PDA

View Full Version : Looking At Surnames?

Drea17
04-17-2009, 11:55 PM
I found it sad when my own parents didn't want to help me with my family tree. Its almost like they're ashamed. can any one tell me about these two names Dean and starnes.

I'm going to invest in a genealogy kit when I get the money.

carboncopysue
04-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Well, I can't help you on the specific names unless I get more info, but these tips might help:

Do you know of any older people (living or dead) in your family that might have been born before 1930? And maybe where they were born? If they are US born, the US census is available from 1930 snd before. I looked up the information on ancestry.com for my family and could trace them back to 1870.

Also, if you had any family members that passed away, they might be on the Social Security Death Index. Because of the Freedom of Information Act, you can request the social security application of a deceased person, which will show their parents' names and place of residence at the time of application.

I do most of my research on ancestry.com. If you have any questions, let me know.

Sue.

SweetHoneyLocs
08-24-2009, 12:20 PM
:blush: Silly question, but where do you request a social security application of a deceased person? i.e. website?

Well, I can't help you on the specific names unless I get more info, but these tips might help:

Do you know of any older people (living or dead) in your family that might have been born before 1930? And maybe where they were born? If they are US born, the US census is available from 1930 snd before. I looked up the information on ancestry.com for my family and could trace them back to 1870.

Also, if you had any family members that passed away, they might be on the Social Security Death Index. Because of the Freedom of Information Act, you can request the social security application of a deceased person, which will show their parents' names and place of residence at the time of application.

I do most of my research on ancestry.com. If you have any questions, let me know.

Sue.
[/b]