PDA

View Full Version : Funky Salon In Atlanta? Suggestions W/pics!

RUCreole
11-19-2008, 05:32 AM
Friday is my B'day I'm considering doing something drastic, ie...color, style design etc (not a twist out, straw set or those cookie cutter basic styles) :P

I typically wear my hair out & wild 80% and afro puff 20% on bad hair/dirty days :rolleyes:

I've been to:
Soul Vegetarian
Deep Rooted
Talia Waajid
Roots Int'l
Too Groovy
Aveda Inst.
Salon Ambiance
too many to list, etc....blah blah blah :angry:

(I don't do "African Hair Braiding Salons")

I've been researching craigslist and other websites

I purchase all my products at Urbanella :D they have stylists but they change em like underwear. :angry:

I came across Salon Tres Belle in Douglassville, really out of the way from Dunwoody, their website seems to show lots of pics, can anyone vouch for them? :unsure: ....or please provide some suggestions. Thank you.

http://www.salontresbelle.com/

bittersweet
11-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Atlanta's best kept secret is a young lady by the name of Ida Harris. She has 11 years of natural hair care under her belt. She has formerly worked in Red Creative Art Salon and Tendrils, both are upscale natural hair salons out of Brooklyn NY. She is very creative, talented and knowledgeable. Give her a call @ 404. 484. 2662...you can check out her online portfolio too @ http://Hotpeeznbutta.blogspot.com

RUCreole
11-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Atlanta's best kept secret is a young lady by the name of Ida Harris. She has 11 years of natural hair care under her belt. She has formerly worked in Red Creative Art Salon and Tendrils, both are upscale natural hair salons out of Brooklyn NY. She is very creative, talented and knowledgeable. Give her a call @ 404. 484. 2662...you can check out her online portfolio too @ http://Hotpeeznbutta.blogspot.com
[/b]

It seems as though "Bittersweet" and "Hotpeeznbutta" are HEAVILY endorsing Ida Harris. I need a client to refer me to a stylist...not the stylist or their team.

I know Red Creative Arts Salon in Brooklyn, they were RIDICULOUSLY priced....way outside of my budget. I actually prefered the stylist at Khamit Kinks, Afrigenix and NubianKinks.com

Thank you kindly.

bittersweet
12-02-2008, 01:16 AM
It seems as though "Bittersweet" and "Hotpeeznbutta" are HEAVILY endorsing Ida Harris. I need a client to refer me to a stylist...not the stylist or their team.

I know Red Creative Arts Salon in Brooklyn, they were RIDICULOUSLY priced....way outside of my budget. I actually prefered the stylist at Khamit Kinks, Afrigenix and NubianKinks.com

Thank you kindly.
[/b]

Yes Indeed!! I am heavily endorsing Ida Harris, and guess what? I am a DEVOTED client that enjoys the spoils of GREAT artistry. Also, she has no team. She is a one women entity which for myself happens to be a perk. So i'm sorry if my praise is overwhelming but i've got to give credit where credit is due. Especially with the horrific experiences i've had with "so-called natural hairstylist" But again, don't knock 'til you tried and of course don't take my word...I mean you could always check out lumpsy and bumpsy over at Sweet Potatoe Pie in L5P, get your hair washed with a bar of soap, dried with a filthy/moldy towel, drop $$$ for a style you're unsatisfied with, leave pissed off, and continue your quest to find a good "so-called natural hair stylist" I got tired of that....
Ida Harris...Hotpeeznbutta...Hands down!!!

findingme823
12-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Friday is my B'day I'm considering doing something drastic, ie...color, style design etc (not a twist out, straw set or those cookie cutter basic styles) :P

I typically wear my hair out & wild 80% and afro puff 20% on bad hair/dirty days :rolleyes:

I've been to:
Soul Vegetarian
Deep Rooted
Talia Waajid
Roots Int'l
Too Groovy
Aveda Inst.
Salon Ambiance
too many to list, etc....blah blah blah :angry:

(I don't do "African Hair Braiding Salons")

I've been researching craigslist and other websites

I don't know if you have been here yet, but I have heard great things about Tas at Curltopia. He is supposed to be one of the best.

I purchase all my products at Urbanella :D they have stylists but they change em like underwear. :angry:

I came across Salon Tres Belle in Douglassville, really out of the way from Dunwoody, their website seems to show lots of pics, can anyone vouch for them? :unsure: ....or please provide some suggestions. Thank you.
http://www.salontresbelle.com/
[/b]

ursula10
12-05-2008, 03:06 AM
I can't make any reccommendations. My salon experience hasn't been all that. I checked out Salon TRes Belle's site and one thing inparticular caught my eye. It says they have a "specializes authentic African thread remedy that unbelievably produces growth and softness of natural hair with no products at all. It is a health and growth solution for breaking, damaged or sensitive hair. And is also ideal for those who simply want to experience a rapid hair growth." This Natural Hair Growth Thread Treatment - $125
Application - 2 Hrs
Lasting Time - 2 wks

I wonder what this is. I plan to call tomorrow and find out.

alsaxon
12-06-2008, 01:36 AM
I can't make any reccommendations. My salon experience hasn't been all that. I checked out Salon TRes Belle's site and one thing inparticular caught my eye. It says they have a "specializes authentic African thread remedy that unbelievably produces growth and softness of natural hair with no products at all. It is a health and growth solution for breaking, damaged or sensitive hair. And is also ideal for those who simply want to experience a rapid hair growth." This Natural Hair Growth Thread Treatment - $125
Application - 2 Hrs
Lasting Time - 2 wks

I wonder what this is. I plan to call tomorrow and find out.
[/b]

I read that on the site too. did you find out exactly what it is?

ursula10
12-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Hey, I called about the Natural Hair Growth Thread Treatment - $125
that's supposed to be an authentic African thread remedy that unbelievably produces growth and softness of natural hair with no products at all. It is a health and growth solution for breaking, damaged or sensitive hair. And is also ideal for those who simply want to experience a rapid hair growth.

