PDA

View Full Version : My Hair Hates Conditioner...

SummerRuby
05-25-2009, 03:07 AM
I honestly think that my hair dislikes commercial conditioners. I've tried so many, natural and no where near natural, and each and every one has messed up my hair in some way--they have made my hair dry or, more commonly, so mushy and over-moisturized that I didn't even want to touch it for fear that it would fall out in clumps.

So, for now, I'm done with commercial conditioners. I use shampoo (a shampoo bar) since co-washing didn't work for me, but I'm thinking about replacing conditioner with a hair rinse for a while. Are there any simple (as in without a lot of ingredients and instructions/steps) recipes for conditioning hair rinses out there? I already know about apple cider vinegar, tea, and coffee rinses, but I don't think that any of those actually condition the hair.

I welcome advice and recipes (or websites with recipes), but please don&#39;t tell me how my hair will just shrivel up and die if I don&#39;t go out buy a bottle of conditioner right away or try to convince me of the beauty of your "holy grail" conditioner that works so well for you and performs something close to a miracle on your hair--please, I don&#39;t want to hear it. <_<

mymy
05-25-2009, 03:43 AM
I honestly think that my hair dislikes commercial conditioners. I&#39;ve tried so many, natural and no where near natural, and each and every one has messed up my hair in some way--they have made my hair dry or, more commonly, so mushy and over-moisturized that I didn&#39;t even want to touch it for fear that it would fall out in clumps.

So, for now, I&#39;m done with commercial conditioners. I use shampoo (a shampoo bar) since co-washing didn&#39;t work for me, but I&#39;m thinking about replacing conditioner with a hair rinse for a while. Are there any simple (as in without a lot of ingredients and instructions/steps) recipes for conditioning hair rinses out there? I already know about apple cider vinegar, tea, and coffee rinses, but I don&#39;t think that any of those actually condition the hair.

I welcome advice and recipes (or websites with recipes), but please don&#39;t tell me how my hair will just shrivel up and die if I don&#39;t go out buy a bottle of conditioner right away or try to convince me of the beauty of your "holy grail" conditioner that works so well for you and performs something close to a miracle on your hair--please, I don&#39;t want to hear it. <_<
[/b]
Not everyone&#39;s hair needs conditioner, so its okay not to use any. Since you are using a shampoo bar, its probably pretty mild and it isn&#39;t going to strip your hair. Conditioners are intended to put back what harsh shampoos take from your hair. Take a look in the Homemade Products forum for recipes for conditioners. I&#39;m sure that you&#39;ll find plenty to choose from.
One other thing to keep in mind is the moisture and protein balance of your hair. From your description (mushy hair), your hair was getting too much moisture from the conditioners that you were using and a protein conditioner would have helped to balance that out.

miss_ruty
05-25-2009, 03:46 AM
i was just gonna ask : do you NEED conditioner or do you just use it because you think you should ?

monappy28
05-25-2009, 12:05 PM
If your hair doesn&#39;t like it, then don&#39;t use it. I have a friend who has been natural for about 3 years and she doesn&#39;t use conditioner. She does hot oil treatments on her hair and please believe me when I say her hair is beautiful and grows like crazy!

FantasticVoyage
05-25-2009, 01:10 PM
When I use Dr Bronners shampoo, diluted in water, that usually makes my hair feel moisturized after rinsing, even before I go to my conditioner step. I think it may be the oils in the shampoo... HTH!

Napia Mia
05-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Most everyone beat me to it. But I&#39;ll tell ya that I haven&#39;t used conditioner in over a year, and my hair doesn&#39;t miss it. When I stopped using shampoo, I stopped using conditioner and so I just rinse my hair really well and go straight for the moisturizer.

You might try that.

Good luck!

Serbbral
05-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Just out of curiosity, Nappy Me, what do you use to wash your hair since you don&#39;t use shampoo or conditioner?

Napia Mia
05-26-2009, 01:12 AM
Just out of curiosity, Nappy Me, what do you use to wash your hair since you don&#39;t use shampoo or conditioner?
[/b]
Water.

Miss Concrete Jungle
05-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Water.
[/b]
Wow really? I definitely thought conditioner was a must. So what products do you use? Better yet, would I find it all in your fotki? I don&#39;t want to steal the OP&#39;s thunda :D

Napia Mia
05-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Wow really? I definitely thought conditioner was a must. So what products do you use? Better yet, would I find it all in your fotki? I don&#39;t want to steal the OP&#39;s thunda :D
[/b]
Just ProLine Lite Creme moisturizer. It&#39;s totally water soluable (unlike oils, butters and grease) and will rinse right out under a forceful stream of water. I concentrate on my scalp more than I do my hair. I rinse until the water runs clear. Don&#39;t rinse till your hair feels squeaky clean, because you definitely can still strip your hair using water only too.

