PDA

View Full Version : Straightened A Few Months Back And Now My Hair Wont Revert Please Help

rrjsa308
08-09-2009, 07:40 PM
I have bee natural for three years and although i love my napturalness, i wanted to try something different,so i used one of those straightners that they sell at the mall in those kiosks.Well i did it for about 2wks and thought when i washed my hair it would go back to normal (everybody else's does) boy was i wrong .My ends are straight and now i cant even where a fro..I just dont know what to do.. If this has happened to you and you can offre some advie please help a sista out.This was the first and only time i used a straightner. Now i have this straight hair and i dont even know how to style it.

spreerach
08-09-2009, 07:52 PM
OMG I feel sorry for you. I'm guessing this was not a permanent straightner but somehow it won't turn back!! I never experienced this but unfortunately my best guess is to wait another month or 2 and then cut off the ends that are straight if it does'nt go back!

EvesDilemma
08-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Sweetie I'm afraid it sounds like the damage is permanent-typically when you use these products (either chemical or iron based) it fuses your hair, and while you may get some of your kink back it will never go back to its original state. You may just have to chalk it up to a hair lesson and begin trimming off the straight pieces as your new growth continues to come in. In the meantime if you are concerned about masking it and don't want to lose your current length use protective styling until it is at a length where you are comfortable trimming.

Don't beat yourself up-I think everyone for the most part makes this kind of mistake once early in their natural hair journey. Just a matter of learning from your mistakes and making different choices next time. :)

simplypoetic08@yahoo.com
08-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Honey, I'm sorry to tell you this may be permanent.

Baggettcindy
08-09-2009, 09:07 PM
I think you should just keep washing it.....and just wait and see what happens as you keep your regular routine.

star13
08-09-2009, 09:41 PM
The short answer is that it has to be cut off, once it's permanently straight it's not going back. Don't feel too bad, I know most women don't want to cut their hair off, so transitioning back to natural is probably the route to go.

rrjsa308
08-09-2009, 10:28 PM
well ladies thanx for all the suggestions .. Idont really want to cut it all off right now so im gonna try and deal with it for now da best i can, but im still open to suggestions though.. I may try to do some research or hopefully some one will send me a succes story

GalaxyGirl2012
08-09-2009, 10:38 PM
let me get this straight... you used a straightening chemical on your hair and thought you could wash it out? :unsure:

you don't wash out chemical reactions... the structure of your hair's protein bonds has been switcheroonied. no amount of water,conditioner,or shampoo will alter the structure back to what it was before.

or is this a heat appliance? if it'sa heat appliance then using it for2 weeks probably damaged your hair. you can't undamage hair since hair is technically dead and unable to repair itself..

the moral of the story is get to snipping :)

AuNappturale
08-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Boy, it would've been a good thing to read the heat archives that's pinned up top. Plenty of horror stories to help you steer clear of heat. I suffered heat damage back in the day and had to cut my beautiful napps after 5 years of growth. It hurt me to my core. Nevertheless, it grew back strong and healthy within a year.

If you're not ready to cut off the damaged ends all at once, you can clip a bit each month. Good luck!

sunnysmile751
08-10-2009, 01:59 AM
Wait was it a chemical straightener or heat? Not that it makes much of a difference. I have had this before on the ends in one patch. Never again!

femmefatale713
08-10-2009, 03:20 AM
Some naps can use those tools and have successful reversion but definitely not all! Don't reach for the scissors just yet. I've heard many times of naps who straightened and deep conditioned A LOT and the curls came back. No, it may not have the same kinkiness it used to have, but it may blend in a lot better to where people won't notice. You can then continue to cut if you want. :D

GalaxyGirl2012
08-10-2009, 03:23 AM
Some naps can use those tools and have successful reversion but definitely not all! Don't reach for the scissors just yet. I've heard many times of naps who straightened and deep conditioned A LOT and the curls came back. No, it may not have the same kinkiness it used to have, but it may blend in a lot better to where people won't notice. You can then continue to cut if you want. :D
[/b]
after a few months?