What this actually is is wrapping the hair with thread to stretch it out and they then style the hair with the thread still in. I've seen pictures in hair magazines. I think they're description is very misleading. The rapid hair growht they refer to is just the fact that when you remove the thread, your hair is stretched out. I don't see how they can calin that this is a growth solution for breaking damaged and sensitive hair.

alsaxon
12-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Hey, I called about the Natural Hair Growth Thread Treatment - $125
that's supposed to be an authentic African thread remedy that unbelievably produces growth and softness of natural hair with no products at all. It is a health and growth solution for breaking, damaged or sensitive hair. And is also ideal for those who simply want to experience a rapid hair growth.

What this actually is is wrapping the hair with thread to stretch it out and they then style the hair with the thread still in. I've seen pictures in hair magazines. I think they're description is very misleading. The rapid hair growht they refer to is just the fact that when you remove the thread, your hair is stretched out. I don't see how they can calin that this is a growth solution for breaking damaged and sensitive hair.
[/b]
Thanks for checking that out. Yes it is very misleading. I'm curious to see that the threading looks like though.

bittersweet
12-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks for checking that out. Yes it is very misleading. I'm curious to see that the threading looks like though.
[/b]

It looks like really small silky locs... the hairstyle that is braided and then wrapped with the synthetic hair. Because, thread is thinner they come out a lot smaller. I had silky locs before, can you say "it hurts to be beautiful"? There's a lot of tension that goes into the wrapping. My scalp was on fire!

ursula10
12-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Ok Guys, I called and amde an appointment. I'm getting the Tai Braids on 12/29. I was a little weary already because htey claimed the thread treatment would increase hair growth. But the Tai braids are beautiful in the picture so I want some. According to the description, the hair is completely covered so it should protect my hair and let it rest. The lady who answered the phone said that the hair was included and I was happy about that and said, "Hey' $290 might not be a bad price to pay for the hair and the braids," (they take 10 hours according to the web site. The lady on the ohone said 9 hours). But then she repeated the appointment date and time, the hair color, the stylist and said and the price will be $390. I was like What? The web site says $290. She saidyou're the second person who's said that. That is wrong, I nee to have it changed. Then she asked how long it said they last and I told her 5 weeks. She said they last 10-12 weeks and that if I take care of them they will last longer. She assured me that it is a typo and that they use excellent quality hair that will last. The hair in the pic is beautiful. I hope it's the same kind. If I get there and it's some crap I'm leaving.

alsaxon
12-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Ok Guys, I called and amde an appointment. I'm getting the Tai Braids on 12/29. I was a little weary already because htey claimed the thread treatment would increase hair growth. But the Tai braids are beautiful in the picture so I want some. According to the description, the hair is completely covered so it should protect my hair and let it rest. The lady who answered the phone said that the hair was included and I was happy about that and said, "Hey' $290 might not be a bad price to pay for the hair and the braids," (they take 10 hours according to the web site. The lady on the ohone said 9 hours). But then she repeated the appointment date and time, the hair color, the stylist and said and the price will be $390. I was like What? The web site says $290. She saidyou're the second person who's said that. That is wrong, I nee to have it changed. Then she asked how long it said they last and I told her 5 weeks. She said they last 10-12 weeks and that if I take care of them they will last longer. She assured me that it is a typo and that they use excellent quality hair that will last. The hair in the pic is beautiful. I hope it's the same kind. If I get there and it's some crap I'm leaving.
[/b]

Which one's are the tai braids. Are they the curly micro looking braids on the site? Be sure to share your photos when you're :) done.

ursula10
12-11-2008, 02:15 AM
Which one's are the tai braids. Are they the curly micro looking braids on the site? Be sure to share your photos when you're :) done.
[/b]
I will be sure to post them. They can be found on the page under services, braids, then go down to Tai braids. This is the link to the picture http://www.salontresbelle.com/hair2_b_taibraids.html
They look like micros but they're only braided a tiny bit. They look like micros, however, all hair is completely covered with braids. I'm curious to see how they do that.

RUCreole
12-30-2008, 03:09 PM
[/b]

Hey Missy...its 12/30 so how was it at Salon Tres Belle? :huh:

I want details, pics....the works?

:)

ursula10
01-02-2009, 01:15 AM
These are Tai braids. It's a microbraid that's braided all the way to the end of my hair. Loose hair is all around my braided hair covering it up so you only see the small end of the braid like micros.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n147/uesula/CIMG5549.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n147/uesula/CIMG5563.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n147/uesula/CIMG5562.jpg

IF I pull it apart then it looks like one microbraid and the other part is loose hair
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n147/uesula/CIMG5572.jpg

I like these better because unlike micros, I don't have so much of the hair braided and I think it looks better. AND I don't think I'll have to worry about my hair showing though as much as it did when I have micros when the style gets older. These are micros:
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n147/uesula/m141105_1193293553.jpg

nappyeditor
01-02-2009, 01:30 AM
^^Those look nice. How long did it take and how long will they last? Man, $390 is a grip for some braids though. Does that include the hair and is it human? And how was the salon experience in general? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, I'm curious!

ursula10
01-02-2009, 03:34 AM
I was a bit thrown when the directions led me to a beautiful gigantic home in Douglasville. I was likte WTF, the website has a picture of a slaon. Well, the salon is in her house. The salon pictured on the website is in a room in her basement. And it's really quite nice. The person who did my braids was Mushiya and she was really nice. She has a head full of beautiful natural hair, but she was kind of rough with ine. I have the nappiest hai in the work and she was combing thorugh it dry so you know how much was in the floor and it felt like my jead was being ripped off, but I'm used to it. I had tri some conditioning concoction the night before that left my hair super hard too. I had used some rhassoul clay and een though I washed it several times, I think my hair still held on to some of it because it looked brown.

As for the price, $390 was a bit much. The website had it advertised as $290, but when I called to make an appointment she said it was an oversite on the web page. I thought she was pulling my leg, but when I tried to schedule and appointment online, when I got ready to confirm $390 came up. The price has been corrected on the site. Some one called while I was getting my hair done and Mushiya told them the braids were regularly $490, but they were running a special. I don't know if this was true or just some good game, but let me tell you. I like these braids but I wouldn't pay $500 for them. If I get more, I want to bring my own hair. I don't know how much they would knock off of the price.

