PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly Gardens - Need Some Advice Please

mscocoface
05-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Do any of you ladies have any expertise in this? I started last year collecting some plants that would bring butterflies into my yard. I thought over the winter the plants I purchased were all gone for good, but they have sprouted up nicely this Spring.

I just purchased a passiflora which is aka passion flower or passion frut vine that I am going to put in a large pot and place a tresslis in it.

I was told that butterflies love fennel and parsely so I will be putting those in the planter and some other areas as well. All the the plants I am putting in planters because many of the plants are very prolific and could take over the garden.

I checked on line and saw that there is actual necter and feed as well as butterfly houses you can plant in your garden.

Is anyone on the board experienced with this type of gardening and can tell me some of the dos and dont's?

I just found a site that will tell you the types of butterflies in your area.
Butterfly Gardens (http://www.thebutterflysite.com/butt...-by-area.shtml)

Here are some of the plants and flowers and other things I am going to get or have already purchased to have a basic garden for butterflies

Milkweed plant (draws monarch butterflies) - Got this last year

Passion fruit vine (coral sea color) - Just purchased this

Parsley - will be planting this today

Butterfly house - not sure if this is necessary but it would look pretty in the garden

Fennel - need to purchase these seeds

Your help is most appreciated.

Debonaire
05-05-2009, 05:40 PM
I know there is literally a plant called a "Butterfly Bush" and it attracts butterflies. We have a few in our community garden. Also a small thing to note about Monarch Butterflies is that although they are attracted to Milk Weed plants if they don't migrate through your area you may not attract them :( - but there is still the possibility.

Thats all I've got on attracting butterflies though. I'll be sure to post if I find out more. Good luck!

mscocoface
05-05-2009, 05:46 PM
I know there is literally a plant called a "Butterfly Bush" and it attracts butterflies. We have a few in our community garden. Also a small thing to note about Monarch Butterflies is that although they are attracted to Milk Weed plants if they don't migrate through your area you may not attract them :( - but there is still the possibility.

Thats all I've got on attracting butterflies though. I'll be sure to post if I find out more. Good luck!
[/b]

Thanks for the reponse. I am off to go google buttefly bush. I will take any butterfly right now. I saw either a Monarch or the one that looks similar to the Monarch last year. So I am hoping I will get more.

Debonaire
05-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Ms.Cocoface how is everything going with the butterfly garden? I just read through a blog that suggested planting Oregano to attract butterflies. Once the Oregano matures the flowers are supposed to reign them in :).

tlwnurse
01-24-2010, 06:31 PM
I have a butterfly garden. I've had it for several years now. Most of the things in it are parenial so once something is added, your done. Each spring/summer it brings tons of butterflies but also other bugs so be forwarned. Its winter time so it looks pretty drab, but I'll try to remember what's in it.
Golden rod
Echenicia
Bladk eyed susan
Joe pye
several different sedum
Butter fly bush
Butterfly flower
Coreopsis several types
Phlox
Yarrow several colors
Thats all I can think of all the top of my head. An other updates to this discussion?

Nappilocs
01-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I was just reading about this... I just got a new home and I think I am more excited about having a garden than anything! Stay tuned for pics :-)