller. BUT...I usually resort to renting a regular small tiller from a neighborhood spot. I'll be checking this thread for info regarding that. Good luck.
[/b]

Thanks,
I am excited about it i cant hardly stand it :lol: i got the 4 cycle one so i dont have to worry with the whole oil gas mix thing. it cost a little more but if it can do what it says it can do and what i have seen on demonstrations it is well worth it. you can order directly from their site. and pay in 4 even installments which is cool. free shipping and a free gift and edger attach i think. i am excited. i say i can do it but the weather here is so screwy it can be 80 degrees one minute then 30 degrees the next all in one day.

extremelynappy
11-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks,
I am excited about it i cant hardly stand it :lol: i got the 4 cycle one so i dont have to worry with the whole oil gas mix thing. it cost a little more but if it can do what it says it can do and what i have seen on demonstrations it is well worth it. you can order directly from their site. and pay in 4 even installments which is cool. free shipping and a free gift and edger attach i think. i am excited. i say i can do it but the weather here is so screwy it can be 80 degrees one minute then 30 degrees the next all in one day.
[/b]

Sooo.... Did you get the Mantis? Do you like it? I've been looking at it for years and never took the plunge.

jas.1984
11-21-2008, 02:11 AM
yeah i have it. havent used it yet. will this weekend though. i got my compost ready and everything