PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Do.....

Soulsista934
07-25-2009, 03:11 PM
It takes my hair a long time for my hair to get moisturized after I wash my hair. When I put stuff on my hair it doesnt seem to help. My hair feels fine after I wash my hair and it is wet but it feels dry when it dries. I am not sure what or when to do or use on my hair after I wash it.

What do you do and use on your hair after you wash your hair? When do you do it (when your hair is soaking wet, damp, or dry?). Does it work?

mrembo25
07-25-2009, 03:34 PM
I use qhemet amla and olive cream and a bit of the hydrating balm on damp hair, never dry or wet. I suggest what ever you use you should do it on damp hair and squeeze your hair as you moisturize in sections, this seems to help me a lot. Then seal with an oil (I use castor oil). I also use a leave-in conditioner before my moisturizers (usually oyin honey hemp or qhem's detangling ghee)
HTH

Karibana
07-25-2009, 03:51 PM
I just use a curly frizz pudding that is 80% conditioner mixed with setting lotion and a few oils (castor, sweet almond, sometime jojoba and vitamine E) to moisturize it after squeezing out the excess water but then again my hair is thin. The recipe calls for glycerin but I skip that because even if Montreal is a humid city the indoor air tends to be dry.

Batyah
07-25-2009, 03:57 PM
I use my QB products; the detangling ghee to detangle my damp hair. After that, I use either Jamaican Black Castor Oil or QB's Castor and Moringa serum along with either the alma and olive heavy cream or burdock root butter cream and twist or plait my hair in big sections for drying. Doing it this way, my hair stays moisturized during the week.

Sounds like you're going to have to keep trying different things until you find something that works for your hair. Something to keep in mind is, you may want to look into products that will draw moisture and retain moisture in your hair. For example, products that are humectants will do that; castor oil, and glycerine etc.

Cerendipity
07-25-2009, 04:52 PM
I cowash , rarely use shampoo , if I do its Blended Beautys Soy Shampoo that I have a little left over. After that I squeeze some of the water out and add a leave in . Usually karens hair milk or sheamoisture leave in. Then I section and get the tangles out with QB's CTDG, after that I braid up my hair in big sections to dry with some AOHC . the next day is when I style

mophead
07-25-2009, 05:00 PM
I wash and I use my spray of conditsh, oil and water and twist my hair.

mymy
07-25-2009, 05:24 PM
I wash using Chagrin Valley Bars. Before I rinse out my shampoo, I add olive oil to the lather and work it in. After washing and while my hair is still wet, I add shealoe to my hair and retwist it one at a time. This works very well for me. I've been doing this for a year now and my hair is always moisturized.
I also wanted to add that my hair loves water and for me washing adds moisture and doesn't take it away from my hair. I know for some their hair is the opposite.

Soulsista, what are you using to wash your hair with? It may be too stripping and that could be why it takes your hair so long to recover afterwards.

heartsounds36
07-25-2009, 05:35 PM
while my hair's still soaking wet, I apply leave-in conditioner (alba botanica, giovanni,etc), then seal with oil (jojoba, sweet almond, africa's best ultimate herbal oil, etc)

then I just shake until the excess moisture is out and I get soft, touchable hair when dry

kusare
07-25-2009, 05:54 PM
I scrunchie my hair in sections and focus on one section at a time. I do my twists dry and then I just spritz it to reawaken the moisterizer then but or oil it as I go along. My hair has to be fully detangled to really get moisterized and it's when it's dry and I re-moisterize it does it really accept the leave ins. I have a problem with my PH of my hair so that may be a problem with you too. So maybe when you address that and deep condition more often your hair may thank you for it.

Wild Magnolia
07-25-2009, 07:13 PM
What do you do and use on your hair after you wash your hair? When do you do it (when your hair is soaking wet, damp, or dry?). Does it work?
[/b]

I apply Suave conditioner after I shampoo and use about a nickel sized amount as a leave in while my hair is soaking wet. Then I use my spritz which is just water, jojoba, and glycerin. It does work for me. I've learned to use any product on my hair while it is at least damp. When I use products on dry hair, they don't really do anything.

