PDA

View Full Version : the miracle of coconut oil

afrikankween
04-11-2003, 04:00 PM
how many of you are using pure coconut oil on your locs? that stuff is the best! makes them soft and have a little glimmer of sheen.

Nappalonia
04-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Good to know....that's next on my list of oils to try 8)

crazylikedatglue
04-12-2003, 02:12 AM
WHat brand would you reccomend ?

afrikankween
04-12-2003, 02:07 PM
this the where i got my oil from
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/Fixed.asp

its the coconut oil(76 degree)

mommytimes2
04-12-2003, 03:31 PM
I've tried it recently. Makes my locs smell nice and my kids love it!!! :D

frstdawn
04-14-2003, 05:10 PM
Hi Afrikankween! I am using the vigin oil de coco creme from natureswildchild.com. Maybe next time I will try fromnaturewithlove. How long have you been using it? By the way, I just read in another thread that this may lead to build up? What are your thoughts? Personally, I think it rinses out pretty cleanly. Wasnt coconut used to clean hair at some point pre-shampoo?

D

sus4n2
04-15-2003, 01:11 AM
I use pure coconut oil on my scalp and locs regularly. I also have a coconut oil mixture that I use consisting of
-100% pure coconut oil
-pure aloe vera gel
-my own essential oil blend (different ones sometimes)
I have it mixed up in a jar and love it! It moisturizes and brings my locs to life.

afrikankween
04-15-2003, 01:14 AM
Oh no, every good thing leaves buildup.

Twistie74
04-15-2003, 03:41 PM
how many of you are using pure coconut oil on your locs? that stuff is the best! makes them soft and have a little glimmer of sheen.

I DO!

It's the best thing ever - it's the only oil I use :)

luvnme1st
04-15-2003, 03:50 PM
this the where i got my oil from
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/Fixed.asp

its the coconut oil(76 degree)

I just placed my order! The customer service rep tried to convince me to buy the Monoi De Tahiti Oil, which is much more expensive. I'm glad that you listed the exact oil that you purchased, or I may have let him talk me into it! Thanks for the info!

toy
04-16-2003, 04:36 AM
i did post in another thread that i was concerned that coconut oil might lead to buildup in the locs, but that was pure conjecture on my part. if y'all aren't having any problems with it, cool! i might have to rethink using them on my own... :wink:

afrikankween
04-16-2003, 04:37 AM
I make sure mine is completely liquified. You can see right through it.

luvnme1st
04-18-2003, 02:47 PM

I can't believe how quickly I received my order! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love that oil! Although I can only get a very faint smell of coconut :( , I still love the shine it produces.

sistuhfriend
04-18-2003, 03:57 PM
Hello to all...
I'm new to the forum, although I introduced myself on the other message board (sticky... introductions (or something like that). I'm not sure if I need to re-introduce myself here in this forum.

Anyway, I have not used coconut oil on my locs. I do not like the smell of coconut, however I see where someone says that the smell is not very strong. I am open to try just about anything. Though I've been wearing locs for almost 10 years now, I STILL have yet to find the hair regement my locs long for.

I'm grateful for this forum and look forward to educating and entertaining myself along the way.
Blessings

aquababie19
04-18-2003, 04:11 PM
i think yall are gonna get my to try some cocoanut oil next. planning my next trip to the co-op.

afrikankween
04-19-2003, 05:52 AM
the coconut oil listed in the link has a very faint smell of coconut, its not the typical pina colada smell we are used to in commerical products.

luvnme I am glad you got your order quickly.

stillnappy
04-19-2003, 02:51 PM
[color=darkred]

I can't believe how quickly I received my order! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love that oil! Although I can only get a very faint smell of coconut :( , I still love the shine it produces.

you know you can get a little bottle of coconut scented oil and put a few drops in..i HAVE to do this because I love that tropical smell :)

aquababie19
04-20-2003, 02:14 AM
i went to the health food store...and they were out. i guess i'll have to go back next week.

aquababie19
05-16-2003, 11:00 PM
i just washed and did my retwist with a combination of the aloe vera gel and coconut oil, i am pleased. :D

bajanempress
05-16-2003, 11:39 PM
I've always hated the smell of coconut oil, as a child there were girls at school who used it and it had a very strong odour also it made the hair very lank but if it's workin for you all congrats, maybe this is not the same industrial strength stuff that was used when I was a child perhaps I'll try it one day.

Beryl
05-17-2003, 12:09 AM
I've only heard good things about pure coconut oil and keep some in the fridge for occasional use when I have time to thaw it out.

LocsOLuv
05-17-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by sistuhfriend@Apr 18 2003, 03:57 PM

Anyway, I have not used coconut oil on my locs. I do not like the smell of coconut, however I see where someone says that the smell is not very strong. I am open to try just about anything. Though I've been wearing locs for almost 10 years now, I STILL have yet to find the hair regement my locs long for.

I'm grateful for this forum and look forward to educating and entertaining myself along the way.
Blessings
Like Sistahfriend said, I have never used coconut oil either, but I am open to trying. I have yet to find the right regimen for my locs after five years, so I have empathy for what she said. I would like to welcome you to the the board Sistah. This forum has given me so much good advice since I started hanging out here. Blessings

afrikankween
05-17-2003, 10:31 PM
@luvnme how are you liking your coconut oil results thus far?

@sistahfriends/locsoluv- the coconut oils has a very very faint scent of coconut if at all. The smell we are used to associating coconut with is an industrially manufactured scent. This stuff doesnt smell like that at all.

I am still using the coconut oil and I am not having any problems with it.

Cia
05-18-2003, 12:58 PM
I finally finished all of my other oils and used my coconut oil for the first time yesterday. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for the info on the website. Peace

sb4life
05-21-2003, 05:46 PM
Hello,

I wanted to add a possible source for your coconut oil needs. www.olivetreesoaps.com sells virgin coconut oil and virgin coconut creme. Coconut oil and virgin coconut oil are from the same source, but are extracted from the coconut meat with different methods. Coconut Oil is usually expeller pressed which is a continuous feed method where oil is squeezed from the raw material in one step under high pressure. Virgin coconut oil is produced by a centrifuge and gravity setup.

The point is that the virgin coconut oil retains more of the characteristics of the coconut meat including a stronger coconut smell.

Olivetree Soaps sells all three (virgin coconut oil, virgin coconut creme, and regular coconut oil).
The creme is softer than the oils are at room temperature.

I make lotions and soaps and have found that Olive Tree Soaps to be a good supplier for small orders plus they have good prices on shea butter (use unrefined and cocoa butter)

Sam

sonshinescoils
06-11-2004, 06:38 AM
bumping for myself :)

kenyalikimmie
06-11-2004, 11:48 AM
8) A friend of mine brought me back pure coconut oil from Antigua. I have been using this on my son's hair and it is wonderful. My friend tells me that in his home they use coconut oil only to start the locing process..... Hmmm....

Much love.... :heart

nottyfreedom
06-11-2004, 12:49 PM
i use coconut oil on my locks. its lovely aint it? i use it for my skin as well. no complaints from me. its lite, but just the right amount of moisture and sheen. they say its the only oil that can mirror the natural sebum that our scalp produces.

notty

lencye
06-11-2004, 09:28 PM
I used a mixture of Coconut Oil and Almond Oil on my hair to tighten my locs and they came out looking FABULOUS! :bis

sonshinescoils
09-08-2004, 04:49 AM
been looking for this one, bumping :)