nah kid... after 3-4 washing maybe but if it's been 3-4 months nothing short of a nappy magic wand will bring those naps back

sunnysmile751
08-10-2009, 04:16 AM
I have bee natural for three years and although i love my napturalness, i wanted to try something different,so i used one of those straightners that they sell at the mall in those kiosks.Well i did it for about 2wks and thought when i washed my hair it would go back to normal (everybody else's does) boy was i wrong .My ends are straight and now i cant even where a fro..I just dont know what to do.. If this has happened to you and you can offre some advie please help a sista out.This was the first and only time i used a straightner. Now i have this straight hair and i dont even know how to style it.
[/b]

Yikes I'm sorry this happened to you. I do think people should stop assuming they can go between straight and napptural. I know of people who straightened only once or for a short period like you did and permenant heat damage was the result. And the tighter the coil or finer the hair strands the more suscpetible people seem to be. http://rockyournatural.blogspot.com/2008/11/heat-damage.html

Your hair is damaged, no way to get around that. Anything you do at this point, even if it reverts most or all the way back it's damaged and you are only doing damage control. The hair cuticles will be very weak and less likely to lie flat. So just keep that that mind for any future processes or regimens to be extra gentle. For damage control some people expereince partial or even complete reversion from deep conditioner and protein treatments. Continue to to do protein treatments and deep conditioning regularly. Extra extra gentle in everything you do, leave in conditioner should always be in your hair from this point o, seal ends, sleep on satin, protective styles. No more chemical or heat processes (no flaming hot tool of hair torture, flat flaming hot tool of hair torture, blow dryer, dryer, or relaxers, or chemical dye) if you want to wear napptural hair in it's nautural state and at some point it won't look healthy even in straight state. Get a wig/weave when you want straight hair.

Unfortunately you might have to be ready for the possiblity that hair will never completely revert, hair has lost elasticity/shrinkage, tangle easily, be dull and break easily. In that case it's basically like transitioning, to let undamaged hair grow in that wll be a completely different texxture. You can do everything you do while transitioning froma chemical fire cream, protein treatments and deep conditioning whlie leaving hair out, knowing there will be a demarcation line. Empressri has a good fotki where she had heat damaged and natural hair. You can do protective styles to help out the transition.

Good luck

tmedley
08-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Try pouring some beer on it. My friend tried it after the Dominicans burned her hair straight - well it was loose curls in some spots and straight in others - but it curled back up after the beer and some serious deep conditioning.

ETA: Wait did you use a flat flaming hot tool of hair torture or a chemical? I'm confused. If it was a chemical there's nothing you can do.

PHIre4
08-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Try pouring some beer on it. My friend tried it after the Dominicans burned her hair straight - well it was loose curls in some spots and straight in others - but it curled back up after the beer and some serious deep conditioning.

ETA: Wait did you use a flat flaming hot tool of hair torture or a chemical? I'm confused. If it was a chemical there's nothing you can do.
[/b]

I agree. Beer does work. If someone you know has some beer sitting around the house that is preferably flat use that. But if not just rinse with a can of beer from the store.

Good luck keep up posted.

rrjsa308
08-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Ok ladies .. to clear up the confusion..i didnt use chemicals on my hair..I used some kinda ionc hat straightner..I will try the beer and the deep conditioning 2 nite and i will let u all know wat happen.. Should i leave the beer in for a while or just rinse with it?Ok and what kind of protien treatment should i use?

tmedley
08-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Ok ladies .. to clear up the confusion..i didnt use chemicals on my hair..I used some kinda ionc hat straightner..I will try the beer and the deep conditioning 2 nite and i will let u all know wat happen.. Should i leave the beer in for a while or just rinse with it?Ok and what kind of protien treatment should i use?
[/b]

I think you just rinse with the beer. As far as protein goes - I usually use that nasty aphogee one. It smells bad but it works. But I only do a heavy protein maybe once a year. I haven't really needed one since I got rid of my color.

