PDA

View Full Version : Okay Soo I'm Confused

niicole83
06-03-2009, 05:40 PM
I did a search and a few of the threads/topics I found still really didnt answer this question; aside from using a blow dryer, is there another way to stretch the hair?

since my journey began last year, I've only had it stretched once and it was via a blow dryer. Is there an alternative? Is stretching good for the hair either way you do it?

Just curious

Lady Xi
06-03-2009, 05:46 PM
if ur hair is long enough you can let it dry in twists or braids

ETA: I also came up with an idea the other day when I was playing with my hair.... U know those metal hair clips that looks like litte barrets (when you fold them up they pop open and when you bend them down they snapped shut) Welp I'm yet to try it.. BUT maybe parting the hair horizontally and putting the clips in while the hair is moist...doing several layers..then leave them into dry...and it makes those pretty wave crimps.

yogibear
06-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Along with what NuNapz said...I usually put my hair in twists after washing and let it dry over night in order to stretch it.

I don't know if stretching is "good" for the hair (as in your hair will benefit from it) but I don't think you will damage it unless you use a flat.iron or too much heat blow drying.

masoesa
06-03-2009, 06:39 PM
You can also twist your hair and then braid the twists. I found out that this really stretches my hair since my Twists shrink.

Keonsmommy
06-03-2009, 06:43 PM
I use braids or twists to stretch my hair. I would stay away from the blow dryer, that will eventually lead to heat damage. I know some members have had success with banding, though it's never really worked for me. I've even heard of a few people using rollersets as a way to stretch.

red_980
06-03-2009, 06:51 PM
if ur hair is long enough you can let it dry in twists or braids

ETA: I also came up with an idea the other day when I was playing with my hair.... U know those metal hair clips that looks like litte barrets (when you fold them up they pop open and when you bend them down they snapped shut) Welp I'm yet to try it.. BUT maybe parting the hair horizontally and putting the clips in while the hair is moist...doing several layers..then leave them into dry...and it makes those pretty wave crimps.
[/b]

Yep. I've stretched my hair with the "banding" method. I detangled my hair and applied moisturizer to my hair. Then, on each section of hair, I put ponytail holders all the down to the end. I looked like pinhead from Hellraiser LOL. Anyway, I let it dry that way and removed the holders.

Make sure you detangle and moisturize before putting on the holders
Don't use hair accessories that will break your hair like metal ones (some people have issues using the cotton holders...they absorbed all of the moisture and let the hair dry)
Try use the elastic ones like the ouchless holders, I used the cotton ones at least I think they are cotton :blush:.

My hair in bands...
http://images20.fotki.com/v220/photos/1/1336897/7089008/JanFeb2009007-vi.jpg

After removing the bands...
http://images24.fotki.com/v799/photos/1/1336897/7089008/JanFeb2009010-vi.jpg

niicole83
06-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Yep. I've stretched my hair with the "banding" method. I detangled my hair and applied moisturizer to my hair. Then, on each section of hair, I put ponytail holders all the down to the end. I looked like pinhead from Hellraiser LOL. Anyway, I let it dry that way and removed the holders.

Make sure you detangle and moisturize before putting on the holders
Don't use hair accessories that will break your hair like metal ones (some people have issues using the cotton holders...they absorbed all of the moisture and let the hair dry)
Try use the elastic ones like the ouchless holders, I used the cotton ones at least I think they are cotton :blush:.

My hair in bands...
http://images20.fotki.com/v220/photos/1/1336897/7089008/JanFeb2009007-vi.jpg

After removing the bands...
http://images24.fotki.com/v799/photos/1/1336897/7089008/JanFeb2009010-vi.jpg
[/b]

How long did you leave your bands in?

Karibana
06-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I have used rollersets to stretch my hair while it's air drying for a curly 'fro. And right now I'm wearing my hair in flatwists because of my scooter's helmet and my hair is always stretched when
I undo them to wash my hair.

Stretching your hair will not damage in itself. As usual it's the manipulation (say if you retwist your hair every night to maintain your curly 'fro) that can do the damage. And of course you have to be careful when you use heat.

divanapptural
06-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Why do you wanna "stretch out" your hair? Are you wanting to do it for a particular style or something? Twists outs or braid outs work, but what's wrong with letting your hair coil naturally? I grew tired of the "stretching" thing and I fell in love with the "wash and go" style. I literally co-wash my hair every so often, apply shea butter and my homemade leave in conditioner and go. I really like the look! Have you thought about that?

red_980
06-03-2009, 07:55 PM
How long did you leave your bands in?
[/b]

Until most of my hair was dry....I know at least over night. You should wait until you have at least a day to let them dryl.