Immaculette
07-25-2009, 07:51 PM
After I wash my hair I use a towel to soak up the water and then twist my hair while damp. The next day while my hair is dry I spritz on a moisturizing conditioner on the ends then rub through and then retwist.

lacigirl
07-25-2009, 09:53 PM
I washed my hair today and I applied a mix of carrot oil creme and Cantu she oil moisturizer to damp hair. I do med. size twists, pin them back, and then tie my head up with a silk scarf for the day. The next day I just sprits my hair with a spray leave in.

natural06
07-26-2009, 02:37 AM
It takes my hair a long time for my hair to get moisturized after I wash my hair. When I put stuff on my hair it doesnt seem to help. My hair feels fine after I wash my hair and it is wet but it feels dry when it dries. I am not sure what or when to do or use on my hair after I wash it.

[/b]
After washing my hair I put oilve oil in my hair to seal in the moisture, apply shea butter and twist. It dries soft.

sirabe10368
07-26-2009, 03:01 AM
Typically, I will spray my hair with my glycerin spray, infusium and rub in some Shea butter,Put on a plastic cap, a satin bonnet and then a satin scarf and go to bed. It is still wet in the morning. I just take my night werar off and and let it air dry.

I have found that keeping it wet with my product in helps it absorb. and its soft even after it dries

NewlyNappyNelle
07-26-2009, 12:01 PM
It depends on how I want to style it afterwards.

For TWISTS: On lightly towel sopped hair, I spritz Oyin Juices & Berries or Frank Juice on the braided sections I washed my hair in originally. Then, I'll use Qhemet Alma & Olive Heavy Cream, concentrating on the ends, through the whole section. Rebraid. Repeat for all the braids. Air dry under a scarf. Twist when dry.

For OUT STYLES: On lightly towel sopped hair, I spritz Oyin Juices & Berries or Frank Juice on the braided sections I washed my hair in originally. Depending on how I feel, I'll seal with coconut oil. Rebraid. Repeat. Air dry under a scarf.

Most products work best for me on damp hair.

Soulsista934
07-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Soulsista, what are you using to wash your hair with? It may be too stripping and that could be why it takes your hair so long to recover afterwards.
[/b]

I usually washed my hair with Giovanni's tea tree shampoo and for a couple of weeks I washed with Herbal essences shampoos. This week I am going to try to use Shea Moisture Coconut & Hisbiscus Shea Butter Soap only on my hair this week and hopefully my hair will feel better. Sometimes I put cupuacu butter or coconut oil on my hair while it was wet but my hair was crunchy when it dried. Maybe I will towel dry my hair more before I put anything on it

liberationtheory
07-26-2009, 03:29 PM
your hair may simply not like those types of oils. i know me and coconut oil dont get along. all oils leave my hair crunchy so i have to use butter.

i didnt hear any mention of conditioner!!!

after i wash and CONDITION my hair, i use hair butter from karen's body beautiful. and put my hair in about 4 big braids to air dry overnight.

femmefatale713
07-26-2009, 03:41 PM
I let it dry a little, apply kids organic shea butter, then cornrow it into about 5 plaits. The next day I have a nice braidout. I also apply DAX on it after cornrowing, but I know a lot of people hate it. It works for my hair, though.