KB
08-10-2009, 02:08 PM
meh, it'll revert back. just give it some time and be patient

taniseka
08-10-2009, 02:56 PM
If it has been burnt straight, it really won't revert back her natural texture. It may get a little crinkle to it, but that's it. Been there, done that :(

Fuesha
08-10-2009, 03:33 PM
OMG! Seriously, beer ya'll. IDK if yall say so, ik PHI does hair so im sure you'd know but i cant help but think back to when my girl tried to tell me you can strip perm out of your hair with beer and eggs :lol: mmm hell no, all thats going to do is give you dandruff free scalp and an well condished head of hair.

Girl them thangs from the mall where them people be trying to hawk you do as you walk by? I give them people the you better not even part your lips to ask me if i wanna mess up my hair.

Dont beat yourself up, we each have made various mistakes and your not the first person this has happened too.

Sorry to say tho, if you used this thing on a consistant bases for two weeks straight your hair is more than likely fried. If it doenst revert even a little after a serious dc or the beer thing then its done. Trim it little by little til all the damaged hair is gone and next time do what some of the other ladies here do, get a weave or buy a wig.

ccpalm
08-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Wow KB, you really believe that ?? I'm surprised at that response.

OP, I'm still confused. Was this a heat instrument that you describe? I don't think your hair will be the same as what you're used to. If you're not ready to cut it off then prepare to transition. I personally wouldn't take out the scissors just yet. But I do think - realistically - that if you want to get back to your original kinky, napptural state then you will have to let it grow out and treat your hair as if you were transitioning. Even try some of the conditioning suggestions. But know that once the hair has been damaged to heat or chemicals then it will not revert back.

As such I project you will slowly just have to snip off he straight ends a little at a time. But make the cutting decision when you're ready and chalk this up to experience. Your hair WILL grow back.

This is yet another thread that will end up in the heat archives so good luck.

Fuesha
08-10-2009, 03:53 PM
^^^^^yes it an iron shes talking about. You know, they have one of those carts in pretty much every friggin mall in america. YOu walk by and they try to stop anyone with str8 hair, curly hair or folks who the assume want str8 hair.

KB
08-10-2009, 03:59 PM
[/b]

:huh: yes i believe that. it happened to me before with a lil chunk of my hair by my ear which was seemingly straight then over time it blended in like the rest. nothing to stress over.

GalaxyGirl2012
08-10-2009, 04:14 PM
beer isn't going to work. some people are going to have this girl with a mix of monkey doodoo, mild tostito's salsa and seagram's gin on her head. what's next? a shaman praying over it?

1) she used this tool for 2 weeks, more than likely on a daily basis i'll bet even some days she did it more than once a day....
2) it's been a MONTHS since she did this and her hair still hasn't reverted.

i'm really surprised to see some of the responses in this thread :huh:

bhop13
08-10-2009, 05:06 PM
LOL at GG.

I did this during transition and I'm at the end of getting rid of heat damaged hair. I didn't want to lose the length so I just snip a little bit at a time....patience and perm rods are what work for me, lol.

But I don't think it'll revert if the the heat was frequent and it's been a long time and there had been no reversion. The best thing to do is to find ways to blend the textures and then snip a little bit at a time.

ABCDSMITH4
08-10-2009, 05:29 PM
GalaxyGirl2012
beer isn't going to work. some people are going to have this girl with a mix of monkey
doodoo, mild tostito's salsa and seagram's gin on her head. what's next? a shaman praying over it?[/b]

LOL :lol:
I agree with GG's advice. I don't think it will revert. It's damaged and the only way to correct it would be to trim it.

ccpalm
08-10-2009, 05:48 PM
1) she used this tool for 2 weeks, more than likely on a daily basis i'll bet even some days she did it more than once a day....
i'm really surprised to see some of the responses in this thread :huh:[/b]

ditto; especially at the bolded quote.....