The hair is included in the price and I was told it's some good hair, but personally I think it 's pretty crappy and tangles. For the price I spent for the braids, I would have rather used the virgin indian remy hair that I usually buy. If I get these redone, I would definitely use some different hair. She started onmy hair at 11am and finished at 8pm. I stopped to use the bathroom once. She went up stairs a few time, but for the most part she was working on my hair. We didnt' even eat lunch, which was fine with me, I was really tired and just wanted to go home. I did feel bad because she had someone scheduled fo 6pm, but becuase I was late, it threw thing off. It wasn't my fault though, I tried to come on Tuesday in the first place.

They have a style called city twists that I really like. They are around $250 I think, I can't remember. I think I'll get some of those the next time if I go back.

Banke09
01-05-2009, 01:31 PM
I was a bit thrown when the directions led me to a beautiful gigantic home in Douglasville. I was likte WTF, the website has a picture of a slaon. Well, the salon is in her house. The salon pictured on the website is in a room in her basement. And it's really quite nice. The person who did my braids was Mushiya and she was really nice. She has a head full of beautiful natural hair, but she was kind of rough with ine. I have the nappiest hai in the work and she was combing thorugh it dry so you know how much was in the floor and it felt like my jead was being ripped off, but I'm used to it. I had tri some conditioning concoction the night before that left my hair super hard too. I had used some rhassoul clay and een though I washed it several times, I think my hair still held on to some of it because it looked brown.

As for the price, $390 was a bit much. The website had it advertised as $290, but when I called to make an appointment she said it was an oversite on the web page. I thought she was pulling my leg, but when I tried to schedule and appointment online, when I got ready to confirm $390 came up. The price has been corrected on the site. Some one called while I was getting my hair done and Mushiya told them the braids were regularly $490, but they were running a special. I don't know if this was true or just some good game, but let me tell you. I like these braids but I wouldn't pay $500 for them. If I get more, I want to bring my own hair. I don't know how much they would knock off of the price.

The hair is included in the price and I was told it's some good hair, but personally I think it 's pretty crappy and tangles. For the price I spent for the braids, I would have rather used the virgin indian remy hair that I usually buy. If I get these redone, I would definitely use some different hair. She started onmy hair at 11am and finished at 8pm. I stopped to use the bathroom once. She went up stairs a few time, but for the most part she was working on my hair. We didnt' even eat lunch, which was fine with me, I was really tired and just wanted to go home. I did feel bad because she had someone scheduled fo 6pm, but becuase I was late, it threw thing off. It wasn't my fault though, I tried to come on Tuesday in the first place.

They have a style called city twists that I really like. They are around $250 I think, I can't remember. I think I'll get some of those the next time if I go back.
[/b]

Thats funny! I absolutely LOVE Salon Tres Belle. I have been a regular at the salon for about 2 years now and I wouldn't go anywhere else. I started off with permed hair and cut it off on my way to becoming all natural. Since then I've been continuously getting the city twists and my hair has regrown and can stretch to a little bit beyond my shoulders.

The price isn't necessarily cheap, but I believe you get what you pay for and I love the city twists that I have been getting.

The only problem that I have with the salon is the house wine...I'm addicted! For my sisters who enjoy wine you have to request the house wine when you go. Its a secret wine that they serve to the clients and its absolutely delicious!

I will be adding my photos soon! (Husband has the camera and is out of town, but as soon as he gets back I'll post some up!)

RUCreole
01-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Great pics of Tai Braids...thanks for posting.

I can't wait to see the city twist pics.

:rolleyes:

Chocolate CurlyGirl
01-06-2009, 02:44 AM
$390? Good lawd, that would be a good contribution to my Louis Vuitton bag fund lol. I don't know, I'm all about good hair styling, but I'm not trying to pay a mint for something temporary such as a hairdo. Also, Ida's prices are kind of steep too. This is what bothers me with natural hair stylists, the price point. I am NOT paying $75 for a twist out, that is ridiculous. Especially if it's a flat twist twist out. Flat twists take no time to do, sitting under the dryer takes no effort for the stylist, then untwisting and fluffing takes minutes so $75 for that? Naw dawg. Now Salon Tres Belle's twist out is $45, I can deal with that. Maybe I'll try them out for that style since I suck at twists.

ursula10
01-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Hold up! Now, I said from the jump, that I didn't like the hair. It looks dry, tangles a lot and irritates my skin. I thought, maybe it's the coating on the hair, so last night I decided to wash and deep condition it. As soon as the water hit it, I realized what the problem is - IT'S SYNTHETIC!!!!!!

Ok, atleast that's what I think.. I sent my stylist an email asking about it. I asked her what kind of hair she used vwhen I made my appointment, because I didn't want any problems. She said she used "good Korean hair" and it was included in the price. Now $390 is a bit steep, but i figured you have to consider the price of the hair. If she's buying good quality hair of course you should expect to pay more and it should last and be easier to manage. I don't think that's the case here. I sent her an email asking if she did a switcheroo and used synthetics. I am waiting on a response.

I take nothing away from the salon. It looked nice and Mushiya was very nice and she did a good job. I didn't get any wine or anything, although she did apologize and say that she did not treat me like she usually does her other customers. I was fine. I don't like wine anyway. I just hope I didn't pay almost 400 for some synthetic mess.

nappyeditor
01-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Hold up! Now, I said from the jump, that I didn't like the hair. It looks dry, tangles a lot and irritates my skin. I thought, maybe it's the coating on the hair, so last night I decided to wash and deep condition it. As soon as the water hit it, I realized what the problem is - IT'S SYNTHETIC!!!!!!

Ok, atleast that's what I think.. I sent my stylist an email asking about it. I asked her what kind of hair she used vwhen I made my appointment, because I didn't want any problems. She said she used "good Korean hair" and it was included in the price. Now $390 is a bit steep, but i figured you have to consider the price of the hair. If she's buying good quality hair of course you should expect to pay more and it should last and be easier to manage. I don't think that's the case here. I sent her an email asking if she did a switcheroo and used synthetics. I am waiting on a response.

