PDA

View Full Version : what would your response be?

starchild
04-09-2003, 07:23 PM
i was in the breakroom talking with and employee and we started talking about christianity. Well, as most of you guys know, i have issues with the trinity. Well, here is my question.

Now, if Jesus is God and for salvation you need to confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Jesus Christ is Lord, so why would one have to profess Jesus, if he is already the Almighty? isn't it kind of redundant?

what do you all think. I would like to hear from all perspectives.

Ammee
04-10-2003, 04:39 AM
Some people believe that there is one almighty God but some people do not believe that there is Jesus Christ and also some people do not believe that Jesus is the son of God. So i guess that is where one has to confess that Jesus is Lord.

MariposaMorena08
04-10-2003, 12:48 PM
Hi, Starchild and Ammee!
There are a lot more people that have trouble with the Trinity than we think. Billy Graham himself, in the book The Evangelist, said that he prayed for God to help him accept the Trinity! Needless to say, you aren't alone in that. I am a born-again Christian, so my view is from that perspective. DISCLAIMER** I do not profess to know everything or that I am perfect or anything like that, but would like to offer what I do know to be true**

God is the Creator, the Spirit who created everything. He is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. Most "christians" (trying not to hop up on that soap box!) agree to that. The deviation comes here: After the fall of Adam and Eve, all of the people born on earth were born with a sinful nature. Contrary to what most people actually think, God has emotions and expresses them. One of those is grief. The Bible says in Genesis 6:5-8, that when God saw that humankind was growing more and more wicked he regretted that he had made us and was grieved in his heart. Having foreseen all of this, he knew that there would have to be a way to cleanse us from all of these wicked things that we were doing.

Jesus, although having always existed, came to earth to be the sacrifice for our sins. When you look in the Old Testament you see that in the Laws that God gave the Israelites, a sacrifice (blood) was always offered to God to represent the cleansing of their sins. Jesus was the fulfillment of the Law, offering his own blood in the stead of ours. Jesus, although He was God in the flesh, was susceptible to *all* the temptations that we face ( that would include sexual). Jesus was tempted but did not sin, which made him the most pure person to hve ever lived and the perfect person to pay our debts.

Some people reject Jesus and his role on earth because they reject the fact that we are all sinful by nature (even if we seem GOOD in our own eyes) and that we need a sacrifice to be offered for our sins who was Jesus. To me, Jesus is the embodiment of the compassion of God. If you reject this, then God and Jesus will seem to be redundant. The only way to God is through Jesus (believing in him). The Bible says that whoever tries to enter heaven another way is a thief and a robber. So to reject Jesus is to reject God. SOAP BOX: Contrary to popular belief, everybody ain't going to heaven. The Bible says that the end times, before Jesus returns, will be like it was in the days of Noah. Only a few escaped. No matter whether you go to church or not, make sure that you read the Bible for yourself and pray for wisdom and understanding with your whole heart. (Jumping down off of the soap box. Phew, this is getting to be a long email!! :shock: ) I don't think that God's "physical" existence matters as long as we accept who he is in all roles. I imagine it to be like a marriage. The Bible says that the man and woman are to become one. Although they are two separate entities, they have one purpose and one heart and collaborate to accomplish their purpose. Hey, read Colossians 2:1-10! (I was searching for another scripture but this is the one that cme to me.) I hope that helps! If not, feel free to post again or email me!!

:B-fly:

curlygirl
04-11-2003, 12:54 AM
I think it's about being a witness and making a public statement. I'm only guessing though. I believe in the trinity but I don't believe that people have to proclaim anything to/about Jesus to be Christian/saved/etc....

I have serious doubts that God is sitting up there expecting us to understand all the complexities of our spirituality in one fell swoop - or expecting all of us to believe the exact same thing the exact same way! :roll:

starchild
04-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Hi, Starchild and Ammee!
There are a lot more people that have trouble with the Trinity than we think. Billy Graham himself, in the book The Evangelist, said that he prayed for God to help him accept the Trinity! Needless to say, you aren't alone in that. I am a born-again Christian, so my view is from that perspective. DISCLAIMER** I do not profess to know everything or that I am perfect or anything like that, but would like to offer what I do know to be true**

God is the Creator, the Spirit who created everything. He is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. Most "christians" (trying not to hop up on that soap box!) agree to that. The deviation comes here: After the fall of Adam and Eve, all of the people born on earth were born with a sinful nature. Contrary to what most people actually think, God has emotions and expresses them. One of those is grief. The Bible says in Genesis 6:5-8, that when God saw that humankind was growing more and more wicked he regretted that he had made us and was grieved in his heart. Having foreseen all of this, he knew that there would have to be a way to cleanse us from all of these wicked things that we were doing.