angel_sista
08-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Yikes I'm sorry this happened to you. I do think people should stop assuming they can go between straight and napptural. I know of people who straightened only once or for a short period like you did and permenant heat damage was the result. And the tighter the coil or finer the hair strands the more suscpetible people seem to be. http://rockyournatural.blogspot.com/2008/11/heat-damage.html

Your hair is damaged, no way to get around that. Anything you do at this point, even if it reverts most or all the way back it's damaged and you are only doing damage control. The hair cuticles will be very weak and less likely to lie flat. So just keep that that mind for any future processes or regimens to be extra gentle. For damage control some people expereince partial or even complete reversion from deep conditioner and protein treatments. Continue to to do protein treatments and deep conditioning regularly. Extra extra gentle in everything you do, leave in conditioner should always be in your hair from this point o, seal ends, sleep on satin, protective styles. No more chemical or heat processes (no flaming hot tool of hair torture, flat flaming hot tool of hair torture, blow dryer, dryer, or relaxers, or chemical dye) if you want to wear napptural hair in it's nautural state and at some point it won't look healthy even in straight state. Get a wig/weave when you want straight hair.

Unfortunately you might have to be ready for the possiblity that hair will never completely revert, hair has lost elasticity/shrinkage, tangle easily, be dull and break easily. In that case it's basically like transitioning, to let undamaged hair grow in that wll be a completely different texxture. You can do everything you do while transitioning froma chemical fire cream, protein treatments and deep conditioning whlie leaving hair out, knowing there will be a demarcation line. Empressri has a good fotki where she had heat damaged and natural hair. You can do protective styles to help out the transition.

Good luck
[/b]

Off topic...but I did not write this post. I deleted my board cookies and got signed in as another name. I signed out quick but wasn't fast enough I guess. Good advice though.

sunnysmile751
08-10-2009, 06:13 PM
^^^ WTF? I was signed in as Eniola! Sorry Eniola did NOT write that post.

GalaxyGirl2012
08-10-2009, 06:19 PM
^^^
:ninj: :pop:

mymy
08-10-2009, 06:19 PM
I deleted my board cookies and got signed in as another name. I signed out quick but wasn't fast enough I guess. Good advice though.
[/b]
The same thing happened to me yesterday. And I had to sign out of that person's account twice!

rhoglnn
08-10-2009, 06:36 PM
If it were me I would try the beer and the monkey doo doo before I cut it off. :lol:

GalaxyGirl2012
08-10-2009, 06:39 PM
wow i didnt know that could happen. don't you all need passwords to log in? how are you getting logged ino to someone else account when they've never logged in on your computer? :unsure:

femmefatale713
08-10-2009, 06:40 PM
after a few months?

nah kid... after 3-4 washing maybe but if it's been 3-4 months nothing short of a nappy magic wand will bring those naps back
[/b]

She said it's been 3-4 months?? If that's the case maybe you should gradually cut it off. I'm never one to just cut off everything all at once. You can still find a way to style it and before you know it, all the straightened parts will be out.

eta: Ok so I see she said it's been months. Did she really straighten daily?? I need more details. If I were in this situation I wouldn't cut all at once. I might just wear protective styles for a while till the length is back, then cut. That's just me. But then again I NEVER use heating tools so...unless using a blow dryer to quicken the drying process counts as too much heat.

mymy
08-10-2009, 06:45 PM
wow i didnt know that could happen. don't you all need passwords to log in? how are you getting logged ino to someone else account when they've never logged in on your computer? :unsure:
[/b]
I don't know how it happened. I always need to login with a password, so I knew something was up right away. Maybe its one of the glitches that they said could happen?

