PDA

View Full Version : EMERGENCY/911 POST PLEASE RESPOND IMMEDIATELY

MochaMom
01-25-2003, 02:43 AM
I am extremely :cry: , as I sit here typing this post. My 5yo has a very serious scalp condition that is breaking my heart. I need some serious suggestions/help/relief/younameit :!:
I know some of you may have heard of "Seborrhea" through studying natural and all of the books out there. As mentioned in another of my post, I have many of these books in my reference library. The way "No Lye" describes the condition, is exactly what she is suffering from; a production of scales that are much thicker than the ones found in the scalp for oily dandruff. Under these scales the scalp is infected by inflamed oil glands. This inflammation is caused by overstimulation and secretion from the sebaceous glands. We have seen two dermatologist over the past few years. At first, I thought they (white derm.) were plum crazy when they prescribed a medicated poo and told me to wash her hair everyday (this is when a sistah was livn' the lye and had no clue about our black, curly hair) and to not apply any oils or grease to her scalp. I started noticing these signs of her what I thought was dandruff, right around the time her "baby" hair began to transition into what she has today.
All of the "lingo" is all well and good, but what does all of this mean in lamens terms and how in God's name can I help her :?: Has anyone tried the "prescription" of oils "No Lye" has for the hair? Right now, I wash her hair atleast every 2-3 days. If you've seen my 'Freedom Family' Fotki album, you would see that this is alot to do, while two other children are clammering for my attention. For instance, I wash her hair at night and the next afternoon her scalp is white. If I don't arrest the situation, by day three her scalp has hard scales throughout and if picked they bleed. Poor baby can't keep a half-way decent hairdo 'cause she is always "itching her danger :o " (she says)
She has a decent diet. Ladies I just am at a complete lost. I don't even know of a way to style her hair so that it will be easier for us both when it comes time to rewash practically every other day. She is in tears and in pain from me trying to treat her scalp, not to mention her hair is very dry-looking, thick and extremely dense in the crown area (which is where the majority of her condition lyes).
H-E-L-P M-E P-L-E-A-S-E :cry:

afrikankween
01-25-2003, 09:09 AM
I am so sorry to hear the pain you and your baby are going through. My brother had this condition, but it finally cleared up. I know this may sound harsh, by why not go with a TWA for her. My dad kept my brothers hair cut extremely low so that it would be easier to get at his scalp.

LBellatrix
01-25-2003, 08:31 PM
My sister had this condition and I suggested that she use products with tea tree oil in them. She did and it seems to have helped. BUT...she's in her 30s. I don't know if tea tree oil is recommended for young children.

You might want to take her to a naturopath or an herbalist. Of course, make sure they're accredited in their field. If you don't want to go the alternative route, try to find a black dermatologist who might have a better cultural grasp on your situation.

Good luck... :(

LotsOfLocs
01-26-2003, 12:09 AM
I had Seborric deramtitis from my head to literally in between my toes. My WHOLE body was inflamed. Nothing was left out. I firt thought I had some type of body lice. The dermatologist gave me some ointment(cant remember the name), dove soap, and some Head and Shoulders shampoo. I have yet to have a serious outbreak like that again. I saw my white dermatologist about this.

Later my sebaceous glands in my scalp got clogged because oil got trapped. There was dints in my head. Excess of oil was causing parts of my scalp to sink in. A rash also started to form. I was given an ointment and antibiotics. And basically was told to never oil my scalp just my hair. I have never had a problem since. LEAVE THE OILS ALONE. Some peoples scalp creates enough oil and dont need an excesss.To much oil is already on the scalp and is getting clogged. What has the doctor given you? My problem has yet to come back. A Black dermatologist is who I saw about this.

Try not to worry. It is very common, you both will get thru this.

Sister1
01-26-2003, 02:15 PM
Mochamom:

I second everyone's emotion here that you seek the immedite care of a dermatologist for your daughter's sebeorrheic dermatitis. I agree that altenative treatments may be of good use for her, but in light of the pain you say she is in and the severity of problem, a board certified dermatologist would be best to start with first. Hope she feels better.

Medusa Negrita
01-27-2003, 09:27 PM
I have an idea - how about your own antiseptic/astringent? Use a cotton ball and sponge down her scalp with it.

