PDA

View Full Version : For Those Who Can Get More Than Two Days From A Twist Out...

AutumnBeauty
04-29-2009, 05:02 PM
I've been doing twist-outs since I BC and I can say that I truly love them! I do them with coconut water, my homemade conditioner mix and just plain ole water sealed with an EO. Either way I do them, or any product I use I CANNOT for the life of me get more than one day from a twist out.

Now let me explain, when I say one day, I mean that the day after I take down my twists my hair is banging and on point. That night I will put a satin bonnet on my hair in hopes of getting another day from my twist out and the next morning it looks......well not as defined...... If I try for a third day,I'm left with a frizzy fro :huh:

What method do you ladies, who are able to acheive more than one day, use when doing your twist-outs? Do you have a special way of doing your hair at night? Is it the actual twists that are different? Please do share because a sistahs arms are tired of twisting every single night to get that "fresh" look.

rhoglnn
04-29-2009, 05:04 PM
yeah, I wanna know too. :pop:

Oasis
04-29-2009, 05:36 PM
I tried Rustic Beauty&#39;s method from youtube that was posted here in another twistout thread and my twist out has never been so defined. It didn&#39;t fall the want I wanted <_< (they never do), but it&#39;s day 2 and usually I would have a chunky fro but it still looks great! I didn&#39;t retwist when I went to bed, I exercised, sweat like crazy, showered, and it still looks great.:yes:

I don&#39;t have the link but you can just search Rustic Beauty on yt.

AutumnBeauty
04-29-2009, 05:40 PM
I tried Rustic Beauty&#39;s method from youtube that was posted here in another twistout thread and my twist out has never been so defined. It didn&#39;t fall the want I wanted <_< (they never do), but it&#39;s day 2 and usually I would have a chunky fro but it still looks great! I didn&#39;t retwist when I went to bed, I exercised, sweat like crazy, showered, and it still looks great.:yes:

I don&#39;t have the link but you can just search Rustic Beauty on yt.
[/b]

Thanks ya :D ! I will look at that as soon as I get home

yogibear
04-29-2009, 05:52 PM
This was right on time....I am on a mission this week to get second day hair with my twist outs. I&#39;ve gotten second day hair before but it wasn&#39;t GREAT. I decided it looked "good enough." I don&#39;t want good enough though. I will definitely have to check out rustic beauty on youtube.

I am going to try a twist out tonight using some curls products I have. If I get second day hair...I will let you ladies know.

MzBNS2010
04-29-2009, 06:09 PM
I also did RusticBeauty&#39;s twistout method and it definitely lasts a lot longer than when I normally used to do twistouts. I just put on my bonnet and go to sleep.

mamaprincess
04-29-2009, 06:16 PM
I going to have to check on Rusticbeauty&#39;s twist-out method. I keep my twist outs for days though. I think moisture is the enemy of twist-outs so I tend to leave it dry and just where a bonnet to bed. I also don&#39;t mind fuzz, so maybe others would think I need to tighten my game up even though I feel I&#39;m rocking my old twist-outs. :lol:

Mojito Chica
04-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Well, I twist wet with shealoe, and sleep with a satin cap on a satin pillow case. That&#39;s all I got. Maybe make smaller twists? :dunno:

sjblot
04-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Maybe make smaller twists? :dunno:
[/b]

Yeah this is what I do to preserve a twistout. I usually do small twists on dry hair using unrefined shea butter. Then leave the twists in for about a week. My twistouts don&#39;t start getting chunky until after a week. I usually sleep with one of those satin shower-cap-looking things...it preserves my hair and reduces frizz.

100cacao
04-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Chocolatecoils you hair is a lot like mine so I will say in my experience that the bonnet mashes and frizzes hair . I have the best luck twisting wet with conditioner and then either doing big twists to bed with a scarf very very loose over the hair.