KB
08-10-2009, 06:58 PM
for those who said that they are surprised at some of the responses, specifically was my response one of them? if so, why?

star13
08-10-2009, 07:11 PM
beer isn't going to work. some people are going to have this girl with a mix of monkey doodoo, mild tostito's salsa and seagram's gin on her head. what's next? a shaman praying over it?

i'm really surprised to see some of the responses in this thread :huh:
[/b]

I agree with you, but I'm the kind of person who would head straight to the barber shop and have it shaved off. Hanging on to long hair doesn't mean anything to me, my hair has already proven it grows back from a twa to shoulder length or more in a year or so, that's not so long to wait.

GalaxyGirl2012
08-10-2009, 07:23 PM
for those who said that they are surprised at some of the responses, specifically was my response one of them? if so, why?
[/b]
because certain responses i personally don't expect from vets. i mean come on, she says it's been months since she did it and it hasn't reverted....

there are many lurkers on this site many of whom assume that the amount of time you've been on the site/# of posts you have is an indication of your believability.

for every 1 person who posts a topic on how to get their hair to revert back after MONTHS of it not going back, there's probably 3-4 lurkers who are thinking of heat styling, reading this thread and thinking :icon_thinkerg: "i'll just heat style like mad and then i can pour beer and aphogee all over it when i'm done and it'll be alright...yeehawww".. i think putting false hopes in people's heads is just a little irresponsible, not to mention it's somewhat against the MO of this site.

femmefatale713
08-10-2009, 07:32 PM
because certain responses i personally don't expect from vets. i mean come on, she says it's been months since she did it and it hasn't reverted....

there are many lurkers on this site many of whom assume that the amount of time you've been on the site/# of posts you have is an indication of your believability.

for every 1 person who posts a topic on how to get their hair to revert back after MONTHS of it not going back, there's probably 3-4 lurkers who are thinking of heat styling, reading this thread and thinking :icon_thinkerg: "i'll just heat style like mad and then i can pour beer and aphogee all over it when i'm done and it'll be alright...yeehawww".. i think putting false hopes in people's heads is just a little irresponsible, not to mention it's somewhat against the MO of this site.
[/b]

I don't think it's false hope. No her texture will never be what it was, but if you're into length, I don't see the point of cutting everything off until you're ready. I know of two naturals who attend my school who've had these situations occur and their hair didn't revert even after the fifth wash. But after many trials and errors, you couldn't point out the damage from their hair, and when it grew out, they cut out the damaged parts. If however you feel comfortable cutting it all off, by all means do it. I think it completely depends on how you feel about length. It's the same for those who BC a little too early and regret the decision imo.

GalaxyGirl2012
08-10-2009, 07:47 PM
^ the OP didn't mention length..the title of the thread is
Straightened A Few Months Back And Now My Hair Wont Revert Please Help
:lol:

she wants her hair to revert back to the texture it was before she used the whatever thing it was. it's been MONTHS (am i seriously the only one who sees that in the title or what? :unsure: ) and it hasn't reverted. it's not going to revert...

if her goal is to protect length then by all means, keep the damaged area and snip gradually

if her goal is to get it to revert back - as she indicates in the OP- then i stand by the idea that telling someone to use beer, protein treatments, etc after MONTHS of her trying who knows what else is false hope and also setting dangerous examples to people who might be thinking of doing the same thing because they don't fully appreciate that heat can cause permanent damage to naps

KB
08-10-2009, 08:14 PM

[/b]

everybody's hair is different. like i mentioned before, this has happened to me but i certainly didn't stress or worry about it (nor did i attest to the "beer solution"- obviously). YES it took several months for it to go back to the way it was, but it was still manageable and there was no need for me to cut it. I forgot about it and it just reverted back on it's own.

honestly, i feel that the responses on NP when it comes to hair are more exaggerated than it needs to be. That's why i typically keep my responses short on hair threads...

Dykibra
08-10-2009, 08:43 PM
meh, it'll revert back. just give it some time and be patient
[/b]

We don't know for sure if it will revert back only because its been months. But I have used that flat-iron recently (EWWWW! I have never heard hair BURN-UGH!) but my tightly coiled 4AB hair coiled right back up-but I did it one time and got lucky.....However I agree with KB about NOT cutting or stressing over it.....