I take nothing away from the salon. It looked nice and Mushiya was very nice and she did a good job. I didn't get any wine or anything, although she did apologize and say that she did not treat me like she usually does her other customers. I was fine. I don't like wine anyway. I just hope I didn't pay almost 400 for some synthetic mess.
[/b]
Oh no! I hope it's not synthetic. The price is super, duper steep, but if you factor in $100 hair, it makes it a little easier to swallow. Good luck on that girl. What happened after you washed? Does it still look good? Why do you think it's synthetic?

As for the wine, or whatever, just be wary of some of the posts people make out of the blue on here. I notice that in posts about hair salons, all of a sudden, people seem to create an account just to comment on some of the hairdressers. Just my :2cents:

Anyway, PLEASE keep us updated. I don't live in Atlanta, but my inlaws do, so I often get my hair done when I'm in town.

Sunbubbles
01-06-2009, 02:19 PM
ooohhhh! That sounds interesting! I live in Douglasville, but Ive never heard of that tres belle salon. Id love to give it a go, bbbbbuuuuutttt, THE PRICE!! yikes!! Id definitely have to save up
and just to SEE what there about. Maybe for a special occasion. LOL
I looked at the pics and those City Twists look amazing! I wonder if I can figure out how they're done and try to see if I can try and do it. Can anybody look at the pic and tell me what type of hair you think they used? I love me some twists yall! anything that keeps me from having to do my hair! But if I pay 390 for some braids, they WILL not be coming out! lol I would just have to start my locking adventure :lol:

Ursula10: Those tai braids look fantastic on you girly!

Chocolate CurlyGirl
01-06-2009, 03:34 PM

[/b]

Chile, you better stop it. For $390, that had better be some good Beyonce type weave. I will definitely stick to styles with my natural hair IF I decide to try this place out. And "Good Korean Hair"? That is not a good enough explanation of what type of hair she used. Un uh, something in the milk ain't clean...

Cinnamon42
01-06-2009, 04:14 PM
If that hair is synethic--she would be taking it out and putting some "Good Korean HUMAN hair" in. I hope everything works out for you.

ursula10
01-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Well, I just got off the phone with my braider. I sent her an email about this hair this morning. She assures me that it is human and not synthetic. <_< She said she will re curl it for me. Well, for starters, I want it straight. I explained that I don&#39;t want it curled. I told her it&#39;s hard and full of tangles. I also told her I was concerned because I washed it and conditioned it and everything just "sat" on the hair (like it&#39;s plastic). The hair didn&#39;t get limp/soft or anything when the water hit it. The same crinkles stayed in. She said she set it in such a way that the crinkles will stay in.... y&#39;all, all she did was plait it and put it in hot water. Now I&#39;ve have all kinds of hair do&#39;s and hair. I&#39;ve paid from $20- $2,700 for a hair do ( I kid you not) and I know when something isn&#39;t right. Either this hair is synthetic, or it&#39;s some crap. When I invest That kind of money in a hair do, I expect good results because I plan to keep it in a while.

I&#39;m in Miami and she said I could come back by when I get in Town and she&#39;ll straighten it for me for free. She&#39;s being really nice about it, but I&#39;ve got to let my friend (who is a liscensed cosmetologist) take a look at this firdt. Something isn&#39;t right.

Cinnamon42
01-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Well, I just got off the phone with my braider. I sent her an email about this hair this morning. She assures me that it is human and not synthetic. <_< She said she will re curl it for me. Well, for starters, I want it straight. I explained that I don&#39;t want it curled. I told her it&#39;s hard and full of tangles. I also told her I was concerned because I washed it and conditioned it and everything just "sat" on the hair (like it&#39;s plastic). The hair didn&#39;t get limp/soft or anything when the water hit it. The same crinkles stayed in. She said she set it in such a way that the crinkles will stay in.... y&#39;all, all she did was plait it and put it in hot water. Now I&#39;ve have all kinds of hair do&#39;s and hair. I&#39;ve paid from $20- $2,700 for a hair do ( I kid you not) and I know when something isn&#39;t right. Either this hair is synthetic, or it&#39;s some crap. When I invest That kind of money in a hair do, I expect good results because I plan to keep it in a while.

I&#39;m in Miami and she said I could come back by when I get in Town and she&#39;ll straighten it for me for free. She&#39;s being really nice about it, but I&#39;ve got to let my friend (who is a liscensed cosmetologist) take a look at this firdt. Something isn&#39;t right.
[/b]

Work it out sista--that&#39;s to much money for fake $hit.

Chocolate CurlyGirl
01-07-2009, 03:59 PM
I&#39;ve paid from $20- $2,700 for a hair do ( I kid you not) and I know when something isn&#39;t right. [/b]

Can a sista get a loan? :lol: I think I may get tree braids again. They looked great, no one believed they were tree braids because her technique makes them look like invisible braids. Now if only I can find the braiders info... I think I paid $160 for them and I kept them for 2 months. I bought my own hair because I didn&#39;t like the hair she had. I wanted human deep wave hair, and she only had straight and wet and wavy. If she provides the hair, I think the price was $180. Not a big discount considering the deep wave hair was like $40 a pack, so I paid $80 for two packs. I may use her hair this time, if I can find her number. :unsure:

Also, taking them out was a breeze! It may have taken me an hour.

bittersweet
01-08-2009, 07:26 PM
$390? Good lawd, that would be a good contribution to my Louis Vuitton bag fund lol. I don&#39;t know, I&#39;m all about good hair styling, but I&#39;m not trying to pay a mint for something temporary such as a hairdo. Also, Ida&#39;s prices are kind of steep too. This is what bothers me with natural hair stylists, the price point. I am NOT paying $75 for a twist out, that is ridiculous. Especially if it&#39;s a flat twist twist out. Flat twists take no time to do, sitting under the dryer takes no effort for the stylist, then untwisting and fluffing takes minutes so $75 for that? Naw dawg. Now Salon Tres Belle&#39;s twist out is $45, I can deal with that. Maybe I&#39;ll try them out for that style since I suck at twists.
[/b]

