PDA

View Full Version : Getting Hair Pressed...

Yellowtearhose
11-10-2008, 05:30 AM
Hi nappy sisters, I am proud to announce that I am officially a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated and my probate show is this weekend and not that I have to but I will be getting my hair straightened for it. I've been natural for two years and haven't had straight hair since so I am really happy for something different and for it to add to the effects of the show but I am still a little nervous about all the heat. I never use it so I am wondering how my hair will react to it...what will happen, how will it look, how long will it last, etc.
Any input, ladies?

iluvjoygirl
11-10-2008, 07:15 AM
First off congrats! Instead of risking possible irreversible damage to your naps, maybe you consider a weave?

yaugly000
11-10-2008, 07:26 AM
warning this thread will probably be shut down -- admins don't like anyone talking about heat usage on the hair. however do whatever you want to do

GiiGii
11-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Here is a link to an informative article about the effects of heat on natural hair. What ever you do, do it based on knowledge. There is a reason NP does not advocate heat usage nor discussions that promote heat usage. After reading the article, you will understand why. Good luck. :unsure:

http://nappyme.wordpress.com/hair-facts/he...rs-worse-enemy/ (http://nappyme.wordpress.com/hair-facts/heat-nappy-hairs-worse-enemy/)

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...&hl=heat+damage (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=79679&hl=heat+damage)

curlycoilyfroily
11-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Congrats.

If you don't have to, you shouldn't. It could damage your hair permanently. I would wear a weave or wear loose twists, if you want your hair to swing or whatever when you do your reveal.

If you want to straighten your hair, don't talk about it on the board. Nobody is going to tell you how to do it because NP doesn't advocate heat straightening. You've been here long enough to know this kind of thread is against the rules.

Jazitones
11-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Not a good thing to talk about heat combustion to natural hair on this site. Yes it will get shut down. But let me say this, DON'T DO IT! Your hair will not like it. Go with your first instinct.

shaylaporter
11-10-2008, 02:35 PM
First off I would like to sayEEEEEEEEEEEEE- YYYYYYYYIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!

Congrats on becoming a member of SGRho Sorority Incorporated. I am always honored to make a new sister :D

Secondly let's discuss you possibly killing your naps. Don't do it!!!
Women of SG Rho are to stand out in a crown and I believe that you would definitely stand out with your hair being in all of it's natural glory. I am not sure the length of your hair but I am sure you could do something besides press it. I just do not think that you should take the chance of damaging your hair for the probate show. We would not (SHOULD NOT) ask you to do something that would harm your person and since the goal for you is healthy hair.... keep it healthy soror.

Much love and again
EEE-YIP

Shay

NeverGiveup
11-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Don't. Do. It.

xismyspot1
11-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Don't. Do. It.
[/b]

I concur. If you're nervous, it's not a good idea. And I thought the point of having your hair natural is to be able to do something to it rather than have it a flopdown.

peace.

catrina2223
11-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Congrats!! :)

Girl...if your nervous about the heat, Don't Do It!!!!

I'm scared of heat too...that's why i refuse to straighten it.

bhop13
11-10-2008, 03:16 PM
If length for movement is what you're looking for you could probably do a braid out.

Do some small (not micro) box braids and curl the ends or the entire braid and take them all out when they've dried. Your hair will end up stretched (so you get the length) but sill have a pretty texture to it and it will look very cute.

faithworks
11-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Don't. Do. It.
[/b]
Congrats :wub: I agree with Nevergiveup!

TLMMM
11-10-2008, 04:07 PM
please don't do it! I let someone else p.ress my hair and now I don't have any. you don't want to destroy two years of growth for one night. if you must do it, please do it yourself so you can control the amount of heat used.

Midoria
11-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Congrats!!

Also, consider a wig or a weave. You do NOT want to end up on the hall of shame here at NP.

Moderator W
11-10-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm confused. 400+ posts, and you are not familiar with the policy of no heat discussion on NP?

Closed.