Other products that will rinse right out include

Carefree curl moisturizer
Wave NuVeau curl moisturizers
Gel Activators like Right On
And other similar products

Been doing this for more than a year. Rinse and go STRAIGHT to the moisturizer. My hair and scalp are doing just fine and I save a whole lot of time.

One of these days I&#39;ma blog about this, but last year, I believe someone started a rinse only challenge. I never knew how the challenge turned out for most folks but if you do a search you might be able to find the thread that gets into this in a lot of detail.

Mz_SouL
05-26-2009, 07:36 PM
they have made my hair dry or, more commonly, so mushy and over-moisturized that I didn&#39;t even want to touch it for fear that it would fall out in clumps.

So, for now, I&#39;m done with commercial conditioners. I use shampoo (a shampoo bar) since co-washing didn&#39;t work for me, but I&#39;m thinking about replacing conditioner with a hair rinse for a while. Are there any simple (as in without a lot of ingredients and instructions/steps) recipes for conditioning hair rinses out there? I already know about apple cider vinegar, tea, and coffee rinses, but I don&#39;t think that any of those actually condition the hair.
[/b]

Everyone has pretty much beaten me to it. Honestly, it might be that you don&#39;t need a conditioner. I&#39;ve been using a shampoo bar for the past month and have found that I don&#39;t need to condition let alone deep condition after using the poo bar. My hair wasn&#39;t stripped and it was very soft. I only wash my hair and follow up with an acv rinse to restore my hair&#39;s ph. Then I wait for it to dry (might wear a wash n go). Once my hair is dry I style with my moisturizer. That&#39;s it. I know its sometimes hard to get away from convention thinking that you need xyz products and set routine to achieve healthy hair, but really only you can know what your hair needs.

There are a lot of homemade herbal tea rinses that condition the hair. You should do a search in the Homemade Hair Products (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showforum=7) board. Also check out How Much Is Really Necessary (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29497). Its an enlightening thread that helped me see that although there are routines that work for some, it doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;ll work for everyone else. Basically the jist is less=more. Simplicity is key for my hair :D . HTH!

drksista81
05-26-2009, 11:57 PM
This was definitely a good topic, since becoming natural and doing cowashes, my hair has become dryer and dryer. At first my conditioners worked great and my hair was soft, now im fighting dryness with glycerin and water daily. I am going to try the rinse and moisturize method you ladys mentioned.

Napia Mia
05-27-2009, 02:20 PM
This was definitely a good topic, since becoming natural and doing cowashes, my hair has become dryer and dryer. At first my conditioners worked great and my hair was soft, now im fighting dryness with glycerin and water daily. I am going to try the rinse and moisturize method you ladys mentioned.
[/b]
Before you do so, you might want to clarify your hair first to get rid of any build up you might have. Then moisturize really well. Then you could start your rinse only routine.

Miss Concrete Jungle
05-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks NappyMe for the info!

BlackAngelPlayah
05-29-2009, 06:42 PM
When I was relaxed, Cream of Nature Conditioning shampoo use to make my hair feel like that. :wub: I use to love that shampoo, but since I wanted to lock I didn&#39;t look for it anymore. I didn&#39;t mind that &#39;mushy&#39; feeling at all. :lol: Even with locks, I WISH my hair would be overly soft. :unsure:

But, anyway.. I&#39;ve read about balancing your moisture and protein out a little. Sometimes some people can get too much moisture and not enough protein.. Or the other way round.

:wub: Jen :wub:

nubianbaby
05-29-2009, 07:56 PM
OMG. No condish? mmmm thats something to really to think about. Thanks ladies

Immaculette
05-29-2009, 11:03 PM
I honestly think that my hair dislikes commercial conditioners. I&#39;ve tried so many, natural and no where near natural, and each and every one has messed up my hair in some way--they have made my hair dry or, more commonly, so mushy and over-moisturized that I didn&#39;t even want to touch it for fear that it would fall out in clumps.

