PDA

View Full Version : Moving Out

NubianPrincess
04-19-2004, 02:04 AM
I need a little encouragement I guess. Background: Im 23, in my last semester of college, and desire to ultimately attend medical school. I am applying for entrance in fall 2005, and I live at home with my parents. I've been on my own for a couple years in my life, but i'm back in the nest for now.

My plan was to stay here at home, and graduate/work/apply to medical school/graduate school while living here. That means that I would still be at home for at least another year.

The problem is that I can't take being here anymore. I can't take my father's verbal abuse anymore, and he actually raised up as if he would hurt me tonight. He is just that type of person and there is nothing I can do to change that, but I know that this situation is way too volatile for me to be in, and honestly expect things to work out for another year.

I don't know where to start. I need to leave as soon as I have the $$$, but I am afraid, I guess. I never lived alone here in NYC. The last time I lived in the bronx, it was with my mooching ex bf, and although he didn't support me in any way, I wasn't in it completely alone. I'm trying to find a job now so that I can begin working asap after graduation. I'm just so confused and hurt and I feel like im alone in this.

tdhayes
04-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Do what you feel you need to do for YOUR sanity!!!! I moved home after graduating from grad school. Staying home allowed me to pay off some bills quickly and get a car. When I got to the point that I was mad because my mom was in the house and I didn't want her there with me (mind you it was HER place)...I knew that it was time for me to get my own spot. The sense of freedom and peace is UNBELIEVABLY GREAT!!! You have to do what's right for you!!!!

Give me a yell if you need to talk...I always have an open ear and a sturdy pair of shoulders...and a box of tissues too! :blab :heart

elleebeme5
04-19-2004, 12:18 PM
Consider on-campus housing for the future; house sitting for now

I wish you well. It can't be easy for you. Good luck on finals and graduation

mrandmrsmer
04-19-2004, 12:25 PM
:blab Sorry for the issues you're going through. Elleebeme had a good idea in finding on-campus housing or you could try finding a roommate to share bills and the rent with.

HTH

Mrs. Mer :)

ValleyOfDecision
04-19-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by tdhayes@Apr 19 2004, 08:04 AM
Do what you feel you need to do for YOUR sanity!!!! I moved home after graduating from grad school. Staying home allowed me to pay off some bills quickly and get a car. When I got to the point that I was mad because my mom was in the house and I didn't want her there with me (mind you it was HER place)...I knew that it was time for me to get my own spot. The sense of freedom and peace is UNBELIEVABLY GREAT!!! You have to do what's right for you!!!!

Give me a yell if you need to talk...I always have an open ear and a sturdy pair of shoulders...and a box of tissues too! :blab :heart
This story sounds JUST LIKE ME. I had to leave. I had to take out a little extra on my financial aid, but my sanity is PRICELESS. My mother and I get along better now. Please PM me if you wanna talk. I live in NYC too, maybe I can help a little bit. Have a good day.

Dolliesdaughter
04-19-2004, 02:47 PM
I agree to find on campus housing but I would stay away from the roommate situation. So find your own place even if it is so tiny everything is in one room, it will be your place to do what you like. You will be ok.

cmsheart
04-19-2004, 03:49 PM
Everyone has given you great advice, I really do not need to add my $.02 however I think you should focus less on what the price of you moving out will be vs. the price of staying.

Roommates.... A very nice way to bond with a female and make a life long friend. If you found it so easy to move in with a guy who did not support/help you should not have a problem finding a female roommate who WILL pay HER share.

We women are so quick to diss a sista', but we latch on to a guy(man) like a leech!

On-Campus housing is not a bad idea because you can stop worrying about the rent (it's taken out of your tuition).