Cerendipity
07-26-2009, 04:04 PM
I usually washed my hair with Giovanni's tea tree shampoo and for a couple of weeks I washed with Herbal essences shampoos. This week I am going to try to use Shea Moisture Coconut & Hisbiscus Shea Butter Soap only on my hair this week and hopefully my hair will feel better. Sometimes I put cupuacu butter or coconut oil on my hair while it was wet but my hair was crunchy when it dried. Maybe I will towel dry my hair more before I put anything on it
[/b]

it doesnt sound like anything you are using is moisturizing , Giovannis is heavy in protein and I dont use any of their line except The Giovannis Vitapro fusion spray, everything else leaves my hair hard and crunchy. Coconut oil leaves my hair hard as well if I dont use something moisturizing under it (I think coconut oil is protein in it as well)

Do you feel the need to shampoo , what about cowashing , the only natural shampoo my hair liked was Blended Beautys Soy Shampoo but its too expensive to keep buying. I used Dr Bronners Castile Soap to wash my scalp and hair and only use one lather , any more and my hair is stripped. B- Clay is very cleasening and moisturizing.

You could try and purchase the Sheamoisture Leave in conditioner after you wash , it might help and our textures are similiar. You can find it at any BSS.

simplypoetic08@yahoo.com
07-26-2009, 04:32 PM
After I wash, I add some shea butter and seal with olive oil or castor oil ((Castor oil leaves me a little greasy))

But I do have some glycerin on the way so I wonder how that will work.

Soulsista934
07-26-2009, 04:43 PM
it doesnt sound like anything you are using is moisturizing , Giovannis is heavy in protein and I dont use any of their line except The Giovannis Vitapro fusion spray, everything else leaves my hair hard and crunchy. Coconut oil leaves my hair hard as well if I dont use something moisturizing under it (I think coconut oil is protein in it as well)

Do you feel the need to shampoo , what about cowashing , the only natural shampoo my hair liked was Blended Beautys Soy Shampoo but its too expensive to keep buying. I used Dr Bronners Castile Soap to wash my scalp and hair and only use one lather , any more and my hair is stripped. B- Clay is very cleasening and moisturizing.
You could try and purchase the Sheamoisture Leave in conditioner after you wash , it might help and our textures are similiar. You can find it at any BSS.
[/b]

Yea I do feel like I need to shampoo my hair. I have tried co washing but it left my scalp itching.

iLoveBlu3
07-26-2009, 04:45 PM
After I wash I have to condition n detangle in section. Then I plait each section. After that I squeeze some of the water out with a paper towel. I unplait and apply leave in condish, then oil. if im plaiting my hair I let it dry completely but for twist I prefer my hair to be slightly damp.

GalaxyGirl2012
07-26-2009, 05:10 PM
half the time i use nothing .... sometimes i use aloe vera gel, sometimes qhemet honey and olive hydrating balm mixed with a bit of the heavy cream; sometimes i use oyin's shine n define. to be honest the shine and define doesn't add much to my hair BUT i LOVE the scent

QueenVictoria
07-26-2009, 05:30 PM
while my hair's still soaking wet, I apply leave-in conditioner (alba botanica, giovanni,etc), then seal with oil (jojoba, sweet almond, africa's best ultimate herbal oil, etc)

then I just shake until the excess moisture is out and I get soft, touchable hair when dry
[/b]
Ditto with the bolded leave-in, and castor oil. then i braid it up or roller set it!

coilycurly
07-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Hi OP,

It sounds like your hair is porous and absorbs AND loses moisture quickly. The key to dealing with that is to apply a moisturizer (like cetearyl alcohol, aloe) then seal with an oil or a product with silicones. The order of application is very important.

Try to find a shampoo that is as gentle as possible while effectively removing the sealant at wash time.

christian_witchie2005
07-27-2009, 01:08 PM
i cowash, then rinse a little bit of the conditioner out. then airdry, thats it.

Ms_Yoruba
07-27-2009, 02:05 PM
I shampoo (instead of co-wash).. and for my final rinse I use my deep conditioner, and rinse out after two mins. I then apply more deep conditioner to my hair, seal with castor oil, and leave to air dry... works for me!

The conditioner I use is Organic Root Stimulator's 'Olive Oil Aloe Creamy Conditioner' or something... its a large green bottle, states 'For Professional Use Only' on the front!

prncsstaylor
07-27-2009, 04:14 PM
It depends on my mood, what I'm wearing, and the weather. For real.

