PDA

View Full Version : Don't Go To Bed With Your Hair Wet!

remilaku
03-20-2009, 06:35 AM
The reason I say this is because, I read on here that some of you spray your head before you go to bed or you go to bed with conditioner on your head or you go to bed doing a hot oil treatment. This is BAD! My mother used to do this all of the time. During the day her head would itch like fire! She went to the doctor and the doctor told her she had a sponge on the top of her head. It was from going to bed with her hair wet! Don't do it! You may think, I have been doing this for years and I don't have a problem. That is what people thought about perms! Now look at those same people. I am saying this because I wanted you all to know. I even tell my clients. Don't wash your hair before you go to bed. Don't go to bed with your hair wet!!

SaPhia
03-20-2009, 06:47 AM
Well, I could see that happening from always/frequently going to bed with wet hair....
But a couple times a month? :unsure:

GalaxyGirl2012
03-20-2009, 07:31 AM
yeah the worse thing i get from an occassional wet sleepy head is a wet pillow in the morning and still wet hair.

also i think the itchiness comes from the product on your scalp NOT the water on your scalp ;) there's a difference

yogibear
03-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Yeah it seems to me that the products are more the issue rather than just the wet hair. Sleeping with wet hair is the same to me as just letting my hair air dry during the day..the only difference is I'm asleep.

Thanks for the info though. I rarely sleep with any products like conditioner or hot oil treatments in my hair. If I do though..and notice an itchy...burning scalp...I'll know what the problem is.

Peace out!

FantasticVoyage
03-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Yeah, that thought used to bother me until I started reading up on products/ingredients and realizing even if I put some of this stuff on my head during the day, my head would itch, burn, etc...

I could see something similar happening if you're putting the wrong things on your head but we were submerged in water for 9 months without any ill effects ...I'm sure it's different but the basic thought would be what else, besides water, are we putting on and how we're going to bed...example, are we piling mega-cones, etc on our hair, smothering it, and not allowing freshness to flow through?...and then not cleaning it often enough?

Thanks for the "heads-up" because I do believe what you put on at night does make a difference!

LBellatrix
03-20-2009, 12:01 PM
I go to bed with damp twists almost every night and have never had a problem. But then again I don't have the kind of density that some nappies have...I can count on one hand the number of times my loose hair has stayed wet longer than 8 hours. A couple of times was when I put my hair in a puff while wet and the hair around the band never got to dry...the other times were when my products were too heavy or clingy or whatever.

Just like everything else, there is no one hard-and-fast rule about hair that applies to everyone. Thanks for the info though.

bhop13
03-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Like the other ladies said it has more to do with the products that people are using and not water. If I put the wrong product on wet hair and then let it air dry during the day my scalp will itch.

Scalp is still skin and you can still have allergic reactions to certain things just like you would on your face or arm.

I go to bed with wet head all the time...not everyday but pretty frequently. Wash and gos don't work for everyone everyday and I can't wear Celie braids or a tam to work for the braid out I want to wear. And when I am putting product on I make sure it's on my HAIR and not my SCALP...my scalp gets oily enough. And my hair is never soaking dripping wet...that seems like it might be a problem

xmusiqxnxlovex
03-20-2009, 12:14 PM
def.seems like something i need to avoid

ccpalm
03-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks for sharing this experience. It is something to consider and monitor for oneself. I occasionally wash and style my hair before going to bed and haven't had any bad experiences as yet; thank goodness.

OP, was your mother natural when this happened?

B_Phlyy
03-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Using the wrong products or not rinsing good products out well will make your hair itch, wet or dry, sleeping or awake. I co wash several times a week at night and have been doing so for years with no ill effects. Tis is something that works for me.

BlackAngelPlayah
03-20-2009, 07:11 PM
OK.. Nobody's gonna ask this.. what is a sponge? You mean like the ones in the ocean? :rolleyes: Yeah I know.. But my hair is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not blond! :P

:wub: Jen :wub:

LadyLibra
03-20-2009, 07:50 PM
i'm sorry OP... but sponges are salt-water marine life... how in God's name could it possibly survive on a human scalp? :unsure:

are you talking about fungus perhaps? i could see that although sleeping with wet hair doesn't cause that, but can create a nice breeding ground for it.

Hadasah
03-20-2009, 08:57 PM
What's a sponge? I didn't know there was a marine creature called a sponge... I was thinking about the one you wash dishes with.

Tierras
03-20-2009, 09:33 PM
OK.. Nobody's gonna ask this.. what is a sponge? You mean like the ones in the ocean? :rolleyes: Yeah I know.. But my hair is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not blond! :P

[/b]

I was gonna ask the same thing.. lol. but I was thinking maybe she meant.. soggy pore-y scalp? lol

remilaku
03-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Its a fungus. and I just talk to her on the phone and yes, it was from going to bed with her hair wet. also for you who say I do this all the time and have never had a problem. That is what some people say about perms. I did perms all of the time and never had a problem. If you see some one hit their head into a brick wall, you don't have to hit your head into the same wall to know that it hurt. you see what happens to other peoples hair with perms and you stop so your hair will never get like that. I stoped wetting my hair at night so I would not get a fungus either.

artistnexile
03-20-2009, 09:52 PM
I've heard that locs can form mildew if hair is still wet while sleeping. I usually wash my hair in the day and let i airdry throughout the day to makesure I don't crash on a wet head.

B_Phlyy
03-21-2009, 03:06 AM
Its a fungus. and I just talk to her on the phone and yes, it was from going to bed with her hair wet. also for you who say I do this all the time and have never had a problem. That is what some people say about perms. I did perms all of the time and never had a problem. If you see some one hit their head into a brick wall, you don't have to hit your head into the same wall to know that it hurt. you see what happens to other peoples hair with perms and you stop so your hair will never get like that. I stoped wetting my hair at night so I would not get a fungus either.
[/b]

I'll have to site sources later, but there is documented evidence that the scalp can NOT develop fungus from going to bed with wet hair. Maybe your mom had an existing condition and sleeping with wet hair exacerbated the condition, not caused it.

januaryjoy08
03-21-2009, 03:59 AM
creeps in... creeps out.