Those braids were Hot though!! $390 not too bad for the labor and hair, and the length of time you get to wear them for. When you break it down and do the math, it&#39;s worth it. You think Ida&#39;s prices are high?? I don&#39;t think so, I find them to be Very reasonable for what&#39;s out there. Remember, you do get what you pay for. And, by the way, that twist out you are referring, she does them with individual two strand twist, that she recommends you wear for a couple of weeks in order to get your monies worth...Sorry but aforementioned I represent for my stylist, she has NEVER let me down! Lol

Chocolate CurlyGirl
01-08-2009, 08:23 PM
I guess 75 bucks for an individual strand twist out isn&#39;t bad. I don&#39;t know if her prices are good compared to what&#39;s out there because most natural salons that I know of charge too much in my opinion, which is why I do my own hair for the most part. I just look at things in a larger scheme and it doesn&#39;t make sense for me to drop 400 bucks on a hairstyle that will only last about 8 weeks, when I could spend that on something with more longevity such as stocking up on good hair products, clothes, etc...

Cinnamon42
01-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Those braids were Hot though!! $390 not too bad for the labor and hair, and the length of time you get to wear them for. When you break it down and do the math, it&#39;s worth it. You think Ida&#39;s prices are high?? I don&#39;t think so, I find them to be Very reasonable for what&#39;s out there. Remember, you do get what you pay for. And, by the way, that twist out you are referring, she does them with individual two strand twist, that she recommends you wear for a couple of weeks in order to get your monies worth...Sorry but aforementioned I represent for my stylist, she has NEVER let me down! Lol
[/b]

Ida aka bittersweet....Sometimes you don&#39;t get what you pay for...I have been in that situation where stylist want top dollar but provide lousy service. I think it depends on the individual.

Chocolate CurlyGirl
01-09-2009, 01:47 PM
^^^Agreed. High prices do not necessarily constitute top service. Goodness, I wish I knew how to braid lol.

NattyFemme07
01-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Chile, you better stop it. For $390, that had better be some good Beyonce type weave. I will definitely stick to styles with my natural hair IF I decide to try this place out. And "Good Korean Hair"? That is not a good enough explanation of what type of hair she used. Un uh, something in the milk ain&#39;t clean...
[/b]

Shiiiiz, am I the only one who remembers when individuals came out and broads were paying $800 for those joints???? :lol:

iheartsmimi
01-22-2009, 12:31 PM
ursula i am hoping you get that fixed as promised let us know how you make out..but i am actually going to mushiya tomorrow for a consult to cut the rest of my chemical fire cream out since i had a hard time doing it myself..ill let you guys know how the consult goes

Chocolate CurlyGirl
01-22-2009, 01:48 PM
ursula i am hoping you get that fixed as promised let us know how you make out..but i am actually going to mushiya tomorrow for a consult to cut the rest of my chemical fire cream out since i had a hard time doing it myself..ill let you guys know how the consult goes
[/b]

Why don&#39;t you just go to a natural hair salon for that? Shoot, even somewhere like SuperCuts could assist you with that.

ursula10
01-22-2009, 10:43 PM
I went and Me and Mushiya went back and forth about the hair being synthetic. She explained to me that there are different qualities of hair and that&#39;s why the hair I have looks the way it does. I took a bundle of $30 hair, some $129 remy hair and some $252 virgin remy hair. I lit them all with a match I showed her that hair burns and turns to ash when you touch it, it also smells like burning skin. ( I&#39;m a nurse, we carderize flesh all the time). Even after I combed through my braids and burned the "hair" and I showed her that ir melted, she insisted that it was human. She said you can&#39;t straighten synthetic hair and I told here there are all kinds of synthetics that you can curl and striaghten ( one of which is in my head). She was very nice, but of course she didn&#39;t give me any satisfaction. They offered to do the maintenace ( curl, striaghten ) my haior as long as I keep the braids, but I don&#39;t think I&#39;ll be driving to 2 hours to Douglasville for that. She also said she would discount my next style. <_<

She seems like such a nice sincere girl, but I find it hard to believe that someone who is in the business or hair, doesn&#39;t know sythetic from real hair. I would have felt better if she had said, " I&#39;ll take this hair to the beauty supply store here in town and ask them if it&#39;s synthetic. Then she would have an unbiased opinion. AND they would tell her it&#39;s not human. But, all she kept saying is that she stands by her supplier who said it&#39;s human. I just hope she looks into it before she gets a customer who raises hell about paying $390 and getting a head full of beautiful plastic braids.

MissKimberly good luck with your cut. I just hope you don&#39;t pay an arm and a leg for something simple.

Cinnamon42
01-22-2009, 11:17 PM
I went and Me and Mushiya went back and forth about the hair being synthetic. She explained to me that there are different qualities of hair and that&#39;s why the hair I have looks the way it does. I took a bundle of $30 hair, some $129 remy hair and some $252 virgin remy hair. I lit them all with a match I showed her that hair burns and turns to ash when you touch it, it also smells like burning skin. ( I&#39;m a nurse, we carderize flesh all the time). Even after I combed through my braids and burned the "hair" and I showed her that ir melted, she insisted that it was human. She said you can&#39;t straighten synthetic hair and I told here there are all kinds of synthetics that you can curl and striaghten ( one of which is in my head). She was very nice, but of course she didn&#39;t give me any satisfaction. They offered to do the maintenace ( curl, striaghten ) my haior as long as I keep the braids, but I don&#39;t think I&#39;ll be driving to 2 hours to Douglasville for that. She also said she would discount my next style. <_<
She seems like such a nice sincere girl, but I find it hard to believe that someone who is in the business or hair, doesn&#39;t know sythetic from real hair. I would have felt better if she had said, " I&#39;ll take this hair to the beauty supply store here in town and ask them if it&#39;s synthetic. Then she would have an unbiased opinion. AND they would tell her it&#39;s not human. But, all she kept saying is that she stands by her supplier who said it&#39;s human. I just hope she looks into it before she gets a customer who raises hell about paying $390 and getting a head full of beautiful plastic braids.
MissKimberly good luck with your cut. I just hope you don&#39;t pay an arm and a leg for something simple.
[/b]

