PDA

View Full Version : Just had my SL Consultation - I'm almost there

Huntress
10-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Hi Ladies,

I'm just one step away from my SL. Iíve just had my consultation, and after a 2 1/2 hour consultation (which must be some sort of record) I left feeling that I had made the right decision. Both in consultant and type of locks.

The consultation began with completion of a registration form (which had a scary health and safety section). I was actually a little shocked that some people would considered getting locks with serious flaky scalp conditions, contagious skin conditions, open sores etc. But then again I guess some people need to have this stuff explained to them.

She asked what I knew about sisterlocks and why I wanted them. I explained, that I had done everything to my hair (relaxed it, coloured it, had weave, micro braids, decided to go natural, had my natural hair out then moved onto protective styles). She explained the history, why they were different from normal locks etc. As I knew this from my own research and you ladies here she kept it brief. We then went through the form and she questioned some of my responses. I believed that I had flaky scalp with very thin hair on the sides (which is what I stated on the form). When she analysed my hair to work out what would be best for me, she confirmed that I did not have flaky scalp (I was just not used to having no product in my hair). Nor did I have thin hair, just fine hair which was pretty dense. I guess, I hadnít realised that the years of my hair being natural had restored its density, and I no longer have the thin lifeless hair I used to have.

We then looked a lots of pictures of sisterlock horror stories, to ensure I knew potential what could go wrong if I didnít follow instructions. I saw:

hair that had been over washed which removed the sisterlocks
hair that had been coated in product, and not washed
hair that was full of lint
sisterlocks that had been installed by someone with little skill, leaving the client with traditional locks in parts, small locks and sls
and finally (and the most scary) mouldy scalp

I pretty much learnt that I would need to follow the rules otherwise I could be on the wall of horror.

We also looked a ladies with very similar to mine to work out what exactly I was looking for as an end result. She then showed my all the various stages each lady when through to get to the glorious locks I admired. It was really good to see freshly install sisterlocks on hair similar to mine. It has really prepared me for my journey. Thanks to my hair density, I will not have as much scalp showing as I feared. But there will still be scalp showing. She advised that I try limiting my hair products so that I donít have to go cold turkey.

To end of my consultation, we then discussed the price. This was the shock. Getting my dense 7Ē (it was measured with a rule) was going to cost serious money. Iím not saying how much, as my price would is not the same as everyone else £350 and Iím way over that.

Either way, I had made my decision, paid my deposit and booked my 3 day session.

I will be locked on the 9th to 11th Nov.

I'm almost there

:))

Fuesha
10-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Congrats on being on the way to starting your loc journee. Its nice to see that there are still some reputable sl'consultants that are talking the time to do the consultations and making sure you understand what you are getting,etc.

Maybe i missed it or you forgot to mention, but did she install several test locs?

Huntress
10-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Hi Fuesha-ristic

Opps - I forgot to mension she installed test locks of various sizes. She also confirmed they will be removed when my sisterlocks are installed. I've 2-strand twished the rest of my hair so i can start to get used to how i will be looking in my baby lock stage. :)

misslead
10-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Good luck on your journey... Keep us informed...

LeeshK
10-20-2009, 12:56 AM
:D Congratulations on setting the date!! Can't wait to hear more about your journey.

CinnamonBiscuit
10-20-2009, 01:01 AM
Congratulations and good luck with everything.:)

runtx
10-20-2009, 01:08 AM
Awesome!! I was curious about what the consultations were like. I can't wait to see pics!!

nexus
10-20-2009, 02:00 AM
Congrats girl, all you have to do is sell a kidney & your there. :D

aishad
10-20-2009, 02:24 AM
Sounds like she did a thorough consultation. I didn't get to see pictures of moldy scalps :(

Anyway, congrats on starting your journey!!!

Huntress
10-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks for all the support ladies. I'm going to start taking pictures once I have them installed, as at the moment it would just be little old me :)

I'm still shocked about some of those pictures. I can't believe someone had the nerve to go to a lock consultant with hair mould. It wasn't actually locks, she had mould in her hair!!!!! I didn't even think that was possible.

Fuesha
10-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Sounds like she did a thorough consultation. I didn't get to see pictures of moldy scalps :(

Anyway, congrats on starting your journey!!!
Me either! Ewww but at the same time i knew of it.

Thanks for all the support ladies. I'm going to start taking pictures once I have them installed, as at the moment it would just be little old me :)

I'm still shocked about some of those pictures. I can't believe someone had the nerve to go to a lock consultant with hair mould. It wasn't actually locks, she had mould in her hair!!!!! I didn't even think that was possible.
Oh its very possible. If you dont cleanse your scalp and hair throughly and you go to sleep on wet locs constantly it can easily happen.

~GAN~
10-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Congrats!!! Can't wait to see them! I'm glad she was thorough with you! :)

Huntress
10-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Think I have done everything I can do. Roll on the 9th Nov. :)

Napp Fabulous
10-31-2009, 03:16 AM
Congrats to you. I know you will love them.

mirlondon
10-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the through description of your consultation as I am thinking of sisterlocks as well and descriptions of the process help.

