PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Cutting

mophead
06-13-2009, 10:45 PM
when I was a permie, my hair became thin, and brittle and I was always cutting my hair. Now that I am natural I notice that my hair is becomming thicker, but when I do my two strand twists or braids, my hair looks thin. Have anyone gone from thin to thick from cutting their hair too much or is this possible.

GalaxyGirl2012
06-13-2009, 11:47 PM
no cutting your hair can't make it thinner only shorter. two things determine thickness: hair density (the # of hairs on your head) and strand size (the size of the individual hair strand).. cutting has no effect ion either of these..

if you notice that your hair looks thinner then it can be several things:
- thinning hair density : so less follicles are spouting out new hairs. an example of this happens in male pattern baldness.. this is genetic/hormonal
- thinning hair strands : so your individual strands are coming out thinner this is genetic hormonal
- hair breakage so that you hair is uneven : this is a length retention issue

chocodoll
06-14-2009, 02:43 AM
I can't say that my hair has thinned as a result of cutting but, my hair was never real thick even when I was a permie. It looks really thick now because I am natural but I have box braids in and they are thin. Looks can be deceiving.