PDA

View Full Version : I Received My African Ancestry Test Results Back, And..

Tierras
05-13-2009, 03:10 AM
I am a descendant of the Masa people of Cameroon!!!! I am so excited, I look up Cameroon often, and I look up my people too, but..

I have had very little success on finding information about them.. :( VERY little. The book that they sent with my results have NOTHING about my people in it, only the very large groups.. infact, my people are the last listed in the part where it says "Other Groups Include.." .. and it saddens me.. the only thing I have come up with online is this video on YouTube, and it's just some people dancing, and I can't even be too sure it's my people

But here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90ChvIH_-Fo

I'm so darn interested in finding out because [b]I will go there to visit one day[b]. This is VERY important to me. It has been important since I found out about it and gathered the strength and funds to take the test. And now, after waiting so long and patiently, another dead end? I refuse.

Can someone help me? Is anyone else in my group? :( I even searched Nappturality .. nothing.. no results..

starchild
05-14-2009, 10:34 PM
welcome fellow Cameroonian sister!

I understand how you feel, I don't have much information on Tikar either, some of these groups have sub groups as well. Maybe you should get on the africanancestory forum, i recall some masas there.
From what I know the Masa's language is Afro-Asiatic and most have a nile valley deep ancestory too and their language is in the same family as the Hausa. They are really close to the Country of Chad. We have to remember that the present borders did not exist at that time and that is another reason why some people have countries that are overlapped.
Keep on researching, the test gives you a place to pin point on your mother, mother, mother's side but you have other ethinic groups too due to other grand parents. I will see what I can find and If I find something I will post it.

Congrats on your discovery!

starchild
05-14-2009, 11:44 PM
This is all that I could find, there is not much information. You may want to see if you can find a national or local Chad or Cameroon association here in USA and ask them about the history of the Massa people. Their history is in both Cameroon and Chad, the capital city of Chad borders near the northern part of Cameroon. From what I found the population is only about 250,000 and they are related to the mussey tribe too.

Tierras
05-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Thank you SO much, sister! I had actually since been to the AfAncestry site since making this thread, and I've found out alot of information, including the close relationship to Chad (those cities where most Masa occupy are RIGHT next to eachother by the Logone river).. Can't believe the population is so little, but.. 250,001 now! lol, plus my mama's side, of course.

And also, what do you mean it only pinpoint's my mother's, mother's, mother's side? does it not go for every single woman on my mom's side beginning with slavery and beyond, and all girls born from me? do you mean I should test my father's side too? I'm kind of .. reluctant to do that because I, nor my brothers, have ever had any close ties to him, he's a rolling stone. His side of the family laughed and didn't claim us whenever we were born, so yeah.. lol. That's why I'm only concerned with what I got from my Momma. I know this is probably too personal and probably too much information, but I'd rather not beat around the bush, sis!

starchild
05-20-2009, 01:44 AM
yes, you are correct the maternal side will give you your mother, grandmother and greatmother and so on but it will not give you your paternal-grandmother side and her mother so on and so on because you have 2 grandmothers, thus 2 maternal lineages through your parents, you only have one right now.

if you want to know your paternal father, grandfather and greatgrandfather then he or your brothers can do that.

good luck on your journey!~

Tierras
05-21-2009, 03:01 PM
I understand, thank you so much!!