Different hair calls for different products. But the majority of the time I just add Long Aid Activator gel and keep it moving. Some days I leave in a little Vo5 Condish, some days is nothing but Shealoe, and some days it's a mix of things.

dajo
07-27-2009, 10:12 PM
i wash with a shampoo bar and add either olive oil /castor oil /qb's castor & moringa softening serum before the final rinse. then i twist/braid with qb aohc, concentrating on the roots and ends.

etifaim
07-28-2009, 01:50 PM
After washing I blot it with a towel so it is still moist, but not dripping wet. I've already detangled it in the shower (and washed with Dr. Bronner's organic soaps or African black soap).
So I part my hair into four sections and use whatever oil I have on hand(macadamia nut, coconut, olive, grapeseed oil, etc). I'll also use essential oils like lavendar, rosemary, peppermint, mixing it with the carrier oils.
In colder months I will use shealoe cream or cocoa butter creams (handmade) but that is usually too heavy for my hair and scalp in the warmer months.
After moisturizing I'll band each section with large hair ties, bantu knots, twists, or braids and let dry.

Soulsista934
07-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Hi OP,

It sounds like your hair is porous and absorbs AND loses moisture quickly. The key to dealing with that is to apply a moisturizer (like cetearyl alcohol, aloe) then seal with an oil or a product with silicones. The order of application is very important.

Try to find a shampoo that is as gentle as possible while effectively removing the sealant at wash time.
[/b]

That sounds about right, the porous hair. On sunday I put murumuru butter mixed with oils on my damp hair and detangled and my hair did feel better.

Tish
07-28-2009, 07:03 PM
After I Co Wash I towel dry then apply coconut oil. My hair is usually in a pony puff in the summer and when it dries it still feels soft and moisturized.

ayana862004
07-28-2009, 08:03 PM

[/b]

don't wash out all of the conditioner

dajo
07-28-2009, 10:22 PM
sidebar:

tish - your hair is takin' ovah, girlfriend...and it looks amazing!!

KreativeKoils
07-28-2009, 10:30 PM
I dunno, maybe it's a little low maitnence, but I just put in shea butter to lock in the moisture... :unsure:

Tish
07-28-2009, 11:44 PM
sidebar:

tish - your hair is takin' ovah, girlfriend...and it looks amazing!!
[/b]

Thank u girl. It can't be stopped. :lol:

mwedzi
07-29-2009, 01:43 AM
I apply a heavier moisturizer immediately after washing, damp or wet hair, and twist. Throughout the week if I add any other moisturizer, it is a lighter one. Many times I'll just add oil or water and oil.

Oasis
07-29-2009, 03:03 AM
Well the first thing I do is sit down and take a break.

I wash my hair in large twists so when I'm finished washing I take down each section, squeeze out excess water and then apply a mix shea butter, coconut or castor oil, and fantasia ic gel or aloe gel. Then I braid the section. The state of my hair doesn't matter when I put on product. Wet, damp, or dry the outcome is always the same. Ultra dry hair. :lol:

For the most part my hair only stays moisturized in twists. I've yet to find a way to keep my hair soft and supple with braids and 'out' styles.

afroknots11412
07-29-2009, 04:42 AM
apply my leave-ins: honey hemp cond. or karens hair milk
style with qhemet: a mix of heavy cream, burdock cream and ohhb, using amla pomade for hold
seal with karen's hair butter but its purely b/c I love the scents :D

also I make sure to have my hair very damp so I always have the spray bottle near me.

digitaltempest
07-29-2009, 06:04 AM
I was my hair in four section and leave these sections in post wash. I use a leave in of some kind (maybe a dab of conditioner if I don't have any KCKT or HNS available). I add whatever leave-in and oil I'm going to apply to damp each section. That's one of main factors to me. I have to apply in sections to even distribute my products or my hair will feel dry later.