In your position, I would go back to your normal shampoo/conditioner, etc regimen, and wear protective hairstyles. Between styles, I would slowly dust or trim the ends, while keeping it clean/conditioned, and moisturized. Also use a gentle detangler product to prevent those icky tangles and go RIGHT BACK into a protective hairstyle....I did this when I was "transitioning".

So you are sacrificing wearing it "out" per se, but you can keep the hair protected at the very least and you'd be keeping some of the length as the newer nappier growth comes in!

As far as the lack of reversion, take the loss of your curliecues/nappiness for now and take control of your beautiful hair again! Protective styles like twists and braids MAY help....However we should all be dusting/trimming our hair regularly so you'll be clipping those ends anyway....But hold the shears for the BC if you can't handle it!

ccpalm
08-10-2009, 08:46 PM
[quote]

I guess my surprise with your response came because you're a vet, the knowledge that this board doesn't advocate heat, the fact that the OP shared this wasn't just a one-time mistake of using heat but something repeated over what some may consider a significant amount of time, and the fact that those who've been around for a minute knows this thread will be placed in the heat archive. As a matter of fact I'm surprised it's reached to 3 pages already....

It was not my intent to put you on blast. I honestly was shocked at your response based on the reasons presented. And yes, I too agree that many people exaggerate issues on any type of board. But for the sake of the OP I hope she finds the help she needs from the responses given and like I said before, "lesson learned". Everyone's hair IS different and what works for one doesn't work for all. You clarified what happened to you (this was the information I didn't know which also added to my surprise that's all). In any event, OP Good luck.....

liberationtheory
08-10-2009, 09:07 PM
well i'm a vet that had severe heat damage in the past. and i only flat-ironed once a month. over time, my hair appeared to revert but it definitely wasnt the same-- wouldnt hold twists, wouldnt hold braids, etc. i would spend hours twisting my hair only for them to literally fall out by the end of the day.

i think that ppl are getting aesthetic and health confused. sure it may LOOK like her hair reverted back but is it healthy? if we are only concerned with blending it in, length, how it will look and not healthy napptural hair, why are we on NP?? there are plenty of other boards that have advice for the LOOK.

damn, i sound like dee.

EvesDilemma
08-10-2009, 09:20 PM
well i'm a vet that had severe heat damage in the past. and i only flat-ironed once a month. over time, my hair appeared to revert but it definitely wasnt the same-- wouldnt hold twists, wouldnt hold braids, etc. i would spend hours twisting my hair only for them to literally fall out by the end of the day.

i think that ppl are getting aesthetic and health confused. sure it may LOOK like her hair reverted back but is it healthy? if we are only concerned with blending it in, length, how it will look and not healthy napptural hair, why are we on NP?? there are plenty of other boards that have advice for the LOOK.

damn, i sound like dee.
[/b]
:lol: You really do :D

Karibana
08-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Sounds to me that if after months the hair hasn't reverted then it's permanently damaged. So I say either blend it in, trim it as it grows out or do a chop. Another cautionary tale to me.

:offtop: @GG: the servers assign you a cookie when you log go to ID you. But if you log in at the same time as someone else, they can get confused and do an ID switch.

Soul Rebel
08-10-2009, 09:50 PM
As someone who works with hair

i think that ppl are getting aesthetic and health confused. sure it may LOOK like her hair reverted back but is it healthy? if we are only concerned with blending it in, length, how it will look and not healthy napptural hair, why are we on NP?? there are plenty of other boards that have advice for the LOOK.[/b]

that is EXACTLY right on. Once the bonds have been broken, they've been broken. PERIOD no matter what they look like. So it depends on what is important to you OP; If you want your hair to just LOOK nappy, pour beer on it or whatever. If you want it to BE healthy and fully nappy, i'd recommend gradually trimming the dead hair as new growth comes in.