PDA

View Full Version : Good Cookware Set?

chachadiva
01-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Hi,

I'm moving in a month and I need to purchase all new cookware. Does anyone have any recommendations? Does anyone have the cookware they sell on QVC or HSN? Non-stick vs regular stainless steel?

I plan on doing a lot of home cooking as I'm trying to clean up my diet with fresh ingredients.

Thanks for any advice.

Poetic_Butterfly
01-19-2009, 07:11 PM
^_^ I think that Rachel Ray has a very nice cookware set on HSN or QVC!

Peace,
Rasta

carboncopysue
01-19-2009, 07:33 PM
I’m not a real cooking person (ramen or tuna helper is gormet to me lol), but I love my DH’s T-fal set for the cleaning. No matter what is cooked in there, I can pretty much get it off with a sponge. Sometimes I have to do a light srubbing with the green pad, but I’ve never had to use a brillo pad on it (plus, it’s not recommended).

DH is the chef, and he loves the set. He bought it when he was living on his own before we got married, and he says there’s some kind of guarantee where he can send a scratched pan back (although he hasn’t had to yet). They’re kinda expensive, but he got it on the hook up from one of his air force base buddies.

Sue.

CuckooPuffs
01-21-2009, 11:48 PM
I brought a Calphalon set, it's non-stick. The heat gets distributed evenly and they have a variety of pots and pants. But they are a bit on pricey side for a single pan or stock pot.

OHR
01-22-2009, 12:29 AM
I brought a Calphalon set, it's non-stick. The heat gets distributed evenly and they have a variety of pots and pants. But they are a bit on pricey side for a single pan or stock pot.
[/b]

CP,
You are so right...which is the same for La Creuset cookware. One small pot can set you back quite a bit. I got turned on to these when my nail tech sold me her late mom's set. You want to talk about cookwear that can withstand oven temps, can go from stovetop to oven without a problem, and whether you saute, simmer, boil or fry delivers each time. For the first time, I could cook my collard greens in a pot and know that they would come out tender and delicious. You can't get that with an ordinary pot!

You know, I've seen Calphalon and La Creuset at Marshalls on occasion....matter of fact I stopped by today, after work and saw small sauce pans and frying pans. Thing is, the tops and bottoms are sold seperately...grrrrr. OH!! also, I purchased another Calphalon santoku knife. Those knives are DA BOMB ($15.00 for a 7" knife) and a 14" silicone splatter screen for the La Creuset pan w/o a top.

angeliquej
01-22-2009, 04:57 AM
I have to agree with the Calphalon I have had my set for 8 years now and it stills looks and cooks as when I first bought it. I paid $200+ for mine and I got a six piece including tops and I am going to get another set soon.

chachadiva
01-22-2009, 06:23 PM
I have to agree with the Calphalon I have had my set for 8 years now and it stills looks and cooks as when I first bought it. I paid $200+ for mine and I got a six piece including tops and I am going to get another set soon.
[/b]

For all the Calphalon users, do you have the non-stick, the stainless steel, or the hard anodized. I think I'm leaning towards hard anodized.

angeliquej
01-22-2009, 07:04 PM
I have the hard anodized.

Nappy Neck
01-25-2009, 07:08 PM
For all the Calphalon users, do you have the non-stick, the stainless steel, or the hard anodized. I think I'm leaning towards hard anodized.
[/b]

Hard anodized.

CuckooPuffs
01-25-2009, 10:03 PM
I have the Calphalon set that's non-stick on interior and anodized on the outside...It can go in the oven...I tell you another thing I like cooking with is those black cast iron skillets...

Ebonique
01-25-2009, 10:22 PM
years ago, my mom bought a set of loose All Clad pans that were on sale at Marshall's. It's been at least a good 10 years and those pans are still going strong. I bought myself the Emeril set that's made by All Clad and they're still in good shape. All Clad is expensive compared to other brands but those pans last you forever. I'd catch them on sale at discount at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Kohls or something.

Oh, and Chantal pots are pretty good too. So is Le Creuset if you like cast iron.

sharynleigh
01-28-2009, 12:26 AM
My mom swears by Calphalon but I love my LeCreuset. I started collecting pieces about 20 years ago. They are wonderful for cooking big stews, baking and sauces. A little bleach and they look like new.

OHR
01-28-2009, 12:31 AM
My mom swears by Calphalon but I love my LeCreuset. I started collecting pieces about 20 years ago. They are wonderful for cooking big stews, baking and sauces. A little bleach and they look like new.
[/b]
Sharynleigh,
That really works?? I'll try that. The insides of one pot are kinda dark. Thanks!

anabwi
01-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Calphalon all the way!!! You can find them a bit cheaper at TJ Maxx, Ross, etc. if you don't mind not having matching sets. Also FoodNetwork website has them on sale 2-3 times a year.

[/b]

I have a mix of non-stick and stainless.

OHR
01-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Sharynleigh,
That really works?? I'll try that. The insides of one pot are kinda dark. Thanks!
[/b]

I soaked 3 pots today w/bleach & water. VOILA!!!! 2 of the 3 pots look really good. The 3rd one, not so much. It has more discoloration, so I'll try this again later. Sharynleigh, thanks again! Even DH was surprised as to the results!!

MissNic
02-03-2009, 03:51 PM
For those that use LeCreuset dont you find them heavy???or is it just me. Cos i struggle with them when they are empty so i can only imagine what they are like with piping hot food inside.
Thats why i opted for non-stick Tefal pan set they are light yet not too light so that food burns they distribrute the heat evenly and literal nothing sticks.....no matter what u cook it comes off easy!

OHR
02-04-2009, 12:13 AM
For those that use LeCreuset dont you find them heavy???or is it just me. Cos i struggle with them when they are empty so i can only imagine what they are like with piping hot food inside.
Thats why i opted for non-stick Tefal pan set they are light yet not too light so that food burns they distribrute the heat evenly and literal nothing sticks.....no matter what u cook it comes off easy!
[/b]

You do have a point. They are heavy to lift. I guess for me, the fact that I get great results from using them, is enough for me to continue to use them. When they get so heavy that they hurt to lift them, I'll give them to a much younger relative :P I"m not crazy about using non-stick cookware.

MissNic
02-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Ahhh I live on my own so it would just be to lift and carry them. I do like LeCreuset though i love the turquoise ones but the weight jus makes them not practical for me im a weakling i wouldnt be able to use them much.

marissasensei
02-04-2009, 07:07 PM
I have (and love) the Kirkland stainless steel set they sell at Costco.

I avoid nonstick cookware, except when I'm making eggs.

Ebonique
03-31-2009, 02:30 AM
I like nonstick cookware, but I hate when I forget to use wood/silicone utensils and scratch up the nonstick parts.

Do any of y'all ever use that silicone bakeware? How do y'all like it compared to metal?