Why do you wanna "stretch out" your hair? Are you wanting to do it for a particular style or something? Twists outs or braid outs work, but what's wrong with letting your hair coil naturally? I grew tired of the "stretching" thing and I fell in love with the "wash and go" style. I literally co-wash my hair every so often, apply shea butter and my homemade leave in conditioner and go. I really like the look! Have you thought about that?
[/b]

Some people can't do the wash-n-go style without lots of tangles and knots. I know I can't... So, stretching whether with twists, braids, or whatever keeps the hair from tangling. Some people do it for styling purposes (like what I did in the pics), but some people do it to keep tangles down.

Samii2004
06-03-2009, 10:06 PM
I agree with everyone else. Putting wet or damp hair in big plaits works for me. I then let it dry overnight, take down one section and twist it.

niicole83
06-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm currently in a protective style but as soon as I take it out, I'm going to try the banding method. My hair is EXTREMELY coily and shrinks a lot. Even when it's wet, the coils retain that tightness that's why I'm not 100% banding will work but I'm going to give it a try and let you all know how it goes.

divanapptural, the reason I want to stretch it is because I'm really tired of wearing wash-n-go's. As previously stated my hair is tightly coiled and has a lot of shrinkage and I know I have the length for a BAA or at least a baby BAA (is that a term? lol). I don't know how to do two strand twists or bantu knots b/c of the texture of it. I'm definitely open to any and all suggestions though :)

Thanks again everyone!

Karibana
06-04-2009, 12:18 AM
@ divanapptural: Nothing wrong with switching up styles once in a while. For me it can only be a special occasions styling technique because I go to the gym at least 3-4 times a week but it's nice to know we have options for our hair.

rlcarson
06-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Yep twist and banding works for me also.

Especially if I plan to air dry prior to styling.

I band in six section, three on each side.

reesespep
06-04-2009, 03:21 PM
@ divanapptural: Nothing wrong with switching up styles once in a while. For me it can only be a special occasions styling technique because I go to the gym at least 3-4 times a week but it's nice to know we have options for our hair.
[/b]

Same here i run and when my hair is stretch or curled and i run boy i tell ya my hair just doesnt look the same! but you can tell that it had some general style to it...hum Karibana sound like a good idea for a thread.

Samielle1
06-04-2009, 03:49 PM
[/b]

ITA. the whole stretch out thing grows tiresome. just let it do its thing. all that manipulation doesnt help ur hair either.

newnatural17
06-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Banding!
If you go to my fotki, you can see some banding pictures and the result.

Also, making thick braids or cornrows will do the trick. (Like a braidout, but you make them really big, so it wont be too textured)

Afrodisiac_W
06-04-2009, 05:49 PM
i have also found that doing a combination of twisting and banding works for me. i put my hair in big twist then put 2-3 twists in a scrunchy (or whatever you want to use to band) until all the twists are banded. the only thing is that banding has its best results when your hair is wet. i have to keep spritzing my hair to keep it damp. and i also have to make sure i keep the sides and ends with a nice amount of shea butter on them.

hth

GalaxyGirl2012
06-04-2009, 06:04 PM
[/b]
there's also quite a few of us on here who dont use combs or brushes. i know for me, constantly letting my hair dry shrinky + no combing = tangles and eventually nappy balls. if i ever decided to freefrom then that's the way i would do it :)

Miss Concrete Jungle
06-04-2009, 06:57 PM
my hair is tightly coiled and has a lot of shrinkage and I know I have the length for a BAA or at least a baby BAA (is that a term? lol). I don't know how to do two strand twists or bantu knots b/c of the texture of it.
[/b]

My hair coils a lot in some spots, and also shrinks a LOT. I said that to say my texture hasn't kept me from doing two strand twists, and they're the easiest style I've tried. In fact because my hair coils the way it does, my twists don't unravel like they would if I had a looser texture all over. So learn to work with your coils, they are your friend :D . But should you try banding, please make sure you use a really good moisturizer if you're banding while your hair is wet. Otherwise the bands will sap all the moisture from your hair, and the result would not be cute (ask me how I know ^_^ ). In fact next time I try it, I'll do it on dry hair. But good luck!

LBellatrix
06-04-2009, 10:13 PM
One quick thing re banding: Whatever you do, do NOT use the poly bands...Scunci makes them but I can't find them; they look like black rubberbands.

I banded using those and they gripped my hair so tightly I had to cut some out...and accidentally cut off a few inches of hair as a result. All I can say is thank God nappy hair is so forgiving...