[/b]

You probably don&#39;t need conditioner. Try washing with a shampoo that moisturizes like Motions shampoo and conditioner or a shampoo that is a shampoo and conditioner or a humectant shampoo. I can see how differently everyone hair is. My hair loves conditioner and I really don&#39;t have to put anything in it after I condition.

Most everyone beat me to it. But I&#39;ll tell ya that I haven&#39;t used conditioner in over a year, and my hair doesn&#39;t miss it. When I stopped using shampoo, I stopped using conditioner and so I just rinse my hair really well and go straight for the moisturizer.

You might try that.

Good luck!
[/b]

Your hair is soooo different. The more I read nappturality the more I discover. My hair loves to be wash and I have the opposite effect of what most black women say about too frequent washing. I have to wash my hair or it will dry and break. My hair does hate shampoo that strips or dry so I use Motions shampoo. Do you get dandruff from not washing your hair?

LillyBBBW
05-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Try using a conditioner that doesn&#39;t have any silicones in it. Conditioners always messed up my hair too till I started avoiding that ingredient. Almost all of them have a &#39;cone of some sort in it except Alberto VO5 which consequently is more like a creme rinse. Try the Mango Smoothie.

gilroygal
05-30-2009, 01:09 AM
To the OP, I included a section in my essay (on the blog in my sig) about why I don&#39;t feel that I NEED conditioner. Granted, I have since added it back into my routine, but I STILL don&#39;t think it does anything for me other than give me slip to get out extra hair due to the fact that I don&#39;t COMB my hair. EVER. With that said, I&#39;m STILL not sure that I NEED it because the moisturizer that I use has GREAT slip and I can probably clear out shed hair at the moisturizing step. I am not EVEN going to say that going without conditioner will have ill effects on your hair because personally, I haven&#39;t seen any GRAND effects from using it. ;)

Immaculette
05-30-2009, 02:18 AM
Try using a conditioner that doesn&#39;t have any silicones in it. Conditioners always messed up my hair too till I started avoiding that ingredient. Almost all of them have a &#39;cone of some sort in it except Alberto VO5 which consequently is more like a creme rinse. Try the Mango Smoothie.
[/b]

This is what I am talking about the difference in napptural hair. My hair doesn&#39;t have a problem with motions conditioner which has silicone in it. I also used a serum that is silicone based and when I flat ironed my hair it worked well. People have to keep trying to until the find what their hair like.

Jaqz
05-30-2009, 09:35 PM

[/b]

Shea butter. Since using shea butter to seal my hair, I rarely need commercial conditioners post wash. It keeps my hair from being completely stripped no matter what cleanser I am using and it "conditions" my hair when I leave it in for the week. I have read that shea is a natural "conditioner". I do still use a deep "treatment" on my hair (aka deep conditioner) about once every week to two weeks since it softens after clarifying (once or twice a month) and prepares my hair for my moisturizers, but I don&#39;t really need a weekly conditioner. I also use a thick conditioner to weigh my hair down when I want to wear my fro, but again this is optional, for styling purposes, and shea butter replaces it when I don&#39;t want to use conditioner. Lastly, I use a leave-in conditioner (underneath my sealers) which are basically moisturizers, just terminology preference I guess. All this to say that if you don&#39;t have a place for it in your routine and your hair doesn&#39;t care for it, then there shouldn&#39;t be a problem leaving commercial conditioners out. Especially if you use gentle cleansers like shampoo bars, castile soap (dr. bronners leaves my hair feeling moisturized too!), water, or sudzing conditioners (better than basic co-washes imo) then your hair should be able to get by with lighter conditioners. Some other conditioners in addition to shea butter are burdock root, slippery elm, and marshmallow root. You can purchase the herb and/or powder forms at Whole Foods or other health food stores online, make a paste or boil the herbs in water and do a hair mask or tea rinse.

Ebonyeyz28
05-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Saying "amen" to everyone&#39;s comment about how this is more proof that you have to find out what works for your hair and your hair only! Personally, my hair loves conditioners but, lately, I have been having problems with my hair being dry and brittle no matter what I do! As usual, I came to Nappturality to research the problem and, after hours of reading, searching, etc., I was pretty comfortable with the idea that my hair was experiencing protein overload so I switched to a routine that focuses more on moisturizing and, voila, my hair is back to its soft, beautiful self. The whole point of that story was to tell you that your hair just might change over time so just be prepared to stay in tune with it so you&#39;ll be the first to know what it needs and, in the meantime, enjoy your no conditioner routine! :D

helenhjones
06-02-2009, 03:47 PM
I remember as a child my hair thrived with water, Crown Royal grease, and plaits. Had long plaits. In the 1950&#39;s to 1960&#39;s no conditioner was use on my hair. When I was 14 years old, we used Clairol&#39;s Hair so New to comb naps more easily. That bottle would empty fast. :lol:

For a year I have not been using a deep conditioner. I have stated that I would use a DC in various challenges I entered, but, finding out later it was not necessary. I still co-wash maybe once a month to every 2 months. The products I use does not cause buildup nor dandruff.

