PDA

View Full Version : Is It Safe To "blow Out" Natural Hair?

butterpuff
11-19-2008, 05:19 PM
I really want to blow out my hair!

Is this safe? and what is the best way to do this?

any tips or advice is welcomed

ccpalm
11-19-2008, 05:28 PM
If you are looking to "blow out" your natural hair with heat with a dryer or other heating tool just know that the use of heat to style your hair is not discussed or allowed on this hair board.

But what you'll probably find is that you'll get some really good suggestions on how to create a blow out by washing your hair, putting the hair in large twists or braids to dry and let out these twists or braids when dried. To maximize length some may suggest you also "band" your twists using cloth hair bands. This works well for me. Good luck.

coilycurly
11-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Hi OP,

I see you are pretty new here. Just so you know, Nappturality does not condone heat styling. It is a very hazardous option as you run a high risk of permanently altering your texture. I'm sure you don't want to lose your precious coils, kinks and curls! Also note that previous heat styling without damage doesn't mean anything. It could happen on any occasion.

Please refer to the Heat Archive above for anecdotes. Of course you are free to do as you like, but at least you should read up on the possible consequences.

The poster above has offered a good option for stretching your hair without heat. Good luck!

NoaTay
11-19-2008, 05:35 PM
You should check out The H.ot Comb & Blow Dry Archive (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showforum=53) located in this forum.

butterpuff
11-19-2008, 05:45 PM
wow i didnt know it was not allowed!

gee i only wanna do it for special occasions. will once or twice damage my hair?

my hair is so tightly coiled i may never ever see my true length!! not fair! :(

Hadasah
11-19-2008, 06:01 PM
You can do whatever you like, just know that it's not supposed to be spoken about here. There are other hair care forums to talk about this on. :D
But, if you want to see the length of your hair, you can always do braids.

jeniece
11-19-2008, 06:11 PM
my hair is so tightly coiled i may never ever see my true length!! not fair! :(
[/b]
I feel your pain. After I wash my hair I have a lot of shrinkage...maybe you can try a twist-out or braid-out to stretch your hair a bit.

amberdcox
11-19-2008, 06:16 PM
i thought the same thing (that I would never see the true length of my hair). but 1.8 years later, my twists hang nicely, and have cute little coilies at the end of them.

i think that people with tightly coiled hair have the most to loose from blowing their hair out. if your hair is tightly coiled, after you blow it out and it doesn't revert, you are left with stringy ends and tighter coils at your scalp-not cute!!

i like the analogy that someone used before: to fry food, you put grease in the pan and add heat. to fry hair, you put grease (or other moisturizer) on it and add heat!!

Whitley Gilbert
11-19-2008, 06:21 PM
gee i only wanna do it for special occasions. will once or twice damage my hair?
[/b]

Welcome to the site!

Yes, once seems be be all it takes. If you check the link given by NaoTay, then you'll see that it has happened to many people.

Anyway, there are a ton of lovely natural styles that you can wear on special occasions. You don't have to straighten your hair for special times. If you search any of the following words on this site , then you'll probably find some pretty inspirational threads: wedding, formal, updo, rollerset, professional.

Good luck!

^_^

alafond
11-19-2008, 06:24 PM
If you want to see your length you can also try a roller set. If you section your hair in ponytails first, it will help stretch your hair out some and keep your edges smooth. I usually do this when my hair is mostly dry (just moist from a butter or conditioner) so I don't have to use any heat. I twist the hair in the ponytails and then set the twists on rollers. Then I tie it up and go to bed and the next morning it's all curly and you can see your length better. I was really surprised the first time I did it because my nappy hair set on rollers looked almost the same as my relaxed hair used to and I didn't have to use any heat to accomplish it. If your hair is long enough (mine's only about 5-7 inches) you may be able to use bigger rollers and wrap it for a staighter look but I've never tried that...HTH :)

Napia Mia
11-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi there!
I wore afros all the time when I was a teen back in the day. If you want a bigger fro or puff, wash your hair and plait it up using your favorite oil. Let it air dry, take it down and finger fluff 'til your heart's content. Never did use heat to achieve a "blow out." Just know that you can't use any water on your hair (like any moisturizer that contains water as an ingredient) or your hair will begin to revert back to a nappier state.

Good luck!