PDA

View Full Version : Great Dog Behavior/training Books

Jess Tresses
06-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Anyone know of any great dog behavior or training books? I need ones that address more of the underlying issues regarding behavioral problems and obstacles with dog training not books that teach commands, because I already have a few of those and don't find them very helpful in my situation. I am thinking of getting a few of Cesar Milan's books. I'm trying to channel calm assertive energy but it's not working!

jorjeni
07-09-2009, 06:09 AM
I have learned alot from watching It's me or the dog. I was very sick when I got my dogs and they didnt' get good training. One just will not listen to me that would be Miss Sadie Mae. So now that I am training them to behave some I am using her tricks and they are working quite well. I am teaching them to stay off the couch and they have a chair they can sit in but if anyone else sits in that chair they jump up and get behind them and try to push them off :lol:

SweetHoneyLocs
07-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Anyone know of any great dog behavior or training books? I need ones that address more of the underlying issues regarding behavioral problems and obstacles with dog training not books that teach commands, because I already have a few of those and don't find them very helpful in my situation. I am thinking of getting a few of Cesar Milan's books. I'm trying to channel calm assertive energy but it's not working!
[/b]

Dog's can s.ense their owner's state, i.e. if you are calm, nervous, aggressive, etc. Always use a clam voice when training your dog, even correcting behaviors you do not like. Never let them see you clean up after them if they make a mess in the house.

If you have dog runs near your house, take your dog their. Even if your dog is aggressive at first continue taking them their to curve the behavior. If your dog is involved in a fight, break it up, take your dog to another part of the run (away from the other animals) make them sit with your for a few minutes, then go for a walk outside the dog run.

Depending on the breed of dog you have, you may have to increase the amount of activities you do with your dog. For instance if your dog is full of energy, then maybe agility classes can help.

You can look on www.meetup.com for dog classes in your area or even dog groups.

anabwi
07-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Kinda off topic, but did y'all hear of the dog in Kentucky that dragged the newborn from its crib? So dog was jealous or what?

bhop13
08-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Kinda off topic, but did y'all hear of the dog in Kentucky that dragged the newborn from its crib? So dog was jealous or what?
[/b]

My mom told me about that. At first she was trying to make it sound like the dog mauled the baby but when I kept asking questions I realized that it was nothing like that and the owner didn't think that either. I think the dog thought he was protecting the baby or something. From what I understand he didn't try to eat the baby and because of the way dogs pick up their own pups it makes sense that there are teeth marks but none to the point that he was trying to actually kill the baby. If he wanted to kill the baby he would have done so. They are dogs, they are protective of their people, I don't think it was jealous. With that being said I would not leave my baby alone with any animal that wasn't a fish, lol. I probably wouldn't leave a baby alone with most people!!