I feel so bad for you...I think the least she could have done was re-do your hair. What happened to customer satisfaction?

iheartsmimi
01-24-2009, 01:46 AM
okay so here was my experience at salon tres belle--first mushiya is very nice we had great rapport and she is funny--but i dont feel like she really knew what i wanted...you see i have been transitioning for about 14 months now but with lack of knowledge i was pressing off and on :( i stopped my last press out Nov 08 and realized in Dec 08 i had major heat damage...so my hair feels like its caught between three textures--the relaxed ends. my frizzy burnt hair, and the new growth coming in...i already know i have to cut alot off to achieve my hair goal the question now is do i want to do it gradually and keep transitioning or just chop it off--well im sick of the 3 textures so im ready to chop--well mushiya also agreed but strongly suggested i add "city" twists to help grow out my hair..now i know that twists really do grow your hair but i want to do this journey sans extensions so i was adamant on not getting any extensions done and kept insisting just chop it all off and style my hair--she wants to charge me 140 bucks for a BC and a style...i am in a deep recession ya&#39;ll and 140 bucks right now i am not feeling...ursula is right she is a sweet heart and her intentions are well but she is steep. so ill be searching elsewhere or ready to do the damn thing myself--i hear that tas in curltopia is great with the BC and he is very knowledgable so ill head on over there and see for myself

quote name=&#39;Chocolate Napp&#39; date=&#39;Jan 22 2009, 01:48 PM&#39; post=&#39;2226653&#39;]
Why don&#39;t you just go to a natural hair salon for that? Shoot, even somewhere like SuperCuts could assist you with that.
[/quote]

chocolate napp--i thought this is a natural hair salon since everyone that came in and out is natural but her prices are too steep...soooo ill be looking elsewhere..if you have any recommendations for a specific stylist at supercuts in atl let me know because i can deal with their prices

ursula--i am soo sorry about the experience. when she gave me the info on the city twists i asked her if the hair was synthetic or human that she is using for $390 for micros and $250 for the regular size she said its synthetic ^_^ i was a bit surprised that she would charge so much for some synthetic hair especially since i can order the afro kinky HUMAN hair and it would look a lot better...anyway i told her nicely that i would be learning how to do kinky twists myself to save some $$$

CuckooPuffs
01-24-2009, 02:57 AM
Aight unrespectable suppliers will sell you anything to take a dollar out of your pockets to put in their pockets and be laughing all the way to the bank, she was gullible, she obviously don&#39;t know the difference between synthetics and real human hair

Chocolate CurlyGirl
01-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Ooh Lawd, I&#39;m reading all this AFTER I went to get my hair done lol. Well, the hair she used for me is synthetic and she told me so. I&#39;m not sure if this was because of Ursula&#39;s issue or not. :dunno: The hair was hair she never used before so it was an "experiment" if you will, so she gave me a discount because of this. I like the style, the hair is very big so I&#39;ll have to adjust to that. I have one side pinned up to take some of the bulk out. As everyone else said, Mushiya is very personable. I knew the style was something she hadn&#39;t done up front and agreed to it because I would not have to pay full price. Yall know I&#39;m cheap when it comes to hairstyles lol. I&#39;ll spend money on products because they LAST but hairstyles don&#39;t so I am skeptical of shelling a lot of money on something that is only going to last me a few weeks. Ursala, there was a girl who came in while

I was there who had Thai braids and they "re-set" them for her. The wave in the hair had become looser so they brought the crinkles back by braiding the hair, putting hot water on the ends, and sitting her under the dryer. It looked nice when she was done and she didn&#39;t pay them anything. I was looking lol. So, maybe maintenance is something that they do as a courtesy? Iono... Overall, I liked my experience. I had the wonderful wine and she also treated us to food. Now how this hair is going to hold up, I don&#39;t know. But here is a pic!

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo190/brwnbarbie1908/2009_0124random0003.jpg

RUCreole
01-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Ooh Lawd, I&#39;m reading all this AFTER I went to get my hair done lol. Well, the hair she used for me is synthetic and she told me so. I&#39;m not sure if this was because of Ursula&#39;s issue or not. :dunno: The hair was hair she never used before so it was an "experiment" if you will, so she gave me a discount because of this. I like the style, the hair is very big so I&#39;ll have to adjust to that. I have one side pinned up to take some of the bulk out. As everyone else said, Mushiya is very personable. I knew the style was something she hadn&#39;t done up front and agreed to it because I would not have to pay full price. Yall know I&#39;m cheap when it comes to hairstyles lol. I&#39;ll spend money on products because they LAST but hairstyles don&#39;t so I am skeptical of shelling a lot of money on something that is only going to last me a few weeks. Ursala, there was a girl who came in while

I was there who had Thai braids and they "re-set" them for her. The wave in the hair had become looser so they brought the crinkles back by braiding the hair, putting hot water on the ends, and sitting her under the dryer. It looked nice when she was done and she didn&#39;t pay them anything. I was looking lol. So, maybe maintenance is something that they do as a courtesy? Iono... Overall, I liked my experience. I had the wonderful wine and she also treated us to food. Now how this hair is going to hold up, I don&#39;t know. But here is a pic!

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo190/brwnbarbie1908/2009_0124random0003.jpg
[/b]

I&#39;m loving in! (I&#39;m a big hair fanatic) :D

What is that? How much? What kind of hair is that? Do you have more pics with all of it out in its full glory. :rolleyes:

Chocolate CurlyGirl
01-28-2009, 11:34 PM
They are Thai braids, I don&#39;t know what kind of hair it was. But it looks like Afro Kinky hair, I bought some before and it looks just like this hair. As far as the price, Thai braids start at $390 but like I said she gave me a discount because of the hair; since she didn&#39;t know how it would work out. I only took pics on that day, but when I take more, I&#39;ll post.