Three days sounds like alot is it because of your schedule or is it that the consultant wants to stay fresh?

Huntress
10-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the through description of your consultation as I am thinking of sisterlocks as well and descriptions of the process help.

Three days sounds like alot is it because of your schedule or is it that the consultant wants to stay fresh?

I think the process will take a while as my hair is medium lenght and slight dense. It could be done in. 14 hours but I would time be taken ans it not be rushed. I'm spending a lot of money so want to make sure the end result is as nice as it could be.

remilaku
10-31-2009, 09:50 PM
Congrats girl, all you have to do is sell a kidney & your there. :D
Now thats funny!

Ofo
11-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Congrats, although I cringed when you said well over £350. Still the main thing is - you get exactly what you want and it sounds like she is very meticulous in her approach. Do lets see some photos of your install.

philly1206
11-02-2009, 03:45 AM
i'm glad you found someone who thoroughly knew her stuff

good luck and post pics! :D

Huntress
11-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Less than a week to go, I'm very excited but a little nervous. Guess that's normal

Denny
11-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Congrats on taking the locking journey, there are quite a few us SLs in the London area.

Luvsisterlocks
11-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi Ladies,

Either way, I had made my decision, paid my deposit and booked my 3 day session.

I will be locked on the 9th to 11th Nov.

I'm almost there

:))

Congrats to you!!!!

I delayed myself in starting SLs because I asked too many people should I get them instead of making my own decision. I started traditional locs in Jan. 09 and wore them for about 7 months.

I wasn't feeling the traditional ones because SLs were in my heart.

I decided to switch from traditional ones to SLs. I was not loced at all during the 7 months of my traditional locs.

I went to a consultation for SLs with the traditional locs in and the consultant was very honest and informative.
He installed some sample SLs and I wore them in for a few days.

I made my decision to get them and paid the deposit.

I had 8" plus of natural hair going into SLs. So my package was expensive but I do not regret one penny. I picked out my traditional locs with no problem.

I am in love with my SLs. It has been about 2 months.

So SLs are a personal preference. My advice to anyone is that wearing locs is a beautiful thing and it takes thought to decide to loc in the first place.

It is a personal preference to wear traditional locs or sisterlocks.

Make the right decision for you!

ya~akua
11-07-2009, 09:24 PM
congrats :)

missjade
11-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Welp. Thanks for sharing. Today is the start of your journey, hope you're ready! Good luck, have fun and welcome to the SL fam! I'm in love with mine:))

~MJ~

runtx
11-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Bumping for updates!! I hope it went or is going well :D

Huntress
11-10-2009, 10:39 PM
The process has begun.

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=28&pictureid=257

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=28&pictureid=259

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=28&pictureid=258

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=28&pictureid=260
(Crazy Ends)

mirlondon
11-10-2009, 10:45 PM
It looks fantastic!

Huntress
11-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Bumping for updates!! I hope it went or is going well :D

PS - thanks :D

runtx
11-10-2009, 10:51 PM
They are looking great!!

aishad
11-10-2009, 11:15 PM
They look nice. Very neat. Are you getting the "traditional" Sisterlock size? I can't tell.

Huntress
11-10-2009, 11:47 PM
They look nice. Very neat. Are you getting the "traditional" Sisterlock size? I can't tell.

I don't think this is the traditional sisterlock size. Mine should end up little bigger, but still small locks. I can't manage super fine locks. Plus I prefer locks that look more like locks.

thefineprint
11-11-2009, 01:26 AM
I don't think this is the traditional sisterlock size. Mine should end up little bigger, but still small locks. I can't manage super fine locks. Plus I prefer locks that look more like locks.

They look like a really nice size! Mine aren't the traiditional micro 600+ size either. I have medium sized sisterlocks which makes retightening soooooo much easier and faster. Congrats on your new journey!

Perfect_Imperfection
11-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience! Your hair looks great. :) I have a consultation on the 15th of Dec. (I plan early lol) and hopefully it goes well. I would like to get mine a little larger and hopefully the price isn't too bad considering how much hair I have now and how thick it is...I'm praying for the best.

~GAN~
11-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Cute Huntress!!!!!!! :))

bebedee
11-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Oooh Huntress.....I think we may be hair twins, and I have been SERIOUSLY thinking about getting SLs installed. Your pics are encouraging me even more.....:))

QueenLocks
11-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Nice, Very nice~ Enjoy~ :)

aishad
11-13-2009, 06:26 PM

I don't have the "traditional" sizing either, I wanted there to be no mistake about if I had locs or microbraids. Teeny locs are so beautiful, but the maintenance...Lawd!!

Denny
11-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Looks great, how many did your consultant install, I have around 400 or so but doubled some over the years so its probably 350 by now.

Huntress
11-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Looks great, how many did your consultant install, I have around 400 or so but doubled some over the years so its probably 350 by now.

She was counting each section as she went to make sure it was all even, but we stopped counting when we were getting near the end. I was just happy, at how nice it was turning out. At the moment my hair looks like a style, not something I'm doing to get to a style. I'm really loving it.