I see what Yassylane mean by not having to junk her hair with alot of product, and procedures.

Napia Mia
06-12-2009, 08:55 PM
You probably don&#39;t need conditioner. Try washing with a shampoo that moisturizes like Motions shampoo and conditioner or a shampoo that is a shampoo and conditioner or a humectant shampoo. I can see how differently everyone hair is. My hair loves conditioner and I really don&#39;t have to put anything in it after I condition.
Your hair is soooo different. The more I read nappturality the more I discover. My hair loves to be wash and I have the opposite effect of what most black women say about too frequent washing. I have to wash my hair or it will dry and break. My hair does hate shampoo that strips or dry so I use Motions shampoo. Do you get dandruff from not washing your hair?
[/b]
Ha! So different from what? Whom? I don&#39;t think so. My hair isn&#39;t different, my method for cleansing it is different. And perhaps this is just semantics, I do wash my hair, I just don&#39;t use shampoo...just water.

And nope, I don&#39;t suffer from dandruff or anything else.

mymy
06-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Ha! So different from what? Whom? I don&#39;t think so. My hair isn&#39;t different, my method for cleansing it is different. And perhaps this is just semantics, I do wash my hair, I just don&#39;t use shampoo...just water.

And nope, I don&#39;t suffer from dandruff or anything else.
[/b]
NappyMe, thank you for saying this. It is just semantics. You are washing your hair, you just aren&#39;t using shampoo, soap, conditioner, or anything else when you do it. Water and friction can do a good job too. Its not going to be for everyone, but it can work.

MsMiamiLady
06-13-2009, 08:31 PM
i definitely want to try the rinse and moisturize method... is there a challenge pertaing to this method?

Napia Mia
06-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Hi Mely,

Here&#39;s a link to that challenge thread. It&#39;s old and apparently abandoned. I think the original poster (OP) reported her findings but I have no clue how the challenge turned out for others. So if you wanna try this, I&#39;d say just go for it and don&#39;t rely on any challenge.

As I reread some of the posts in that thread, I swear folks tended to make their routines harder than it needed to be. I don&#39;t know why it&#39;s so hard to understand. You simply use water soluable moisturizers, and on an as needed basis, rinse till the water runs clear. At the same time, use your fingernails to to gently lift debris from your scalp under a forceful stream of water. This will get your hair and scalp suffiently clean with out striping either one. If you rinse tooo long can can dry out your scalp and strip your hair (it&#39;ll feel squeaky clean), and therefore, defeat the whole purpose of this routine.

If you have any questions about my routine beyoud this, feel free to p.m. me.

Good luck!

Samii2004
06-16-2009, 04:23 AM
Hi Mely,

Here&#39;s a link to that challenge thread. It&#39;s old and apparently abandoned. I think the original poster (OP) reported her findings but I have no clue how the challenge turned out for others. So if you wanna try this, I&#39;d say just go for it and don&#39;t rely on any challenge.

As I reread some of the posts in that thread, I swear folks tended to make their routines harder than it needed to be. I don&#39;t know why it&#39;s so hard to understand. You simply use water soluable moisturizers, and on an as needed basis, rinse till the water runs clear. At the same time, use your fingernails to to gently lift debris from your scalp under a forceful stream of water. This will get your hair and scalp suffiently clean with out striping either one. If you rinse tooo long can can dry out your scalp and strip your hair (it&#39;ll feel squeaky clean), and therefore, defeat the whole purpose of this routine.

If you have any questions about my routine beyoud this, feel free to p.m. me.

Good luck!
[/b]

Now thats what I get for not logging on some days, I missed a whole section on the rinse method.. ^_^ Thanks for sharing this NappyMe

luma
06-17-2009, 05:06 AM
I am too new of a natural to give you mater- of- fact advice on this subject. But I have seen some natural women leave conditioners on for too long(like leaving a 5-15min conditioners on overnight). this can make the hair too soft and prone to breakage. There is suche a thing as overconditioning