LadyLibra
03-21-2009, 05:16 AM
Well alright then... Sleeping with a wet scalp can cause fungus to grow if it's already present or passes on to the scalp from someone's hairbrush. so, i guess i could see that.

but then... i guess the idea of using Monistat on the scalp ain't so crazy then... It's an anti-fungal after all...

not that i care, i don't sleep with a wet scalp or use coochie cream on my head. :P

Soul Rebel
03-21-2009, 05:33 AM
well, your hair and scalp need time completely dry. So whether you wash it at night or during the day, the scalp needs time to dry. So if your scalp stays damp all the time, plus whatever products might be in use it could create a climate in which fungus could grow, sure.

helenhjones
03-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Using the wrong products or not rinsing good products out well will make your hair itch, wet or dry, sleeping or awake. I co wash several times a week at night and have been doing so for years with no ill effects. Tis is something that works for me.

I agreed, she could have had product buildup, and constantly adding water.

You beat me to the question. I think the doctor use this term, because she figure that is the only way to relate an idea of what it is.

i'm sorry OP... but sponges are salt-water marine life... how in God's name could it possibly survive on a human scalp? :unsure:

are you talking about fungus perhaps? i could see that although sleeping with wet hair doesn't cause that, but can create a nice breeding ground for it.

Yeah, I think that if the scalp is not clean, and more product is added with water, can cause problems.

I was gonna ask the same thing.. lol. but I was thinking maybe she meant.. soggy pore-y scalp? lol

OMG! Like when you wash dishes without gloves, and how your hands get soggy. Ugh!
I bet she was afraid.

Wet with what?
What is her daily regime?
Does she wash and rinse her hair nightly?
Was she using a liquid leave-in at bedtime?
Was she just cowashing and leaving some product in?
Is she doing a long term protective style with braids, and wetting them at night, or washing, what?
Or does she have locs, and leaving them wet at night, or with product?

I mean please give us some background.

And what was the medical diagnosis or term the doctor used in her medical statement. She should have the pink or yellow copy of the discharge. It should have diagnosis numbers, sometimes with alphas.

I know that it is a very scary thing for her. And let her know I wish her well.

I've heard that locs can form mildew if hair is still wet while sleeping. I usually wash my hair in the day and let i airdry throughout the day to makesure I don't crash on a wet head.

Yeah, I forget exactly where I was, in a braiding shop, or beauty shop, or something. I vaguely remember someone having mildrew, and they had alot of hair. I do remember being grossed out and not wanting to look at it. So I do not have a selective memory for it. But, I am going to reflect on it.

cuteazz1
03-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks Op,I have seen this(fungus) for myself.At the hospital I saw a patient with fungus and I myself was starting to grow some sort of bacteria in my braids when I was 16.Back then I wore braids(extensions) all the time and I would wash them and tie them up with a grocery bag....The Dr. told me that it was a NO-NO,but I can't remember if it was the washing at night or the bag........I do know that fungus/bacteria thrive in hot,moist,and dark environments.....so be careful everyone.

mymy
03-21-2009, 03:11 PM
I go to bed with damp twists almost every night and have never had a problem. But then again I don't have the kind of density that some nappies have...I can count on one hand the number of times my loose hair has stayed wet longer than 8 hours. A couple of times was when I put my hair in a puff while wet and the hair around the band never got to dry...the other times were when my products were too heavy or clingy or whatever.

Just like everything else, there is no one hard-and-fast rule about hair that applies to everyone. Thanks for the info though.
[/b]
I agree.

mymy
03-21-2009, 03:24 PM
[/b]
I do appreciate you letting us know about what happened to her and what caused her problem. I personally don't go to sleep with wet hair or baggy overnight because I don't like how it feels.
However, I don't think the comparison between perms and going to sleep with your hair wet/damp is a good one. Everyone is entitled to make their own decisions and if they weren't inclined to heed your advice with your first post, I doubt this one will change their minds. This forum is a buffet of advice, you can pick and choose what you take.

BlackAngelPlayah
03-21-2009, 05:21 PM
:shocker: I had no idea.. Well, yeah I know if your hair stays wet all the time it will grow fungus, mildew, other things unholy.. :P But the only people I know who would have to worry about going to bed with wet hair enough to get 'growths' are people with jheri curls. Or people who wash their hair every night.. Or use wet products on their hair and sleep with the products on their hair. And with this new 'shingling' method I've read so little about. :rolleyes: yeah, I don't research loose hair stuff much.. But it DID sound like a good idea for loose nappies until I read about this.

Does anyone here go to bed with wet hair on a regular basis? I ususally wash no later than 2:00 so it will be good and dry by the time I go to bed.

But this info may help some body who still sleeps with wet hair. :wub:

thefineprint
03-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Also her mom's scalp may have had product build up on it. I know when my hair is damp, if I have buildup on my scalp then I will get the itches and have to wash/clarify.

Coko727
03-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Thank you for this.

I learned this one the hard way. I used to go to bed with a wet head or wet twists....not any more!

I'm alright now, but due to that fungus, my hair is REALLY, REALLY thin around the edges and it fell out. I am recovering now, thank God. It really does itch like FIRE. Also, the fungus spread to the back of my ears, neck, the sides of my face and forehead.

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy!

--------------

The reason I say this is because, I read on here that some of you spray your head before you go to bed or you go to bed with conditioner on your head or you go to bed doing a hot oil treatment. This is BAD! My mother used to do this all of the time. During the day her head would itch like fire! She went to the doctor and the doctor told her she had a sponge on the top of her head. It was from going to bed with her hair wet! Don't do it! You may think, I have been doing this for years and I don't have a problem. That is what people thought about perms! Now look at those same people. I am saying this because I wanted you all to know. I even tell my clients. Don't wash your hair before you go to bed. Don't go to bed with your hair wet!!
[/b]

mstrina911
03-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Wow. This is definetely something to think about. I'll have to do a little more research before I stop going to bed with wet twists. I do it every so often and the only time I ever experienced an itchy scalp was when I tried the condish only method everyone is talking about. I feel that product buildup may have a role to play b/c it clogs your pores. Thanks for sharing!

LuaBonita
03-21-2009, 09:17 PM
as long as your scalp can breathe, you are fine. your scalp will be smothered when it is soaked, covered by wet thick hair, and against a thick pillow. you get the same effect if you are swimming for hours or you wear a cap (while sweating) for a long time

just let it breathe. ive personally never had an issue but i understand how other people could

Also her mom's scalp may have had product build up on it. I know when my hair is damp, if I have buildup on my scalp then I will get the itches and have to wash/clarify.
[/b]
oh gawd i HATE when this happens! it hasn't happened to me in months though

B_Phlyy
03-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Hair Myths
Sleeping with wet hair causes scalp fungus

FALSE: Scalp or fungal diseases can’t be caught from sleeping with wet scalps. Scalp infections require prior involvement with infected sources such as humans, tainted hair care tools or animals. Scalp fungus (tinea capitis) mainly affects children, whose immune systems make them more susceptible to skin infections.

Okay, I typed in "Can I get scalp fungus from sleeping with wet hair?" and "scalp fungus" , and though there were a variety of answers from various sources all came back to the resounding conclusion that sleeping with wet hair will not give you scalp fungus (slightly OT, many people think it will give you chronic migraines, which was also said to not be true).

The actual scientific term for scalp fungus is tinea capitis, more commonly known as ringworm. It has to be spread by skin to skin contact (so someone who has it has to touch your scalp or you have to use an infected tool such as a comb or brush on your hair). It's best to keep the area dry and treated, so again, if you already have it, sleeping with wet hair will make it worse, but not spontaneously cause it.

GalaxyGirl2012
03-21-2009, 09:24 PM
anyone else suspicious of the 1 post that says i too had a fungus ? :lol:

B_Phlyy
03-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks Op,I have seen this(fungus) for myself.At the hospital I saw a patient with fungus and I myself was starting to grow some sort of bacteria in my braids when I was 16.Back then I wore braids(extensions) all the time and I would wash them and tie them up with a grocery bag....The Dr. told me that it was a NO-NO,but I can't remember if it was the washing at night or the bag........I do know that fungus/bacteria thrive in hot,moist,and dark environments.....so be careful everyone.
[/b]

Do you remember if you used human hair or synthetic for your braid extensions? Because extensions with synthetic hair CAN get mold on them, but mold is not the same as fungus, and even then, I'm not sure mold would survive long enough to make it to the scalp to do any harm.

LuaBonita
03-21-2009, 09:26 PM
[/b]
not in all cases is it a fungus. it could be irritation due to suffocation, exposure to build up by an "opened" scalp (opened pores via water. this sucks!!), or bacteria/ mold (most likely yeast and not some crazy stuff :lol:)

B_Phlyy
03-21-2009, 09:30 PM
:shocker: I had no idea.. Well, yeah I know if your hair stays wet all the time it will grow fungus, mildew, other things unholy.. :P But the only people I know who would have to worry about going to bed with wet hair enough to get 'growths' are people with jheri curls. Or people who wash their hair every night.. Or use wet products on their hair and sleep with the products on their hair. And with this new 'shingling' method I've read so little about. :rolleyes: yeah, I don't research loose hair stuff much.. But it DID sound like a good idea for loose nappies until I read about this.

Does anyone here go to bed with wet hair on a regular basis? I ususally wash no later than 2:00 so it will be good and dry by the time I go to bed.

But this info may help some body who still sleeps with wet hair. :wub:

[/b]

More proof of the point that sleeping with wet hair can't cause scalp fungus. If it did, shouldn't legions of people in the 80s have gone bald or worse from having jheri curls? Because not only did they sleep with wet hair, they slept with hair that was wet from curl activator. And on top of that, some people never even took off their plastic caps. I would think those people would be prime candidates for fungus, but many of them were the ones who had the longest (and greasiest) hair.

[/b]

I peeped that too. :ninj:

mymy
03-21-2009, 09:52 PM
[/b]
You ain't right.

DesertAngel
03-21-2009, 10:05 PM
You can most def get fungus from wet hair/scalp if it's covered by plastic. You can get a fungus anywhere on your body that's not exposed to air, like your bra area (under the breast) in the summer. OP's post is just to inform.

Thanks for the info, OP. Hope your Mom's scalp is okay now.

lizzes
03-21-2009, 10:24 PM
[/b]

Yeah, I laughed when I saw that.

Coil.Kink.Napp - Do you have links to your sources?

B_Phlyy
03-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I laughed when I saw that.

Coil.Kink.Napp - Do you have links to your sources?
[/b]

No. Like I said, I just goggled the question and lots of stuff popped up and I didn't feel like listing. But just like I found the info, anyone can.

remilaku
03-21-2009, 10:50 PM
It was over a couple of years and yes it was just WATER! If you want your hair to fall out try it yourself for 1 whole year. Go to bed with wet hair and see what happens. Yes, your hair can smell, mold and get a fungus! It was just water! Nothing els!

afroknots11412
03-21-2009, 10:56 PM
see ya'll got me all paranoid and scared up in this piece now (for reals).

so it would not be wise for someone to do the whole head baggy method or prepoo overnight with a conditioning cap? (just asking)

remilaku
03-21-2009, 11:10 PM
The name for the fungus is Yeast.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote from coko727

Thank you for this.

I learned this one the hard way. I used to go to bed with a wet head or wet twists....not any more!

I'm alright now, but due to that fungus, my hair is REALLY, REALLY thin around the edges and it fell out. I am recovering now, thank God. It really does itch like FIRE. Also, the fungus spread to the back of my ears, neck, the sides of my face and forehead.

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
^^^^It happened to this person also!

bhop13
03-21-2009, 11:15 PM
An overgrowth of yeast can happen anywhere on your body and it doesn't take sleeping on a wet scalp to cause it. From what I remember reading a while ago many people have an overgrowth of yeast on their body and never know and a lot of times it comes from the foods we eat. Maybe sleeping on a wet scalp made it worse? But just because this is something your mom, 1 person, can't do that does not mean it doesn't work for every one else.

B_Phlyy
03-22-2009, 12:27 AM
It was over a couple of years and yes it was just WATER! If you want your hair to fall out try it yourself for 1 whole year. Go to bed with wet hair and see what happens. Yes, your hair can smell, mold and get a fungus! It was just water! Nothing els!
[/b]

Been there done that. For about 18 months actually and I've never had a problem. Not to mention the loads of other people on various sites of various ethnicities that manage to do it with no ill effects.

I'm sorry about whatever happened to your mom, but her wet hair at night alone was not the caused her problems. Not everything can work for everybody, but people should have facts in order to make informed decisions and that fact of the matter is that you can NOT get fungus from water alone.

remilaku
03-22-2009, 12:41 AM
^^^Let me tell you. I started to get the same thing she had. I know for a FACT, that you can. It may take longer for some people but it CAN happen. I was getting itchies like fire also. I was going to bed with wet hair and when she told me that she went to the doctor for it. and she told me she had a fungus for going to bed with wet hair, I stoped. I did not want it to escalate into a fungus. I stoped my problem by myself. I did not get a fungus because I stopped going to bed with wet hair!

You talk about loads of other people doing it with no ill affect. That is the same thing people say about perms, and we all know how bad those things are.

mymy
03-22-2009, 01:47 AM
OP, I agree and disagree with what you're saying. I went and did a search online and pulled a credible source. Indiana State Department of Health (http://www.in.gov/isdh/24266.htm)
Going to sleep with wet hair does not cause scalp fungus however it does create an environment where it can thrive if you acquired it. You can be exposed to ringworm of the scalp via direct skin to skin contact with another person, contact with personal items, or with a pet. The fungal infection would already have to be present before wet hair would be a factor. The article also tells you how to prevent ringworm and pertaining to water, that is to stay cool and dry when possible.

Another source: Medline Plus Medical Encyclopedia (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001439.htm#Causes,%20incidence,%20and%20risk%20fac tors) brought to you by the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health
states that "The fungi that cause ringworm thrive in warm, moist areas. Ringworm is more likely when you have frequent wetness (such as from sweating) and minor injuries to your skin, scalp, or nails."

Here is an overview (http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/ringworm-of-the-scalp-or-beard-topic-overview) on the subject from WebMD.

coilycurly
03-22-2009, 01:54 AM
I don't know the difference between fungi and mildew, but i have heard of several instances of people getting mildew in their hair by keeping it wet/damp for extended periods.

I'm paranoid about this. I wash my hair regularly. If I wash at night, out comes the Bounty and I twist it in smallish sections to air my scalp and speed up drying.

B_Phlyy
03-22-2009, 01:54 AM
^^^Let me tell you. I started to get the same thing she had. I know for a FACT, that you can. It may take longer for some people but it CAN happen. I was getting itchies like fire also. I was going to bed with wet hair and when she told me that she went to the doctor for it. and she told me she had a fungus for going to bed with wet hair, I stoped. I did not want it to escalate into a fungus. I stoped my problem by myself. I did not get a fungus because I stopped going to bed with wet hair!
You talk about loads of other people doing it with no ill affect. That is the same thing people say about perms, and we all know how bad those things are.
[/b]

Sorry, but since all evidence is to the contrary, I still say you can't get fungus from just wet hair. Also, since you said you started getting it and your mom had it, this makes me think that there maybe some genetic predisposition to something and the wet hair thing is just making it worse. Exposing already present symptoms is not the same as causing new ones.

Also, I have to ask, how does your hair get dry after you wash it? The reason I ask is because IMO, the only difference between sleeping with wet hair and letting your hair air dry all day is the fact that you're laying down. So if your scalp is getting fungus from being wet at night (I'm assuming this is when you sleep), then I would think that any time your scalp is wet for an extended period of time (i.e. washed and let air dry) then the situation would happen again. This is just me using logic btw.

As for your question about perms, I just have to say that I enjoy posting on NP, but my views on that subject would not be accepted here, so I don't post them. But if you would like to shoot me a PM, I would gladly tell you how I feel about that topic. And btw, comparing water to a re/laxer is not a good analogy. JMHO.

OP, I agree and disagree with what you're saying. I went and did a search online and pulled a credible source. Indiana State Department of Health (http://www.in.gov/isdh/24266.htm)
Going to sleep with wet hair does not cause scalp fungus however it does create an environment where it can thrive if you acquired it. You can be exposed to ringworm of the scalp via direct skin to skin contact with another person, contact with personal items, or with a pet. The fungal infection would already have to be present before wet hair would be a factor. The article also tells you how to prevent ringworm and pertaining to water, that is to stay cool and dry when possible.

Another source: Medline Plus Medical Encyclopedia (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001439.htm#Causes,%20incidence,%20and%20risk%20fac tors) brought to you by the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health
states that "The fungi that cause ringworm thrive in warm, moist areas. Ringworm is more likely when you have frequent wetness (such as from sweating) and minor injuries to your skin, scalp, or nails."

Here is an overview (http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/ringworm-of-the-scalp-or-beard-topic-overview) on the subject from WebMD.
[/b]

Man, I've made about 7 post in this thread and mymy summed up what I was saying in two little paragraphs.

remilaku
03-22-2009, 02:30 AM
My mother is a nurse and I think she would know what she is talking about when she talks! Over 35 years.

LadyLibra
03-22-2009, 03:03 AM
so... water causes yeast infections now... :unsure: OP, you are making it harder and harder to take you seriously.

if your mom is a nurse, shouldn't she have known this and NEVER gone to bed with wet ANYTHING?

Soul Rebel
03-22-2009, 03:09 AM
OK again, it's not the wet it's the lack of dry. the hair/scalp need time to fully dry. YES if you keep it moist all the time you're creating an environment for bacteria to flourish. Hence, the hair/scalp needs to fully dry. I've been doing overnight conditioning treatments for nearly 20 years. It cannot be said that doing so guarantees a fungus infection of the scalp.

EmpressRi
03-22-2009, 03:25 AM
I never have this problem

remilaku
03-22-2009, 03:34 AM
You should not go to bed with your hair wet at all! If showering in the morning is not an option you need to dry it before pulling it up and going to bed. You can get fungus on your scalp and itchy dandruff-like flakes from sleeping on wet hair whether it is tied back or not. And thick hair is the worst for that because you have more to trap the water in with. Please ladies do not do this because then you will have to get a prescription shampoo and if the skin on your scalp is broken and you get the fungus it can get worse!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found this on one site, I will try to find more. I am not saying that every one will get a fungus by doing this. I am saying some will.

But... why... take... that ... chance?

so... water causes yeast infections now... :unsure: OP, you are making it harder and harder to take you seriously.

if your mom is a nurse, shouldn't she have known this and NEVER gone to bed with wet ANYTHING?
[/b]

Nurses are human too. They make mistakes like eveybody els!

EmpressRi
03-22-2009, 03:37 AM
oh please. i've been doing this since my natural career and not ONCE have i had a problem with this. i don't have the option of washing my hair in the morning so i let it dry overnight. in fact...what the heck is the difference between your hair holding water during the day or at night? i could wash my hair early in the morn, and guess what, it would STILL be damp at the roots well into the next day.

i know you mean well, but this is a tad overzealous to say don't do it at all, especially when tons of ladies have been doing this for a LONG time and alas, no yeasty or fungus filled head.

mymy
03-22-2009, 04:00 AM
Sorry, but since all evidence is to the contrary, I still say you can't get fungus from just wet hair. Also, since you said you started getting it and your mom had it, this makes me think that there maybe some genetic predisposition to something and the wet hair thing is just making it worse. Exposing already present symptoms is not the same as causing new ones.

Also, I have to ask, how does your hair get dry after you wash it? The reason I ask is because IMO, the only difference between sleeping with wet hair and letting your hair air dry all day is the fact that you're laying down. So if your scalp is getting fungus from being wet at night (I'm assuming this is when you sleep), then I would think that any time your scalp is wet for an extended period of time (i.e. washed and let air dry) then the situation would happen again.

As for your question about perms, I just have to say that I enjoy posting on NP, but my views on that subject would not be accepted here, so I don't post them. But if you would like to shoot me a PM, I would gladly tell you how I feel about that topic. And btw, comparing water to a re/laxer is not a good analogy. JMHO.
[/b]

According to the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology (http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/fungus_infections.html) (AOCD), some people have a susceptibility to fungal infections and this susceptibility sometimes runs in families.

Also, ringworm of the scalp is described as epidemic in African American communities by the AOCD (source is same article referenced above) and in the article Allergy and Dematophytes (http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=544172) published in a journal for the American Society for Microbiology.
Just note that this condition is seen mainly in children, but also occurs in adults.

bhop13
03-22-2009, 04:13 AM
I just hennaed my hair and braided it up. It is damp now and will be dry sometime tomorrow and I'm hoping for he greatest braid out ever on Monday :).

OP...I really think you are reaching on this...

Niya
03-22-2009, 04:14 AM
:huh:

i've gone to be with wet hair at least once a week for years.

you really need to sit back and do more research before you continue on. or at least read the links and responses you're being given.

LadyEve
03-22-2009, 04:18 AM
My mother is a nurse and I think she would know what she is talking about when she talks! Over 35 years.
[/b]

I have never gone to bed to a wet head, and never can even if I wanted to. I suffer from terrible sinusitis so I would awake in the morning with terrible sinus headaches. I usually have to dry my hair thoroughly after washing, and keep my head covered during the winter. :)

remilaku
03-22-2009, 04:18 AM
Many years ago, my sister would alway put her hair in a high ponytail everyday when wet...I don't think I ever saw it totally dry. She did end up getting mold in her hair. It was awful and smelled bad as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw this on long hair community.

remilaku
03-22-2009, 04:31 AM
:huh:

i've gone to be with wet hair at least once a week for years.
you really need to sit back and do more research before you continue on. or at least read the links and responses you're being given.
[/b]

Please don't talk to me like I'm a little child! I am just telling you what happed to my mothers hair. I am a hair care profesional. I am just trying to warn people so it will not happen to them. It may not happen to everyone, but some people it will. Read one of my other posts. It happened to somone on this very site!

SaPhia
03-22-2009, 05:14 AM
Argument - Going to bed with wet hair will cause a fungal growth or create the perfect environment for a fungal growth on your head:

Possibility....yeah. It happened to OP's Mom
Probability....low. Many women here have attested to doing/having done this with no repercussion

How about we agree that it could happen, but probably won't.

bhop13
03-22-2009, 05:20 AM
Please don't talk to me like I'm a little child! I am just telling you what happed to my mothers hair. I am a hair care profesional. I am just trying to warn people so it will not happen to them. It may not happen to everyone, but some people it will. Read one of my other posts. It happened to somone on this very site!
[/b]

Shouldn't you have known what was going on with your mom's hair from the beginning if you're a hair care professional? Why didn't you mention her being a nurse or you being a hair care professional in the beginning? I think people might have been a little more receptive to the info if you'd given all of the details upfront.

MissEmbrya
03-22-2009, 05:26 AM
Fungal infections on the body can occur anywhere there is a continuous warm, moist environment with little/no ventilation. Going to bed with wet hair is not an issue. Frequently wet hair is. There is a difference.

Folks up in here talkin' bout Spongebob Squarepants is causing folks hair to fall out. :rolleyes:

[/b]

Obviously not.

Unless your mother is an M.D. with residency training in dermatology, she has no business dispensing information regarding scalp infections because she doesn't know what she's talking about...and neither do you.

[/b]

Being a hair care professional does not entitle you to any more information than the average person. (In fact, the average NP poster has more knowledge about healthy hair care practices than the average cosmetologist.) Cosmetologists are barely trained on how to deal with natural hair, and they certainly do not have the training of a dermatologist to discuss scalp infections.

You're too arrogant to admit that you're wrong.

curly_doo
03-22-2009, 05:51 AM
thanks Saphia...I agree it is time to put well enough to rest. This banter go on forever with no definitive resolve and maybe spur a few heightened emtional responses...lets agree to disagree

"can't we all just get along?"

Coko727
03-22-2009, 01:14 PM
GalaxyGirl2010 -- My post is real, no games here. I apologize for not introducing myself first. My name is Coko727 and I am a long time lurker on Nappturality. I have been on a Natural Hair journey for quite some time now. I can tell you that my hair type is nappy. I am just now coming to terms with my natural hair. When I saw the title of this thread, I felt compelled to respond because I experienced this and the OP's story was MY story, too. And, I do agree with one of the other responders who said that it was a "yeast overgrowth".

And for real, I wouldn't wish it on anyone!!

Please allow me to share some background information. I am a natural nappy. I decided to go natural after being the victim of a an overprocessed chemical fire cream back in 2006. Since I was afraid to do the BC, I transtioned with kinky twists (afro human hair), and I must admit --I didn't always take care of MY hair while I wore those twists and that's MY bad because I am also a licensed hairdresser who learned the theory on hair,etc. So, BIG egg in my face. :(

I was one of those people who would moisturize or wet my twists and scalp at night before bed. I even slept with conditioner on overnight from time-to-time, which unbeknowst to me at the time was just a breeding ground or sponge as described by the OP. And, trust me, I see the results every single day when I look at my hair. Not to mention that the type of "afro human" hair I wore REALLY rubbed me the wrong way -- all around my edges. So, on top of having to deal with this fungus, I had to deal (and am STILL dealing) with trying to thicken my edges as a result of a fungus and probably that rough hair just rubbing my edges out. My edges are horribly thin.

I learned my lesson from this ordeal and am trying to get my hair to grow. I was hoping to get some more insight on this and other natural hair topics because I haven't seen this issue addressed on other hair boards. I normally just read, but I had to come out of lurking on THIS topic.

Please don't think that I am some type of "board troll". I am just a sistah who is trying to fully embrace my natural hair and learn ALL that I can so that I can help the next one. Knowledge is power.

Until this chemical fire cream diaster, I didn't even know I HAD coily hair (I am in my 40s) and I am just in awe of my "hair awakening" I think natural hair is so pretty, powerful and distinctive! So far, along my natural hair journey, I learned a hard and painful lesson about my scalp, my hair, the condition of my hair and the impact as a result of haircare techniques, diet, lifestyle, etc. So, any help or insight that I can give or receive will help me to help others.

I'll try not to lurk so much and start posting more, but I do want to thank the OP for this information.

Peace & Blessings
Coko727

[/b]

dbboyd
03-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Thank you SO MUCH for posting this topic and let me tell you why.

I am the Director of animal welfare group that cares for "community" cats (strays, ferals, abandoned). I come across Ringworm so often, I don't even blink about it.

I stay healthy and keep my personal cats on a all natural, organic, natural diet, so their immunity is high and thus, they rarely contract the RR from the strays that I foster. I've had mild cases of it and slap on a vaginal yeast infection Athlete's foot cream and in 3 days, it's gone.

Lately, when I wash and condition my hair and SLEEP in my conditioner, I started noticing my scalp itched like crazy for days afterwards and now I know why! I was encouraging the growth of a mild fungal infection. I don't have dandruff and havn't seen a single flake on my scalp since I went natural oh, 10 years ago, so I knew it wasn't that.

I solved the issue by shampooing with Head and Shoulders Intense Treatment, which has a mild antifungal that will kill MILD cases.

I COMMONLY utilize Vaginal anti-fungal cream on cats that have it and it works like a charm.

Anyway, THANKS FOR SOLVING MY "Itchy scalp" MYSTERY. I really, really appreciate your post!

B_Phlyy
03-22-2009, 03:16 PM
You should not go to bed with your hair wet at all! If showering in the morning is not an option you need to dry it before pulling it up and going to bed. You can get fungus on your scalp and itchy dandruff-like flakes from sleeping on wet hair whether it is tied back or not. And thick hair is the worst for that because you have more to trap the water in with. Please ladies do not do this because then you will have to get a prescription shampoo and if the skin on your scalp is broken and you get the fungus it can get worse!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found this on one site, I will try to find more. I am not saying that every one will get a fungus by doing this. I am saying some will.

But... why... take... that ... chance?
Nurses are human too. They make mistakes like eveybody els!
[/b]

So if someone works the night shift and comes home in the morning, washes their hair and then goes to sleep (so they did wash in the morning as you suggested but they still go to sleep with wet hair) you're saying they will still get the scalp fungus. Because I asked a similar question earlier, but maybe you missed it, but I really would like to know what you think on this.

Many years ago, my sister would alway put her hair in a high ponytail everyday when wet...I don't think I ever saw it totally dry. She did end up getting mold in her hair. It was awful and smelled bad as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/b]

This is so funny that you posted this because this is the site I was thinking of in my earlier post when I said "various people of various ethnicities". I'm a member of that site and I read dozens of post and several blogs of people who wash nightly daily or participate in activities (such as swimming/diving/scuba diving) that require them to have constantly wet hair who have never experienced this problem. Not to mention the dozens of people who have grown waist length or longer hair using the damp bun method (again, the hair is constantly wet/damp). So yeah, one post about what happened to one person doesn't stand up to years of sound scientific reasoning and hundreds of thousands of people providing evidence to the contrary.