RUCreole
01-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks Chocolate Napp...You ROCK! :rolleyes:

ursula10
01-31-2009, 04:03 AM
Chocolate Napp, your hair is big and beautiful! I like it. Nice jo on the makeup too. As for the maintenance, I know they were pulling my leg with the free thing. Good looking out! I&#39;m not driving 2 hours to have my hair plaited and dipped in hot water. I&#39;ve already started taking them out, so it&#39;s all good.

Chocolate CurlyGirl
02-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Close ups
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo190/brwnbarbie1908/2009_0202random0003-1.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo190/brwnbarbie1908/2009_0202random0002-1.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo190/brwnbarbie1908/2009_0201random0003.jpg

beaka
02-05-2009, 08:32 PM
I&#39;ve see Chocolate Napp&#39;s hair in person, and the braids really are cute. The curls in the hair look really good. :)

As for me... I braid my hair myself. It may not be perfect, but I&#39;m getting there. I&#39;ve had too many bad braid experiences. Besides, I got way more time than I got money. ^_^

Chocolate CurlyGirl
02-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks beaka! Maybe you can do my hair next time lol.

fJOSEPH25
02-06-2009, 02:42 PM
I have some design essentials products that im no longer using if anyone would like to have them just let me know i have 2 bottles of shampoo 2 conditioners some moisture oil and some silk oil i bought the whole transition line so if anyone would like to see what it is that im giving away you can go to the web site and take a look its www.designessentials.com there good products they smell great just didnt give me the results i was looking for im using the aphogee line right now so if anyone would like to have them there more then welcome

beaka
02-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Chocolate Napp> I definitely would! Everybody needs a side hustle! :D

Poetic_Butterfly
02-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Chocolate Napp> I definitely would! Everybody needs a side hustle! :D
[/b]

Beaka you do a good job on your hair! I wanted to tell you that at the gathering too! :D

Peace,
Rasta

beaka
02-07-2009, 04:56 AM
Awww, gee! :blush:

THANKS! :wub:

Batyah
02-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Like Mommy Rasta said, Beaka, I also meant to tell you that you did a good job on your braid extensions. They were so good that I keep sneaking peeks to see if it was your hair or not. :)

Poetic_Butterfly
02-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Like Mommy Rasta said, Beaka, I also meant to tell you that you did a good job on your braid extensions. They were so good that I keep sneaking peeks to see if it was your hair or not. :)
[/b]

I have to admit that I caught myself doing the same thing :blush: Beaka your braid extensions looked so real!

Peace,
Rasta

beaka
02-08-2009, 10:00 PM
LOL!!! Ya&#39;ll didn&#39;t have to sneak! I&#39;m not shy about my weave! :P

Besides, as close as we were that&#39;s a compliment that ya&#39;ll couldn&#39;t tell. :)

ladybikerlele
04-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Hold up! Now, I said from the jump, that I didn&#39;t like the hair. It looks dry, tangles a lot and irritates my skin. I thought, maybe it&#39;s the coating on the hair, so last night I decided to wash and deep condition it. As soon as the water hit it, I realized what the problem is - IT&#39;S SYNTHETIC!!!!!!

Ok, atleast that&#39;s what I think.. I sent my stylist an email asking about it. I asked her what kind of hair she used vwhen I made my appointment, because I didn&#39;t want any problems. She said she used "good Korean hair" and it was included in the price. Now $390 is a bit steep, but i figured you have to consider the price of the hair. If she&#39;s buying good quality hair of course you should expect to pay more and it should last and be easier to manage. I don&#39;t think that&#39;s the case here. I sent her an email asking if she did a switcheroo and used synthetics. I am waiting on a response.

I take nothing away from the salon. It looked nice and Mushiya was very nice and she did a good job. I didn&#39;t get any wine or anything, although she did apologize and say that she did not treat me like she usually does her other customers. I was fine. I don&#39;t like wine anyway. I just hope I didn&#39;t pay almost 400 for some synthetic mess.
[/b]

Why oh why did I not see your posts before I went to Salon Tres Belle?!? At this very moment I am removing the microbraids from my hair after less than 4 weeks!

I primarily wanted microbraids for the summer so I could ride my motorcycle and not have to worry about helmet hair. At the same time, I&#39;m going to try to give the natural hair journey another go. I went for a consult and explained my desires to Mushiya. She wanted to do Tai braids, but $390 was way out of my price range.

When I got my braids (she used the straight hair), they looked really good. I was told the hair was human. My first clue that that was not the case was when I went home and tried to bump the ends with my flat flaming hot tool of hair torture. The hair fell limp. It barely bended, let alone a curl. I then tried to braid it with a little mouse overnight. The braids left a slight wave, and it fell out after a couple of days. After a couple of weeks, the ends started to fray and they were hard. The strands were poking me in the back through my clothes! Human hair does not do that after only two weeks. I had to cut the ends.

I also had a problem with unravelling and quite a bit of slippage in some areas. I thought the "No knot, no glue" claim would be good, because I had a terrible experience with glue a couple of years ago. One week after getting my braids, several were unraveling...up to the base of the braid. I had to rebraid many of them, some more than once. I don&#39;t blame the braider, I blame the hair. The hair is terrible. I can&#39;t comb it because of the unraveling, can&#39;t curl it, and can&#39;t braid it. The ponytails are heavy b/c she used over 3 packs of hair...which defeats the purpose of me getting the braids in the first place because my helmet does not fit!

Another thing...I could never get a clear answer on the cost. I know the cost of the braids was going to be $290. I justified the cost by the price of the "quality" hair I expected to receive. I learned before I went that a hair wash/condition was an additional $45, so I washed my own hair. I think i ended up paying $340, because she factored in the cost of using additional hair. I try not to think about it, because it&#39;s ridiculous and a little painful.

I&#39;m going to get my hair rebraided this weekend at a different shop for half the price.

