PDA

View Full Version : Nappy Hair Is........

DeeOnMySpace
06-25-2009, 12:12 PM
ETA: I just noticed that someone else had posted up a link to an article concerning blks/hair. ^_^

What I originally had posted was a url to a AA-board on Topix where this one chick was bashing nappy hair and saying that it was completely unacceptable for ladies to wear their hair in that state

I'm just curious, has anyone ever had someone tell them that nappy hair looks ugly, peasy, dirty, or a mess?
and was the person a family member or a friend?

littlemissknowitall
06-25-2009, 12:35 PM
I know it is not funny, but this person is the worse. The ignorance is so stunning, that I had to crack up.
This heifer said:
"Same way all asians should get butt/boob implants, all latinas have to shave more because they grow hair everywhere, and whites have to bathe more because they emit nasty natural odors..."

WOW.....who can take her seriously?

DeeOnMySpace
06-25-2009, 12:40 PM
I know it is not funny, but this person is the worse. The ignorance is so stunning, that I had to crack up.
This heifer said:
"Same way all asians should get butt/boob implants, all latinas have to shave more because they grow hair everywhere, and whites have to bathe more because they emit nasty natural odors..."

WOW.....who can take her seriously?
[/b]

LoL LMKIA, you must have replied while I was editing my first post.

I might as well throw the link back in now :D

**throws it in**
http://www.topix.com/forum/afam/T9QPD8CCK3ICESCPD

EboniCoil
06-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Everyone told me! growing I was always asked when i was getting my perm or older ladies asked my mom if they could pass a warm comb through my hair. Can't forget my self either. I thought my hair was ugly for years even after i came to hair boards

Miss Jay
06-25-2009, 12:56 PM
I had only 1 friend tell me that my hair was ugly. He didn't tell me then (cuz I was preggers and he didn't want to hurt my feelings), but he told me last year and by then I had put the creamy crack back in my hair. Recently, I asked him if he saw my most recent pic on fb. He said yes, and I proceeded to tell him that he didn't have to like cuz I did.

As far as my family goes, me being adventurous with my hair is nothing new. The only thing they may be wondering if it's a phase, but will never come out and ask me.

DeeOnMySpace
06-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Someone I know once told me that I have Kunta-Kinte hair :blush:

And another friend of mine jokingly refers to it as a mop, raggedy, and sometimes, bushy!

Which always makes me L.O.L

star13
06-25-2009, 01:37 PM
That looks like to was started by a troll. <_<

Daughter-of-Diaspora
06-25-2009, 01:52 PM
After being at my job for almost 5 years, folks generally know my stance on nappy hair. Although I am not preachy, it is pretty much understood that I am a nappy-hair advocate. Should I hear a random person say something negative about having nappy hair= bad hair, I will step in and say a few words.

Recently a cosmetology program instructor was discussing an event they just had for underprivileged children where they gave free hair cuts and shampoos. She went on to state how well things went except for the ones "who had the nerve to come in with that nappy hair... it was just gross!" Imagine me sitting there and saying nothing :huh: <_< When I turned my chair around to address her, another instructor who knew what was about to happen, kindly stepped out of the room laughing...

Long story short, I started by asking her where the babies hair "gross" because their hair was natural, or because their hair was not clean? And with you being a professional in the feild who is liscenced and training students, would you really recommend a child get a checmical chemical fire cream on thier fragile tender scalp? She tried to justify her answer but this discussion just solidifies the fact that just because one has a liscence doesnt mean I would trust them to be knowledgable about nappy hair. I think its gross that she admitted that she puts a "mild" chemical fire cream in her very young daughters hair and that she stated that she would go natural but she just couldnt handle it. Whatever :rolleyes:

The struggle continues...

Tanzie
06-26-2009, 08:26 AM
A-MA-ZING! this type of sentiment and behavior is so bizzare too me...This cant be reality...I refuse to beleive that this is actually life....."Get over this nappy hair crap" OR WHAT?"I wouldnt touch that nappy hair for all the tea in china" SO?
*scratches head* i mean just why? i really wish it was easier for me to understand why people could hate HAIR so much. I mean some of the comments were down right despicable and cruel over HAIR. *Le sigh* I really wish people would get over themselves....

AuNappturale
06-26-2009, 10:07 AM
That type of ignorance isn&#39;t worth linking to. Why give her traffic?

Blossom34
06-26-2009, 10:31 PM
:angry: I wish somebody WOULD say something like that in my presence. :angry:

Soul Rebel
06-26-2009, 11:04 PM
That type of ignorance isn&#39;t worth linking to. Why give her traffic?
[/b]

werd, nor is it worth responding to with a comment. Such obvious internet baiting needs to just be ignored.

No I&#39;ve actually never had anyone call my hair ugly that I know of.

