PDA

View Full Version : Christians and TWAs

Sevenx3
04-14-2003, 06:12 PM
Has anyone been approached by a fellow christian who used scripture as a reason why they should NOT be wearing a TWA? The scripture I'm referring to is 1 Corinthians 11 that says "if a woman has long hair it is a glory to her."

If so, how did you respond?

tjolims
04-14-2003, 07:40 PM
This has happened to me. I asked them if they eat pork(cause it says in Deuteronomy that you shouldn't), I asked them if they ate any thing other than vegetable and water(cause it says in Daniel you shouldn't), I asked if they had their nose pierced(Cause it says in Ezekiel you should), and most importantly, I asked that if that scripture was so all-fired important, how come they didn't keep their mouth shut in church and let their man ask me why I was wearing a TWA, because that's what the rest of that chapter said she should do, capice?

I was a little heated, can you tell? I just get tired of people using the Bible to blame their personal prejudices on God. There are times I think that Christians should begin a Reading Is Fundamental campaign just for churches.

starchild
04-14-2003, 08:40 PM
eating shrimp is abomination i use to luv some shrimps. I don't think that God will love you or any women less cause she wears her hair short. A lot of that is cultural anyways. Like women should not speak in the church and her head to be covered in 1 Cor. sorry dont have the chap and verse with me.ummmmm

elleebeme5
04-15-2003, 05:00 AM
I have gotten nothing but compliments from people at church. In fact, I used a woman there with a TWA as my model. The last comment on my hair was from a woman who said that she loved the short look on me.

curlygirl
04-15-2003, 05:17 AM
This has happened to me. I asked them if they eat pork(cause it says in Deuteronomy that you shouldn't), I asked them if they ate any thing other than vegetable and water(cause it says in Daniel you shouldn't), I asked if they had their nose pierced(Cause it says in Ezekiel you should), and most importantly, I asked that if that scripture was so all-fired important, how come they didn't keep their mouth shut in church and let their man ask me why I was wearing a TWA, because that's what the rest of that chapter said she should do, capice?

I was a little heated, can you tell? I just get tired of people using the Bible to blame their personal prejudices on God. There are times I think that Christians should begin a Reading Is Fundamental campaign just for churches.

Great reply! Pointed and well-informed.

I had no idea this was an issue. No one in my church has said anything about it, except one guy (adult) did make a comment about it's size on Sunday. At which point one of the females in our group said "I love your hair I think it's beautiful". THose kids, just when I'm ready to throttle 'em they give me some love! :D

Sevenx3
04-15-2003, 01:28 PM
I too have received lots of compliments from the women in my church, I just wanted to see if anyone had experienced this because I know someone it happened to.

I've been told my hair is beautiful, professional looking, even that I looked "free"! Well, thank God I am free! The best compliment came from one of my Sunday School students (he's 5). When I walked in he said, "Wow, I really like your hair!" Now, this kid doesn't bite his tongue on anything and has been known to embarrass adults (he'll tell you when your breath stinks!) So for him to give me a compliment like that was very special.

Thx for the feedback, ladies.

nappturallymeRG
04-17-2003, 05:08 AM

LOLOLOLOLOL.......HI-LA-RI-OUS Tjolims!!! ITA with ya girl.

celine
05-09-2003, 06:51 PM
It didn't happen to me: people at Church told me a lot of good things of my natural hair or of my haircut in TWA.
Anyway, I know God loves us with long or short hair! The most important is to respect our person in the soul as the body (and I think that one of the aims of going napptural is to protect the hair from chimical damages).
I really doubt of the religious feelings of the christian who uses scriptures to hurt someone else.

Celine

Joyfulocs
05-10-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Sevenx3@Apr 14 2003, 01:12 PM
Has anyone been approached by a fellow christian who used scripture as a reason why they should NOT be wearing a TWA? The scripture I'm referring to is 1 Corinthians 11 that says "if a woman has long hair it is a glory to her."