Kinky_Curly_Bri_Nyc
07-29-2009, 02:52 PM
•i slightly dry my hair with a towel

•I put my hair into 4 or six sections with plastic butterfly clips

*********on damp hair i apply:

• Sta•Sof•Fro
• jojoba oil
• Carols daughter HHB
if im going to twist my hair i apply
•llily of the desert aloe vera gel
•carols daughter honey hair mimosa

i have moisture shine and good hold for the whole week, i only have to spritz with water and retwist daily
hth :-)

toto4174
07-29-2009, 03:08 PM
After I finish wash my hair, I:

squeeze excess water from my hair
separate my hair in sections

in each section, I:

apply karen's hair nectar as a leave in
apply qhemets brbc as a moisturizer
seal my ends with either castor oil or Oyin BSP

cover hair with scarf if going to bed, or allow it to air dry then style if Im going out.

eboni.force
08-20-2009, 02:21 PM
•i slightly dry my hair with a towel

•I put my hair into 4 or six sections with plastic butterfly clips

*********on damp hair i apply:

• Sta•Sof•Fro
• jojoba oil
• Carols daughter HHB
if im going to twist my hair i apply
•llily of the desert aloe vera gel
•carols daughter honey hair mimosa

i have moisture shine and good hold for the whole week, i only have to spritz with water and retwist daily
hth :-)
[/b]

ok question. The mimosa hair honey, what does that count for exactly? would that be a moisturizer or an oil. since my hair is too short to put in twists i'll be putting it on loose hair. i have a leave in and an oil but i paid too much money to let that honey go to waste. should this go on after the leave in?

tinuke
08-21-2009, 04:26 AM
I ususally put my hair in 12 big twists and wash my hair with a shampoo. then i condition with aubrey organic GPB for like 10 minutes. I then deep condition for like 45 minutes, rinse my hair, add elasta qp mango butter or shea butter or nourish and shine. I let my hair airdry.

kinkykeeper
08-21-2009, 09:17 AM
While hair is still in bands (I try to wash in bands) I deep condition (right after shampoing so cuticles are standing up) for about 45-minutes to an hour (or overnight if I am feeling sleepy).

Then wash out with warm water and apply instant conditioner (like Herbal Essence Hello Hydration or Suave or Aubrey Organics GPB if I feel my hair needs some protein) Then rinse that out with cold water to further seal cuticles.

While hair still wet I next apply a moisturizer (in my mind this is a water based conditioner). Sometimes Herbal Essence, sometimes Giovanni Leave in or my newly bought KCKT (it has no water buit says leave in).

I then apply some type of oil and or butter. My hair likes coconut oil and shea butter (or shealoe) over it, mostly on ends. If I am doing a stretched style I leave hair in bands and aply teh oil and butter onto banded hair. If I am doing wet twists, I take out bands and twist with the oil and butter on my fingers so each twists gets some.

That might seem like a lot of conditioning (deep conditioner, instant conditioner, cold water, leave in, oil AND buter) but I have found my hair is very porous, before I started layering and doing it all on wet hair my hair always felt like a brillo pad. Now it stays soft and with a nice sheen/shine for weeks until I shampoo again.

june09
08-24-2009, 12:30 AM

[/b]

Hello:

My best advice to all those who have problems with dry hair, is to stop using SHAMPOO and do not blow dry you hair, let it dry naturally. Whether the shampoo you use is advertised as “gentle” or “made for dry hair” or contains natural herbs, or display a black model on the bottle, it is not good for your hair. All of this is just advertising gimmicks to get your money. The purpose of shampoo is to remove oils, dirt etc. from the hair, since African hair does not produce enough oil to keep our hair moist, we are literally sabotaging our hair and robbing it of its natural nutrients when we apply shampoo to our hair.

Have you ever thought of how black women washed their hair centuries ago before all these commercial products?

If you are in the Montreal area give me a call 514-341-9494, I specialize in Natural Hair Care. One on one hair care consultation is available.

southerncurl
08-24-2009, 02:51 AM
im into simplicity.