I just recieved some essential oils in the mail today (lemongrass and ylang ylang) and I was looking for a guide to see their uses were and what I could do them. Now I have a homeopathy book and there's a basic recipe for ointment and you can use oitment and add essential oils to it, but I think a astringent would be better and make the head feel more cooling.

Here's where I got a recipe for homeopathic astringent (check under 'facial cleaning pads with t-tree oil)
http://www.mineralconnection.com/ttfacecare.htm
The ingredients are as follows.
Witch Hazel, *Organic Grain Alcohol, *Organic Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia), *Organic Calendula, *Orgainc Chamomile German, *Organic Lavender Spike, & *Organic Lemongrass Oils, Extracts of Chamomile, Goldenseal, Hawaiian White Ginger & Bladderwrack & Neem Oil.

I think I basic recipe could consist of half bottle of witch hazel, few (10?) drops each of T-Tree oil, peppermint oil, and lemongrass oil and a bit of camphor(?). Not sure about the alcohol or if you wanted to put in any more oils, but I chose these because they have antiseptic and cooling properties.

For a guide to essential oils, you can check here
http://www.candledance.com/EssenceOilGuide.html
http://www.aworldofaromatherapy.com/essent...l-oils-atoz.htm (http://www.aworldofaromatherapy.com/essential-oils-atoz.htm)

Oils for Symptoms
http://www.fragrant.demon.co.uk/symptoms.html#2

It makes sense not to use oil on her scalp because it can clog pores.

afronappy
01-27-2003, 11:22 PM
oh no! i'll pray 4 u...

seborrhea is also known as CRADLE CAP in babies/small kids (also appears in groin from diaper rash)

copied from http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/condition...0002B330452B%7D (http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/conditiondetail61.asp?X=1&WID=%7B29571CBA%2D040A%2D11D7%2D917F%2D0002B330452 B%7D) (there are banners on my website) with products AVAILABLE ONLINE:

Seborrhea is actually a hereditary problem where the skin begins to be produced too quickly. This is able to start anytime after people hit puberty. Part of the reason for this is the involvement of the sebaceous sweat glands in this condition (thus the name Seborrhea). I often describe this condition to patients as looking at it as if they had a "short circuit" in the way the skin was formed on the scalp, and sometimes the face. Periodically, and usually unpredictably, the skin starts reproducing itself faster than normal. When this happens, the extra skin can´t be shed innocuously, so the flakes appear. There is often an increase in inflammation, leading to itching as well. The overproduction of the sweat glands gives the scale a "greasy" texture. This happens at different frequencies for different individuals. The sheer unpredictability is often maddening for patients.

here's a dermatology product site on cradle cap/seborrhea which is common in those with OILY SCALPS or other ailments that make them prone to it:

http://www.dermatologistrx.com/seborrhea%20rx.htm
here's what the link tells you (but if you click the link you'll get more links to learn more info or buy products):

How Can I Treat Seborrhea and Dandruff?

Seborrhea, seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff are similar skin disorders that easily can be treated. Dandruff appears as scaling on the scalp without redness. Seborrhea is oiliness of the skin, especially of the scalp and face, with minimal redness or scaling. Seborrheic dermatitis is a red, scaly, itchy rash on the scalp, sides of the nose, eyebrows, eyelids, and the skin behind the ears and middle of the chest. Other areas, such as the navel (belly button) and skin folds under the arms, breasts, groin and buttocks, may also be involved. Seborrhiec dermatitis occurs in areas that have the highest concentration of sebaceous glands. A yeast-like organism may be important in aggravating seborrheic dermatitis.

Seborrheic Dermatitis can occur in infancy and is usually seen on the scalp and is called "cradle cap" or in the groin and is a form of diaper rash. Cradle cap usually clears without treatment by age 8 to 12 months. This may be due to the gradual disappearance of hormones passed from the mother to the child before birth.

Seborrheic dermatitis can also occur at other ages and is more common in people oily skin or hair, acne or psoriasis. Seborrheic dermatitis may also occur with other illnesses including Parkinson´s disease, AIDS, people in hospitals or nursing homes and those with immune system disorders appear to be more prone to this disorder. People with seborrheic dermatitis have no increased risk of other skin diseases. This condition does not progress to or cause skin cancer, no matter how long it remains untreated.