I also have to add that my boyfriend went a few days before me for a $85 loc maintence. It ended up costing him $165! He was not told about the additional shampoo/condition fee and was completely blown away. He asked several times how to maintain it between visits, and didn&#39;t get an answer. Bukky told him to come back in 4 weeks, but his hair needs to be maintained every 10-14 days. I know because I started his locs and have maintained them all this time. I admit it looked a little better than when my "inexperienced" hands do it, but not $165 better.

I like the stylists, they are good people and are very talented, but time and money are very valuable to me. I feel like I wasted both because I expected an 8-week hairstyle, I&#39;m taking down at 4 weeks, and I spent much more than I expected.

I do have to say the city twists looked really good. I watched Bukky finish a whole head during my session. I would consider getting them, but Mushiya said the prices are increasing...OMG!

P. S. I did get a light breakfast and lunch and wine...which is why I still tipped :-)

glowithin
05-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Great so who took the best care of your hair and styled it well?

I was thinking of trying Taliah&#39;s salon but I havent been hearing great things about it.

Thanks for any feedback you can give..

Cdeesnapps
05-25-2009, 09:55 PM
I&#39;ve been doing my natural hair for 9 years and the last time I went to a salon it was Seven Under Escape (in the shopping center by Justin&#39;s on Peachtree) just to have some &#39;celebrity stylist&#39; rip my hair from brushing it too hard without any idea on detangling, burn the texture out of my hair and slap a permanent color on....Needless to say, I learned my lesson. My hair fell out something fierce and I ended up doing my trusty kinky twists to regrow another head of hair.

Anyhow, I&#39;m going to Oh My Nappy Hair! (downtown by 5 pts) tomorrow for a trim since I haven&#39;t had one in forever (no wonder I can&#39;t see any length). I found a half off coupon on V103&#39;s Atlanta Half Off page offering a $60 gift certificate for $30. The only reason I&#39;m going is because she said she doesn&#39;t have to st.raighten it to cut it. We&#39;ll see.

*****UPDATE****
I just got home. She washed my hair loose and man-handled my mane with her detangling technique. I had to tell her to go from bottom up, but that wouldn&#39;t help because, my length just coils back on itself when it&#39;s wet. I was dying inside. My naps were flying every which way. snap crackle pop...I&#39;m not okay with that. :angry:

The cut was pretty darn good, actually better than I expected since she didn&#39;t blow it out. Next time, I&#39;ll go in with my hair already detangled and get a cut/trim only, maybe styling. So for $30, I got $60 worth of services, a wash/condition, cut, and simple styling. She put 10 braids in front and 12 twists in back (I skidaddled out the door when she tried to put me under the dryer..lol).

Needless to say, I&#39;m back to doing my own hair. I&#39;m thinking about offering natural hair services out of my apartment. If anyone wants to let me practice on them for cheap, pm me.

fjervis
05-27-2009, 08:09 PM
I&#39;m going to be in Atlanta for the summer (and have never been so know nothing about the area) and don&#39;t have a car so I will have to rely on public transportation. Do you know if I can get to any of these places; Ida, Oh My Nappy Hair, Salon Tres Belle, or any other natural-ish places without a car?

If not, i am willing to be a guinea pig for anyone who wants to do my hair (not too expensive!!!) if I can meet you somewhere public transportation accessible..... ;)

Cdeesnapps
05-27-2009, 09:05 PM
@fjervis- I&#39;ve lived in Midtown for 3 years without a vehicle, I take MARTA everywhere. Oh! My Nappy Hair is 3 blocks from 5 points train station.

I&#39;d be glad to practice on your head, let me know what you want done. Maybe we can do an even swap (free.99) cuz I wanted some small twists to wear for a few weeks. :D

glowithin
05-28-2009, 10:50 AM
You can also get the address on-line of the places you want to go and then go to the Marta website. You can also call Marta..

ursula10
06-26-2009, 12:59 AM
Hey Lady Biker,
I&#39;m so sorry that happened to you. I know how you feel. I had to take my braids down early too. Did you complain to them about thae hair? I actually burned mine in front of them and it melted. She knew that mess was some plastic and tried to act crazy by saying , why would you even burn it? BECAUSE I KNEW IT WAS SOME BULL that&#39;s why. I went back and the straightened the hair for me, but I was still pissed because I work too hard for my money to give it away. Mushiya seemed very nice and said she would give me a good discounted price it I got my hair done again. I emailed to make an appointment and asked for the price with the discount and I also informed them that I wanted to buy my own hair. The new price was $351 ( a 10% discount) I don&#39;t know how they calculated that because I was told the hair they suppplied was $100 hence the $390 price for the total hair do. So, With me spending $200 on the hair I bought, they still planned to charge me an arm and a leg. I was like WTF? I don&#39;t think they discounted the "bad experience at all." I was told tha Bukky would have to do my hair (not Mushiya). It&#39;s a shame, they do great work, they just rip you off with the exorbitant prices and extremely poor sythetic hair that they try to pass off as human. So much for second chances. I wash my hands of this salon. It&#39;s definitely not worth it.

Bnstamps***
06-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Close ups
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo190/brwnbarbie1908/2009_0202random0003-1.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo190/brwnbarbie1908/2009_0202random0002-1.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo190/brwnbarbie1908/2009_0201random0003.jpg
[/b]

[size=5][i]

Hey yall...i was trying to find out how to do the city twist and one day I just tried to do them myself..they didnt come out how i wanted them but i love them anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi7uEL3refU

RUCreole
07-22-2009, 01:56 PM
WOW...I see the overall concensus is a NO GO for Salon Tres Belle! :unsure:

So what&#39;s new and happening? Any new salons popped up in the city yet? :blush:

BTW what happened to Yaffa&#39;s website? :huh:

Cinnamon42
07-22-2009, 05:07 PM
WOW...I see the overall concensus is a NO GO for Salon Tres Belle! :unsure:

So what&#39;s new and happening? Any new salons popped up in the city yet? :blush:

BTW what happened to Yaffa&#39;s website? :huh:
[/b]

Is the shop still open? I ran into Malik at the natural hair show, he said he was going back to DC.