GoodT
06-26-2009, 11:20 PM
I actually had someone make a mean statement about my hair just last week... She said, "Your dreads are the reason why people get turned off from dreads..." She also added some more stuff about my dreads being too fat, too ugly, too dirty, untwisted... blah blah blah... (I&#39;m a freeformer and I have 31 dreads)... She was not a friend or a family member... She was a random "sister" who also has dreads, but she made a point to let me know, "I have dreads too... But I take care of mine..." etc... I effin guess... <_<

Karibana
06-26-2009, 11:25 PM
I like this comment:

Who started this thread--Imus?? Who cares who a woman wears her hair? That&#39;s her business.

Nice to see a lot of men telling it like it is that chick. That being said:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/saturna76/smiley/933cc5f311b4.gif

sunnysmile751
06-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Topix is a cesspool. It seems like trolls and racists camp out there or something...

As far as the hair comments, well my mom always said "You can&#39;t be liked by everybody." as a way to keep me away from bad crowds. Well natural hair isn&#39;t liked by everyone, and I&#39;ll be damned if I put some damaging chemicals in it just to please someone else.

simplypoetic08@yahoo.com
06-27-2009, 05:42 AM
After being at my job for almost 5 years, folks generally know my stance on nappy hair.
She went on to state how well things went except for the ones "who had the nerve to come in with that nappy hair... it was just gross!"
[/b]

Dip me in the fires of h*ll.....Im not even going to go there with that!

I think that people take ignorace to a new level. I have my preferences ((parts over free-form)) but I don&#39;t put others down for deciding to do what they want. And I try to keep an open mind. Realizing that people are different and do what they want is part of living among other people. If we were all supposed to be the same ((Straight hair, no body hair, big boobies)) Then why are we all made so differently?

NuNique
06-27-2009, 05:44 PM
I have a friend who makes negative comments about nappy hair. I remember seeing this lady in Wal-Mart with this big beautiful fro. I&#39;m just standing in awe like, :rolleyes: wow I can&#39;t wait until my fro gets that big. My chemical fire friend is just like, ughh she needs to comb that mess. I&#39;m like WTF?? Are you serious? I simply told her, no she doesn&#39;t need to comb anything, I think her hair is beautiful. I don&#39;t know what it is with people who only have negative things to say about nappy hair. All I can do is check them and keep on moving....

CurlyChick
07-13-2009, 02:40 PM
I did. I have about a 2 1/2 inch TWA and I used to wear it in an Afro state but since it has grown a little, I wear it cornrowed in the front and two strand twisted in the back. My brother saw me at church with my hair like this and asked me what was wrong with my hair. He also said that I should put a weave in it until it grows out. My Cousin also asked me what was wrong with my hair and said that if he didn&#39;t know me, he would crack on me. While we (brother, cousin, and I) were at a restaurant, a women came in with a puff and they started talking about her hair saying she need a perm and asking me if I wanted to look like that. I have tried to educate them on the harshness of relaxers to black women&#39;s hair but it is still above their heads. They said that they just don&#39;t like the way it looks. They are young (early twenties) so they are pretty immature.

ayana862004
07-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Someone I know once told me that I have Kunta-Kinte hair :blush: [/b]

I wish someone would <_<

nappywhirl
07-17-2009, 11:57 PM
It cracks me up when people approach you just to put you down. And I just love it when people are talking about your hair right in front of you like you&#39;re not even there. I had a guy on the train (mind you he looked about 300 lbs with poor hygeine) point to me and say "That is one ugly girl". That day I had my hair twisted, and I was wearing some pretty decent clothes. I could&#39;ve dumbed down and said something back, but I just smiled to myself saying: "Love me or hate me, I&#39;m still your focus" ---Unknown

sunshine_blue_skies
08-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Some people are just foolish with their ridiculous **** comments.

NappyArt7
08-06-2009, 07:09 PM
My father once told me that my hair looked nasty. :rolleyes: Okay, pop

Bonafide Napp
08-06-2009, 07:17 PM
I was standing in line and someone thought it would be cute to sing "I am not my hair" and he & his friends were snickering so I turn to glare and noticed that the only chick in the group was rockin&#39; a $5 sew-in :rolleyes: BISH PLEASE :lol:

LadyBug13
08-06-2009, 07:43 PM
I washed my hair one day about a year ago, and I went into my sister&#39;s room for something. She laughed and commented that my hair looked dirty. When I told her that I had just washed it, she stopped laughing.

TeenyTrice
08-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Nappy hair is beautiful! :) I wouldnt have my hair any other way! I haven&#39;t had people tell me its ugly but, they&#39;ve suggested I&#39;d look better with it another way(straighter). I tell them thank you for the suggestion but I like my hair just the way it is! :)

GalaxyGirl2012
08-06-2009, 09:29 PM
i&#39;ve only had 1 person tell me my hair was ugly.it was a little white girl i used to babysit for. i told her her face was ugly and made her cry :lol: seriously, i don&#39;t play that mess. she eventually apologizing and said she liked my hair .

mstith2683
08-06-2009, 10:16 PM
yes from family. especially my grandma, currently im wearing chunky twists just to be able to pull my hair back for work. and she asked me when i was going to get my hair done, and i usually let it get to me but i just looked at her and then went to work. believe me its urkes the hell out of me.