Treatment-Shampoos: Infants with ócradle capÇ can have their scalps shampooed with a mild shampoo. Or one can take a product like Neutrogena T/Sal Shampoo and make a 1/3 dilution and lightly shampoo the scalp. This will help work out the scaling.

Young adults and adults with seborrhea, seborrheic dermatitis, dandruff can be treated with nonprescription shampoos containing tar, zinc pyrithione, selenium sulfide, sulfur and/or salicylic acid.

Topical Steroids: Hydrocortisone 1% and Pramoxine 1% (Prax Lotion) are topical steroids available over the counter and can be used on the patches and scales of seborrhea. The best ways to use a topical steroid is twice a day for 2-3 days and then stop for several days. Note, everyday usage of a topical steroid may thin the skin and may cause small blood vessels to form on the skin.

Topical antifungals have also been shown to be helpful in seborrhea and Lotrimin and Lamisil can be used on scaling areas on the scalp, chest, and face or around the ears once or twice a day.

See your dermatologist if these symptoms do not improve and your Dermatologist maybe able to prescribe a stronger medicated shampoo, topical steroid or antifungal.

All products should be used as directed on the product container. Any product that causes irritation should be discontinued. The information provided at DermatologistRx.com is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a dermatologist or your physician.

~blessings

Monicurl
01-28-2003, 12:43 AM
Because all things related to the skin begin with what's goingo n inside, take a hard look at her diet/food intake. Having had some skin this or that all my life, I finally got relief when I altered my diet and began to take certain vitamins, minerals and herbs. Large increase in fluid intake of plain old water also made amazing changes for me.

Here's part of an article about this:

Seborrheic dermatitis, we now know, is caused by the yeast called Pityrosporum ovale, which also causes dandruff. In order to fight the yeast and keep the seborrheic dermatitis under control, you should eliminate yeast and yeast-promoting foods from your diet. That means giving up many popular foods, but sufferers find the sacrifice worth it. Taking acidophilus capsules also helps.

Don't expect the yeast avoidance diet to work immediately--it may take thirty days or so.

Keeping to a yeast-free diet will keep the condition under control, but I've found that my patients are really helped by using a prescription cream that 1 describe below.

NATURAL PRESCRIPTION FOR SEBORRHEIC DERMATITIS

Avoid all sugars and sweets, which promote yeast and make the condition worse.
Eliminate all foods and beverages that contain yeast such as bread and other baked goods, cheese, mushrooms, vinegar, soy sauce, fermented condiments such as olives and pickles, as well as all wines and alcoholic drinks.
Acidophilus: one capsule three times a day.
IN ADDITION: Ask your doctor to prescribe nystatin triamcinolone acetonide cream (sold under the name Mycolog cream) for you to help keep the condition under control.

source: http://alternative-medicine-and-health.com...sdermatitus.htm (http://alternative-medicine-and-health.com/conditions/sdermatitus.htm)

inthestars
01-29-2003, 11:17 AM
If the doctor says that your daughter's hair has to be washed everyday, then that is what you have to do. There are not any short cuts around it. You should also trim your daughter's hair to 6in, that way there is less hair in the way of the medicated shampoo.

Why not let your daughter learn to wash her own hair? It would be easier that way.

MochaMom
01-29-2003, 02:14 PM
I have received a wealth of helpful ideas and information from the community. I do wash my daughter's hair regularly (atleast every 2 days). If you read my post, this mindset was back when I had little knowledge of our hair. It has been about two years and I have gained so much more knowledge about the condition, our hair, the internet, etc. As far as cutting her hair to allow the medicated poo to penetrate her scalp is not an option. I have a very cooperative 5yo who allows me to wash her hair lying on the kitchen countertop and or in the shower. We sit down and I shampoo her scalp, NOT HER HAIR, in sections :!: The length of her hair is not the issue--it's her scalp. Yes doctor's are helpful in many ways because of their book knowledge, but I am a mother to three, who has the power of the Holy Spirit dwelling on the inside of me and I follow His leading. I was led to seek some advice from the women of Napp, and I have thanked them for it. 'Preciate your last minute words. :roll: