PDA

View Full Version : Couchless Wonder

Poetic_Blue
03-30-2009, 02:57 AM
I'm getting ready to get my first apartment sans roommates. YAY! The problem is I'm really not in a position to buy a new couch :( and the idea of a used one makes my skin crawl (once heard a story about fleas). That leaves me in one of two places: I can ask my mom for help, or I can do a living room that doesn't have a couch. I'm pretty keen on the second of the two. Has anyone ever done this? If so what did you use for seating? I was thinking maybe making some large floor cushions and getting a low coffee table , but I'm not sure. :unsure: Any advice would be appreciated.

Poetic_Butterfly
03-30-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm getting ready to get my first apartment sans roommates. YAY! The problem is I'm really not in a position to buy a new couch :( and the idea of a used one makes my skin crawl (once heard a story about fleas). That leaves me in one of two places: I can ask my mom for help, or I can do a living room that doesn't have a couch. I'm pretty keen on the second of the two. Has anyone ever done this? If so what did you use for seating? I was thinking maybe making some large floor cushions and getting a low coffee table , but I'm not sure. :unsure: Any advice would be appreciated.
[/b]

I think that buying large floor cushions and a low coffee table would work ;) Also, you could buy a futon for the space. I bought a futon for my second apartment and some really cool African print covers! :wub:

Peace,
Rasta

Poetic_Blue
03-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Thank you Mommy Rasta. I think I'm a fan of the cushions because I've had futons before and they were always uncomfortable and the money it takes to get a good one, means I might as well get a couch lol.

Poetic_Butterfly
03-31-2009, 01:05 AM
Thank you Mommy Rasta. I think I'm a fan of the cushions because I've had futons before and they were always uncomfortable and the money it takes to get a good one, means I might as well get a couch lol.
[/b]

True! I think the cushions will be nice look for the place. :D I would check thrift stores and discount furniture stores for any couches that you could refurbish too! We found some cool little side tables at Target one day when I was a tableless wonder :lol:

Peace,
Rasta

Poetic_Blue
03-31-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm really cootie conscious so refurbing a couch is not the greatest idea for me... I just keep thinking about the girl who had to fumigate for fleas after getting a couch from somewhere lol. I'm also thinking I can get out my sewing maching and whip up those cushions myself... Since i can only make pillows.

Poetic_Butterfly
03-31-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm really cootie conscious so refurbing a couch is not the greatest idea for me... I just keep thinking about the girl who had to fumigate for fleas after getting a couch from somewhere lol. I'm also thinking I can get out my sewing maching and whip up those cushions myself... Since i can only make pillows.
[/b]

If you can make the cushions yourself than I would go that route! ;) I wonder if they have any furniture at Big Lots? I'm looking for a book shelf :D

Peace,
Rasta

Poetic_Blue
03-31-2009, 11:29 PM
Our BL has furniture, it also has yarn ;) in both cases I think it depends.

Mojito Chica
04-01-2009, 01:27 AM
:offtop: You know every time I see this thread I misread it as "Crouchless Wonder" and wonder "WTF?!?" :blush: :lol: Anyways, you could buy two cheap upright or adjustable (like the ones at pools) lawn chairs.

Poetic_Butterfly
04-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Our BL has furniture, it also has yarn ;) in both cases I think it depends.
[/b]

Our BL has furniture too! I would check there for any chairs for your space.

Peace,
Rasta

Poetic_Blue
04-01-2009, 03:24 AM
:offtop: You know every time I see this thread I misread it as "Crouchless Wonder" and wonder "WTF?!?" :blush: :lol: Anyways, you could buy two cheap upright or adjustable (like the ones at pools) lawn chairs.
[/b]

:unsure: lawn chairs you say? and *dead* at "Crouchless Wonder", better than "Crotchless Wonder" I guess.

Fuesha
04-07-2009, 05:08 PM
^^^ :lol: Just finance yourself a couch or sectional. That what i did when i moved into my first apt and was broke in grad school. got me a nice sectional. and financed that bad boy. 1 year and 0% interest for the first year. Its great just make sure you pay it off before the interest that was accuring over the month kicks in. Not only will you have a new comfy couch but you will also be building your credit.

Poetic_Blue
04-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Nope no financing, my credit is already in the toilet, due to a battle with depression that lead to some horrid choices. I'm trying to fix it now, and am living buy the rule of I can't afford it if I can't pay cash. I'd rather save up to buy a decent one than embarrass myself by having them try to run my credit for financing.

Mojito Chica
04-10-2009, 08:02 PM
:unsure: lawn chairs you say? and *dead* at "Crouchless Wonder", better than "Crotchless Wonder" I guess.
[/b]

"Crotchless Wonder" is what I meant to type :lol: I's got no typing or proofreading skills :rolleyes: :blush:

KB
04-10-2009, 09:24 PM
be inspired: here ya go! ^_^ (http://ymib.com/daily-inspiration/creative-living/bites/dining-low.html)

Poetic_Blue
04-10-2009, 09:47 PM
"Crotchless Wonder" is what I meant to type :lol: I's got no typing or proofreading skills :rolleyes: :blush:
[/b]

It's ok clearly I have the power of seeing deep into your mind (as it was when you typed) :lol: and KB your hitting the nail right on the head for what I was thinking. Some of those rooms where yummy.

Scrills
04-15-2009, 04:34 PM
You can use a twin sized air mattress on top of some rubbermaid storage containers. The air mattress help to distribute the weight as not to crush the containters. line the containers up against the wall, put the air mattress on top, toss on some throw pillows

Mattess: $15
Crate: $16-20 (4 at $4-5 each)
Covering: $10 for a twin sized sheet

ETA this is what I did for the (full-sized) bed in my guess room. People have slept on it with no problems. Plus, I have extra storage

Poetic_Blue
04-15-2009, 10:04 PM
ooo Scrills I never thought about that. I have a ton of those totes ( I use them for moving). Nice call :-)