Last night I washed and DC'd my hair, applied moisturizer and oil, and tied up my hair and went to sleep with wet hair. This morning, I woke up, my hair was dry and soft and all intact on my head. I've been doing this for 18 months consistently and off and on all my life. But believe me, if something happens, you ladies at NP will be the first to know.

mymy
03-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Argument - Going to bed with wet hair will cause a fungal growth or create the perfect environment for a fungal growth on your head:

Possibility....yeah. It happened to OP's Mom
Probability....low. Many women here have attested to doing/having done this with no repercussion

How about we agree that it could happen, but probably won't.
[/b]
Thank you for stating this, I agree. I do believe that the probability for an adult acquiring ringworm is low because it mainly affects children. The only people that may want to think twice about having their hair wet for an extended period of time are those that have someone (especially a child) in their household with ringworm, those that have a weakened immune system (your body can't fight it off as well), those that share personal grooming tools, those that have had recurring ringworm infections (possible predisposition to them), and those that have or have contact with animals with ringworm (if you get ringworm, your pets need to be treated too in case they are carrying it or reinfection will occur). All of these things could increase your risk.

JaDazzle
03-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Fungus in hair? That's new to me. I always wash my hair in the morning before school and let it dry while I'm outside in the mornings waiting for the bus.

JiggaMan
03-22-2009, 04:19 PM
So is baggying a bad idea? Because my mom and sister baggie...

remilaku
03-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Thank you SO MUCH for posting this topic and let me tell you why.

I am the Director of animal welfare group that cares for "community" cats (strays, ferals, abandoned). I come across Ringworm so often, I don't even blink about it.

I stay healthy and keep my personal cats on a all natural, organic, natural diet, so their immunity is high and thus, they rarely contract the RR from the strays that I foster. I've had mild cases of it and slap on a vaginal yeast infection Athlete's foot cream and in 3 days, it's gone.

Lately, when I wash and condition my hair and SLEEP in my conditioner, I started noticing my scalp itched like crazy for days afterwards and now I know why! I was encouraging the growth of a mild fungal infection. I don't have dandruff and havn't seen a single flake on my scalp since I went natural oh, 10 years ago, so I knew it wasn't that.

I solved the issue by shampooing with Head and Shoulders Intense Treatment, which has a mild antifungal that will kill MILD cases.

I COMMONLY utilize Vaginal anti-fungal cream on cats that have it and it works like a charm.

Anyway, THANKS FOR SOLVING MY "Itchy scalp" MYSTERY. I really, really appreciate your post!
[/b]

You are very welcome!

B_Phlyy
03-22-2009, 04:52 PM
So is baggying a bad idea? Because my mom and sister baggie...
[/b]

As long as neither one of them have ringworm or around people who might give it to them. Otherwise they should be fine.

Soul Rebel
03-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Many years ago, my sister would alway put her hair in a high ponytail everyday when wet...I don't think I ever saw it totally dry.She did end up getting mold in her hair. It was awful and smelled bad as well.
[/b]

interesting... *goes back to look at my previous posts...*

latlove
03-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Maybe this only affects people with high ph balances. Some people could naturally be yeasty :unsure:

remilaku
03-23-2009, 01:57 AM
GalaxyGirl2010 -- My post is real, no games here. I apologize for not introducing myself first. My name is Coko727 and I am a long time lurker on Nappturality. I have been on a Natural Hair journey for quite some time now. I can tell you that my hair type is nappy. I am just now coming to terms with my natural hair. When I saw the title of this thread, I felt compelled to respond because I experienced this and the OP's story was MY story, too. And, I do agree with one of the other responders who said that it was a "yeast overgrowth".

And for real, I wouldn't wish it on anyone!!

Please allow me to share some background information. I am a natural nappy. I decided to go natural after being the victim of a an overprocessed chemical fire cream back in 2006. Since I was afraid to do the BC, I transtioned with kinky twists (afro human hair), and I must admit --I didn't always take care of MY hair while I wore those twists and that's MY bad because I am also a licensed hairdresser who learned the theory on hair,etc. So, BIG egg in my face. :(

I was one of those people who would moisturize or wet my twists and scalp at night before bed. I even slept with conditioner on overnight from time-to-time, which unbeknowst to me at the time was just a breeding ground or sponge as described by the OP. And, trust me, I see the results every single day when I look at my hair. Not to mention that the type of "afro human" hair I wore REALLY rubbed me the wrong way -- all around my edges. So, on top of having to deal with this fungus, I had to deal (and am STILL dealing) with trying to thicken my edges as a result of a fungus and probably that rough hair just rubbing my edges out. My edges are horribly thin.

I learned my lesson from this ordeal and am trying to get my hair to grow. I was hoping to get some more insight on this and other natural hair topics because I haven't seen this issue addressed on other hair boards. I normally just read, but I had to come out of lurking on THIS topic.

Please don't think that I am some type of "board troll". I am just a sistah who is trying to fully embrace my natural hair and learn ALL that I can so that I can help the next one. Knowledge is power.

Until this chemical fire cream diaster, I didn't even know I HAD coily hair (I am in my 40s) and I am just in awe of my "hair awakening" I think natural hair is so pretty, powerful and distinctive! So far, along my natural hair journey, I learned a hard and painful lesson about my scalp, my hair, the condition of my hair and the impact as a result of haircare techniques, diet, lifestyle, etc. So, any help or insight that I can give or receive will help me to help others.

I'll try not to lurk so much and start posting more, but I do want to thank the OP for this information.

Peace & Blessings
Coko727
[/b]

You are welcome.

chimac
03-23-2009, 02:44 AM
So, are we talking ringworm or yeast or something else? What was your mothers final diagnosis? I have heard of people getting scalp yeast infections and/or ringworm. As far as I know (and I admit to being no doctor), both are easily spread by towels and bed linens. So those may be the culprits and not the wet head/scalp. Say a person picks up a towel that is contaminated with yeast or ringworm and uses that towel to towel dry their head. Bam, they have yeast/ringworm in their head. The same yeast/ringworm would also live on their pillow cases, and we know most people don't change their pillow case nightly. If you are sleeping with fairly wet hair, I would imagine this could soak your pillow and spread the fungus even deeper into the pillow cover or stuffing material. If I am not mistaken both of these fungi can be transmitted this way. I don't think the wet hair or scalp is the culprit as so many people lay down with wet or damp hair every night with no problems. So maybe your warning should include using a clean towel and pillowcase daily, never borrowing a towel, or sleeping on strange pillows.