I co-wash then blot dry and add a dollop of cantu shea butter moisturizer.

I air dry and keep it moving.

I only have 2 products..its a regimen thats works and im not changing it!

I did the same when I had really long natural hair too.

luvbear
08-24-2009, 05:41 AM
I wash with a no-residue shampoo
squeeze as much water out as possible
apply a loc buter and retwist while still damp
for the scalp I use shea butter serum
and I am good to go for the next 2 weeks :wub:

GalaxyGirl2012
08-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Hello:

My best advice to all those who have problems with dry hair, is to stop using SHAMPOO and do not blow dry you hair, let it dry naturally. Whether the shampoo you use is advertised as “gentle” or “made for dry hair” or contains natural herbs, or display a black model on the bottle, it is not good for your hair. All of this is just advertising gimmicks to get your money. The purpose of shampoo is to remove oils, dirt etc. from the hair, since African hair does not produce enough oil to keep our hair moist, we are literally sabotaging our hair and robbing it of its natural nutrients when we apply shampoo to our hair.

Have you ever thought of how black women washed their hair centuries ago before all these commercial products?

If you are in the Montreal area give me a call 514-341-9494, I specialize in Natural Hair Care. One on one hair care consultation is available.
[/b]
actually, nobody's hair produces oil. oil is produced on the scalp and we produce as much scalp oil as other ethnicities, but because of our texture and the extreme coiliness, it's harder for that oil to fully get from root to tip without help such as scalp massaging, but i agree many people with curly/coily hair would do well to skip the shampoo, unless of course the swim.

Danjaruz4679
08-24-2009, 07:19 PM
I rarely shampoo my hair. I don't use enough product to require washing it a lot. I do, however, cowash it 2-3 times a week unless it is in a protective style.

I wring the hair out with my hands to get rid of excess water and I choose one of two looks: defined or puff. Defined means a golf ball dollop of kinky curly curling custard and air drying. Puff means a quarter size amount of shea butter and tea tree oils and air dry.

I don't do much else lol If I'm styling, I use either or depending on the style. Sometimes I want my coils pronounced, sometimes I want the soft puffy look.

Mz_SouL
08-25-2009, 02:28 PM
If I'm thoroughly cleansing my hair I'll wash and condition in braids. After I rinse out my deep conditioner, I'll wrap my hair in a tee-shirt then get dressed. Once I'm dressed, most of the dripping water is done so I can get to styling. I take down the braids by section and apply my shea butter mix and style. If its braids or twists I'll go over my ends with a little castor oil.

simplypoetic08@yahoo.com
08-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Simplicity is my bff.

After I wash..

I blot dry with a towel and add shea butter. I let that sit until I am dressed and then i add castor oil.. then I detangle.

reallady143
08-25-2009, 04:04 PM
I co-wash with sauve tropical coconut conditioner 2 to 3 times a week and only on Sundays I wash with baking soda/water, and then some sauve and some honey I let sit on my hair with a plastic cap for about 45mins.

while soak and wet I put on cantu shea butter leave in conditioner, and when it dries I put on shea butter/olive oil mix.

Ms-gg
11-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Have you tried to use a sulfate free shampoo? Also, have you seen this thread:
http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77782

A lot of people found it successful....I haven't tried it yet so I can't vouch for it. But I am with you on the dryness thing...I am trying to drink more water to see if that helps because trying to find something externally that works is difficult....

frau
11-04-2009, 07:20 AM
piggy backing on ms-gg, get rid of sls in shampoos and cones in conditioners.
my hair is much softer BUT don't forget to moisturize.

Ms-gg
11-05-2009, 04:36 AM
Also, I think that you and me are in the same boat that we have VERY VERY VERY porous hair. Our hair lets the moisture in but it doesn't hold on to it. That is why I believe that when we ask for advice on products we need to be asking someone how porous are their hair and what works for them the best....somebody who doesn't have a hard time with keeping moisture in their hair probably uses different stuff than people who have very porous hair. Just my theory....