I had even better luck recently after looking at AfroIrish&#39;s nightime routine- the two ponytails. My length of hair required 4-5 ponytails just to keep my hair up and out of the way so it didn&#39;t get smooshed and frizzy at night. I actually like AfroIrish&#39;s way better because sometimes even the big twists can make for frizz due to the manipulation. Also like another poster said too much moisture like sweating from um how shall I say "vigorous" night time activities. I don&#39;t let that stop me though. My hair is not THAT serious. :lol:

cher79
04-29-2009, 10:11 PM
When I used to wear twistouts, my twists had been in for 2, 3 weeks. To make it last longer, I would braid the twistout into several sections every night.

law
04-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Since I rinse/wash with twists still in and I put a little Evoo and conditioner on them. After a week or two (when they are dry) I untwist them. The twist out is very defined. I use a scarf at night (sometimes satin and sometimes cotton). I can keep it that way for aprox four days (that is with my jogging). If I want to keep them longer I gently make a few big twists with them before I go to bed.

TikiB
04-30-2009, 11:07 AM
I twist on wet/damp hair using my shealoe mixture and sleep wearing a satin bonnet. I usually get about a week out of twists this way. If I wear the twist for a week I can get over a week out of a twist out before it starts to convert to a chunky fro. My other key is how I untwist. To take my twist down I just twist in the opposite direction and the strand separate without distubing the twist pattern. This twist out is about 4 days old.

http://images46.fotki.com/v1493/photos/9/1373659/7454419/SDC10408-vi.jpg

skittles04
04-30-2009, 11:35 AM
I would suggest that you:

*Make smaller twists
*Start w/ wet or damp hair
*Use some type of gel

&

If all else fails...embrace the frizz :P . I love the 4th & 5th days of a twist out. I usually have it pulled back some, though, so that it looks like a slightly more defined version of an afro puff.

SaPhia
04-30-2009, 11:43 AM

*Make smaller twists
*Use some type of gel

&

If all else fails...embrace the frizz :P . I love the 4th & 5th days of a twist out. I usually have it pulled back some, though, so that it looks like a slightly more defined version of an afro puff.
[/b]
co-signing on the small twists on wet hair.

Blutifully Human
04-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Then leave the twists in for about a week. [/b]

When I used to wear twistouts, my twists had been in for 2, 3 weeks.[/b]

Same here. I found that my twist outs lasted alot longer if I had my twists in for a pronlonged period of time. I think that gives the hair a better opportunity to hold the pattern.

*Make smaller twists
*Use some type of gel
[/b]

I think these are good tips as well. If I did decide to take a braid out or twist out apart after one night (very rare tho...I usually leave them in for at least one day), it was definitely needed to use a good amount of water, and especially some type of holding product. I used IC Fantasia Aloe Enriched Gel or Organic Root Stimulator Loc & Twist Gel (with some leave-in conditioner and oil as well), but plain aloe vera gel should work...and you could even try mixing a little honey in for an added hold factor.

mwedzi
04-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Smaller twists, done on damp to wet hair. Don&#39;t use products with a lot of humectants in them, don&#39;t moisturize with products with humectants or water in them (you can use a little oil), tie down at night. My twist outs this way can last a week, until I wash again.

tdot gyrl
04-30-2009, 06:41 PM
I use a silk scarf to tie my hair down at nite. Why in the morning my twist look old and squished. How can I twist to avoid puffy roots :angry:

ImNotMyHair
05-01-2009, 01:47 AM
Can someone post a link or PM Rustic beauty&#39;s method? Thanks :)

monili
05-01-2009, 04:34 AM
Yeah this is what I do to preserve a twistout. I usually do small twists on dry hair using unrefined shea butter. Then leave the twists in for about a week. My twistouts don&#39;t start getting chunky until after a week. I usually sleep with one of those satin shower-cap-looking things...it preserves my hair and reduces frizz.
[/b]

I twist on wet/damp hair using my shealoe mixture and sleep wearing a satin bonnet. I usually get about a week out of twists this way. If I wear the twist for a week I can get over a week out of a twist out before it starts to convert to a chunky fro. My other key is how I untwist. To take my twist down I just twist in the opposite direction and the strand separate without distubing the twist pattern. This twist out is about 4 days old.

http://images46.fotki.com/v1493/photos/9/1373659/7454419/SDC10408-vi.jpg
[/b]

I do something similar to both of these. I wash my hair in large twists, then retwist into smaller twists when it&#39;s damp or dry using a moisturizer sealed with vatika oil and/or shealoe. I leave them in for a week, spraying with my rosewater/glycerin spritz and sealing the ends with shea butter every few days. The night before I take them out I make sure that I spray and seal. In the morning I untwist them by twisting in the opposite direction. I always make sure my hands have some sort of oil (vatika or oyin brown sugar pomade) before I untwist, which gives it a shine boost. The first day I&#39;ll wear the twists unseperated, then my twistout gets bigger as the week goes on. I always sleep with my satin bonnet and in the morning I pull out each individual curl (just grab the end and pull out) with oiled hands to unflatten it and help it stay defined. My twistouts usually last at least a week.

