PDA

View Full Version : Slavery Has Got Me Stuck?

CoutureKitty
02-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Sis's please help. I swear my Stacker family side is near invisible. I am just trying to figure out where in the SC/GA area there were coming from. Just read the entire Freedman's Bureau records and I'm pooped but still wanting to know:

Will someone with some ancestry.com access or something please help me find out where my g-g-g-grandmother was coming from before settling in middle TN? Her name is Anna Stacker, black, born 1847/8, presumed born a slave, married a S. Dortch in Stewart Co, TN 1873.

Prob is she lists her birth place in two different places GA and SC (which I just found out touch one another AND Tennessee) in two different US censuses. We assume she was born the same place she was migrating from. But from - GA or SC?

The earliest listing I have of her is in 1870 Houston County TN census records as 22 years old with living with her family: Jimmy 55 a farmhand, Mary 52, William 30, Terry 15, Charity 16, Bud 14, Betty 12, Benjamin 10, Ada 8. Not sure whether she is one of Jimmy and Mary's kids or William's wife.

Maybe if can find earlier record of Jimmy it will list the family relations. Or maybe there is some record of William Stacker and it will list her as wife and her birthplace.

Anyone? Please? I cant stop obsessing.

Very important to know cause the same year of the census (1870) she had a kid-- and we dont know whose it is. Maybe William's? Did he die? Why did she up and marry Simon?--- It's like I'm caught in a soap opera :lol:

kitaboo_44
02-22-2009, 04:13 AM
I went thru a similiar situation. I am the first person in my family to attempt tracing my roots. With two names and a location I traced my ancestors back to slavery and got stuck <_< .

Once you get back to the slavery days it can be very confusing because sometimes peoples names get changed, they are relocated or you see people in the census that are living together and you assume they are relatives when they aren&#39;t. Often facts are written down wrong too so you kinda have to do your on math and add things up.

I wish I could help you but I have been stuck where you are now for almost a year.

As far as accessing ancestry.com records.. girl I sign up for the best membership they have and cancel it before the trial ends! But you have to use a different card each time lol my secret.. when you do this make sure you print out every document you come across that may be of some use to you. Just don&#39;t forget to cancel before your trials up.

And have you tried the GenForum at Genealogy.com? There you can make posts under surnames and either someone who may be looking for the same family may contact you or a volunteer genealogist (i guess thats what they are called) may offer to help you. In my case a year ago a nice guy helped me out; he was able to find me a few death certificates in Salt Lake City (where there is some huge research library) that ancestry.com didn&#39;t have.

I know it can be frustrating but don&#39;t give up.. if you do just take a break. I know when I was at the point where I was finding out all this new stuff there would be nights that I couldn&#39;t sleep!.. then when I would come to a dead end I would be pissssssed.

GOOD LUCK- hope I was some help to ya :)

Sis&#39;s please help. I swear my Stacker family side is near invisible. I am just trying to figure out where in the SC/GA area there were coming from. Just read the entire Freedman&#39;s Bureau records and I&#39;m pooped but still wanting to know:

Will someone with some ancestry.com access or something please help me find out where my g-g-g-grandmother was coming from before settling in middle TN? Her name is Anna Stacker, black, born 1847/8, presumed born a slave, married a S. Dortch in Stewart Co, TN 1873.

Prob is she lists her birth place in two different places GA and SC (which I just found out touch one another AND Tennessee) in two different US censuses. We assume she was born the same place she was migrating from. But from - GA or SC?

The earliest listing I have of her is in 1870 Houston County TN census records as 22 years old with living with her family: Jimmy 55 a farmhand, Mary 52, William 30, Terry 15, Charity 16, Bud 14, Betty 12, Benjamin 10, Ada 8. Not sure whether she is one of Jimmy and Mary&#39;s kids or William&#39;s wife.

Maybe if can find earlier record of Jimmy it will list the family relations. Or maybe there is some record of William Stacker and it will list her as wife and her birthplace.

Anyone? Please? I cant stop obsessing.

Very important to know cause the same year of the census (1870) she had a kid-- and we dont know whose it is. Maybe William&#39;s? Did he die? Why did she up and marry Simon?--- It&#39;s like I&#39;m caught in a soap opera :lol:
[/b]