One of the "seasoned saints" told me my brain would freeze if I didn't grow some hair. I was nice and didn't disrespect her. I'm sure she would have yoked me up with the quickness.

This was years ago and I've since locked my hair. Between the twa and the locs I tried different styles and colors and nobody has said a thing. Well, they haven't said a thing to my face. ;) B)

skchocolate
05-10-2003, 05:16 PM
:lol: i am laughing, :unsure: confused, shaking my head :mad: , and rolling mye eyes at the same time :rolleyes:
as you can see im getting pretty dizzy

no serously im confused is it wrong to wear your hair nappy n short or permed n short.
what if your hair isnt long and flowing God made you like that so why would he punish you. that is crazyness

:rainfro:

blackeyes
05-11-2003, 06:45 AM
My grannie said that in the women of the bible who wore short hair were prostitutes. I just kept my twa covered I didn't have the energy to defend it everyday.

Bellybutton
05-11-2003, 06:54 AM
YES I HAVE

So I pointed out a few scriptures

To where black skin and kinky hair were said to be beautiful.

I couldnt believe this brainwashed slave had the nerve to even say something so foolish.

I asked her if she thought God made mistakes, of course no answer to that question. :rolleyes:

TEASIA
05-11-2003, 05:06 PM
lol lol!! yes mam! i have heard it from a family member who gave me the verse about a woman's hair being her glory. they were like "how can you have glory if you cut all your hair off." i dont remember what i said, but i still rocked my hair:) it beats damaged hair and broken ends anyday!!!!!!!!!!!! :afro:

elleebeme5
05-11-2003, 08:51 PM
There are getting to be so many natural sisters (primarily locs or TWAs) at my church that we could start our own place if folx started getting ugly about our hair.

Alken41100
05-12-2003, 06:05 PM
I would ask about a woman who may have had chemo. What about the woman who for one reason or another can't grow hair past a TWA. Some folks are just stupid and inwardly ugly.

SassyDiva
05-12-2003, 06:59 PM
I have heard all of what you ladies are saying and then some from my family. I just ignore them. :afro:

LaKinkyFemme
05-14-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Sevenx3@Apr 14 2003, 02:12 PM

My Aunt underwent chemo and lost her hair. So I told her that as a gift, I would buy her a little wig. She said that the wig style couldn't be short because then people in her church would think that she got a haircut and that is a big no-no. She is Pentecostal.

I just shook my head in disgust.

Lakinkyfemme

nappyanne
05-20-2003, 02:18 AM
This topic is just why christians are so confused with the scriptures. It's so funny how people's personal agendas always entrap others with certain scriptures all because they're taken out of text and used to manipulate people. :rolleyes: That's why I don't belong to a church now.

Laniza
05-21-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by nappyanne@May 19 2003, 10:18 PM
This topic is just why christians are so confused with the scriptures. It's so funny how people's personal agendas always entrap others with certain scriptures all because they're taken out of text and used to manipulate people. :rolleyes: That's why I don't belong to a church now.
True dat!! I couldn't of said it better myself!

ini
05-21-2003, 10:57 PM
I've never had this happen or even heard of such a thing. :rolleyes:
I've only gotten compliments from people at my church thank God.

kurliehead
05-23-2003, 12:35 AM
My aunt used to tell me about a woman's hair being her glory every chance she got. So I just started to ask her whose glory is she wearing? (She wears a head full of bra strap lenthg weave and/or free-style micro braids) Needless to say she doesn't tell me that anymore. :unsure:

Queenheart3
05-23-2003, 01:10 AM
What about I Corinthians Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy them: for God's temple is sacred, and you are the temple. I Corinthisans 3:16-17

Now putting chemicals on your hair that break down the hair folicle and destroy it sound slike destroying God's temple to me.

:afro:
QueenHeart3 :pumpheart:

DivineSpirals
05-23-2003, 08:27 PM
Look at it this way,

A TWA is much longer than a five o'clock shadow. "Long" is relative ;)