I make sure to overload my twists with moisture when I first do them, then don&#39;t use any type of humectan or water after I take them out. Occasionally I&#39;ll retwist in large twists at night, twirling the ends with some sort of butter to seal the curl and moisturize.

natural06
05-01-2009, 06:39 AM
I tie my head at night and the next day add a little moisture put on a conditioneer cap and the steam from the shower revamps my twistout for me. I can go a week.

bellacranberry7
05-01-2009, 08:20 AM
For twistouts I always twist on wet hair spritzed with water/glycerin mix and then twisted with either a shea mix or qhemet&#39;s detangling ghee.

I probably do 15 to 20 medium or large twists and have been following the twistout method from Kimmaytube on YT. Here are the video links.

Doing the twistouts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkqBhpHoRrg)

How long they last (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBl4GFaox58)

I have cnapp hair that frizzes when you look at it :lol: but this method has helped alot with keeping the twistout definition. My own little tips I picked up from using this though is to separate the twist sections by pulling the accordion nearly straight and then gently dividing it into smaller sections. I find that if I try to separate it while crinkly the hairs want to grab onto each other more. Also I try not to spritz my hair with water or anything unless it needs it because it just brings on the frizz.

At night I tie on a large scarf, which flatens my hair into a dome shape, but in the morning I just thrash my head around like I&#39;m at rock concert and I&#39;m good to go.

Hope this helps.

Intellexual
05-01-2009, 09:08 AM
I would suggest that
[/b]
PTI, but your signature is epic. :wub:

Kinky_Curly_Bri_Nyc
05-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Can someone post a link or PM Rustic beauty&#39;s method? Thanks :)
[/b]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_kvbSDGwPs heres pt 3 0ut of 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvzSctd-Pnc pt 4 out of 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-KzbLBFTZo pt 5 out of 5 the results! and how she unravels them

now u gotta tell me how u did that hair style ur rocking in ur avatar! :wub: lol ^_^

OHR
05-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Thx, S B N!!!

I&#39;ll be trying her technique the next time I wash my hair (in 1 week). Those coils are amazing!!!

seek_first
05-02-2009, 12:36 AM
I use mousse.

hbac_goddess
05-02-2009, 05:00 AM
itwist on wet hair with shealoe or just whatever conditioning product i have then let dry completely and sleep with a satin bonet. when i wake up i fluff it all and go, although i cant understand why fros dont work the same way

ImNotMyHair
05-02-2009, 03:32 PM
now u gotta tell me how u did that hair style ur rocking in ur avatar! :wub: lol ^_^
[/b]

Thanks for posting the videos! Thanks for the compliment as well!
To get the style in my avatar, I did something that I don&#39;t do anymore (and something that is frowned upon on this site).
First, I blo.w dry.ed my hair. (I know better now. For this step you could probably stretch it with bantu-knots/braids/bands)
Then I parted my hair in half from ear to ear, then parted the front in half front to middle.
I flat twisted the 2 sections (using IC Fantasia Gel) in the front going to the side and the 2 sections in the back going straight back.
I let it dry completely and took it out :-)

I just remembered that I made an album with pictures at every step. If you start HERE (http://public.fotki.com/imnotmyha1r/my-hair/year-1/natural-hairstyles/img1811.html) you can see how I did it.

LargeMarge
05-02-2009, 04:11 PM
You may also want to re-examine your twisting technique. My sister does this special little twist on her twisting...
she does this wrap-around-her-finger then twist the strands together thing.She uses Jam Mega-Hold gel (only a small amount) on my damp hair.

So when I go to unravel them after about 2-3 weeks, they look like a defined coiled twist-out. I usually lasts about 3-4 days, depending on how much I sweat or if moisture get to it (shower steam, outdoor humidity, etc.)