KrisKurl
03-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Maybe this only affects people with high ph balances. Some people could naturally be yeasty :unsure:
[/b]

I think this "alarm" only applies to certain vulnerable people, too - people whose pH balance (or pH imbalance) predisposes them to a larger number of certain "host" fungus and bacteria. I guess I can count myself as one of these vulnerable people. For years, I've been dealing with chronic seborrhea that varies in severity depending on the product I use. Some products exacerbate my symptoms more than others. I know that there are things that many people can do to their hair, or use on their hair - that I cannot. Not everyone is in the same boat as I am, or has the same body chemistry.

Sometimes, I get quite frustrated about my hair/scalp situation - because it seems that what works great for my hair, isn't so great for my scalp. Neutrogena's Triple Moisture Hair Mask (if I'm remembering the product-name correctly) made my hair look nice - but it gave my scalp horrible flaking. Same with Organic Root Stimulator's Olive Oil Penetrating Pack (although the flaking wasn't quite as bad as with the Neutrogena product). But I knew better than to get on NP inciting panic with exasperated warnings of, "Don't use Neutrogena's Triple Moisture Conditioner!!! It will give you a fungus, lead to seborrhea, and take your hair out!" - or - "Don't use conditioners with heavy 'cones! It will cause a fungus to grow on your head!" I knew not to do this - because not everyone is predisposed to the same scalp problems as I.

For the past several weeks - I've been wetting my hair with water as I twist at night (not every single night - but often enough). I, with the chronic seborrhea problems - haven't noticed a problem. That is - I didn't notice a problem until I had been using Aubrey Organics' conditioners for awhile. After using AO's conditioners for several weeks, the flaking problems returned - and I don't think wetting my hair at night helped matters. But this doesn't mean that wetting my hair at night is the problem - I think the problem has/had more to do with the "heavy" conditioning I was doing.

One of these days, I plan to add several drops of rosemary, and/or ylang ylang, and/or rosewood essential oils to my nightly "mist" water. Rosemary and Ylang Ylang essential oils are supposed to have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties - and they may help negate whatever danger I'm putting my scalp in by getting it wet every night. I've also heard/read the keeping your water in a certain pH range helps keep the seborrhea/dandruff-causing fungus at bay.

yogibear
03-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Daaaang.....I was wondering what was going on in here!

I guess anyone could take this info...even if you don't completely agree with it..and possibly help someone in the future. Maybe you will have a friend or family member who all of a sudden has the itchy, burning scalp and you can tell them to stop wearing their hair wet to bed (atleast until the problem is solved).

I think it's safe to say this doesn't happen to EVERYONE and it can't really be said that no one should EVER sleep with wet hair.

I'm guessing everyone knows alot more about fungi and the scalp after this topic so thanks OP.

I do occassionally sleep with wet hair and if I notice the signs of a fungus...atleast I will know what to do.

mymy
03-23-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm guessing everyone knows alot more about fungi and the scalp after this topic so thanks OP.
[/b]
I know that I do after researching it. I just hope everyone that is interested reads it and makes an informed decision for themselves.

bhop13
03-23-2009, 02:11 PM
@KrisKurl - Have you ever tried tea, lemon or ACV rinses for your scalp? During transition I would have these allergic reactions (or maybe my eczema was acting up) to some products and someone on here suggested a chamomile tea rinse and it helped SO much. My scalp was back to normal a few days later and I threw that products away.

Not saying this stuff helps every one but the tea, lemon and ACV rinses may be something to look into for your scalp.

NyckeiXXIV
03-23-2009, 02:28 PM
... I know there's been some wild banter, but I just want to say that I've learned quite a bit. As a loc'd head, trussss me, I learned that going to bed repeatedly with wet hair was not a good idea.
:dunno: Ladies, take what you can from the post and leave what you don't need. Seems like she's helped some folks...

ericamcintyre
03-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Phew!!! My head got itchy just reading this thread!!!

:(

Miss Dee Dee
03-23-2009, 07:57 PM
dang! i was gonna come up in here with my microbiology/molecular medicine degree(s) and drop some knowledge but y'all beat me to it!

helenhjones
03-27-2009, 08:32 PM
[/b]

heh, heh, heh heh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MzBNS2010
03-28-2009, 03:59 PM
There are a lot of prescription medications that have RARE side effects. This means there have been a LOW number of reported incidents of the side effect happening once using the drug. So, while the side effect can indeed happen, it is extremely rare. That's how I feel about fungus infections from wet hair. Fungus thrive in warm, moist and humid conditions which becomes the condition of your scalp if you wash your hair, put on a plastic cap and leave it on for a long time such as overnight. So, while fungus infections are able to occur like this, it is very, very, rare.

If you suspect you have a scalp fungal infection from sleeping with wet hair, use a product containing a good amount of sulfur but only if you are not allergic to sulfur. The sulfur will kill the fungus and then you will know that you may be one of the rare people who develop fungal infections from sleeping with wet hair! :)

I will never discredit anyone by saying they are completely wrong b/c I believe that just about anything is possible. I will just say that this is not something that occurs often. If you sleep with wet hair and have never had a problem, then you are probably fine especially if you don't do it much.

sonnysgirl11
03-28-2009, 07:09 PM
[/b]

The difference here is tying a grocery bag over your wet hair, not allowing it to dry at all. That would surely cause a fungus if left in too long without cleaning your hair, but it'd do the same thing during the day too if you left a plastic bag over your head for days or something.

Going to bed with wet hair doesn't mean the hair isn't drying out. You have to have the yeast already there; fungus doesn't just materialize out of water. And it takes some time for the fungus to accumulate, not just overnight.