eri cole
08-06-2009, 10:24 PM
this one time at work this white girl (who was my friend btw) told me to my face "when u bc i hope your hair does start to stink"
i was like wtf??? cuz my hair isnt permed my hair will stink???? i quickly said "that comment was soooo ignorant. that&#39;s like me tellin u when it rains i hope your hair doesnt stink so dont ride with me to lunch! wtf?" she felt bad and apologized. but what is it with natural hair and stinky hair?? Yall im mad all over again. i wanted to slap dem auburn streaks right off her scalp. *still want to* :angry:

i&#39;ve only had 1 person tell me my hair was ugly.it was a little white girl i used to babysit for. i told her her face was ugly and made her cry :lol: seriously, i don&#39;t play that mess. she eventually apologizing and said she liked my hair .
[/b]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
i pictured that whole lil scenario ...

butterflyz
08-06-2009, 10:37 PM
[/b]

ppppffffffffttt!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: this made me crack up. it sounds like something i would say. :P

etifaim
08-07-2009, 12:46 PM
I was standing in line and someone thought it would be cute to sing "I am not my hair" and he & his friends were snickering so I turn to glare and noticed that the only chick in the group was rockin&#39; a $5 sew-in :rolleyes: BISH PLEASE :lol:
[/b]

:pointlaugh:

Hmm...:unsure: No so far no one has had the gall to say anything about my hair to my face....

Miss Jay
08-07-2009, 12:56 PM
I had a friend tell me that he didn&#39;t like my hair and if it had to be natural it should be braided or loced. I asked him what made him think I cared what he thought about my hair.

Blossom34
08-08-2009, 07:35 PM
I&#39;ve posted on this subjcet before, but I gotta tell ya&#39;ll this. I had my fro out one day, ya know OUT!! I had that beautiful artwork just right! I had on my sunglasses, and was dressed casual. Me and my SO walked into the gas station in front of 3 permies. They did&#39;nt insult me, instead one of them whispered "Hmph, she think she&#39;s all that" I turned around and gave the biggest smile; one of those cheesy grins! :D My SO then touches my hair (he heard them too) and says "Baby your hair is so damned pretty. You betta not put a perm in it!" Ha ha ha ha!!! :lol: :lol:

CharO.o
08-08-2009, 08:19 PM
[/b]

DANG! You told a little girl her face was ugly? LMFAO! Hey, age doesn&#39;t matter to you I guess!
I probably would&#39;ve said something similar, and equally rude. Then I&#39;d get into trouble with some adult saying the girl "doesn&#39;t know better" <_< Please...they&#39;re old enough to call me ugly, they&#39;re old enough to get called ugly. Simple as that, lol.

CharO.o
08-08-2009, 08:31 PM
I&#39;ve posted on this subjcet before, but I gotta tell ya&#39;ll this. I had my fro out one day, ya know OUT!! I had that beautiful artwork just right! I had on my sunglasses, and was dressed casual. Me and my SO walked into the gas station in front of 3 permies. They did&#39;nt insult me, instead one of them whispered "Hmph, she think she&#39;s all that" I turned around and gave the biggest smile; one of those cheesy grins! :D My SO then touches my hair (he heard them too) and says "Baby your hair is so damned pretty. You betta not put a perm in it!" Ha ha ha ha!!! :lol: :lol:
[/b]

:lol: Aww, two thumbs WAY up for what your SO said. That made my day! :clap:

DeeOnMySpace
08-08-2009, 09:11 PM
[/b]

Lol
Maybe you should have started singing along while staring at her weave. :D

GalaxyGirl2012
08-08-2009, 09:21 PM
DANG! You told a little girl her face was ugly? LMFAO! Hey, age doesn&#39;t matter to you I guess!
I probably would&#39;ve said something similar, and equally rude. Then I&#39;d get into trouble with some adult saying the girl "doesn&#39;t know better" <_< Please...they&#39;re old enough to call me ugly, they&#39;re old enough to get called ugly. Simple as that, lol.
[/b]
this little girl is like verucha salt if you&#39;ve ever seen the original **** wonka movie :lol: to be honest we got along quite well even though she was a brat and i&#39;m kind of mean, we had an understanding ;)

i had to stop babysitting for her because the (married) dad was starting to get a little too familiar and asking me out on dates :rolleyes:

neo-sophisticate
08-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Lol
Maybe you should have started singing along while staring at her weave. :D
[/b]

^ (SMile) SOunds like my up of tea. I wanna get away from reacting negatively when I get negative feedback about my hair but it feels so natural to GO SMOOTH OFF on anyone who has something unpleasant to say and actually has the audacity to share it with me!!! (Sigh) I gues I&#39;ll have to work on it. I&#39;ve been in the Army for about 8months now and let me tell you... :angry: My NATURAL BLACK HAIR does not go "unnoticed"... If you know what I mean.

I&#39;m known for being snappy on behalf of being nappy! :blush: :lol: :wub:

I&#39;m not sure what bothers me more; Their obvious ignorance or my sensitivity....