PDA

View Full Version : Question About Individual Braids.

mstrina911
05-30-2009, 03:47 PM
I've been in a bit of a hair rut. Yesterday my neice did my hair in small individual braids. I thought I'd finally be able to show off some of my length, but my hair just spiral curled. Its okay b/c eventually I was gonna rod it, but I am trying to find out how this happenned. When I did some test braids they were straight. I think it must be the way she braids, but people keep telling me its my hair texture. What do yall think?

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i226/mstrina911/IMGP0490.jpg

Cerendipity
05-30-2009, 04:17 PM
I put in some mini box braids on monday and I have done them in the past as well. My hair does the same thing , its just the texture of your hair. I sleep on mine and when I wake up it looks like I put them on rollers. IT even curls further because of course I co wash and then apply a leave in and seal the ends.

buttercup
05-30-2009, 04:39 PM
My hair is braided in skinny, tight braids right now, and my hair really curls towards the ends of the braids. I also think it is due to the ultra curly hair texture.

DaBlackLady
05-30-2009, 06:01 PM
ITA with everyone here. When I did my first box braids set, I had to put beads in my hair to weigh them down because they were curling straight up. I was Serena Williams for 3 weeks.

iLoveBlu3
05-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Im gonna agree that it is texture. No matter if I do my braids on wet, dry, or stretched dry hair my ends curl. I wouldnt stress bout it.

GalaxyGirl2012
05-30-2009, 07:06 PM
you could try making the sections bigger. that should help counteract some of the coiliness.

Keonsmommy
05-30-2009, 08:10 PM
I think it has alot to do with how the braids are done. Sometimes mine lay straight, other times they curl up alot. I have noticed that the left side is always curled more than the right, so that leads me to believe it's more with the way I braid.

If you think it's due to texture, I would suggest stretching the hair first. . .like doing some big braids or twists a few days before to stretch the hair out before you try to do the small braids.

Personally I think your braids look really cute curled up!

Kayin
05-30-2009, 09:29 PM
As your hair gets longer the coiling may cease to be an issue. I used to wear my hair in single braids that were chin length or longer and only the very ends/tips of the braid might curl. My sister's hair (shoulder length unstretched) was like this as well.

ETA - I also like the look of your braids all curled up. I think I may try this style myself this weekend.

Nessia12
05-30-2009, 11:40 PM
I think its texture because my hair does the same thing.

miss_ruty
05-31-2009, 07:30 AM
I think its texture because my hair does the same thing.
[/b]
me too. i stopped doing braids because they always curled up like that...

monappy28
05-31-2009, 12:06 PM
It's definitely the texture!

Napia Mia
05-31-2009, 04:08 PM
I too vote texture. I did some large plaits and the curled up like Pippy Longstocking. I made them smaller same thing. I think it's one of the reasons that black mamas have such an affinity for putting barrettes all over their children's hair. Aside from being adornments, they serve a functional use of holding the braids down so there not sticking up all over their child's head.

On my smaller box braids, I ended up pin curling them at night so that they wouldn't be sticking up.

bhop13
05-31-2009, 09:25 PM
I think it's your texture. Mines did this the very first time I put in braids but they haven't really done it sense unless I rinse them right after doing them. Now they tend to stay pretty straight unless I rod them.