Jesus, although having always existed, came to earth to be the sacrifice for our sins. When you look in the Old Testament you see that in the Laws that God gave the Israelites, a sacrifice (blood) was always offered to God to represent the cleansing of their sins. Jesus was the fulfillment of the Law, offering his own blood in the stead of ours. Jesus, although He was God in the flesh, was susceptible to *all* the temptations that we face ( that would include sexual). Jesus was tempted but did not sin, which made him the most pure person to hve ever lived and the perfect person to pay our debts.

Some people reject Jesus and his role on earth because they reject the fact that we are all sinful by nature (even if we seem GOOD in our own eyes) and that we need a sacrifice to be offered for our sins who was Jesus. To me, Jesus is the embodiment of the compassion of God. If you reject this, then God and Jesus will seem to be redundant. The only way to God is through Jesus (believing in him). The Bible says that whoever tries to enter heaven another way is a thief and a robber. So to reject Jesus is to reject God. SOAP BOX: Contrary to popular belief, everybody ain't going to heaven. The Bible says that the end times, before Jesus returns, will be like it was in the days of Noah. Only a few escaped. No matter whether you go to church or not, make sure that you read the Bible for yourself and pray for wisdom and understanding with your whole heart. (Jumping down off of the soap box. Phew, this is getting to be a long email!! :shock: ) I don't think that God's "physical" existence matters as long as we accept who he is in all roles. I imagine it to be like a marriage. The Bible says that the man and woman are to become one. Although they are two separate entities, they have one purpose and one heart and collaborate to accomplish their purpose. Hey, read Colossians 2:1-10! (I was searching for another scripture but this is the one that cme to me.) I hope that helps! If not, feel free to post again or email me!!

:B-fly:

thanks, the problem is that i don't read and maybe i should but it gets boring to me. I really like to read the gospels because it comforts me. my co-worker told me that i should pray and ask him to explain and show it to me. See, i know that i am not recieving cause i am asking the wrong ones ie not HIM. Thanks a bunch.

MariposaMorena08
04-11-2003, 04:13 PM
Starchild,
It's funny you say that! My husband and I were talking about that recently. It used to be when I heard that a prophet(ess) was coming in town that I would go see them and the whole time they were there I would be struggling to make myself known to them so I could receive "a word"! :lol: :lol: God had/is having to teach me that it's not in that person but in him.

I have issues about stuff like that anyway. When you ask people something and all they can say is "my pastor said..", there is a problem. You're supposed to study to show yourself approved. Same thing with other folks. People will give you the Bible according to them and sometimes, though well meaning, will miss God. You ask for yourself with an open heart (willing to accept what he speaks to you) then you won't miss. I have looked at all sorts of different religions, even paganism, even through I was raised to be a christian. Now I am a Christian in the truest sense...following Christ. Even if your church is led astray, with the pastor in it, if you follow Christ you most definately will be with him in heaven. I don't profess perfection but with God's help I am making my way towards being like Christ.

Reading: Girl, I know what you are talking about! Especially the King James Version. I do occassionally read from it (at church usually) but for daily reading I prefer the amplified version. It's closer to everyday language and keeps the translations close to the orginal meaning and intent of the writer. (Another loooong email! Sorry.) :oops:

BlackOnyx03
04-12-2003, 04:59 AM
Read this.... http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2002/002/1.28.html

FYI -- www.christianitytoday.com is a GREAT resource!

silvi
04-12-2003, 05:25 AM
MariposaMorena08, well said...

starchild
04-13-2003, 03:34 AM
thanks guys!

elleebeme5
04-13-2003, 12:45 PM
Now, if Jesus is God and for salvation you need to confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Jesus Christ is Lord, so why would one have to profess Jesus, if he is already the Almighty? isn't it kind of redundant?

Why do we have to profess? It shows faith and submission. Jesus is Lord but how many people believe it? How many people hear it and reject Him? He wants us to come to Him - hence, freewill.

MariposaMorena08
04-14-2003, 04:33 PM
Phew! It's nice to see such spiritually wise sisters in here! BlackOnyx03, you said some wonderful things in another thread (can't remember the name). You were talking about southern religion and I feel you! I'm in SC and see it all the time. I'm glad that you addressed that! You ask folks if they are saved and they say something about church. When they became synonymous (sp?) I do not know!